(Close Window)
Topic: Favorite Sleight, Anybody?
I know as magicians we are not supposed to be fascinated with sleights for their own sake, but I was wondering if anybody here has a a favorite sleight that they just enjoy using all the time?

I'm talking about that one that is super simple but very deceptive and every time you use it you grin like a monkey on the inside because it's so slick.
Gambler's Bottom Palm.
Good one.

I take a lot of delight on something I picked up from a Slydini volume years ago. After a repeated coin vanish to the pocket, (I prefer silver dollars) I pull the "coin" out of my pocket one more time.

Um, except for the fact that my fingers which hold the coin are actually empty. But Slydini taught that the facial expressions (and the body language) must MIRROR the belief that the coin is REAL.

I place this real coin in my left hand and tell them to watch as closely as they can. I encourage them to BURN my left hand with the coin.

Of course, the "coin" vanishes right under their nose, and the right hand is cleanly shown empty as it goes to the pocket to retrieve the coin one more time.

Done correctly and with absolute conviction that the phantom coin is real, it will smoke their mind every time. Never saw it fail even once. Never been called on it.

I suppose that is not really a sleight as much as it is a ruse, but I smile inside every time I do it because its so devilish.

I did this just yesterday to a guy who had some gorgeous collector, colorful US Marine coins that he had planned to give to his daughter. They are at least the size of silver dollars, and the fact that I used HIS coins really messed with his head.
My favorite? Mickey Silver's Ultimate Vanish. A Retention Pass, that, every coin magician that has seen it went :wow:

Doug
Giggle pass, R.O.P.S. move. Smoked them every time!
Palmer Clip. After learning this from Bill I have created dozens of new effects using it (some available as an eBook) and am continuously finding new applications. Can't live without it -- especially with my crippled hands.
I'm going to go the other way and say my favorite slights are the ones meant for the spectators to see.
I vote for the muscle pass. (Back palm fan productions are a close second.)
I like the Bo Bo coin switch.
I pretend I don't have any coins and thumb palm either a penny or a half dollar if I have one on me. I switch what ever they give me. I'll look at the penny, "Hey, I thought you gave me a quarter?" or "Wow! Kenedy Half dollar? Sweet!" Either way I swtich it back and hand them what ever they gave me.
My favorite sleight is strangely the classic palm. I can't help trying to palm everything and anything I can find that fits into my hand.
The "pitch and ditch" is slick, and great when vanishing a coin.
Double Lift
French drop and variations. Now, stop giggling. It works for most objects, makes subsequent total vanishes easy and it's reliable. By reliable, I mean, compared to the vernon wand spin, strike vanish, or (coins) HPC, himber vanish and back palm, any of which can leave the audience picking coins out of their hair.
Cards -- my double lift now that I can finally do one! (Yay! Thank you Greg Wilson.)

Coins -- toss up between the thumb palm (in and out for miser's dream) and what Bill Tarr simply calls the "Coin Switch" in Now You See It, Now You Don't.
Strike Vanish !!! It's so open, clean, super visual, and no one ever figures out where it went. Oh, and yes it does cause the monkey grin. I second the classic palm as well.
The TCAPT revelation. ( top-card-air-pressure-turn-over )
Whatever gets the job done, well, at the moment that I'm using it.
The Depth Illusion or Elmsley count.
The French Drop is great when done well, and I do it well if I do say so myself. I also love the Revolution Coin Vanish also. It works very well with the clothing I normally find myself in and with the right build up it total kills.

There is a coin through the back of your hand trick I learned when I was 11 or so which I think is in Bobo's book. Rub a coin on the back of your left hand, show that your left hand is empty almost as an after thought, continue to rub the coin on the back of the hand and then reveal that it has passed through your hand and is now inside your closed fist. It takes some timing but I have been doing it for decades now so I can do it in my sleep.
I know and do several passes but sometimes when working with cards and it's been a long night and cards have exchanged hands it's the 15th time I'm going a trick..favorite sleight that bails me out is the Double Undercut.
Cards - Dribble pass, double lift
Coins - the classic palm
They Never brought me :)
I have to second the French Drop, though it was mch easier before I got married with the wedding ring because I used to immediately put it into finger palm...as for the revolution vanish...guess I gotta pull Bobo out again.
If it fits, Im sleeving it.
Tenkai pinch for coins, Backpalm for cards.
I am fond of a false cut that I came up with about 15 years ago that I've been calling the "Chuckle Cut" mainly because I have to smile to myself everytime I use it. It's a tabled multiple packet cut that doesn't use any breaks and for many spectators (including some magicians) it can be done slowly. I hardly use it anymore due to the fact that the movements no longer fit the style in which I handle the cards in most tricks, but sometimes I do it just for my own amusement.
I like the 1 hand top palm for cards if done right like any other slight it fools them outright. For coins the back clip when I saw sankey do it on one of his vids it looked great you can show your hands empty then bam....
The gravity half pass. Works wonders with Barrie Richardsons Card at any number/ A little misdirection works well too
Backpalm,

I don't think it is particularly useful but something about it makes me smile inside.
Back palm with cards. Fun to watch the reactions and easy to do with any flexible card
Retention vanish for coins
Spider vanish.. Very easy and kills them all the time..
Double lift with cards, retention vanish for... pretty much everything else.
I am a big fan of a retention vanish too!
For cards I like the deck twist from art of astonishment. great one to end a routine.
For coins I like the thumb palm :) I use in the old vanish and appearance (not sure of the name) by (i think....) Slydini(?) :) I also use it in the bobo switch. I have to agree with people who say the tenkai pinch :) That's another one of my favorites! Probably cause it took so long to get down right! :lol:

For cards the classic force :) I smile on the inside every time I get that right! :D I'm not that good at it but I still enjoy doing it :)
Lliam
For me it's the nowhere palm display and the sylvester pitch. SO much fun, and great for impromptu coin stuff!
I use the thumb palm and finger palm the most
but I love doing the back clip.
For cards, the double lift
I just love the Vernon wandspin vanish. Never fails reactions in my cups&balls. Just looks impossible and like real magic! I sometimes conclude the move with a drumstick spin (i think that's how it's called) to prove I have not dopped the ball. Even though there was never any specatator saying they thought the ball was in the other hand...
I love retention vanishes and french drops/pops. The downs palm is also a favourite along with the classic back palm. Ramsay and Capps subtleties are wicked too. Thanks for all the wisdom.
Hmm, hard to say just one. Goshman, ROV, a good French Drop is really deceptive especially when used with some feints.
Cards; Double Lift. I can do an entire show using nothing but a DL.

Coins; French Drop. Extremely deceptive and versatile.
Card :: Derek Dingle Double lift, SwE Shift/
Billiard balls :: Ferres two ball upside down juggle.
Sponges :: David stone Vnaish
Coins :: stone drop.