(Close Window)
Topic: Sleeve-Star by David Jay & Wizard FX Productions
Hi Guys,

SLEEVE-STAR is coming soon from David Jay & Wizard FX Productions.

This is the link for the Teaser Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHZOezbQFb4
“I don’t do other people’s magic, but this I will do”. Gregory Wilson

This product will be launched at the L.A.D.s convention on the 3rd of October 2010. Details at http://www.worldmagicstore.com

All the best,

David Penn
OK! coming from Gregory Wilson that's a pretty strong endorsement!

So what is it? What the heck is a buh- ril- yant sleeve star???
Well now I just want to know what it is! If Gregory Wilson is loving it, I'm going to take a guess that I will love it. Just a guess...
Yuppers. Greg's endorsement is high praise that commands my immediate attention.
I've just seen this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSBuiLeEL30&feature=sub

I think there must be a vacuum cleaner, which runs across the jacket lol, haven't got a clue!

Bring on LADS
Looks pretty darn cool! Seems to me the strength lies in the obvious separation distance between the hands before the coin is teleported. In other words, it's obvious to the spectator that the hands come no where near each other. First it's in location A, then a second later it's in location B. Very strong. We're talking "Beam me up, Scotty"

But do you NEED to duck the hand behind the back? I wonder if you can do it with the receiving hand in PLAIN SIGHT? For instance, spread your arms widely, closed fists, and they see it vanish from the first hand to the next with no ducking behind your back.

Is that possible? Because if it is, then this is TRULY a visual miracle.
SOLD.

As for a Doug's comment, I think it's more deceptive with the other hand behind the back. Let's face it, laypeople think everything disappears into ones sleeves even if one is wearing a short sleeved shirt. Having one hand behind the back breaks the image of the possibility of the coin/object going up one sleeve and coming out the other.
I'll take two. :)
Wow that is pretty dang cool looking!
[quote]
On 2010-09-10 13:32, kissdadookie wrote:
SOLD.

As for a Doug's comment, I think it's more deceptive with the other hand behind the back. Let's face it, laypeople think everything disappears into ones sleeves even if one is wearing a short sleeved shirt. Having one hand behind the back breaks the image of the possibility of the coin/object going up one sleeve and coming out the other.
[/quote]

Out of curiosity, Why?

I must admit with the long sleeves this is EXACTLY what I thought... some kind of pull that goes up the sleeve,a cross the shoulder and down into the cuff of the other sleeve.

Why does having it behind the back make you think this isn't happening? In fact to me it makes me think more strongly that it IS happening and that the re-tuck of the pull into the sleeve needs to be hidden.

Please note that this is NOT a reveal. I have never seen this gadget and have no idea how it works. This is just a discussion of what my thought process is on watching the performance.
Think about it, there's that extra layer of how the other arm is bent back, there's very clear breaks in the line. Know what I mean? Of course it could be possible but then one would be thinking of an even crazier pulley system than if they just saw the other arm resting by the side. Think of it as if you were to draw a path, it's a very straight line with very little if any obstructions, with the the other arm bent and behind the back like that, the path gets noticeably more complicated.

Think about that pulley system you've mentioned. It would be easy if the other arm was straight and resting by the side. With the other arm behind the back and bent like that, now you have a completely different and crazy contraption (which this is clearly not) if one was to think a pulley system is involved because now it has to go straight one arm, across the shoulder, down half the other arm, and then deliver it HORIZONTALLY to the waiting hand.

In other words, you're trying to distance where the object ends up from the most obvious places. It's like if you pocket write in one pocket, it's best to remove the billet from a pocket in a completely different pocket away from the place the work took place in. Like if you pocket wrote in your left front pants pocket, you should retrieve the billet from the chest pocket of a coat, etc. The more layers that one can add to muddy up the line of obviousness, the better.

*** These are just my takes on this by the way. For all I know, I can be completely off the mark :P
The effect is nice and neat, but I think it's a trick for magicians. We can accomplish the same effect to a laymen just by doing any false transfer.
I don't know. I'm not saying the effect does not look good in a layman's eyes, but I have this funny thing about sticking my hands behind my back when I'm performing. I'd rather avoid it as much as possible. I prefer both hands out in the open where they can clearly see them to dispel the notion that I'm doing "something funny" behind my back.
'

I have tapes of Pavel, who does mostly cabaret, but in many of his effects he employs the old hands behind the back ruse, and to me it always reminded me of covering an object with a cloth before you vanish it. Yes we do it, and it's often a necessary expediency, and it's common in magic, but how does the layman view it?

Isn't it better to do things out in the open if we possibly can?

I don't know. I'm sort of on the fence on it, since I can see the strengths and weaknesses of both ways. I lean toward openness, though.

Just my take on it
I totally agree with you BUT with the effect in the demo video, there's no need to dispel funny behind the back business since the coin is clearly in the outreached hand up in the front. In the spec's mind, there is no doubt that the coin is there, in that hand. One hand behind the back dispels any funny business, the coin then appearing in the hand behind the back just lands a surprise KO punch of an ending. With one hand behind the back and a very OPEN outreached hand in the front holding the object which is about to disappear, it does not get cleaner then this. What funny business can ONE hand, outreached and completely in the open, do to the object? Well, we all know better, but from the audience's point of view, the object is at that point, impervious to manipulation AND the coin is signed so that kills the "there must be a dupe" solution in their mind. Mind you, the object could also be a borrowed diamond ring if one wishes :D
On the good side I think that the coin trick looks great.

All the best to all,

Simon
Hey Guys,

This utility device is awesome.

Tomorrow we launch the third teaser trailer,
Sleeve Star Teaser Trailer 3 - Anniversary Coins (No Frills)

No hands behind backs all in plain view.

This freaked me out when I first had it performed on me.

If you want to keep bang up to date on this, visit here and join up.

http://forms.sign-up.to/signup.php?fid=2564&pid=9968

This product is available to pre-order from tomorrow 11th September 2010. The shipping date is 4th October 2010.

Dealers can obtain this from Murphys Magic Supplies by ordering right now

best wishes
Jim
It looks wonderful but I have sworn off pre-orders forever.
[quote]
On 2010-09-10 19:55, slyhand wrote:
It looks wonderful but I have sworn off pre-orders forever.
[/quote]

Hey Sly just come over for the LADS convention in Birmingham UK on 3rd October and pick one up at the launch.

Have a long weekend trip and also catch Axel Hecklau with his latest Lecture :)

best wishes
Jim
I hope to make my way over there one day. Maybe when I visit my friend in Ireland I'll take a side trip.
Price ?
This looks HOT! I really like it! Just a question... Is it possible to do in a dress shirt, or only a jacket?
I think the answer to that is that if it's sleeving appropriate, it should be ok with this (it looks like a delivery system for the object after one sleeves the object).
Sir Smedley Dancy here...Simon man it was good catching up with you in NYC. Had a blast with you the evening after MNM. I certainly hope that our paths cross again soon. I loved the ideas you shared with me and can't wait to see you on White Collar. Here's a fun link...
http://www.mobypicture.com/user/lukedancy/view/7110115

The coin effect does look pretty cool.

luke
Hi Guys here is the link for Sleeve Star Teaser Trailer Number 3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6Xy8jU8V_A
Enjoy.

You can order this here now. http://www.worldmagicstore.com/product_info.php?products_id=6292

Have a good Weekend
Jim
[quote]
On 2010-09-10 21:51, LeViking wrote:
Price ?
[/quote]

£95.00
[quote]
On 2010-09-10 21:11, slyhand wrote:
I hope to make my way over there one day. Maybe when I visit my friend in Ireland I'll take a side trip.
[/quote]

If you do Sly we will make you very welcome
Jim

Posted: Sep 11, 2010 6:36am
Have a great weekend
Jim
[quote]
On 2010-09-11 06:19, DougNicols wrote:
[quote]
Price ?
[/quote]

£95.00
[/quote]

How about American bucks?
[quote]
On 2010-09-11 10:23, daffydoug wrote:
[quote]
On 2010-09-11 06:19, DougNicols wrote:
[quote]
Price ?
[/quote]

£95.00
[/quote]

How about American bucks?
[/quote]

Hi Daffy it is $146.00 and it is on Murphy's site so dealers can order it.

You can also get it here:- http://www.worldmagicstore.com/product_info.php?products_id=6292

Because you are in the USA the checkout process will remove the reail sales tax included in the price.
It will work out at about the same price with the tracked Airsure Shipping takes 4 - 7 days once shipped which will be October 4th.

Best Wishes
Jim
Does the gimmick need to be assembled once we receive the package, or is that already done for us? If it's not done, how difficult is this to install? On a scale from 1 to 5 with 1 being very easy and 5 being very difficult? Thanks.

Regards,
Mike
[quote]
On 2010-09-11 10:48, insight wrote:
Does the gimmick need to be assembled once we receive the package, or is that already done for us? If it's not done, how difficult is this to install? On a scale from 1 to 5 with 1 being very easy and 5 being very difficult? Thanks.

Regards,
Mike
[/quote]
Hi Mike,

Dvd comes complete with manufactured Utility Device which can easily be put into any jacket or long sleeved shirt.

Complete and detailed instructions are on the DVD and this will take a very short time to set up in whatever item of clothing (Jacket or Shirt) you decide to put it into. It is fully transferrable from one jacket to another it takes around ten mins to set up then you are good to go.

David can set his up in any jacket or shirt in around 4 minutes, however, he has been using it for a long time.

Best wishes
Jim
Luke great to see you too ... let me know when you are back in NYC. Smedley misses you!

All the best to all,

Simon
Hi Guys here is the link for Sleeve Star Teaser Trailer Number 3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6Xy8jU8V_A
Enjoy.

You can order this here now. http://www.worldmagicstore.com/product_info.php?products_id=6292

Jim
I don't have any sewing skills, does this require that?
Hi Guys,

Just a quick post to let you know that the add copy for Sleeve Star has been updated.

You can see it here: http://www.worldmagicstore.com/product_info.php?products_id=6292

Regards

David
This looks great ,but I only wear short sleeves,Dam.....
Wally, it's as straight forward as possible in the ad copy that sleeving is involved. Why would you even bother posting that you only wear short sleeves when right off the bat you know that sleeving is part of the system. :P
Is this product appropriate for someone with no previous sleeving skills? Is another product recommended, if that's the case?

Regards,
Mike
Here is the full Ad Copy text

For years sleeving has been a Holy Grail for many performers. David Jay is one of the world's greatest sleight of hand experts and has spent the last 20 years taking sleeving to a whole new level. Now Wizard FX Productions are proud to present the release of one of the most anticipated items to hit the magic community in recent years - Sleeve Star.

Sleeve Star is more than a trick. It's an incredible utility device that you can incorporate into your existing routines. Imagine closing your hand around a coin or a borrowed ring and then showing it has vanished and is now in the other hand which has been behind your back since the start of the performance! That is just one effect possible with Sleeve Star.

Sleeve Star includes a DVD with in-depth teaching on the art of sleeving as well as instructions on how to install and operate the Sleeve Star so that you can make the most of its limitless potential. Five of David's favorite routines are also explained.

Coin Teleportation - When Greg Wilson first saw Sleeve Star he helped David routine this effect and it's a KILLER. A signed coin vanishes with one hand and is found moments later in the other hand, which had been held behind the performer’s back from the beginning of the routine. This can also be performed with borrowed rings and other objects.

Anniversary Coins – Following an in the hands transposition, two borrowed signed coins fuse together as one, freezing the moment of magic perfectly.

Coins Across - Imagine being able to perform a coins across with just three signed coins, no gimmicks, no gaffs, no extras. This is the cleanest version of the plot you will EVER see.

Coins To Pocket - Three signed coins travel from your hand into your pocket with no palming.

Signed Coin to Envelope - A signed coin vanishes and appears in a sealed envelope which has been on display from the beginning of the routine.

Please also note that this utility device can be used with jackets or shirts.

No sewing required. No strings, no pulls, no vacuums, no conveyer belts and no hidden female assistants.

Don't just sleeve. Be a SLEEVE STAR!

"I don't perform other people’s material, but this I will do. I'm going to put one of these in every jacket I own!" Gregory Wilson
Wow, that reads very nicely! Seems like even a beginner would find this useful!

Regards,
Mike
Or a 'beginner' with 20 yrs sleeving experience lol
It's good to know this product is NOT for beginners at this stage...it won't be wasted money for those that lack experience in sleeving.

Regards,
Mike
[quote]
On 2010-09-16 20:40, insight wrote:
It's good to know this product is NOT for beginners at this stage...it won't be wasted money for those that lack experience in sleeving.

Regards,
Mike
[/quote]

Am I missing something here? Is it for beginners, or not?
Surely not?!

I have been looking forward to this one, but from what one can see in the demo, it is clear that one must be able to deliver an object to a sleeve, and this is a gimmick that then does something else.

I would suggest starting with a Rocco DVD or Cloutier.

Im excited, might pick mine up at L.A.D.S

JH
This is REALLY good. I've seen David use this for real people and it's a killer.

Gary Jones.
Based on what has been communicated to me, this is NOT for beginners.

Regards,
Mike
Simple sleeving really isn't rocket science. I would consider the classic palm of a card to be considerably harder. Sleeving I would say is more about timing and choreography. Excellent timing and choreography can hide a lot of bad technique. With that, I don't think people should be put off by Sleeve Star just because they will need to learn how to sleeve.
[quote]
On 2010-09-17 08:41, kissdadookie wrote:
Simple sleeving really isn't rocket science. I would consider the classic palm of a card to be considerably harder. Sleeving I would say is more about timing and choreography. Excellent timing and choreography can hide a lot of bad technique. With that, I don't think people should be put off by Sleeve Star just because they will need to learn how to sleeve.
[/quote]

I agree totally with this, sleeving is actually easy to do, the hard part is to make it look like you're not sleeving!!!

I also think it is very deceptive to have one hand behind your back, reminds me of the One Hand in the Pocket type card effect. Imagine also holding a sealed box behind your back, the coin vanishing and appearing inside the sealed box, now that would be really good. I can see so many applications for this.

Gary Jones.
Speaking of coin in box, the fact that Sleeve Star looks like it can deliver the sleeved object to the opposite hand, you can have the loading box sitting on a table and reach for it with the opposite hand. Very very clean load with little to no heat on the box. So many applications!
I'm looking forward to having a little fun with my wizard's sleeve.
Looks like hocus pocus has started to sell this! I thought this was on PRe-order only!
Can anyone actually say what this is? Seems like just the usual bunch of guesses have been made which doesn't help.

At this price I'd like to know some actual facts.
I think we have to wait until the 3rd.
I wonder if any sleeving method is suitable- Jim Pace, Brian Platts catapult, or good old Bobo/ Roberts to name but a few?
I think any method where one gets an object into ones sleeve would be suitable for this however, since this is very obviously a means to deliver the sleeved object, I think it's best to utilize this with a one handed sleeving method so that the performer's two hands do not come near each other (thus the coin transpo in the first demo is such a strong effect).
This looks nice. I have had this on my wish list for a few weeks now. But I don't do pre orders anymore because of all the hype on things. I will wait for a few reviews. Hope everbody who gets this will have a few reviews.
A few months back I had the good fortune to watch a demo of SleeveStar, (this was a pre-manufacture prototype) and if the finished product is as good as the demo, then it's going to be an absolute WINNER. Congrats to David Jay.
Hmmmm... a question for you, does the item that needs to be sleeved need to be of a weight of some sort, I was wondering whether you could sleeve a folded card say in quarters and would the device also deliver it into the other hand?
[quote]
On 2010-09-13 13:35, Jaz2005 wrote:

No sewing required. No strings, no pulls, no vacuums, no conveyer belts and no hidden female assistants.

[/quote]

Crap! I kinda like the idea of a hidden female assistant! :bg:
Hopefully no safety pins either? I hate safety pinning things to my jacket lining, it ruins the lining!
Very impressive video clips.

Where is David the Magician from originally?

He is FAST!
[quote]
On 2010-09-29 20:49, saysold1 wrote:

He is FAST!
[/quote]

Yep, he sure as hell is! I think I'll pass on this until further reviews. If it takes twenty years of sleeving experience it's definitely not for me! With the arthritis I have in my right hand I'm lucky if I can even [i]button[/i] my sleeves much less sleeve anything!
I liked the demo. But for me it does not look as "sophisticated" as some seemingly might expect here. Don't get me wrong guys. I respect the work of others and sleeving is a dust old (but great) technique. It ever was!
But any M-Holdout, TKO or false transfer (like another member already wrote) can reproduce what I saw. For me it looks like a device which could vanish one coin ONE handed. A lot of things come to my mind here which do the same.
Please correct me if I am wrong, I would be happy about.
No offense intended!

All the best,
Martin
You need to watch the demo again. At 1:04 his hand is already behind his back, Craig still has the coin he just signed. At 1:06 he takes the coin from Craig and it is in plain view. He obviously sleeves the coin, but then what? You are saying TKO can do that? Any holdout? LOL! I have never seen a holdout that works when your arms are both bent AND static.
I already preordered so I'm just waiting till next week.
James

[quote]
On 2010-09-30 06:43, ArtIn wrote:
I liked the demo. But for me it does not look as "sophisticated" as some seemingly might expect here. Don't get me wrong guys. I respect the work of others and sleeving is a dust old (but great) technique. It ever was!
But any M-Holdout, TKO or false transfer (like another member already wrote) can reproduce what I saw. For me it looks like a device which could vanish one coin ONE handed. A lot of things come to my mind here which do the same.
Please correct me if I am wrong, I would be happy about.
No offense intended!

All the best,
Martin
[/quote]
If you could really do magic, this is what it would look like.

I guess I'm more shocked that it's only $146.

Chris
[quote]
On 2010-09-30 09:39, Xiqual wrote:
You need to watch the demo again. At 1:04 his hand is already behind his back, Craig still has the coin he just signed. At 1:06 he takes the coin from Craig and it is in plain view. He obviously sleeves the coin, but then what? You are saying TKO can do that? Any holdout? LOL! I have never seen a holdout that works when your arms are both bent AND static.
James
[/quote]

James, like I said no offense intended!
Are you really sure it is craigs coin..???
Please compare the routine with the anniversary coin routine before you critize my perceptivity...
I think you will have to watch the demo again to see where the coin really goes..
The coin was signed by a pen, correct?

again.. no offense intended. just my two cents.
Iam looking forward to your review James.

regards,
Martin
[quote]
On 2010-09-30 11:13, ArtIn wrote:
[quote]
James
[/quote]

Please compare the routine with the anniversary coin routine before you critize my perceptivity...
I think you will have to watch the demo again to see where the coin really goes..

regards,
Martin
[/quote]

James is correct on his observations.

On Coin Teleportaion, it is Craig's Coin. Anniversary Coins has a switch, but the beauty is the 'other coin' being retrieved with the opposite hand, courtesy of this Sleeve Star.
Sorry Review King but I don't think so. If it is just one coin I would like to hear it from David Jay, David Penn or someone who already is in the know.
No speculations please. Think again about the Sharpie... nothing more to add.

Btw. James please consider, I can let you sign a coin on one half. switch it out for another to give you the unsigned dublicate (which can be shortly flashed on both sides but that differs on situation...)
Then I let the false coin vanish with one hand and your coin can appear anywhere?
What is the problem?

Remember, I don't want to unsell that effect.. Nothing wrong with that! and maybe some people have to high expectations?!

Hey and if I am wrong I will buy it.

All the best,
Martin
After reading the comments and watching the demos I am fairly confident that I know, at least in principle, how this works. (Yes, I was able to duplicate the effect). I may be incorrect but I would bet that I am very close to the method. I am not saying this to be smug or to boast, I am saying it because if you are trying to take the short road and stab at the principle you will overlook the brilliance of this effect.

If I am correct, all of the add copy is accurate and not misleading. It would be something that takes practice, but not too much. It does not fit my performing style but if it did I would certainly spring for this as it looks very clean.

So why did I chime in? Because I would like to support the creators of this effect. Like I said,if I were performing this I would buy it simply to support the creator and distributors, even though I can reproduce the effect. I am just that way.

Magic is at one of the lowest points that I have seen it in a long time. Dealers are having a difficult time selling products and venues are not as willing to hire magicians as they once were. With that said, I think that it is more important than ever to support new and more importantly, original looking products like Sleeve Star.

Just my 2 cents and pontification for the day.

TK

P.S. I have absolutely no affiliation with the creator of this product nor was I asked to comment. Most of you probably wished that I didn't!
[quote]
On 2010-09-30 12:41, tommy k wrote:
After reading the comments and watching the demos I am fairly confident that I know, at least in principle, how this works. (Yes, I was able to duplicate the effect). I may be incorrect but I would bet that I am very close to the method. I am not saying this to be smug or to boast, I am saying it because if you are trying to take the short road and stab at the principle you will overlook the brilliance of this effect.

If I am correct, all of the add copy is accurate and not misleading. It would be something that takes practice, but not too much. It does not fit my performing style but if it did I would certainly spring for this as it looks very clean.

So why did I chime in? Because I would like to support the creators of this effect. Like I said,if I were performing this I would buy it simply to support the creator and distributors, even though I can reproduce the effect. I am just that way.

Magic is at one of the lowest points that I have seen it in a long time. Dealers are having a difficult time selling products and venues are not as willing to hire magicians as they once were. With that said, I think that it is more important than ever to support new and more importantly, original looking products like Sleeve Star.

TK

P.S. I have absolutely no affiliation with the creator of this product nor was I asked to comment. Most of you probably wished that I didn't!
[/quote]

I don't think magic is at one of the lowest times, I think its at the lowest TK. Even during the depressiion magicians were at least surviving. The money is out there its just people and corporations are sitting on it. In the USA its all about our fantastic leaders in DC who love to spend. Perhaps they should do the hiring.

This effect looks really nice but the setup is defintely not everyone's cup of tea.

DC
Can someone advise that to use this product does the item have to have some weight to it, I mean could you sleeve a folded card and would the product deliver it into the other hand???
[quote]
On 2010-09-30 12:08, ArtIn wrote:
Sorry Review King but I don't think so. If it is just one coin I would like to hear it from David Jay, David Penn or someone who already is in the know.
No speculations please. Think again about the Sharpie... nothing more to add.

Btw. James please consider, I can let you sign a coin on one half. switch it out for another to give you the unsigned dublicate (which can be shortly flashed on both sides but that differs on situation...)
Then I let the false coin vanish with one hand and your coin can appear anywhere?
What is the problem?

Remember, I don't want to unsell that effect.. Nothing wrong with that! and maybe some people have to high expectations?!

Hey and if I am wrong I will buy it.

All the best,
Martin
[/quote]

Well, this is the fun of the 'Latest and Greatest" section as it's not a review section.
Well, does it make any sound? If it doesn't, then it is a real magic. You can even start a religion with this. Awesome!

I really want to have someone performing this in front of me. Must be very magical.
Review King said:
"On Coin Teleportaion, it is Craig's Coin. Anniversary Coins has a switch, but the beauty is the 'other coin' being retrieved with the opposite hand, courtesy of this Sleeve Star."

This is correct. We didn't hide anything on the no frills trailers because we wanted people to see the device in action.

All the best guys

David Penn
Iam impressed then! Thanks for clarification.
[quote]

TK

[/quote]

Right now the entertainment business in general is in a bit of a "boom."

Even with the economy in a massive funk and huge downturn, escapism (which is really what magic is, at least in my view) is still in high demand by the public - perhaps now more than ever.

I'm a Realtor in AZ so I am in the thick of the mess but I would say that Magicians and other entertainers may have some opportunities as people are desperate for a little magic in their daily lives. Venues may not be booking - but other entertainment outlets are surviving and perhaps thriving while people pare back on what they consider to be superfluous things...

I don't see magic at such a bad place myself, but maybe I am wrong. It seems to me that interest in magic and the creativity of performers is still vibrant - and as someone who has to deal with the day to day sadness of people losing their homes and jobs... I find respite in being able to practice and perform a bit to create some minor miracles that make people forget a bit and smile for the moment.

BRETT
Posted: Sep 30, 2010 4:56pm
Latest trailer before launch
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEuhAvO6cx0
Jim

Posted: Sep 30, 2010 6:51pm
OOOPS wrong link above, here is the latest trailer
Thanks Chris.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_ESerug56g
Jim
[quote]
On 2010-09-30 16:11, saysold1 wrote:
[quote]

TK

[/quote]

Right now the entertainment business in general is in a bit of a "boom."

Even with the economy in a massive funk and huge downturn, escapism (which is really what magic is, at least in my view) is still in high demand by the public - perhaps now more than ever.

I'm a Realtor in AZ so I am in the thick of the mess but I would say that Magicians and other entertainers may have some opportunities as people are desperate for a little magic in their daily lives. Venues may not be booking - but other entertainment outlets are surviving and perhaps thriving while people pare back on what they consider to be superfluous things...

I don't see magic at such a bad place myself, but maybe I am wrong. It seems to me that interest in magic and the creativity of performers is still vibrant - and as someone who has to deal with the day to day sadness of people losing their homes and jobs... I find respite in being able to practice and perform a bit to create some minor miracles that make people forget a bit and smile for the moment.

BRETT
[/quote]

Interests for sure Brett but overall it has been slow all over business wise. Surely it will get better especially for the holiday bookings but are they still paying what they use to? I am not seeing it or hearing it.

But glad to hear it is booming elsewheres! Keeping my toes crossed even with all the price shoppers. Saw one member mention a lady saying he charges more then her doctor does per hour. His response was priceless "well then get your doctor to come over and entertain your group."

Okay back on topic. Review King, not bad on some reviews over in the south.
:cool:
Hi Martin,
No offense taken Friend. We are all just doing our thing,lol.
Good on you for questioning though.
James

[quote]
On 2010-09-30 11:13, ArtIn wrote:
[quote]
James
[/quote]

regards,
Martin
[/quote]
Sorry this post was made by accident (phone).
Well but I hope you guys got my idea. Because it is possible to do so. the unsophisticated way ;) I will have a look at this piece of magic.

What I like about magic the most is to use such things in a hidden manner..
really nice.. come to my mailbox sleeve star!

Posted: Oct 1, 2010 7:02pm
Oh, I explained the "alternative handling" quit detailed I think.
If you can not imagine it. Not my fault, huh?.
With TKO you can do the same routine by using two coins.
What's the problem about it kissdadookie? My intend never was to screw up the product sleeve star. I just asked questions to make up my mind.

Anyways, my order is in and I already said that I like the professionaly CONFIRMED fact (thanks David) that only one coin is in play. BTW, I used the word "impressive".

Review King I don't get paid for my comments. I believe in people who perform and be honest and realistic.
Not people who sell their speculations as ultimate truth.
I am a customer and performer who does'nt buy anything people (you) are screaming for. That's why I ask questions. I don't take any bait offered by salesmen.
In consideration of the product range offered every day it should be ok to be skeptical.

Hey, I don't hype any product of any sort and jump in any thread to hype anything I see. What I have wrote was not made inconsiderately. No big fluffy cloud with pink letters written in it : "everything is fantastic - the best thing I have ever saw before, go for it NOW"

I'll buy it, have a look at it and then I will decide for myself if it's one of the releases of the year. that's how I do it. I am no clairvoyant I am realist.
and yes I am looking forward to it!

good night
ArtIn, how is it NOT clear that only one coin is in play? The ad copy stated it, the demo was completely obvious about it, how you figured that there was a dupe involved is beyond me. Let's review shall we? The spec signed the coin, handed it to the performer, the performer closes his fist around the coin and now it has vanished. The hands never come anywhere near the vicinity of each other throughout. The spec then takes the coin from the opposite hand in which the coin now appears in. All this done completely open with no quick movements. How is it not clear that just one coin was in play? It's fine that you wanted clarification but it just puzzles me how you needed one when it was spelled out for you throughout.

By the way, I'm not trying to take pot shots at you, it's just that I don't understand how you figured a dupe was used. Kind of shocked me a bit since it was so clearly shown to be one signed coin in play. I apologize if I sounded offensive.
Kissadookie, your question is allright, no problem at all.
I had just watched the demo on my little cell phone and simply thought that it would be possible to do so.
Especially the moment when the pen is near the inner sleeve.. déjà vu for me..
It's a old thing but it would'nt be the first old thing sold as a new one.
That lead me to the question that it is maybe accomplished by a second coin.
It's darn easy to switch out a signed coin in someones hand, especially if only one side is signed. I was wrong with that assumption for this effect, my apologies! I never wanted to throw of this release here.
Be honest guys at least it should'nt be wrong to be sceptical and questioning at such a price.

The Magic Café can sometimes be a really warm and friendly place.
But another time only cold marketing wind wafts around your ears with unquestioned releases, drowned in positive speculations. It's not my thing.

All the best to you.
It can also be a place where a few come making false accusations about product and people, while telling those people that they should not SPECULATE in a section where the creator of The Magic Café has said the section is for speculation.
It seems to me that everyone would be better served if they waited until this is released instead of all this banter whether it be negative or positive. I mean really, it’s not even out yet and we have those touting it as the release of the year! Don’t get me wrong as I hope it turns out to be a great device and I wish David Jay all the best with this. With that said it would only seem logical to wait until there are those that have hands on experience with it and then wait for what would then be more educated comments. Yes, I fully well realize that “speculation” is what this particular forum is for, but for people to get their respective shorts in a bind over “speculation” when no one actually has this in their hands yet seems a tad absurd to say the least. As for me, I’ll wait until it’s released and some members here have it and then read more educated hands on reviews about it. It seems the more logical road to take, but then again that’s just me. ;)

Evidently you didn’t understand my post and I’d suggest that you go back and read it more thoroughly.

[quote]
On 2010-10-03 12:37, Review King wrote:

You may not care for this section. But many do. it's here and it's staying.
[/quote]
I never implied that I didn’t care for this particular forum (I wouldn’t be here if I didn’t) nor did I ever imply in any way shape or form that I thought it should be removed!

[quote]
On 2010-10-03 12:37, Review King wrote:

As Steve Brooks says, "This forum is all about HYPE and speculation".
[/quote]
Obviously I’ve read the rules as stated by Steve Brooks or I wouldn’t have posted the following:
[quote]
On 2010-10-03 12:17, gaffed wrote:
Yes, I fully well realize that “speculation” is what this particular forum is for...
[/quote]
As for speculation that is all well and good and I find it quite interesting as I’m sure many others do. But, speculation is simply that……[i]speculation[/i] and everyone is welcome to “speculate” as they wish. However, when ones particular speculation does not coincide with another’s I simply found it rather disturbing, or perhaps at least puzzling that caustic responses should then ensue. I imagine that the crux of my previous post was, if I may quote myself again:
[quote]
On 2010-10-03 12:17, gaffed wrote:
..for people to get their respective shorts in a bind over “speculation” when no one actually has this in their hands yet seems a tad absurd to say the least.
[/quote]
Maybe we can simply call it my speculations on the subject of speculating over others speculations! ;)
Right on Gaffed! The first sensible post in a while.
What I find hilarious is people getting angry and defending a product they have not even received yet. I mean, it mails out on the 4th.

Artin was only saying that it could have been two coins. No accusation.

My order was in a long time ago so I will see in a few days. Review? Only if it's not good, lol
James
[quote]
On 2010-10-03 21:11, Xiqual wrote:
Right on Gaffed! The first sensible post in a while.
What I find hilarious is people getting angry and defending a product they have not even received yet. I mean, it mails out on the 4th.

Artin was only saying that it could have been two coins. No accusation.

My order was in a long time ago so I will see in a few days. Review? Only if it's not good, lol
James
[/quote]

Well at least [b][i]someone[/i][/b] understood what I was trying to convey without getting defensive, and or getting their shorts in a bind defending something that has not even been [i]released[/i] yet! Other than that, I [b][i]sincerely[/i][/b] hope it lives up to all the unfounded and untested hype it has been given so far. That would most obviously be good for you, others, and possibly me! Here's hoping that it is all as good, and even [i]better[/i] than "speculated"! ;)
I got it yesterday. Installed it today and I can already do the coin teleportation..

Ill go on the record as saying. " I am some one who has this and the coin in the video is the exact same singular coin that vanishes from one hand to appear in the other. The video shows no pipe dreams what so ever.... you get what you see and for the price its a frickin steal"

No more speculation...you get what you see
I got mine yesterday do no sewing simple to install took me 20 mins the first time david jay said he can do it in 5 you can put it in a shirt as well.

The great thing about this is that it wont take you long to learn the basic concept like anything in life it will take a bit of time to master but this a utilty device I can see some great magic done with this I give it 10 out 10 and in the words of greg wilson BRILANT.

kind regards

kieron johnson
[quote]
On 2010-10-04 03:25, Alan Rorrison wrote:
I got it yesterday. Installed it today and I can already do the coin teleportation..

Ill go on the record as saying. " I am some one who has this and the coin in the video is the exact same singular coin that vanishes from one hand to appear in the other. The video shows no pipe dreams what so ever.... you get what you see and for the price its a frickin steal"

No more speculation...you get what you see
[/quote]

Sleeve Star is going to be extremely popular and do everything the ad said and the demo showed.

All the clues where there....

1) The HONEST and clear trailer with Craig Petty beside himself over this( even though 'someone' insisted it wasn't Craig's coin and strangely asked us to "Think again about the Sharpie )

2) Greg Wilson giving a glowing endorsement ( he called it brilliant )

It all added up. Fantastic reviews were expected by anyone with some legitimate experience in magic.
1) I just watched the demo on my small cell phone. I've speculated that two coins could be in play because it is simply possible to handle the effect the way I have described. Switch out a signed coin (just signed on one side!) while throwing the signed coin in your inner sleeve when you bring back the sharpie to your pocket. Then you vanish the fake coin and the signed one appears at a place desired. You may have missed it.......

If your imagination is big enough you should know that my described handling is'nt a bad thought.
You don't thought about the sharpie so YOU missed the point.

Now it's getting very clear what you can expect from Sleeve Star and I am looking forward to use it.

2) I don't care about that senseless comment.
No offense intented against Greg Wilson here!
Take a look at recent magic products, take a look around you.
You may know what I am talking about cause you nearly hype everything you have read or heard about.

manus manum lavat - one hand washes the other.

It's not a review that will make a effect practical for You (someone)...
Not every review will tell you if old coffee will be released..

It all added up.. senseless stuff is written by guys who have too much time to brownnose? Your comments bore me.. :spam:

Cheers
Then kindly do us all a favour and go somewhere else.
The weird thing is.. Once you get it to your sleeve its practically self working. I cantg et over how easy this thing is to use
Alrighty, I'm going to order one! What Alan has mentioned is exactly what I had hoped for :)
From what I saw David does this awesome,yes a little practise, there's also some great ideas shared by David at the lads day which is on the DVD. His techniques for sleeving are 1st class & 1 of the coin vanishes people will be able to sleeve !

This sold out at lads !

Best

Mark
Twice.... they sold out of what they had so jon when to the unit for more and it sold otu again...
So….. what does everyone think of that trick called “The Invisible Deck” will be like?

Sorry, but I thought it was time to break the proverbial ice here before someone comes along and shouts out, “OK, [b]EVERYBODY[/b]……… out of the pool”! :lol:

This kind of reminds me of a scene from “Moonstruck”. Everyone is sitting at the kitchen table and they’re all quiet and somewhat grumpy. Suddenly, this old man who never says [i]anything[/i] simply looks up and says; “Somebody tell a joke”!

These types of issues are inherent to a forum site and it more often than not simply revolves around the typewritten word. Believe me I know, as I own and run a forum site for some years. Some little issue arises, and then there is [i]always[/i] that person who insists on having the last word and everything spirals into an abyss. The crazy thing about it is that if the same discussion was taking place around a table over a few drinks when people’s faces could be seen and inflections of the voice being heard, 98% of these idiotic, and usually childish, squabbles would never occur.

[b]OK[/b], now that the “speculation” phase is over and some here own this I have a question. Someone on an earlier post brought up the question if your hand must be behind your back, or can you also use this device while having both hands held apart and in front of you? I’m also assuming that one must first learn how to sleeve a coin. I was going to say that I can’t sleeve a coin, but then again I’ve never tried as I’ve always shied away from giving it a go just as I’ve always shied away from other various sleights such as doing a Classic Pass, etc. Especially now due to some arthritis in my hand. I take it then that David takes the time to teach one how to do a decent sleeve with a coin? Also, if this is used with just a shirt, and or a jacket must it be loose fitting? I’m sure that now that some people have this there will be a multitude of other like questions and now we can finally get to the meat of it!
Blimey, just seen one for sale second-hand already!
I doubt you can have both hands in front of you Gaffed. It delivers the sleeved object to the other hand but I highly doubt that the method of doing so is a mechanical one. This however is a non-issue for the coin teleportation though. If you consider the fact that your other arm is bent 90 degrees AND behind your back, even if the spectator thinks you have some kind of contraption installed on your body, it's a hard sell even for the spectator thinking that because now they have to figure out how it went up one sleeve, across the should, down half of the other sleeve and then how it made a sharp 90 degree HORIZONTAL (thus gravity can play no part) turn to end up in the hand behind your back. Like the Extractor where many, even magicians, thought there was some kind of wacky contraption in play, it's just way too far fetched to be plausible. In other words, the coin teleportation presented as is, is pretty much the perfect coin teleportation effect. It just ticks all the right boxes in for impossibility.

As magicians we tend to want to show everything very openly so the one hand behind the back idea appears to us as being dirty or that you're trying to hide something (which in reality, you are from a technical standpoint). In reality, in the eyes of the spectator, all you're doing is taking the sleight of hand possibility out of the equation because you literally are just using one hand (and you can allow them to hold on to that wrist or that fist to solidify the fact that the object or coin is immune to manipulation when in reality, you are already way ahead of them). Remember, for a lay person, if something disappears from one hand it must then be in the other hand, this is their reasoning. Now, if you have only one hand to work with, and the object disappears, it really does disappear and the audience will not know where the object is. They will not be thinking about the hand behind your back because you've positioned that hand there for the purpose of demonstrating that you will not manipulate the object. This is just super super clean and if coins or rings or other small objects could teleport under test conditions, this would be it.

In closing, the last thing you should be worried about is learning how to sleeve because sleeving really is not that hard. You will literally get the mechanics down in a day of casual practice. The bulk of your sleeving practice is going to be knowing your angles so that the object doesn't flash. Actually sleeving the object and hitting that sleeve opening is not-that-hard. What you should be worried about is what you want to do with the object once it's been sleeved and delivered. Should you load it in a box, load it on to the spectator's shoulder, just show it in your other hand, etc.

[quote]
On 2010-10-04 12:25, roblane wrote:
Blimey, just seen one for sale second-hand already!
[/quote]

Where?!? I am interested :D
Yes, I realize that having ones hand behind their back seems to be an impossible feat considering the angle, but I’m sure there will be those who may wish to have their hands in front of them, or at least knowing if it’s possible to do so. Actually, I really like the idea of one hand behind the back as it then seems all the more impossible and I doubt that it would enter any one’s mind that you were doing so to so as to hide something. As for sleeving, I suppose this old dog could learn new tricks with a bit of patience and practice.

By the way, I thought today was the release date and not the date that people would already have it!
Anyway, I do most of my purchases from Penguin Magic so as to get my discount and it seems as though they will not have it until the 12th. I suppose that’s good for me as then I can wait for further reviews, and as someone said, “Have others do the leg work for me”! :lol:
Thanks for your insight alan!
Gaffed, first rule of management: delegation!

:rotf:

As for things that go on sale right away, that doesn't mean much. You see deadly weapons such as C/S/B go on sale and no one questions the effectiveness of that time honored classic. I myself buy most things out of curiosity. Always the geek!
Has anyone who has this had any issues with the set up. I have been fitting it all day and not had any success. I just can't find the perfect placement. Also I keep watching the DVD back to make sure I am following it correctly but I am finding the duo of Craig and David really annoying. I understand that Craig has to make sure that the DVD is shot well but I just feel its like watching a school teacher who has to keep correcting the student.

Maybe they could have supplied some written instructions along with the DVD with some nice diagrams.

Hopefully its just not me and again any advice would be great as this has real potential.
[quote]
On 2010-10-04 14:44, Review King wrote:
As for things that go on sale right away, that doesn't mean much. You see deadly weapons such as C/S/B go on sale and no one questions the effectiveness of that time honored classic. I myself buy most things out of curiosity. Always the geek!
[/quote]

Crap…. I wish I just had one quarter of the money I spent on magic tricks out of mere curiosity years ago!
This is before computers, the Internet and DVD’s. Look through a catalog with a description of the trick, send a check and then wait an average of two to three weeks to get it. When I got it I more often than not felt like stretching the enclosed plastic bag over my head for being so stupid! Then I’d turn around the next week and do exactly the same thing all over again! I would tend to believe that many of us still purchase out of pure and simple curiosity, but things have changed a tad since the Internet and having the luxury of watching a demo if one was not able to see a demonstration at your local brick and mortar magic store. Then of course we have the luxury of having a large magic forum such as this one where people can discuss and read numerous reviews for just about anything one might possibly be interested in. But, yet there is and always be that nasty, and often times [i]expensive[/i] little bug called “curiosity”! ;)
Bill Malone tells of buying the multiplying spongeballs because the ad said "no sleight of hand needed". He opened it up and...it was ALL sleight of hand. But, it was so good he still does it today. That one happened to be a keeper.

In the 70's I'd mail order over $200 and get a box of junk and like you...do it all over again.

Now we have online demos, reviews and...I still do the same thing. But, don't burned as much like in the old days.
Hers is a post from our facebook page earlier today.
Jim
[quote]
Gary Sumpter wrote:- I've just watched the Sleeve Star DVD and installed it into a jacket. I have to be honest, after buying it I thought maybe I had bought something I wouldn't use. After watching the DVD and installing it, bugger me, I am a happy bunny right now! This thing is very very good. I have to admit I will have to reinstall in in...to a better jacket (mine isn't great for it, but don't let that put you off, it was a very stiff jacket, the only one I had around!). For me the BEST routine I will use it for is the signed coin to hand behind the back, yes that's probably the bottom rung of the ladder in terms of creatively coming up with new ideas, but you know what, tough doo doo, this routine/effect is TOP NOTCH and worth every penny paid. This is the first time I have bought something of a decent amount and NOT come back regretting it. David Jay and the WMS crew, hats off, you just refueled my creative fire, thank you![/quote]
I do not think that any one who actuly installs it and tries it will be disapointed.. I took it out tonight and road tested a few this. After about 1 to 2 hours good use it becomes super easy to use...
[quote]
On 2010-10-04 21:48, Alan Rorrison wrote:
I do not think that any one who actuly installs it and tries it will be disapointed.. I took it out tonight and road tested a few this. After about 1 to 2 hours good use it becomes super easy to use...
[/quote]

That was fast!
Nothing like a good road test to get a good handle and proper perspective on it.
Yeah man but its to hard not to.. When you know you have the ability to do what this does you will want to try it out lol...
Someone on another thread asked if this needs a reset once done but no answer was given. Once you perform it, does it need to be reset, or is it immediately set to go again?
Once you have it set on your jacket you are ready to go... no reset etc.
I put on the jacket I'd use and did some sleeving and I think to have the signed coin end up in the opposite hand, that is behind your back, would be a miracle effect.

Here's why I think so:

Jason Dean has an effect on the J Team DVD set where you place a coin on the back of your forearm and snap your arm done and catch it ( an old stunt many do with multiple coins ). Well, you do it again and...your hand is empty, the coin appears in your opposite hand. The coin isn't signed, but people gasp when you do it.

Coin Teleportation with Sleeve Star could be a great follow up to this with the coin being signed.
[quote]
On 2010-10-05 12:54, Review King wrote:
I put on the jacket I'd use and did some sleeving and I think to have the signed coin end up in the opposite hand, that is behind your back, would be a miracle effect.

Here's why I think so:

Jason Dean has an effect on the J Team DVD set where you place a coin on the back of your forearm and snap your arm done and catch it ( an old stunt many do with multiple coins ). Well, you do it again and...your hand is empty, the coin appears in your opposite hand. The coin isn't signed, but people gasp when you do it.

Coin Teleportation with Sleeve Star could be a great follow up to this with the coin being signed.
[/quote]

Kind of a different approach. The example you've mentioned would play more like a feat of dexterity or a puzzle while the straight forward Coin Teleportation routine can be more easily played as "real" magic.
[quote]
On 2010-10-05 13:18, kissdadookie wrote:
[quote]
On 2010-10-05 12:54, Review King wrote:

Here's why I think so:

[/quote]

Kind of a different approach. The example you've mentioned would play more like a feat of dexterity or a puzzle while the straight forward Coin Teleportation routine can be more easily played as "real" magic.
[/quote]

Good point raised!

Wouldn't the feat of dexterity be catching the coin with the hand of the arm that held the coin ( a stunt )? Having it appear in the other hand, which can be behind your back as well, would be more like real magic. No? It seems to play like that when I do it.

But, combining effects with this may not be the way to go with Coin Teleportaion.
Logically, yes, it's magical if one was to think about it but it was prefaced with a stunt. So basically it will give the feeling of a more impossible stunt that builds on the premise of the previous stunt. Mind you, this has very little bearing on audience response because amazing is still... amazing. The only real difference is the direction in which the spectator's mind goes in for solutions.

In no way am I implying that your idea is wrong or not good, it just feels like a different direction for what is technically the same trick, or to better phrase it, the context of the trick is framed differently in your example. Again, this boils down to what kind of a performer one is and what one is more comfortable with.
[quote]
On 2010-10-05 15:34, kissdadookie wrote:
... Again, this boils down to what kind of a performer one is and what one is more comfortable with.
[/quote]

Oh, I'm terrible, which is why I went this route in thinking.

Thanks for the great posts!!!!
Wow, this thread certainly came to an abrupt halt! The same thing for its thread in; [b]The Good, the Bad, and the Garbage[/b]. Could it possibly be that others are waiting to receive it before there is more discussion on it?
[quote]
On 2010-10-07 16:33, gaffed wrote:
Wow, this thread certainly came to an abrupt halt! The same thing for its thread in; [b]The Good, the Bad, and the Garbage[/b]. Could it possibly be that others are waiting to receive it before there is more discussion on it?
[/quote]

Sort of speculation on your part.

:rotf:
Abrupt halt? I think all that could be said about it without revealing methods at this points has been discussed. We're all just waiting for the shops to receive the shipments!
Well when you look back on it there only seems to be Alan Rorrison who has it so far and posted his thoughts on it. Not speculation! ;)

Anyway, I thought perhaps there may have been some further reviews on it in the; [b]The Good, the Bad, and the Garbage[/b] forum, but like I said I imagine there are quite a few who are still waiting to receive it. So, in essence, there has only been Alan who has posted with hands on experience and I would hardly call that remotely close to "revealing" anything! Then again, reviews on this would then not be in this forum. By the way, Penguin Magic says that they have had them in stock for the past three days!
Kissadookie posted that she has it and likes it very much.
[quote]
On 2010-10-07 17:11, gaffed wrote:

Then again, reviews on this would then not be in this forum.
[/quote]

Then why post about it here? Oh, that's right, you were only speculating.

:sun:
[quote]
On 2010-10-07 17:21, Cyberqat wrote:
Kissadookie posted that she has it and likes it very much.
[/quote]

Where?

[quote]
On 2010-10-07 16:43, kissdadookie wrote:
[b][i]We're[/i][/b] all just waiting for the shops to receive the shipments!
[/quote]
[quote]
On 2010-10-07 17:37, Review King wrote:

Then why post about it here? Oh, that's right, you were only speculating.

[/quote]

Jeez! I'm [i]sorry[/i] I even brought it up! [img]http://www.bonsaichat.net/gallery/data/506/brickwall.gif[/img]
I'll do a full review for you
First off, I'm not a she.

Secondly, I never said I had it (though I have a pretty good idea what this is, but not the the nuances of it's operation).

Lastly, Penguin just got some in this week a day or two ago, I think reviews and feedback from more people will start flowing in shortly, I'm surely excited.

Love the concept and just waiting for more feedback on the all important set up from more people as they receive the product :)
[quote]
On 2010-10-07 17:47, kissdadookie wrote:
[/quote]

Whew! Glad we got [i]that[/i] straightened out! Many times I refer to someone in my posts as; “[i]He[/i] said this, or [i]he[/i] said that.” and I was no longer sure how to refer to you seeing that your user name is obviously not gender specific and you have no picture of yourself. :lol:

[quote]
...I think reviews and feedback from more people will start flowing in shortly, I'm surely excited.

Love the concept and just waiting for [i][b]more[/b][/i] feedback on the all important set up from more people as they receive the product :)
[/quote] That is [i][b]all[/b][/i] I was asking about in my post and you replied with:
[quote]
On 2010-10-07 16:43, kissdadookie wrote:
I think all that could be said about it without revealing methods at this points has been discussed.
[/quote]

Maybe I should go back to bed, wake up and try to start this day all over again! As of right now I feel like I'm living in the Twilight Zone! :rolleyes:
You should Gaffed. Maybe your sarcastic humour would actually become himourous when you awake. Ha ha ha.
[quote]
On 2010-10-07 20:58, kissdadookie wrote:
You should Gaffed. Maybe your sarcastic humour would actually become himourous when you awake. Ha ha ha.
[/quote]

?? Just wherein was my sarcasm? I never meant any, nor did I [b][i]ever[/i][/b] imply such in any way shape or form! I simply stated my confusion as to my post and the ensuing response that I got! If however I did would you kindly please point it out to me? If you can, I would be more than willing to apologize! If by chance you are referring to my response as to what Cyberqat posted, and my response to it, I was simply pointing out that perhaps he (for some reason) mistakenly thought you were a female and was glad that mistake was cleared up. With that said, I was simply trying to make light of the matter! If that is indeed the problem, for heavens sake, lighten up my man and have the common sense to realize when someone is merely [i]joking[/i] about a mistake that Cybergat made! :rolleyes:
Hey guys lets get back to the effect. Did any one received their order already ?. This was suppose to be release on October 4th right ?

Any reviews ?

Thanks
Problem with reading things on a forum: the tone of which things are said is usually misinterpreted :P
[quote]

[/quote]

hehe

I'm sorry. Your name and drawing threw me. Another problem with forum posts.

And I apologize if I misunderstood your earlier post. From the way you were describing it I assumed you had it.
[quote]
On 2010-10-07 22:23, kissdadookie wrote:
Problem with reading things on a forum: the tone of which things are said is usually misinterpreted :P
[/quote]

All too true. Believe me, I know as I own and run a forum site myself and the typewritten word can more often than not lead to much confusion. Well, except for the tongue emoticon! :lol:

[quote]
On 2010-10-07 22:09, Joaquin wrote:
Hey guys lets get back to the effect. Did any one received their order already ?. This was suppose to be release on October 4th right ?

Any reviews ?

Thanks
[/quote]

Yes, the release date was the 4th, but as said Penguin Magic supposedly has had it in stock for about three days (and probably some others). I’m sure that within a few more days or so more reviews will be forthcoming. Also, Alan Rorrison has it and he might possibly place a review on it.

[quote]
On 2010-10-07 22:35, Cyberqat wrote:

hehe

I'm sorry. Your name and drawing threw me. Another problem with forum posts.

And I apologize if I misunderstood your earlier post. From the way you were describing it I assumed you had it.
[/quote]

If by drawing you’re referring to his avatar it would then seem like we have a hell of a lot of females on this site! :lol:

Sorry, maybe its best if I stop trying to joke as it seems to get me into trouble and I’m getting much too old to handle the ensuing misinterpretations! Anyway, such are the mistakes made all too often on any given forum site as you and I pointed out. So……….let’s get all get back to the subject at hand and my apologies for any misunderstandings. Whew! ;)
I have it and I like it. I can't sl***e yet, so lots of practise to come, BUT I have say I feel it will be worth it. The transportation effect alone is an absolute stunner imho. I've bought things before that require learning a new skill and have given up without putting the effort in or found another way of achieving the same end result but I honestly can't see an easier way of performing this effect. The actual operation of the sleeve star is a doddle, so if you can already sleeve you can be performing miracles straight away ( after fitting it) . Hope this helps anyone whose undecided
I hope folks that received Sleeve Star will start posting reviews. Good, great or poor, I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts.

Chris
Sleeve star by Davidjay . To start of it is BRILLANT . It's so great it's unreal . To start of it is like real magic . if real magic exsisted this is what it would be . The video is what it is like . Nocuts . I have mine about 6 days ago and I have been testing this out in my local resturment and people freak out when they see what just happened . One of my favourite routines is signed coins across . It is this because with all coins across out there you have to use something special which there is not wrong with and I still use them but this version is great for on the spot coins across when you don't have no gaffs with you . And the one coin trick version is also great . And like someone else said when it's in your sleeve it is like self - working . It is worth every penny and I would be happy to pay more for it . This is the closest thing to real magic and everyone should own one because it's brilliant . The dvd is also recorded good with good instructions by David himself and Craig Petty . It gives you some routines on there which are fantastic . This is limited to your own imagation . Well done david :) Matthew
Great product, good DVD, may be a tad overpriced IMHO, but I haven't had the chance to test it out on real audiences and get reactions.
Well, it certainly seems to be taking off good and well received with those that have it. If it does indeed work as good as depicted, and it would seem so that it does, I don’t think the price is at all out of line. Some people tend to forget all of the work that goes into certain effects before it’s ever placed into production. As I understand it, and please correct me if I’m wrong, is that David Jay is, or least was making all of these devices himself. Even then, there are some who say the price should have been more.

Perhaps I should take the time to learn how to do a decent sleeve of a coin with my left hand! If I can perhaps learn how to do it decently I’d certainly buy this in a New York minute! Seems like one hell of an arsenal to have on hand, or perhaps I should say, in ones jacket, and or shirt. I was very tempted to place an order for it yesterday morning, but after just spending well over $5,000 for a new roof I’d better lay low for awhile! By the way, how well, and into what depth if at all, does David go into the technique of sleeving on the DVD?
My snapping is actually better with my left hand however, I'm right handed so for all intent and purpose, naturalness prevails for me.
First day I thought: sh*#<.. I found the explanation to be very annoying.
Sorry Craig but why did you corrected David Jay all the time like a little child?
He did'nt even had time to say "good bye" at the end of the DVD.. If I were him I would have run to another company. I understand that it is very important to make it crystal clear for the viewers (thanks for the intention) but that could be also accomplished in a more friendly way or by a arrangement beforehand.

[quote]
On 2010-10-04 16:04, yoyomagic wrote:
Has anyone who has this had any issues with the set up. I have been fitting it all day and not had any success. I just can't find the perfect placement. Also I keep watching the DVD back to make sure I am following it correctly but I am finding the duo of Craig and David really annoying. I understand that Craig has to make sure that the DVD is shot well but I just feel its like watching a school teacher who has to keep correcting the student.

Maybe they could have supplied some written instructions along with the DVD with some nice diagrams.

Hopefully its just not me and again any advice would be great as this has real potential.
[/quote]

exactly what I thought when watching the DVD first time.

the setup:

It was also not that easy for me to install everything correctly right away.
First the jacket must be suitable for sleeving.
It's not just the sleeve that I am referring to here (which of course must be "open enough" to catch a coin) but also some seams inside the sleeve, especially around the armpit area. Another thing is the fabric inside the sleeve.
If anything is to much information/exposure please delete it.
If it is a bit loose you can get in trouble. That's what I found out after 6 trials.
Of course if it is not installed properly it won't make much fun.. because it won't work. I also can't see myself transfer it from one jacket to another.. you are just lucky when it works!

I am also not sure if I would use this with very expansive jackets.
(Due to the fabrics used for most jackets. Holes made by needles can easily pull strings out.)

But I am happily finished with it and I am darn happy what I have in my hands.

Handling:

The first successful coin teleportation was really exciting!
You hold the coin in your hand, close it, the coin vanishes and appear a second later in your other hand. What ever you will do with it there you just miles ahead for any effect.

First, I am a sleeving greenhorn. But I already had very good results in the first hours of practise.
It really really feelt amazing beeing able to let a coin vanish and make it instantly appear in the other hand WITHOUT obvious moves!!

I recommend this special sleeving technique because it is so clean and also help to disguise the method.
More important is to make the sleeving look invisible.
The good old mirror, practice and some magician friends will help.

The techniques are all very well explained!

Routines:

My favorite routines are the simple yet ingenious "coin teleportation" and the "coins across".
You can buy a coin across for 400$ or you just do it with sleeve star and ungimmicked! different! borrowed! and signed coins! very visual. Even if it needs good training to hide the method. What also makes sense for me is to use sleeve star with gimmicked coins to make some miracles appear even more possible.

"coins to pocket" is also really nice.

All in all give it some time (even the preparation!) you won't be dissapointed.
The principle reminded me to another effect out there which was'nt mentioned in the credits of the DVD. I will not mention it here because it tells a lot about Sleeve Star. I could imagine that it also inspired here. Anyways.

It is really fantastic!
I love the simplicity of the coin from hand to hand, it reminds me of an effect by Richard Sanders on his DVDs, his was a card effect. I think we all forget sometimes just how powerful a direct effect can be for joe public. If I wore a suit more often in performances I'd get this :(

Nice work though, love the effect.

MS
Argh, my worse feer, pinning or sewing something on to my jacket lining!
Hi gaffed . On the DVD he teaches your three or four different ways to sleeve . Some of them are easy and than there are more practice ones for you . Also for the teaching on the DVD I think craig is only trying to help and cover everything . Hopes this helps . Matthew
[quote]
On 2010-10-09 09:27, Marc Spelmann wrote:
I love the simplicity of the coin from hand to hand, it reminds me of an effect by Richard Sanders on his DVDs, his was a card effect. I think we all forget sometimes just how powerful a direct effect can be for joe public. If I wore a suit more often in performances I'd get this :(

Nice work though, love the effect.

MS
[/quote]

I thought one could wear long sleeve shirts? Can someone who has this clarify?
[quote]
On 2010-10-09 13:24, lunatik wrote:

I thought one could wear long sleeve shirts? Can someone who has this clarify?
[/quote]

Good question as I thought that just a shirt could be used.
In the advo. it states: [i]"Please also note that this utility device can be used with jackets or [i][b]shirts[/b][/i]."[/i]
It can be used with jackets or shirts...... but the shirt does need to be long sleeved
Yes, if you can sleeve with a shirt and as long it isn't white.
For me personaly it is easier to sleeve with a jacket.
The directness of the effects possible with sleeve star are just breath taking.
I had a talk with a very advanced sleeving pro at my local magicshop today.
Most important is to get the techniques right and invisible.
He gave me a very good tip for practising.
Stand with your back to a wall and push your ellbow against it while you sleeve.
This training will avoid backward moving of your hand while sleeving.
It really helps to sleeve in a very deceptive and innocent way.
I got some insane handling tips. Have fun with it.
I am working on a mentalism routine that should be clean as a whistle with that device.

If you don't like stiching or needles, maybe velcro could help you out.
It would also help to transfer it from jacket to jacket.

Lets sleeve some coins.
TKO or a Topit used together with sleeve star will create IMPOSSIBLE magic.
If someone assumes you are sleeving, roll back your sleeves and amaze them in another way.. Simply love it
OK....just another question here to its flexibility as to clothing. Lets assume for the moment that you're wearing a heavy winter leather jacket (not a light leather sport coat) and also wearing a sweater. Is there a strong possibility that the combination of a heavy jacket and a sweater might possibly impede the "movement" of this device? Also, could this be performed sitting down? Yes, I realize that one would have to lean forward a tad so as to place ones hand behind the back but I can't see that as a problem. I guess what it boils down to, is must the clothing that it is attached to be [b][i]very[/i][/b] loose and light weight sans the obvious need to have some loose and open cuff opening so as to enable one to sleeve? Whew....sure hope I explained that right! ;)
The weight of your clothes really doesn't play a part. The issue you raised in regards to having enough free space however does play a part. It's going into your sleeve and it's obviously going to do a small amount of travel to the destination. This doesn't mean that your clothes have to be super roomy, just enough room for travel or enough room for what you would need for plain ole sleeving in the first place. I think you already know the answer to your own question gaffed.
[quote]
On 2010-10-09 23:05, kissdadookie wrote:
I think you already know the answer to your own question gaffed.
[/quote]

These were simply legitimate questions and concerns that I have, and possibly others may be interested in also. To be quite honest, I haven't the faintest idea how this device works, but from your answer I can only assume that you now have it? If I already [b][i]knew[/i][/b] the answers, then why on earth would I ask???? I mean really, if you have all the answers about this device then why did you post this today? Shouldn't [b][i]you[/i][/b] have already had the answer to that!

[quote]
On 2010-10-09 11:05, kissdadookie wrote:
[/quote]

It would seem to me that is something you obviously didn't know about!!!
Simple, you ask because your phishing. You and I both know that your question was asked in such a way to narrow down to what Sleeve Star could possibly be. Apart from that, I have no idea why you are getting defensive again. I've sufficiently answered your questions regarding both the weight of clothes as well as approximate spacing in your sleeve (if you can properly sleeve with the shirt or jacket, this will work).

As for your comment about the sewing, I was pretty sure that was required but was just hoping that there were alternatives.
If that is your worst fear you REALLY need to get out more.
James

[quote]
On 2010-10-09 11:05, kissdadookie wrote:
[/quote]
James, the only reason I don't like sewing things or pinning things is that my shirts and jackets are all pretty expensive. ($200+ shirts and $500-$900 jackets) I refuse to alter them or stitch/pin things on to them. Simple as that. What I am however considering right now is to buy a few lower priced shirts and a cheaper jacket to use Sleeve Star with.

As for gaffed consistently smart aleck responses: Gaffed, if you had bothered to read my posts on Sleeve Star, it's clearly evident that I pretty much already knew what this is and how it works prior to this having shipped (and I've confirmed that it is indeed what I had thought it was with a few people already). You would notice that the only questions I've ever had concerned the single issue of if the install required safety pins (like many other installed on clothing utilities) or sewing since as I have mentioned already, I do not like having my jacket lining tugged at or messing up my shirts.
Got it. So when I ask a legitimate question(s) I'm phishing, but when others do so its fine. Do you [i][b]honestly[/b][/i] believe what you just accused me of? As for answering my questions, how would you possibly know if you don't even have it!
No matter. Saying it is your worst fear is ridiculous.
What about your family dying? Earthquake,fire,car crash.
Really,
James

[quote]
On 2010-10-10 00:12, kissdadookie wrote:
James, the only reason I don't like sewing things or pinning things is that my shirts and jackets are all pretty expensive. ($200+ shirts and $500-$900 jackets) I refuse to alter them or stitch/pin things on to them. Simple as that. What I am however considering right now is to buy a few lower priced shirts and a cheaper jacket to use Sleeve Star with.

As for gaffed consistently smart aleck responses: Gaffed, if you had bothered to read my posts on Sleeve Star, it's clearly evident that I pretty much already knew what this is and how it works prior to this having shipped (and I've confirmed that it is indeed what I had thought it was with a few people already). You would notice that the only questions I've ever had concerned the single issue of if the install required safety pins (like many other installed on clothing utilities) or sewing since as I have mentioned already, I do not like having my jacket lining tugged at or messing up my shirts.
[/quote]
How could I possibly know? Because I've already played around with a couple of items that does what Sleeve Star is doing except the point of entry is in a different location and not in the sleeve. That's why I recognized just how strong this utility was and that the benefit is being one ahead, way ahead, of the spectator. All my "speculations" after all (and you can go back and check my posts) have been confirmed by people who have received it in the last couple of days.

As for if I honestly believe in what I accused you of, yes, I do. I also honestly believe that the only reason you are still posting in this thread is for s**ts and giggles and nothing more. Bottom line is that you can go back and forth with me or Review King day in day out but it's clear that you have very little intention of picking this product up so I don't understand why you are still posting on this matter apart from stubbornness or maybe you just like to be right and have a chance to say "I told you so" if the product turned out bad, beats me but it's obvious that you never had intentions of being constructive on this thread.

As for me, I'm just waiting for my brick and mortar store to get Sleeve Star in stock.

As for Xiqual, I think there's obviously a language barrier here as you are reading the tone of my post completely wrong. It was more of a "argh, I was hoping it wasn't sewing or pinning." Either there is a language barrier or you're just trying to be a clever but I suggest you stop trying, it's just plain ole insulting. My comment wasn't ridiculous, the fact that you read it so literally is ridiculous and I guess good for a laugh ;)

In the end though, as I've said, I'm waiting for my brick and mortar store to carry this so I can pick it up.
Language barrier? Yeah exactly.
What's insulting is your pretentious attitude and the way you always pretend to know
how all the effects work even before they come out. You are a poser, we all know it, you just need to face it. Let's see some pics of you in your Hugo Boss suits ok?
Please, more like Shi Ling night market. Who you think ya foolin Bra?
James

[quote]
On 2010-10-10 00:20, kissdadookie wrote:

As for Xiqual, I think there's obviously a language barrier here as you are reading the tone of my post completely wrong. It was more of a "argh, I was hoping it wasn't sewing or pinning." Either there is a language barrier or you're just trying to be a clever but I suggest you stop trying, it's just plain ole insulting. My comment wasn't ridiculous, the fact that you read it so literally is ridiculous and I guess good for a laugh ;)

[/quote]
Easy now chaps. Let's get back on topic,
I wanna see pics of kissdadookie in his suits!!
LoL. Who says that I wear suits? Xiqual, I don't go around panning effects which I don't know about. If you even bothered to read my posts, I post only when I have the item or know pretty much exactly how they work and even at that, it's mostly positive comments and only when I see things that are of real value. To be perfectly honest, most things that come out, if you had a decent amount of prior knowledge about how other effects and products work, it's not that bleeding difficult to figure out what something is and how it works. I saw real value in Sleeve Star and thus I posted. As I've mentioned, I've also confirmed with folks who've received it and found that what I thought it was indeed IS what this is. Poser? Pretentious? What, just because I spent money on nice clothes which I don't want to mess up? Don't get upset if others don't like to go to a local Taiwan or China tailor and buy a cheap suit like you most probably do. Also, what brought about these insults from you in the first place? I never made a single darn comment to you recently and you come on here trying to be all sarcastic. Is it my fault that you lack any common sense to judge the tone of posts which others make? No, it just means you need to work on that.

I'm sorry if you're too thick to figure out how things work easily. You can't point a finger at me calling me names when you yourself can't figure things out. Also, when the heck was the last time you've posted any real helpful posts? The bulk of you post is you being ambiguous and saying nothing more than "I like this." What kind of help is that? There's no why's about why you like something and it's rare that you don't like something. I think when it comes down to it, you're posts are of very little value to anyone because they don't contain much information, yet you call me a pretentious poser, tsk tsk. What's up with that BRA (and what the hell is "bra" any way? are you trying to call people "bras" or are you trying to be like a cool person and call people "bro," it seems to me you're trying to say "bro" but constantly misspell it).
[quote]
I also honestly believe that the only reason you are still posting in this thread is for s**ts and giggles and nothing more.
[/quote]
You stated that you had an issue, or possible concerns about the need of having to sew, and or pin this device in a jacket, which in all honesty sounded like a very legitimate question. I was simply asking (directed to those that [b][i]have[/i][/b] it) if there might possibly be an issue, and or need for concern if it is used with a heavy leather jacket in combination with a sweater. I hardly, if at all, wear a sport or suit jacket so this was a very legitimate concern of mine as that is more often than not what I wear during the cold winter moths here. I can’t for the life of me see how one could possibly by [i][[b]any[/b][/i] stretch of the imagination misconstrue such a question as to me trying to, as you put it; [i]“posting in this thread is for s**ts and giggles”[/i] !! If you take the time to look back, the only other questions, and or concerns that I posted on this thread as to Sleeve Star were my concerns as to sleeving, which I might add, people here were more than considerate enough to address.

[quote]
I don't understand why you are still posting on this matter apart from stubbornness or maybe you just like to be right and have a chance to say "I told you so" if the product turned out bad,…..
[/quote]
Again, where on God’s earth did you manage to fathom up such a conjuncture as that!!
Not [i][b]once[/b][/i] did I ever in [i][b]any[/b][/i] way shape or form imply that Sleeve Star was bad, and or was doomed to fail! If I did indeed feel that way then why would I have made the following post just two days ago in answer to someone who thought it was overpriced? If I may quote myself:
[quote]
On 2010-10-08 18:41, gaffed wrote:
Well, it certainly seems to be taking off good and well received with those that have it. If it does indeed work as good as depicted, and it would seem so that it does, I don’t think the price is at all out of line. Some people tend to forget all of the work that goes into certain effects before it’s ever placed into production. As I understand it, and please correct me if I’m wrong, is that David Jay is, or least was making all of these devices himself. Even then, there are some who say the price should have been more.
[/quote]
If you would be so kind as to point out just [i][b]one[/b][/i] post of mine on this thread where I in [i][b]any[/b][/i] way implied that Sleeve Star was not as good as it seems to be? Hmm....I thought not.

[quote]
Bottom line is that you can go back and forth with me or Review King day in day out but it's clear that you have very little intention of picking this product up….
[/quote]
Why are you dragging Review King into this?? Granted, there was a very unfortunate misunderstanding that we had but it has all been sorted out in a most friendly manner and I have no issues, and or any problems with Review King in the slightest way. As for the possibility of my purchasing Sleeve Star I’d certainly like to know how you arrived at the conclusion that I have no intention of doing so. As for my wishing to “go back and forth” with you as you put it, I can assure you that is the [i]last[/i] thing I want and I apologize to the others here for this thread going astray. However, when someone accuses me on a public forum site of “phishing”, and or my trying to post for the sole purpose of “s**ts and giggles” I think it’s quite understandable that I defend myself against such a deplorable, totally uncalled for, and such an unfounded accusation. It would seem that you are seeing things under the bed that don’t exist, and constantly seeing insults and perceiving confrontations towards you that simply are [i][b]not[/b][/i] there! Relax my man……life is much too short.

Other than that:
[quote]
On 2010-10-10 02:31, Alan Rorrison wrote:
Easy now chaps. Let's get back on topic,
[/quote]
Yes, by [i][b]all[/b][/i] means.....[i][b]PLEASE[/b][/i]! ;)
Maybe you combatants could carry on this discussion by PM? We're now a long way from talking about the product, Sleeve-Star, and the rest of us are sort of forced to eavesdrop on your continuing arguments. Fair enough?

Cheers,
Jerry
I concur.
Before someone starts to flick a coin like a machine gun.
Have a look at Sleeveless sleeving by Johan Ståhl or the Art of Sleeving by Alexander De Cova.
Very nice techniques and a great addition for sleeve star!
Thanks ArtIn, you've helped me pinpoint where I learned the snapping technique for sleeving coins from :)

It's on the old Justin Miller DVD, Silver Dreams. Regardless of what one may think about Justin Miller on a personal level, the man does have excellent technique. The technique isn't his though, I think it was Alexander De Cova's and originally taught in the Art of Sleeving DVD. This is much preferred over the wrist flicking variety of sleeving though I don't recommend using the snapping technique with rings (you end up hitting it at a weird angle sometimes and send the ring flying elsewhere). Small candies and coins are perfect with the snapping technique though and it looks much much better.
All thr sleeving tech you need to use sleeve star is on the sleeve star dvd. It is very thorough
Yes indeed Alan, the techniques are sufficiently there and well explained.
Yetthey are hard to compare with Sleevless Sleeving or the Art of Sleeving.
that's a whole DVD each, just explaining techniques and misdirection.
The wall practicing tip is just gold. Or the tip to move your hand forward while sleeving. Sleeve star handled three techniques in 10 minutes?
It's ok by all respect.
But the ones I am referring to here are unique and worth a try.

The Art of Sleeving gives you the ability to leave your forefinger motionless and teaches good misdirection. De Covas technique also has the power you need for a nice straight shot.

Stahl is just amazing, he simply sleeves "without" sleeves. :)
A friend performed this for me two days ago. It looks fantastic and very magical.
Hey it's also very exciting to see Rick Merrill performing his act.

Just additional thoughts.

kissdadookie I will have a look at silver dreams, thx for mentioning this source.

best regards
Ooh by all means look into other sleeving tech. Im just letting folks know that you get all you need to use sleeve star with sleeve star. Of course there is no harm in looking into it more to try and better ur effects
Very often Penguin Magic sends out an email about the latest effect, and at times they just throw in something that may not be all that new as do most online magic dealers. I looked up “Sleeveless Sleeving” by Johan Stahl on Google and came across a demo of it and immediately recognized it as something that Penguin promoted sometime ago. Simply amazing to say the least! The same goes for “Vanishing Techniques” by Alexander DeCova as there was also a short demo of it on YouTube.

I used to frequent Magic Inc. in Chicago every chance I got and at that time period in my life it was almost like a second home. Magicians were always demonstrating one thing or another and I remember one in particular although I don’t know his name. This had to be sometime around 1984 or 85 as I recall. Anyway, he was demonstrating his sleeving abilities and it was simply fantastic! Even though you [i]knew[/i] that he was sleeving it was still impossible to catch it. I think I’ll most definitely pick up “Vanishing Techniques” by Alexander DeCova and possibly “Sleeveless Sleeving” by Johan Stahl. Hey, if you can learn how to sleeve something with your sleeves rolled up you can certainly sleeve something when they are down! Maybe this ‘ol dog can learn something that he has never bothered with before.
I have just installed and started using the Sleeve Star. I think this is one of the best utilities. I have just come up with the perfect ending to coinvexed.. I have always wondered what could be done with the other coin. Bend it? Well they've seen that, how about teleport it from one hand to the other... Job done... Well done David Jay and the World Magic boys!
But could it not possibly reduce the clean and straight strongness of coinvexed?
I mean the effect itself is so strong. They choose which coin and bang.
Spectators usually are so stunned when they notice what have happened to them.
I just imagine it could be a anticlimax to vanish the second coin afterwards?!?
I have to admit that for me personaly coinvexed is more kind of mentalism.
But everybody likes to eat different food, right? why not..
Have fun with it. Just my two cents.

I thought about the following presentation.
Maybe you can sell it as a hypnotic effect / a precipitated "shut down process of human awareness".
Imagine this: You have a friend(stooge) which is filming you secretly with his mobile phone. (at the beginning of the routine). He film you while you just (secretly for your spectators but obvious for the camera) put the coin from one hand into the other. Now that's the only scene which is needed for the effect.
Then you tell your spectators that you will shut down there awareness for a few seconds. You ask them to focus on your forefinger and tell them your favorite suggestion. You then ask your stooge if he has a mobile phone.
He should record the next seconds of your motions for you. You can even demonstrate to him how to hold the camera etc ;) Then you just perform the teleportation effect.
You can ask them if anything has happened yet. You open your hand behind your back and booom... At this moment you remind them of your suggestion. A few seconds of there memory must be missing. (With some imagination you can even use a watch to demonstrate it...) You can also tell them (if you perform it for more than 2 people) "if any of you saw what really has happened, please keep it for yourself for now. For those who have missed it - have a look at the mobile phone."

just a quick thought...

best regards,
Martin
Probably a stupid question, but your other hand doesn't have to be behind your back, right? I got to looking at my regular long sleeve shirts and the openings don't seem to be big enough to sleeve as compared to wearing a sports jacket. maybe I need to buy ones with big sleeve holes? if that makes sense lol
You should ask kissdadookie. He's pretty much the expert on this device.
James

[quote]
On 2010-10-16 19:19, lunatik wrote:
Probably a stupid question, but your other hand doesn't have to be behind your back, right? I got to looking at my regular long sleeve shirts and the openings don't seem to be big enough to sleeve as compared to wearing a sports jacket. maybe I need to buy ones with big sleeve holes? if that makes sense lol
[/quote]
It makes sense.
The smaller the hole the better your technique have to be.
ArtIn you are right.... Coinvexed and Sleeve Star are two very powerful effects and should be treated as such. I am re-thinking my routining and will come up with something, but thanks for your little routine, there is certainly food for thought.
I am very interested in buying this but I still have the same question than lunatik. Can you also perform this effect with your other hand infront of you or it has to be always in the back?

This is an expensive trick for me to buy, so I really want to make sure it does what I want before I spend my savings .

I hope someone can help me without giving to much away.

Thanks a lot
You can modify the routine to have the other hand out front too.
Is there anyone using "Sleeve Star" that is having difficulty getting the coin/object to travel into the gimmick?
Afuoco,

I find that it works better with the entry-point area being of the not very fashion-fit variety (it needs some clearance if that makes sense).
It does make sense. I'm using a tank top underneath and still having trouble. I'll keep practicing.It maybe just me.
I have the DVD and device; here's a few answers to some questions on this thread -

Q. Do you have to have one hand behind your back for the coin teleportation?
A. No, but...! The 'receiving' hand cannot be 'out front' the whole time, at least if you follow the directions on the DVD. David Jay suggests that his presentation makes the effect more powerful and, from reactions I've had, I agree. Having only one hand to watch makes it simpler for the audience, and then slowly turning around and opening the other hand makes for an awesome reveal.

Q. Does David teach sleeving on the DVD?
A. Yes - briefly, but well. The video is an hour and 20 minutes, ish. Ten minutes or so covers sleeving techniques. David demonstrates three techniques, each useful in different circumstances. For me the real value was in seeing the techniques done so well - I would've liked at least half an hour on technique, since David's technique is so clean and polished. Some elaboration on his thoughts on timing and misdirection would have been good too. Still, the DVD covers some technique. Be warned; practice is needed, and there are subtleties beyond what's on the DVD.

Q. What else is on the DVD?
A. (Roughly) 40 minutes explaining and installing the gimmick. 10 minutes on sleeving. 30 minutes on routines. Like I said, I'd have preferred at least half an hour of David talking about technique, since he's incredibly good, and that would've boosted the value of this tremendously.

Q. Will it work with a playing card folded into four?
A. Probably not. You could put a clip on the card to make it more weighty and compact, and then it might work. I tried a few times and it wasn't working for me. Maybe with lots of practice you could do it.

Q. Will it work with a ball/ring/wand/anvil/helicopter?
A. The object needs to be sleevable. If it's sleevable, then it'll probably work. Coins, balls and rings - yes, depending on size. Jumbo coins no. Small balls yes. Tennis balls no. Wands probably not; maybe a small one. Anvils no. Helicopters no.

Q. Does the gimmick have to be reset?
A. No. Once installed, you can use it as many times as you like, in front of the audience. No reset.

Q. Can you describe the gimmick?
A. No. Buy one.

Q. Is Craig annoying?
A. Yes :)
He's also necessary - he stresses the points that you need to know about; it's clear that David's been doing this so long that he takes some stuff for granted, so it's important for Craig to be there to slow things down a little, and stress the things that you might otherwise miss.
There's a beautiful moment in the explanation of one of the routines when I realized that David had already sleeved and retrieved a coin maybe three times in a row, and I hadn't seen a thing. He could've just been holding the coin in his hand the whole time. Kind of like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgtgOs_OkTU
That's why Craig is needed. And he does a good job, I just wish he'd been a little more respectful of David's skill, and given David the space to do his thing...

Q. Is David Jay awesome?
A. More awesome than an Ewok punk band.

Q. Anything else? Should I buy it?
A. It allows some uniquely powerful effects; signed coins across, signed coin to envelope and so on - in an extremely clean fashion.
It's great for personalized objects like signed coins and rings.
There is a 'coins across' refinement that allows the last coin to travel 'invisibly to the spectator's hand', which is excellent.
The gimmick has several uses; for instance you can use it in a 'storage mode' to store an object for later retrieval.

All in all, worth the money.

Now, a David Jay book or DVD on sleeving - that would be an essential purchase.
[quote]
On 2010-11-02 11:17, volto wrote:
[/quote]

As someone who has been sleeving for longer than I care to remember, I have to say his technique is a bit ham-fisted. (In my opinion. Don't argue with me on this. It's just what I think.)

Secondly, after knowing how the gimmick works and watching [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSBuiLeEL30]one of the demo's again[/url], I think there were shenanigans at play. There are tell-tale signs of sleeving and around 1:03 he appears to be "catching" something in his right hand before the coin is vanished in the left. This leads me to believe they FAKED this demo by using dupe coins. Take a look. Tell me what you think.

I'm liking Craig Petty less and less the more I see of him.
[quote]
On 2010-11-07 19:40, Stucky wrote:
[quote]
On 2010-11-02 11:17, volto wrote:
[/quote]

As someone who has been sleeving for longer than I care to remember, I have to say his technique is a bit ham-fisted. (In my opinion. Don't argue with me on this. It's just what I think.)

Secondly, after knowing how the gimmick works and watching [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSBuiLeEL30]one of the demo's again[/url], I think there were shenanigans at play. There are tell-tale signs of sleeving and around 1:03 he appears to be "catching" something in his right hand before the coin is vanished in the left. This leads me to believe they FAKED this demo by using dupe coins. Take a look. Tell me what you think.

I'm liking Craig Petty less and less the more I see of him.
[/quote]

Hi Stucky,
Craig Petty is really starting to get to me as well. He parked in my parking space today at the shop and I discovered that he had finished off the last of the milk before heading out to the gym. No Crunchy Nut Cornflakes for me today.

Thanks for your other comments. I am not qualified enough on the art of sleeving like yourself to really give an opinion on David’s technique. All I can say is that when you see it in the real world it looks amazing.

David was a real highlight at the LADs convention for me and he also addressed the accusations of duplicate coins. I can assure you that this was not the case and if you see David live he will reassure you also.

All the very best
David
I have seen the instructional DVD and the "performance" Vs. the teaching method is WAY different. Putting aside exaggerated movements for teaching purposes, I broke it down a number of times to be sure as I am VERY against faked demos for magic products and will call out anyone I see using unnecessary trickery to dupe the patrons of their effects.

However, I am all for a fair behind closed doors discussion about it.
[quote]
On 2010-11-08 08:32, Stucky wrote:
I have seen the instructional DVD and the "performance" Vs. the teaching method is WAY different. Putting aside exaggerated movements for teaching purposes, I broke it down a number of times to be sure as I am VERY against faked demos for magic products and will call out anyone I see using unnecessary trickery to dupe the patrons of their effects.

However, I am all for a fair behind closed doors discussion about it.
[/quote]

Just PMed You

All the best

David
Stucky

Do you own this trick or you are just critizing it to see what you can fish?

A double coin mmmmhhh ? I thought you knew how it is done. Please do not base your judgment on a demo buy it and then make an honest review.
[quote]
On 2010-11-11 15:48, Joaquin wrote:
Stucky

Do you own this trick or you are just critizing it to see what you can fish?

A double coin mmmmhhh ? I thought you knew how it is done. Please do not base your judgment on a demo buy it and then make an honest review.
[/quote]

The video(DEMO) IS up there to represent what the product offers.

The video(DEMO) IS also up there to make a valued judgement on whether to purchase the product based on the viewing.

Hence, I do not understand your sentence "Please do not base your judgment on a demo buy it and then make an honest review."
Perhaps these daft comments can be removed? I hardly think anyone is going to 'fake' a demo & charge £95 for a duplicate coin routine.
My friend has it. I have seen the DVD and the gimmick. Therefore I can say without doubt, that they have faked one of the demos. Want details, message me. See for yourself.

These "daft" comments are here trying to PROTECT people who want to spend lots of money on something that is being falsified.
So you're saying that it doesn't deliver a coin from one hand to the other? This is what I believed the gimmick did.
I have the gimmick and it does deliver a coin from one hand to the other. However, after having re-watched the demo video linked in Stucky's post above, I also believe that the method in which the coin is transported is not the same as how we are instructed to do in the DVD.

Two important things (emphasized multiple times in the dvd) that must be done in order to achieve the teleportation are clearly not done in the demo video. Only those who have sleeve star will detect this. Also the very same performance as the demo is seen in the dvd but without the few discrepancies.

I don't mean to be disrespectful to David, Craig or anyone involved in sleeve star but I just wanted to point out that Stucky may have a reasonable and valid point.
Then I shall apologise to Stucky for saying his comments were daft.

I was looking forward to getting this but now I'm wavering on buying it. It was the super looking teleportation of a signed coin that ignited my interest to begin with but if there are extra steps that make it not so wonderful then I'm going to hold fire until someone can clear this matter up.
I don't have this, but genuinely welcome any comments that seek the truth regarding trailers & adverts in a positive way...

However, I saw this (coin teleport) performed from about 2 feet away at the recent LADS convention and... OMG for me, seeing it live (a few times) was even more amazing than the demo. Having my own coin, signed by myself, 'teleported' - good grief, David is the real deal.

Sorry that I cannot clear up the DVD / demo issue, but just wanted to say that this is one of the most amazing tricks that I have seen.

Charlie
There is my problem. If it can be done live (albeit with some modifications different from what we have seen) why not do it that way on the demo?

When one thing is suspect, EVERYTHING becomes so.
[quote]
On 2010-11-16 16:10, puggo wrote:
...seeing it live (a few times) was even more amazing than the demo. ... ...

Charlie
[/quote]

And THAT'S just how magic should be!
Anyone who has seen David perform live will know that what the Sleeve Star says it can do - it can do. I know that David has talked to you about this over pm Stucky and I thought it was sorted. I have tried to keep out of this because you seem to have an issue with me.

Anyway, we don't want people to feel that they don't know what they are getting with Sleeve Star so in the next few days we will be uploading David Jay's full sleeving lecture from the LADS convention. In this lecture David talks about sleeving and specifically the Sleeve Star demonstrating the effect over and over again with different objects. Hopefully this will clear up anyone's questions and doubts about the project. The lecture will go live on http://www.wizardfx.tv in the next few days so if you are not yet a member sign up for free and you will be able to watch the whole thing.

Any other questions let me know!

Craig
I'm not saying it CAN'T do what it's supposed to. I am saying you guys faked the demo to hide how obvious the method is for that one routine to get money out of people. I know it can DO it, you just didn't SHOW it.

I have also noticed how no one has denied it either. Just a lot of double talk to skirt the issue. Own up to it guys! I think you will gain a lot more respect from people, myself included.
We faked the demo to hide how obvious the method is?

We've been up front about the method from the beginning. Everyone knows it's a utility device that will allow a sleeved coin to be transported into the other hand. Why would we fake a demo to hide a method we have been so open about? Heck, we even called the product Sleeve Star.

Anyway, if you don't mind who are you stucky? If I'm going to have a debate on a public forum about this I at least want to know who I'm talking to.

Craig
In order to accomplish sleeve star, we are required to do 2 sets of things (which are repeatedly emphasized in the instructions). None of those appear to be done in the demo. Yet the performance on the DVD differs completely than the one in the demo. Why is that? why are the 2 sets of things not shown in the Demo?
Therefore, David has to be using some other method in the demo since if you claim that the performance in the demo is the same as instructed in the dvd, then you have bent the laws of physics.
I have Sleeve Star.

I agree with Stucky. From my perspective the demo that Stucky refers to is different to what is on the expanatory video.
Once again from my perspective, two coins are used in the demo. It can't be done this cleanly with one coin, even though Craig says David is one of the best sleevers in the world.
I believe this was done to cover up one movement which points to the method.
Please enlighten me if I am wrong here.

Also it worked with only one out of three coats that I tried. It didn't work with my suit coats. This is due to the design of the coat.
It works with shirts however.

Chappelly
[quote]
On 2010-11-18 06:11, Craig Petty wrote:
Why would we fake a demo to hide a method we have been so open about?
[/quote]

I been wondering the same thing this whole time mate. Look Craig, everyone who owns this or knows how it works has seen through this ruse. I am not trying to be petty or vengeful, just helping keep an eye out for the little guy. Being vague at this point is just silly. Just say, "Yes we used dupe coins. I'm sorry." (You can even leave out the sorry part if yer actually not.)

However, if you truly did NOT fake it, then say so as well. I will then leave all this alone and give you benefit of doubt. (However, you will have to answer to those whose eyes I have opened. Welcome to the Matrix.)
Hmmmmm...me thinks Craig and Dave have some 'splaining to do.
[quote]
We faked the demo to hide how obvious the method is?

We've been up front about the method from the beginning. Everyone knows it's a utility device that will allow a sleeved coin to be transported into the other hand. Why would we fake a demo to hide a method we have been so open about? Heck, we even called the product Sleeve Star.

Anyway, if you don't mind who are you stucky? If I'm going to have a debate on a public forum about this I at least want to know who I'm talking to.

Craig
[/quote]

2 essential and necessary movements to successfully deliver the coin from one hand to the other are not done in the DEMO video. This means that the actual performance will be different than the demo. Is there an explanation for that?
This can't be taken lightly.
The main demo that Penguin uses to advertise Sleeve Star has Craig and David on it with the same routine as the demo that Stucky refers to.
In both cases I believe that Sleeve Star has not been used in the Trick.
Instead I believe two coins have been used.
There is less body movement with the two coins and hence it looks magical.
And only Craig can verify the legitimacy of the signed coin/coins, given that he was on the spot.
He would have us believe that the coin that goes in the left hand is the same one that appears in the right hand.
Sad to say but I based my purchase on this demo.
I own sleevestar and was a big critic at the beginning!
I even said first that two coins could have been in play..
and it was not taken seriously at all...

[quote]
On 2010-11-18 06:27, F.ambro wrote:
In order to accomplish sleeve star, we are required to do 2 sets of things (which are repeatedly emphasized in the instructions). None of those appear to be done in the demo. Yet the performance on the DVD differs completely than the one in the demo. Why is that? why are the 2 sets of things not shown in the Demo?
Therefore, David has to be using some other method in the demo since if you claim that the performance in the demo is the same as instructed in the dvd, then you have bent the laws of physics.
[/quote]

Which demo are you guys refering to?
the coin teleportation?
Can someone please PM me to point out the discrepancy mentioned here.

From my own expirience:

With a straight arm and the right technique the coin needs just a second to appear in the other hand!
It takes some time, fast technique and the right setting BUT it works.

The effect really is recognized by spectators as shown in the demo!
Not only recognized but seen.
For me at this point, a real discrepancy is not exsisting here as it also remain on timing.

The only disadvantage for me here is the high price and missing flexibility!
You will not want to put the same sleeve star from one jacket into another after you have finished the set up.. believe me...

What looks a little bit suspicious in the demo is the fact that Jays arm is not straight at all. Both arms remain very static and the timing of moves seem wrong to me. But I can't see a problem here. It works like described!

The coin is signed, the other hand moves behind your back, the coin is vanished (both arms are static) you turn around and boom.. Impossible and very practical..

If you really want to kill with this gimmick -> make up your own mystery and try to use it completly invisible. Imagine you are more than one ahead with this method. Why teleporting the coin in your other hand when it can appear just everywhere under impossible conditions?!?

all the best,
Martin

PS: I don't want to hype this product at all just say that it works.
If you have followed this thread from the beginning you may have noticed how much I dislike hyping and empty phrases.
To Stucky and everyone else that has commented I would like to say thank you for your comments. I have passed them on to David Jay and he has taken them as a massive compliment.

I don't have the time to continue to go back and forth about this I let me just say one thing.

THE DEMO WAS NOT FAKED. No editing, no cuts, no dupe coins just a no thrills demo.

David has performed this live for over a thousand people and a lot of the time this results in a sale. The footage from LADS will be uploaded soon and David will be happy to show anyone the effect In person exactly as it appears in the trailer.

Hope this helps

Craig
Alright, before I stop talking about this on the thread like I said I would I want to clarify something.

I have never said it doesn't do what it's advertised to do. I have also NEVER said it won't do the coin teleport live.

What I am on about is the fact the demo was using duplicate coins to accomplish the same effect that would be done live. The reason is to hide the suspicious movements that would otherwise not be noticed in a live situation.

I have no doubt it works live in person under proper misdirection. However, to show a "too perfect" scenario on a demo to sell the effect and that is NOT what you are taught is un-ethical. (to be fair, the Anniversary Coins demo appears to be on the up and up)

Mull it over in your brains a bit and make up your own minds with the given evidence. You have been warned.
If David is capable to showing the effect in person exactly the same as in the DEMO, then why does he not do that in the instructions DVD? The performances and the explanation on the DVD differ from the DEMO.
I do not own this myself but everything that the Wizard Product review has said it was good, It was GOOD. It was great. I only buy the new things if thay give it a good review. Sometimes the videos you see my be a little diff because us not the laymen are looking more closely to try and figure it out. I myself have found out how somethings were done by badly made video's.. CP and DP are the man. I will be getting this just because thay love it.
Nowyoucme: Sleeve-Star hasn't been reviewed on the The Wizard Product Review. Wizard FX - the makers of The Wizard Product Review - are also the company behind Sleeve-Star. For obvious reasons, they don't review their own products.
Craig, I am looking forward for the Lecture Video. Please keeps us posted.

Sleeving is an art and it also requires several body movements for delivery and missdirection. You can accomplish the same transpo effect by combining some sleight of hand with some sleeving. But if this prop can help you deliver the same object where you want it and and at the same time reduce the number of movements, swith traigh or bent arm, then it is worth the investment.
[quote]
On 2010-11-19 22:47, Joaquin wrote:
Craig, I am looking forward for the Lecture Video. Please keeps us posted.

Sleeving is an art and it also requires several body movements for delivery and missdirection. You can accomplish the same transpo effect by combining some sleight of hand with some sleeving. But if this prop can help you deliver the same object where you want it and and at the same time reduce the number of movements, swith traigh or bent arm, then it is worth the investment.
[/quote]

Sleeving only really requires the minor movement of two parts of the body, finger and wrist. (when done right) Sleeving the object with SS is the same, retrieving it creates extra movement with your other arm.
I also can’t wait for the video. I’ve been eyeing Sleeve-Star since it came out. My only hesitation has been whether or not it would work in my suit jacket. From what I’ve read, it works in some but not in others. Would anyone (anyone that knows) be willing to send me a PM and explain what jackets have not been working?
Thank you in advance.
It really just depends on the cut of the jacket and how much room it has in certain areas...this works better in a jacket that has a bit more room to work. If it's too tight you may have more trouble using it.
So aside from 150$, if you don't have a proper jacket you have to spend even more money to make this work? Yah that's worth it.
Sturky.

It sounds that you really want this trick. If you did not you would not be posting so much in this area.
Yer right. I want this trick so badly... to not rip people off.
[quote]
On 2010-11-18 08:57, Stucky wrote:
[quote]
Why would we fake a demo to hide a method we have been so open about?
[/quote]

I been wondering the same thing this whole time mate. Look Craig, everyone who owns this or knows how it works has seen through this ruse. I am not trying to be petty or vengeful, just helping keep an eye out for the little guy. Being vague at this point is just silly. Just say, "Yes we used dupe coins. I'm sorry." (You can even leave out the sorry part if yer actually not.)

However, if you truly did NOT fake it, then say so as well. I will then leave all this alone and give you benefit of doubt. (However, you will have to answer to those whose eyes I have opened. Welcome to the Matrix.)
[/quote]

Apparently you won't leave the issue alone, however I never expected you would. Stucky you seem intent on 'killing this thread' but as you are the official thread killer I should not be surprised.

I will say it again, we did not fake the trailer and you constant accusations are becoming funny. I'll be honest myself and David Jay had a good laugh about you the other night so thanks for that, much appreciated

I asked you once but you didn't answer so I'll ask once more can I have your real name. You say you have years of experience as a sleever then tell me who you are, maybe I've heard of you. I cannot take your rants seriously any more until I know who you are. Is that too much to ask?

Craig
Craig,
Maybe you can explain to the rest of us why the demo is different than the actual performance?
I said I would leave the demo issue alone and I have.

Glad I can bring you enjoyment with my inane prattle.

Feel free to not take anything I say seriously for whatever reason or another. However, maybe you should address the concerns of others who have/will buy this effect.
Craig, the issue is not whether the DEMO was edited. The issue is that the demo is different than the actual performance. I just bought this and am very disappointed. I trusted you Craig, but I should have listened to Stucky. Stucky's issue is right on, and it has nothing to do with whether he demo was edited. The demo WAS NOT edited. But why was the demo different than actual performance??? This is misleading at best, and I won't even say what it is at worst...
Like already said I love sleeve star.
But the demo Is different.
Static, bended arms! the moment of retrieving the coin is not visible.
I also can imagine it was done to hide the method.
Maybe the LADS material will clarify things..
What demo r you guys talking about. ive only ever seen the one on the dvd I think
Answer the question at hand Craig :)
I was thinking about picking this one up...can you guys waht you mean about the actually performance being differnt, thanks-chris
Chris - the performance in one of the demo videos is taught differently on the DVD, so people are wondering why the handling in the demo video isn't the same as it is on the DVD itself.

It's still a visually stunning trick when performed well, and there are quite a few things you can do with it. To be honest, at £95 (here in the UK) it's overpriced in my opinion, but it's a strong idea, and if Gregory Wilson can get that excited about it, that certainly says a lot!
http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=2146
This is the demo in question.
Apparently no dupe coins were used in this demo.
This is inconsistant with my observations of this demo.
1, The demo is performed differently here than what is explained on the dvd that accompanies the gimmick.
2.David keeps his right arm bent in front of him while he is talking to Craig .When David puts his right hand behind his back, he goes from a bent position in front to a straight position by his side to a bent position behind his back.The movement is stilted not continuous.
This is an unnatural movement. When someone puts their hand behind their back from a bent position in front,they keep their elbow in a bent or slightly bent position throughout the movement. Ask anyone to try it and see.
3.After David sleeves the coin in his left sleeve,he doesn't move his arm into the position that accomodates the sleeve star's action. People who own this will know what I mean.
4 After showing the coin in his right hand,it seems that he then switches it with the one sleeved in his left sleeve to give it back to Craig.
There is another inconsistency that I can't mention, as it may be revealing something.
To me all of this indicates that two coins are used.
If my observations are incorrect please tell me.
"3.After David sleeves the coin in his left sleeve,he doesn't move his arm into the position that accomodates the sleeve star's action. People who own this will know what I mean."

If you have a straight or slightly bended arm no further movement is necessary.
(if the force is with you of course :) )
I think even your jacket will have influence on this!

For me it takes just a split second and the coin is in my other hand.

The stiff and static arm behind Davids back is the only thing that I am wondering about. But lets wait for the LADS Demo.

@fergie33

I think nobody has to worry about this little discussion here, even it's interesting and the situation confusing. Sleeve star does what it does brilliantly!
[quote]
On 2010-11-22 04:58, ArtIn wrote:

If you have a straight or slightly bended arm no further movement is necessary.
(if the force is with you of course :) )
I think even your jacket will have influence on this!

[/quote]

You make a good point, however, if that were true, then the second movement wouldn't have been necessary and would be illogical to do. In the demo video, he "does" the second movement.
What do you mean?
I think he just raised his arm slighly cause its part of his routine.
The problem is his other hand... If there is a problem at all
So what happened with the Lecture Video?
[quote]
On 2010-11-24 20:22, Joaquin wrote:
So what happened with the Lecture Video?
[/quote]

David and I have had gigs on all week but hopefully we will sort it this weekend.

Craig
What happened to the demo video?

regards
We have been having some problems editing and rendering the footage. Coupled with myself and Dave being super busy actually performing and it's taking longer than we thought. As soon as it's on line I will le you guys know.

Craig
I will have this in a week or so. I will try and post if its worth all the hype.
Heard some good and bad reviews. Would love to hear it from the actual owner. Anyone?
Thanks for the info craig.

@AaronishMagic

It's practical and the video shows how spectators preceive the effect.

I think everything is said in this thread..
I will definitley keep it as it offers some killer applications!
I don't refer to the obvious ones here! Think about "OneAhead"
The price is too high in my opinion..
But the effect, methods and technique is brilliant (proofed and reliable!)

If you compare it to a expansive 3Fly Coin Set..
well I would go for 3 ungimmicked signed coins and sleeve star again!

regards,
Martin
I agree 100% with Martin. It's definitely overpriced, but also a very strong effect and has some very interesting possibilities.
I've seen it work and seen the item itself, and I wouldn't pay what they're asking for it honestly. The only reason I haven't purchased it is because of the price (a decision I'd made prior to seeing it in person.)
If you feel it's worth the money though, pick it up. It's a very cool item.
Overpriced? This is a strange subject in magic, you can pay a fortune for a mentalism effect which would cost you pennies to make up, on the other hand you could pay pennies for a very well made effect which would cost you a fortune to make up!!

Sleeve-Star is sort of in the middle of the two, expensive if you don't use it (or don't intend to use it) but probably one of the best bargains in magic if you do use it. I've seen David use this and I've seen the awesome stuff you can do with this device, simple but devastating!

Many years ago I paid out loads for just one A4 sheet of instructions, it was for the toppit, a few years later I witnessed Pat Page do some of the most amazing magic I'd ever seen - with a toppit!

This is a utility device not a trick, tricks come and go, utility devices stay, this is an excellent utility device, and IMO worth every penny and more.

Gary Jones.
Any news on the Lecture Video?
It is pretty sad that Mr. Craig Petty made a promise to release a lecture to support his product and so far he has not done it. I guess if we do not see an answer before the end of this year then we can conlude that he is hiding behind the curtains waiting for this issue and post to be burried and do not spoil the sales during this season.

Unfortunately when this happens credibility diminsh, so now I wonder if everyhting he says in his product reviews is true.

I am sorry if my words are to harsh but it worst promising something that you cannot deliver to your potential customers.

Joaquin
[quote]
On 2010-12-14 11:31, Joaquin wrote:
It is pretty sad that Mr. Craig Petty made a promise to release a lecture to support his product and so far he has not done it. I guess if we do not see an answer before the end of this year then we can conlude that he is hiding behind the curtains waiting for this issue and post to be burried and do not spoil the sales during this season.

Unfortunately when this happens credibility diminsh, so now I wonder if everyhting he says in his product reviews is true.

I am sorry if my words are to harsh but it worst promising something that you cannot deliver to your potential customers.

Joaquin
[/quote]

You know, its posts like the one above that really make me wonder if magic really is a community.

For your information myself and David were posting the footage from LADS not to support the sleeve star product (which already has a perfectly good DVD) but to give back to the magic community. Yes, it will also help people see that the trailer was not doctored in anyway but that was not the main reason it is going to be posted. Thousands of Sleeve Star's have been purchased and 99% of people have been more than happy so to say we were posting this footage to support the product is just wrong.

Calling my integrity into question is something I cannot sit back and allow to pass. In the last few weeks myself and David have both put FOR FREE on the internet our lectures which we could have charged for. There are other things we are planning on posting in the future which we again we could have charged for. If it was all about the money why did we do that. You jump on this thread and question my intergrity but I did not see you posting on the wizard fx thread thanking us for putting our lectures out there for free.

Regarding the Review Show you have no idea how much time and effort Dave and I put into that show. We spend two days a week putting it together not counting the time it takes to actually look at and learn the items we look at. I think I have proven time and again that we are not afraid to tell the truth about a product whatever the consequences. We have upset a lot of people and had some very angry phone calls from producers but that does not and will not stop us. Yes, the show is a lot of fun to put together but it still takes time and effort. The solution to YOU not being able to trust my reviews is simple - don't watch.

Dave is one of the busiest Corporate Entertainers in the UK and I run one of the largest children's entertainment agencies in the Middle of the UK as well as perform all over the UK. This is our busiest month of the year. Between performing, shooting the show and actually having a personal life we have struggled to find the time to edit the footage from LADS and get it on the site. If you cannot wait then you can believe what you want. For everyone else, we will have it up as soon as possible.

Craig
Craig maybe it would be much easier to explain the discrepancies. If the video was not doctored, It wouldn't take a lot of time to explain the differences
That's a great post Craig. But unfortunately you are not addressing the problem. You are addressing the symptoms.
[quote]
On 2010-12-14 13:25, Craig Petty wrote:
You know, its posts like the one above that really make me wonder if magic really is a community.

[/quote]

Of course we are a community. We are people with a common interrest... magic! :)
Not sure what to make of all this. The gimmick sounds very intriguing in application. However, if you could switch a dupe coin in and out smoothly and skillfully (as alledged by some in the demo) - why not go with that method alone, as the effect on the audience is the same, only, perhaps, smoother in execution. I would be interested in purchasing a DVD covering all the subtleties and sleeving techniques using this method - much cheaper I'm sure.
Answer the ------- question?
So for everything I read here I have been waiting to buy This. Like I said I have loved everything that Wizard FX has said was good and I do trust these guys. However thay are besting around the bush on this. Is there anybody on here who has this give a review ( Good or Bad ) I don't want to spend 140.00 for a trick that just sits. ( Also has anybody seen all the knock off on ebay? ) Some even show you what it looks like the gimmick. Not sure if it is but I wont buy one of those. If I buy this it will be from Wizard.
[quote]
On 2010-12-16 13:32, Obviously wrote:
Not sure what to make of all this. The gimmick sounds very intriguing in application. However, if you could switch a dupe coin in and out smoothly and skillfully (as alledged by some in the demo) - why not go with that method alone, as the effect on the audience is the same, only, perhaps, smoother in execution. I would be interested in purchasing a DVD covering all the subtleties and sleeving techniques using this method - much cheaper I'm sure.
[/quote]

When I first saw the demo, that's exactly what it looked like to me. I thought the same thing as you. I really don't know what all the fuss or hype is about.
If the demo is not accurate, what's different?
You need to wave your hand up in the air like you're pointing out a nearby airplane after receiving the signed coin?
WoW, Craig still not addressing the problem. I kinda feel let down. I wont buy this until I know for sure.
Give Graig a chance. I'm pretty sure the guy is just busy with other issue's. At least that's what I'm guessing. He does have a busy schedule.
True that. Do you know if you need a jacket or can you wear a long sleve shirt? This would help me alot. If you have to wear a jacket I would not buy it. Long sleve would be OK.
I think you [i]could[/i] use a long sleeve shirt, but it would hinder the mechanics a bit I believe.
I think Craig isn't coming back. He's around cause he started another thread recently. Maybe bring up the questions on his other threads.
This can be done with a long sleeve shirt as well. Some of the folks I know that are using it actually prefer the shirt. I haven't seen it done in person with a jacket and it still looks great.
[quote]
On 2010-12-24 11:59, Gospel Dan wrote:
I think Craig isn't coming back. He's around cause he started another thread recently. Maybe bring up the questions on his other threads.
[/quote]

I have just about had enough of this. I have posted already on this thread telling everyone that myself and Dave are very busy and have been working non stop this December. It's 9pm over here on Christmas Eve and I have just come in off my third gig and I have another two tomorrow. The little spare time I have had has been taken up with filming the Wizard Product Review and Roughed (which by the way I gave away free to everyone - not bad for someone who is apparently trying to rip people off). If you look at my posts all I have posted recently is to let people know that the latest show is live and answering a couple of questions about roughed. I am definitely not hiding from anyone. Here are some facts for the people that are constantly jumping on this thread accusing me of vanishing.

1. I have nothing to do with editing the content of Wizard FX.tv. Therefore I cannot magically make the footage appear on there. When it is edited it will be uploaded.

2. The same faces are coming on this thread telling me to address the issue of an apparent problem on the trailer. Firstly the only issue we have had about the trailer has been on this thread.we have never had any emails or phone calls at HQ about this, in fact the feedback had been amazingly positive. Secondly I have said on this thread that the trailer was not doctored in any way and I have had people asking me to explain why David Jay's performance was different to the explanation. Well the short answer is that his performance is not different but let me tell everyone now I AM NOT GOING TO GO INTO DETAIL WITH THIS ISSUE ON THIS Café. In order to explain this I will have to publicly expose the inner workings of the effect to anyone reading this thread. if you are one of the few people that have an issue with this and you can prove you have the DVD contact me at world magic shop by phone and email and I will happily go through this in detail. To anyone else thinking of buying Sleeve Star but you want more information beyond the trailer and customer reviews then simply wait for the lecture footage to go live on wizardfx.tv and that should answer all your questions. Alternatively contact me and I'll try to help.

Hopefully that clears things up

Craig
[quote]
I have just about had enough of this.
[/quote]

Way to get defensive mate.

[quote]Well the short answer is that his performance is not different but let me tell everyone now I AM NOT GOING TO GO INTO DETAIL WITH THIS ISSUE ON THIS Café.[/quote]

I'm not going to comment on this because I don't think I need to. Anyone else want to do it?
I don't know who you are Stucky but I've offered this before and I'll offer it again. If you are based in the uk I will arrange myself and David to meet you for personal instruction AND to address your issues.

I thing this is fair. If you have a problem doing this you are obviously a faceless troll that has nothing better to do. Of course I could be wrong and if so I look forward to meeting with you at the earliest opportunity.

Craig
Not too fond of the concept of "personal instruction".

Just enjoy your gigs. Working for the holidays is rough stuff.
Fine Stucky, I'll skype you or talk it over to you on the phone or even FaceTime you, whatever. I just cannot take you seriously if I am trying to help with your issue and you are not wanting to do anything

Think it over and Merry Christmas

Craig
What issue is this exactly? I didn't ask for that in my stocking!
Guys. On a day like today let's leave this silly debate aside
You are correct Alan. As a matter of fact my gift to Craig is I will no longer rear my ugly head on this particular thread anymore. In the spirit of the holidays and all that rot. Plus I'm kind of bored egging him on any further.

Here's to hoping every one got what they wished for today. Toodle pip.
If you think the demo was misleading, please raise your hand ;-)
[quote]
On 2010-12-25 04:08, Stucky wrote:

[/quote]

Gotta love Stucky's profile as a "thread killer."

Best thing anyone can do in these parts is to completely ignore the stuck-ster - that will drive him blithering batty!

Seriously. Craig, you have gone overboard trying to be of assistance and yet Stucky wants to continue to play games.

My simple advice is that everyone ignore him as he avows himself to be a thread-killer like multiple times in his profile.

Happy holidays :)
All I know is. I have sleeve star. I use it. I absolutely love it.
[quote]
On 2010-12-25 08:47, Andi Peters wrote:
If you think the demo was misleading, please raise your hand ;-)
[/quote]
I actually laughed out loud :)
Craig,
Thank you for the Wizard FX review. My advice is just stop responding. Trolls will be trolls. This is one thread that has unfortunately lost most its focus. Some people will be happy,some will be disappointed (I have a draw full of ho hum magic, as I am sure most people do), but that is the nature of Magic purchases. The latest few comments show that their are lots of us that appreciate your contributions,so relax. We should all take saysold1's advice.

Post the lecture when you are good and ready. It's free, and for the community's benefit; Not a required piece of testimony for the defense. Thanks for sleevestar, BTW I enjoyed that very expensive DVD you did on Rough and Smooth.

Tony
I thought I'd use my real name I hope that is OK!
It should also be noted that no one else has come forward to say they believe the demo is misleading. There is a lot to be said in that.
[quote]
On 2010-12-17 09:50, Gospel Dan wrote:
[quote]
On 2010-12-16 13:32, Obviously wrote:
[/quote]

When I first saw the demo, that's exactly what it looked like to me. I thought the same thing as you. I really don't know what all the fuss or hype is about.
[/quote]

Dan the fuss is about using a demo to sell a product where the technique used in the demo isn't the same as what is given in the instructional dvd that comes with the product.
If you have the product the discrepancy is obvious.
The reason for this discrepancy has never been explained .
That's why some people are waiting on a response about this.

Chappelly
Well...chappelly, when you think about it, no response is a response. If you get my drift. ;)
You're right chappelly, I don't know what the discrepancy are because I don't own sleeve star. When I watched the demo, I personally wasn't impressed. The price seemed high for something I could do with a little slieght of hand. That's what I was referring to. I can't speak about the discrepancy cause I don't own sleeve star.

If what you say is correct, then I would completely agree with you. Something similiar happened with Frozen by Adam Grace. The demo showed a performance that was using something that is not available, not taught on the DVD. E was professional enough to remake the demo.

edh, very true! :)
@DougNichols

You do not need to raise your arm with the right fast (invisible) technique.
So your comment is not true sorry.. If it was a question it should be answered
now. I don't regret buying this at all! Don't buy it guys :)
So this is for everbody that has this. Not for anybody who don't like the video. How meny of you like this effect?
[quote]
On 2010-12-25 16:13, saysold1 wrote:
[quote]
On 2010-12-25 04:08, Stucky wrote:

[/quote]

Gotta love Stucky's profile as a "thread killer."

Best thing anyone can do in these parts is to completely ignore the stuck-ster - that will drive him blithering batty!

[/quote]

Since the beginning of the internet there have been trolls. When you realize that's what someone is, the best course is not to feed them.
Has anybody seen the knock offs on ebay? It even shows you what the gimmick looks like. This is why I wont buy off ebay anymore. But if the real gimmick looks anything like that for a 145.00 bucks. No thanks.
I just got this a couple days ago. I watched the video and I think it's only one coin. Anyone that has it knows you can pretty much transport the coin anywhere you want. Now if you look at his jacket in the video in question (I don't want to expose and if someone thinks it is please delete and I'm very sorry) But the type of jacket he is wearing would let him transport the coin wherever he wants with his right arm bent or not behind his back. Remember I think he says he has been working with it for five years. So he has had a lot of time to be modifying everything. The only thing you could say is that they never went over it in the video but it took me about 5 minutes to figure it out. So I think it is only one coin. Are you going to get this and be doing what David Jay is the same day I don't think so. The only thing I would wish for was a little more of what you get so you can make some good modifications to our jackets ourselves, I mean for the money who knows??? It's a good device that does what it says it does, with time and practice.
Hi

I got mine on Blackpoll convention after watching David presenting it all day long.
It is a great effect but it doesn't fit my work.
I am selling mine if someone is interesting please PM.
It is brand new, I only watch the DVD.
I've been working with mine and I have one of the cleanest coin to card box that has been in view the whole time.
[quote]
On 2010-12-24 16:16, Craig Petty wrote:
To anyone else thinking of buying Sleeve Star but you want more information beyond the trailer and customer reviews then simply wait for the lecture footage to go live on wizardfx.tv and that should answer all your questions.
[/quote]
I just signed up for this wizardtv thing, but didn't see it. It's been like six months now. Was the lecture taken down or am I not looking in the right place?
Quite a big debate on this thread. Does anyone have this and use it regularly?
The silence is deafening. Looks like this was a dud.
They were giving these away with TKO 2 recently!
It was a dud alright.

Overpriced.

Highly impractical.

The demo video was a false representation of the product.
Only those that invested the time and effort learning to use the sleeve-star properly can comment with any real authority.

I spent the proper amount of time learning it and think of it as a wonderful device.

However, most magicians will have expected to hook it up and be doing the trick immediately. This simply isn't the case. I think the high price of the unit led many to believe it would do the trick for them. How very peculiar!

Remember, you only get out of something what you put in.

Those who talk negatively about sleeve-star simply haven't invested the effort IMHO.
I think a lot of people were expecting a real-life version of Michael Ammar's Little Hand... ;)
This device is still wonderful in my eyes..
You can do so many indirect! effects with it, just impossible things and i'am sure its meant to create logical disconnects at its best.

Kind regards and much fun with it.
I just purchased Sleeve-Star and I am having the issue with my coins not making it all the way into the gimmick. I have three jackets and it looks they are all made the same way: with a ridge of cloth where the sleeve connects to the rest of the jacket. I don't' see any way to remedy this without modifying and possibly compromising the integrity of my jacket. Has anyone addressed this already on the forum? Sorry for the repeat if it has been. Thanks, ~Tony
http://londonmostwanted.crimestoppers-uk.org/suspect.asp?AppealID=45923

this is david jay
Oh goodness!
Did he sell sleeve star to an under cover cop or something :)
He must have sleeved something.
Wow....
Poor David, I hope he gets things sorted.
Penquin has this today on it's Cool Box for $146 with an instant $100 gift code that it says can be used immediately. See:
http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/2146
In spite of Stucky's rants, I have ordered this from the cool box. I'm looking forward to giving it a try.
KJ
I recently received sleeve-star and I am very pleased with the device and the explanation. Don't really care about how it was shown in the demo, because some pretty amazing things can be done with it. I think it would take me a bit of practice to do the effect as he did in the demo, but I believe it could be done just about as it was done in the demo with practice and skill. None-the-less, it doesn't matter. It can be used in much easier ways that are just as amazing.
Excellent!
KJ
Thanks, 1KJ! Looks like I should have grabbed the Penguin cool box deal on this. Maybe next time.
Message: Posted by: Harry the magic man (Sep 26, 2013 11:53AM)
Hopefully I will also be able to purchase this. There are so many mixed reviews but I have other Items from WizardFX so I trust this is a descent product.
Penquin has this today on it's Cool Box for the next hour.....

And you get an [b]INSTANT $120[/b] gift code when you order. WOW!

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/2146

[img]http://images.penguinmagic.com.s3.amazonaws.com/images/magitars/david_jay.png[/img]

"I don't perform other people's material, but this I will do. I'm going to put one of these in every jacket I own!"
- Gregory "crank whacker" Wilson
You can't give this away over here I put mine up for sale for a fiver months ago and it didn't sell, you really need a jacket a couple of sizes too big or at least pretty baggy under the arm and ideally wear a tee shirt with the sleeve taped up. This is extremely over priced and there are far far better things to spend $120 on. The effects possible with this can be done with the TKO 2 in most cases and generally the TKO 2 version is more deceptive. Mine came free with the TKO 2 and I was still overcharged for it but the safety pins that came with it have come in handy here and there.

Mark
Can someone email Greg Wilson and see if he has one in "Every jacket he owns?"
[quote]
On 2013-12-05 19:36, Stucky wrote:

[/quote]

From what I've seen, Greg doesn't even wear a jacket that often.
[quote]
On 2013-12-05 19:36, Stucky wrote:

[/quote]

:sun: