(Close Window)
Topic: Friday
Murphy’s Magic Supplies, Inc. is making an announcement this Friday September 10th, 2010, at 3:00 PM. We will be posting it here on the Magic Café first and will not be releasing it to the media until Monday September 13th, 2010.

For more details please visit:

http://www.MagicGoneViral.com
I'm really curious that this will be about.
Me too! Very curious... It sounds like they are going to make a magic website that all of the public will know about. I don't know if that is good or bad
Perhaps a collaboration with another large magic company?
Maybe a new marketing system/website?
Something to combat magic piracy?
An in the hands version of the 21 card trick?

I am very curious :)

Mike
[quote]
On 2010-09-08 21:11, Michael Peterson wrote:

An in the hands version of the 21 card trick?

[/quote]

I'm dying!
Maybe they joined up with some major toy company? Or walmart. There twitter post said the internet made more magic dealers but they want to expand the market more, which I assume is getting new people into magic, also their asking things like how did you get into magic.

So a new beginning to getting new people into magic.
Or, maybe magic videos will now be available as downloads from Murphy's. No more DVDs. Cloud computing, right?

Robert
Magicians usually see the method. If you know what it is and post the correct answer, will give you a sneak peek.

It's a great thing for the magic industry.
[quote]
On 2010-09-08 21:36, magicgoneviral wrote:
Magicians usually see the method. If you know what it is and post the correct answer, will give you a sneak peek.

It's a great thing for the magic industry.
[/quote]

A magic police force?
You cloned Vernon?
The removal of all Houdini's magic shops?

Mike
Its a way to get beginners into magic, selling only beginner tricks. And some how lots of people will know about it.
Teaming up with Amazon or Toys R us ?
Murphy’s Magic Supplies, Inc. Magic Kiosks in the mall?
A buy 1 get 3 free sale?

I'm seriously leaning towards a collaboration with a major retailer........maybe?

Mike
I wonder if they will become a pubicly traded corporation and issue common stock.
Major retailers are good, as we could buy things more easily (even at the moment it is already easy to shop). However, selling magic trick at retailers would give bigger chance to expose things. People will see the display and it will give them hint about some items such as TT, rings, match boxes, etc.

Anyway, I don't want to speculate wildly, but still am very curious! One more day to go?
My guess is that they will start selling to the general public, in addition to their wholesale business. Is there a prize if we guess correctly? :)
Hmm, they will release it us on Friday but the media on Monday? Who else is there to release it to other then magicians?
Does it perhaps have something to do with the Bicycle Mandolin decks?

Mike
They ask "How were you first introduced to magic?"

For me - it was in-person at a magic dealer and a counter magician showing me stuff that TOTALLY HOOKED ME. Then BOOKS. And back to the dealer for MORE books and tricks. And so on.

Today that would be an on-line dealer and DVD's and YouTube videos and TV magicians.

Friday? Viral? Hmmm....

Maybe an iTunes like magic store. Maybe a huge library of magic books via Amazon Kindle and / or magic DVD's via iPad.

I know today I would so much prefer to view nearly all my magic books and DVD's on something like a Kindle or iPad. SUPER PORTABILITY with Internet Connectivity.

Or maybe MAGICIANS get to SELL MAGIC - like mini-online dealers.

We'll find out Friday.

--
Maybe there are announcing the world wide release of the Falcon Force version 2.0.
It is soooo not a product. Magic is fun so let's keep it fun. If you post the correct guess as to what it is, I'll PM you an hour before the announcement on Friday with the details and a sneak peak.

This is really a good thing for the industry and we want to keep it fun and positive. I'd bet anything that a couple of you will get it :)
Will this be preorder?
I did not see the paypal button.
James
Is it something that will help magicians get more gigs?

Mike
Perhaps an Online interactive magic magazine
I am so glad this is coming. Now I can wait for this instead of practicing all the other stuff I bought. Waiting is so exciting.

Tim, will this be as good as Hole in the head? You said that was the best effect you had ever seen. Will this be as good as that?
James
LOL.........
[quote]
On 2010-09-08 00:31, Tim Trono wrote:
Murphy’s Magic Supplies, Inc. is making an announcement this Friday September 10th, 2010, at 3:00 PM. We will be posting it here on the Magic Café first and will not be releasing it to the media until Monday September 13th, 2010.

For more details please visit:

http://www.MagicGoneViral.com
[/quote]

Tim, thanks for keeping us in the loop!

Chris
[quote]
On 2010-09-08 22:32, Magiguy wrote:
My guess is that they will start selling to the general public, in addition to their wholesale business. Is there a prize if we guess correctly? :)
[/quote]

I don't think so and I HOPE NOT. Murphys would be cutting their own throat if they competed with the dealers they supply.
[quote]
On 2010-09-08 23:59, auriuspd wrote:
Maybe there are announcing the world wide release of the Falcon Force version 2.0.
[/quote]
What else could it be. It is the only thing people talk about these days and the only trick that is worth the money. I hope the creator knows about it.
[quote]
On 2010-09-08 23:59, auriuspd wrote:
[/quote]
It is the The Falcon Force 5 System.
So it would be the The Falcon Force 5 System version 2.0
[quote]
On 2010-09-09 00:42, Xiqual wrote:
Will this be as good as Hole in the head? You said that was the best effect you had ever seen. Will this be as good as that?
[/quote]

Too much hype leaves one with a hole in the head. Haha, let's see what Friday brings.
It says '

1. It's not a product!
2. It's not for sale!
As a wholesaler, it is difficult to address your ability to aid in the selling of products. But what can they do?

Well, a wholesaler can produce a brand range of goods, that the end user knows and trusts, then, that end user will buy those goods from any retailer.

This makes the products a wholesaler sells to a retailer more saleable, and that increases the trade for the retailer increasing the sales for the wholesaler.

A brand? Well, a brand is not as epic, nor as complex as it appears, indeed that is what it is. A brand is an appearance, a display; an advertisement. Adding in proof of consistency and quality and people are hooked.

But people are more hooked when they are involved.

Add into the mix the word, viral and I should have thought that this is a system that allows magic producers to market their products to both end user and retailer simultaneously, probably with video.

Stretching across a varied and wide range of different 'networks' and social points as possible. Here, other forums, youtube, facebook etc.

It does sound interesting, that's for sure.

JH
I for one am hoping it is an online resourse or magic magazine? Murphy's has always been dealer driven, helping the little dealer all the way up to the giants treating all the same- They will do what is best for the dealers- My guess is it is either Twitter postings of new Pre-sale Video's (links) so that the public can see the new effects and the dealers can get a jump start on pre-orders? Or the same with a uTube channel- I for one would love to see that, the only problem is that often the release dates conme and go and no product.... Hummm Friday is almost hear.....
Killing me.
Murphy's is currently offering the dealers Streaming so this is being facilitated already- And I am sure they will not take money away from the retailers offering anything direct to the consumer-

Jon Hackett
Add into the mix the word, viral and I should have thought that this is a system that allows magic producers to market their products to both end user and retailer simultaneously, probably with video.
Perhaps they are seriously getting into the video and DVD production end- like L&L. I know they have put out some DVD's in the past under their label, but perhaps they are partnering with L&L or making their own production company as a serious venture and partnering with some top names to release some goodies...who knows?!? The say it's not something that will be for sale, so I assume it will be business related. Very curious....

Jonathan Brown
Probably that the Bicycle Deck is no longer going to be available. Everyone will have to buy a Mandolin. Of course they have the exclusive.
Well if it has nothing to do with product... Maybe something to do with performing? Like a youtube for magicians, getting feedback by magicians and big named magicians?

Or a place somehow related to getting gigs?

Im clueless but intrigued...
[quote]
On 2010-09-09 22:33, Vorezo wrote:
Maybe something to do with performing? Like a youtube for magicians, getting feedback by magicians and big named magicians?
[/quote]

Magic Video Depot. I don't think it's not another performance video website.
Very good point MyMagicStore,

really, irrelevant of what is announced today, they have lots of valuable ideas here!

Should be an interesting day.

JH
Froday's here. Hit us.
Hey all...

Today's the day :) You guys, and ladies, are going to be so stoked ;)

So far one of you was close enough so make sure you check your messages at 2:30 PST. Look for an PM from Tim, Kathy or I.

By the way...

That's a hint.
Hint? It didn't even tell us anything or give us a clue. Give us a STRONGER hint, please.
It a youtube for magicians, though youtube already does that so it seems a bit pointless, Virals are videos so it has to be something like that, maybe they are more exited than we are, FF5 is the best thing to happen in a long time, cant see this topping it
[quote]
On 2010-09-10 12:19, catweazle wrote:
It a youtube for magicians, though youtube already does that so it seems a bit pointless, Virals are videos so it has to be something like that, maybe they are more exited than we are, FF5 is the best thing to happen in a long time, cant see this topping it
[/quote]

Cat I think you are there- We as Sellers and Magi alike have always been so down on those who either expose or just do such a bad job at creating those uTube videos that the effecyt is given away.... Now if we had our own channel, that was password protected, that only those who are true to the craft were alowed in... Well then we could likely keep some of the rif, raff out!

Gets my vote!
Well yes I can see that it could help to stop casual you-tubers finding 'blah blah revealed' so its probably a good thing, and everything would all be under one roof so to speak, dam it I spend far to much of my time with this nonsense (DB's words) as it is, best get a new credit card ordered.
Rumor has it that the Falcon Force 5 will be available at Walmart next to the CA magic sets.
Only 3 and a half hours to go.....
I know what it is, and you are VERY close.

[quote]
On 2010-09-10 12:26, MyMagicStore wrote:
[quote]
On 2010-09-10 12:19, catweazle wrote:
[/quote]

Cat I think you are there- We as Sellers and Magi alike have always been so down on those who either expose or just do such a bad job at creating those uTube videos that the effecyt is given away.... Now if we had our own channel, that was password protected, that only those who are true to the craft were alowed in... Well then we could likely keep some of the rif, raff out!

Gets my vote!
[/quote]
I have a hunch we'll all be quite pleased with this.

Won't be long now.
Yup. Just like the dog said when he got his tail cut off. "Won't be long now." :)
Oh, Daff! lol.
Murphy’s Magic Supplies, Inc. is proud to announce an exciting, new on-line community http://murphysmagiccommunity.com/ This is a place for new magic enthusiasts to discover, learn, discuss, and obtain magic from dealers through pictures, videos, forums, groups and more. Murphy’s continues will continue our policy of not selling directly to the public. We do want to grow magic, foster creativity, and foster a positive environment with a sense of mentorship. Our goal is to offer a positive community taking full advantage of the various social networking capabilities out there and integrating them in a manner that I do not believe has been offered in the magic community.

The site is geared to reaching and helping new consumers through viral marketing tools (Facebook, Twitter, Digg, etc.) as well as traditional marketing channels. It will go beyond simply giving information and hopefully facilitate positive exchanges of information, creativity, discussions, etc. I believe it will create excitement of magic products to new and existing magic consumers.

It will provide better information, a more positive learning environment, and a resource for the newcomer or the seasoned pro.

By taking advantage of viral marketing we are hoping to generate more excitement about magic which we feel has been lacking due to a lack of true outreach. We feel this will help magic be looked at in a more respected manner and will bring in new creative thinking. If you look at the technologies in magic in the last 20 years it is quite amazing some of the new thinking, ideas, etc. We feel that by broadening the market that creativity and exciting ideas will only expand further bringing in new ideas, new talent, etc.

We are also hoping dealers and vendors/producers will be more active participants to better help provide accurate, more insightful, and hopefully more helpful information. This is a forum to help them help you.

I hope you will join, participate, and advocate others to partake. Again, we want to offer a positive, helpful, and insightful community that takes full advantage of the integration of the many social network tools out there.

Tim
According to the TOS:
"We strictly prohibit any activity that promotes wholesale magic sales or directly competes with Murphy's Magic Supplies, Inc.. "

Hmm..would be interested to know which actions constitute competition.
Marvelous!
The new site is great Tim and very interactive.
I am looking forward to regular visits to keep up with the latest news etc. .

I will also obviously keep up with my regular doses of Magic Café. Caffeine for Magicians

best wishes
Jim
"Positive learning environment", I hope this doesn't mean we will find exposure in the video section, does it?
WOW! It's so far beyond what I even thought it would be.

Fantastic!

Chris
As a magic store owner I have many questions about Murphy's new community.

For now, let's start with the most obvious:

Murphy's magic states that it strictly does not sell retail. Why would a company not interested in retail create a web site that specifically collects my customer's personal information? If they wanted to help the magic retailers, shouldn't they be collecting names and sending them to us?
Grand Illusions, a 22 year old brick and mortar magic store with Internet savvy, wonders how precisely retailers will benefit from this venture and how this is "ABSOLUTELY [our] CHANCE TO SELL MORE MAGIC and stop fighting over the same magic consumers!"

- Steve Johnson
This is actually remarkably cool! I'm totally feeling it. Props to Murphy's for building this! I've been thinking the magic community needs something like this for a while!
Thank the Ning network for building it, but it is good to have Murphy's Magic generating a "Magic network"

Oviously, they might be able to gather a larger magic community. Time will tell.

Best wishes though.
Arteco
Im not sure I understand it fully.... I see a forum and a place to write our own blogs and a place to hear about events. Oh and a place to watch videos.

Why cant this all be done on a forum?
Facebook + YouTube + Magic Café = Murphy's Magic Community
[quote]
On 2010-09-09 00:42, Xiqual wrote:
I am so glad this is coming. Now I can wait for this instead of practicing all the other stuff I bought. Waiting is so exciting.

Tim, will this be as good as Hole in the head? You said that was the best effect you had ever seen. Will this be as good as that?
James
[/quote]

HAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA win.
After checking it out and joining, I have to say it looks like a pretty cool place! Especially enjoying Chris's videos! That guy is a natural born clown!
Anyone else having problems reproducing the two words on the sign up page,tried five times have given up now.
I have to say- I signed up, poked around the site for a bit and I am not really digging it. The site seems cluttered, with a lot of stuff going on.

What is the purpose of this site?

The Magic Café here seems to be the best magic forum today. So, I don't really understand the point of it all. It seems to be a place where dealers affiliated with Murphy's can advertise.

I am not bashing the site- I am just debating its usefulness amongst ALL the other sites on the internet today. Facebook and the Magic Café seem to be enough for me. And if you want to post performance videos, Youtube is fine- technical videos should be exchanged privately- so again where does this all fit in?

Just one more thing to join and follow etc. I am sure they are still tweaking it, and working out bugs, but I really don't see how this is the earth shattering idea that all of magic was waiting for...who knows, maybe it will grow on me.

I wish them the best, and I will continue to try to understand it all... :lol:

Jonathan Brown
I have to agree. It is confusing and difficult to navigate. I don't really understand the concept.
Does it strike anyone else here as slimy to go through such a buildup here on the Café to promote an alternative to the Café?

Tony
Yeah Tony...I second that in the sense that they are promoting a new forum on the Café...seems odd. I'm sure the new site won't really take away from the traffic on the Café though. I mean- they had to use this (Cafe) as their marketing tool to release the new site, because it gets so many people's attention. Yet they want people to start using it as an alternative to the Café(?). It's just too new to tell I know, but I don't know where this is going....

Jonathan
[quote]
On 2010-09-10 18:09, Douglas Lippert wrote:
According to the TOS:
"We strictly prohibit any activity that promotes wholesale magic sales or directly competes with Murphy's Magic Supplies, Inc.. "

Hmm..would be interested to know which actions constitute competition.
[/quote]

But isn't that just what they did to the Café?

At least they are not going to allow someone to do to them, what they are doing here.

It strike me as odd, and slimy. I thought better of them!

Tony
Prefer the Café!

I feel like I am being sold something everywhere I look on the other site, my friends are apparently shops too, didn't know they all liked me so much!

with only a little time on the site, it feels like it has all the bad bits from youtube and facebook mashed together in no order and tries to steal us from the Café.

I like it here because it seems as though most of the people here are here for their love of magic, not kids looking for a quick fix and not shops trying to get us to pay
Yeah- the site looks like a sounding board for retailers, not magicians. I don't know. I don't want to speak badly of a company I respect very much and enjoy the products they bring to the magic market, but this seems like it missed the mark.

Jonathan
Correct me if I'm wrong, but this big new concept seems an awful lot like what Ellusionist has been doing for a while, videos, forums, blogs... It seems like all they would be missing to be a clone of Ellusionist is the retail sales.

Tony
Exactly.
I won't chime in too much here as I try more and more to focus my time on the positives and stay out of the fray these posits can often bring. I appreciate those who are supporting this attempt and staying positive.

Basically the idea of the Murphy's Community is to offer a more positive, hopefully more mentor driven, more dealer/vendor/artist driven site. In addition, I believe it will be more robust at working with and through various social network media channels that are not being optimized. We are already seeing new people coming in with some real serious interest. This site is not designed to simply push products. That is far too shortsighted. We realized that unfortunately there was not a site that currently existed where it fostered a positive environment with mentorship for new magicians, one that we could seriously help facilitate. So in effect, people are getting information from Magicboy66 who has been in magic for 3 weeks and is hidden behind a screen name, Now certainly this can offer good discussion and many interesting view points and we hope that will continue as all people, no matter how long or short their experience, bring in some valuable input. In the Murphy's Community we are working with and hope to bring to you some true mentorship from top name performers who can give really good solid content. We have more control to help bring that and push that. We hope dealers will USE this forum to answer questions and give input on products in an honest manner instead of a lot of the speculation and guessing we currently see with very few facts.

If we facilitate a community where new people come in to magic and stay for 20 years instead of 20 days because they received great advice from top pros, had good positive interaction, received good honest thoughts and answers on products by dealers/artists/producers (instead of speculation), etc. this is a good thing for all. It brings in people to help us grow and be better, it helps dealers/distributors/artists/producers by having people stay in magic longer, it provides a more robust platform that better reaches out through the various social networks that now exist,

The reason why we chose to have this as a Murphy's Community is that IN magic our name brings some credibility. This facilitates us in being able to bring in some of the names on the horizon (hopefully you'll see soon) to act mentors, to give good solid advice/content. It would be very shortsighted for us simply business wise to use this as a platform to push the next new "thing". Hopefully it will go far beyond that but that will be up to the dealers, artists, producers, and magicians that use this platform we are providing. Certainly that talk on new products will most likely exist but hopefully information imparted will be more robust as dealers who have SEEN and KNOW about the item can chime in. This gives THEM a platform to help YOU the end consumers. This allows you the end consumer to see who wants to help and who wants YOU to be successful... hopefully you will respond accordingly. If we can do something to keep people in magic and make their experience better it will make us have longer and stronger end consumers... this is a much wider goal which I see as good. I wish as a 12 year old magician I had had people help instead of complain about my age and want to keep "kids" out of a magic club when in fact I was performing material at that time that was far far beyond what many of the older members were doing.

What we are hoping to do is to help people grow and be more successful in magic. It then offers forums like the Café to have better informed and a wider audience (bringing new people in through social networks) for discussions, etc. We have received positive support from iTricks, Steve Brooks and the Café, etc. We have had a number of dealers see the positive of a platform where they can help and people can see that they offer great service and insight. We have talked to top name people that see this as an area where they can mentor and make magic stronger. We have talked to artists/producers that have seen this is a platform where they can give more accurate and informed information on their creations as we can better directly facilitate that.

It's funny that people often times just assume the worst. Sometimes just trying to do the RIGHT thing can make you more successful.

Tim
Right now I am at a great convention I try to attend every year as it is GREAT- Magic in the Rockies. It's a small convention but keeps getting back such names as Barrie Richardson, Bob Sheets, Eric Mead, Danny Garcia, Jeff McBride, Levent, Mathieu Bich, Sebastien Clerge, and many many others. I was thinking about some of the concerns and inquires about the Murphy's Community. Being at the convention, I thought of a great analogy. The Café is exactly as the name implies... a place where people can go and talk, laugh, joke, argue, and hang out. Conventions offer all of this but the also offer guidance (through the names that are there), lectures, dealers rooms for dealers to show you their products and tell you why they might be beneficial, workshops, etc. We are trying to set up more of what would be the convention (not literally). There is room for both and hopefully after or before the convention you can hang out with your friends at the Café. I hope people will help this happen and actively and positively participate as it can only be good for all of us.

Tim
Thanks Tim- I wasn't trying to be overly critical. It's new ya know? Adjustment periods take time. I look forward to all this new community has to offer, but it will take time to differentiate itself from the Café and other sites. You all sound like you have big things in store, so the future is what is going to really make all of this come together. I joined and I am still navigating it and trying to figure it out. I am sure it will be a great success. I know you guys are ultimately a business and this has to pay for itself somehow- meaning dealers buying your wares have to sell product for you to see the profit as well. I mean the Café has banners and advertisements as well. I will stay tuned and look forward to change. I didn't want to seem like a complete "Negative Nancy." LOL It was a big hype, and I think it caught us all of guard as the intentions of the site. I wish you guys all the best and will continue to support your business through purchases from your dealers. Onward...

All the best,
Jonathan Brown
I will chime in by saying that I was as much in the dark about all of this as everyone else.

The day before the new site was revealed I received a telephone call from a very nice lady at Murphy's Magic informing me of what this whole thing was about and I was then asked if I had any questions. I told here I didn't and thanked her for the call.

[b]Murphy's Magic Supplies[/b] has been a strong supporter of the Café (always keeping a banner here) and I wish them nothing but success with their new venture. :)
[quote]
On 2010-09-11 17:39, doormouse wrote:
I have to agree. It is confusing and difficult to navigate. I don't really understand the concept.
[/quote]

I think it's all about bringing "Aspects Together" & creating interest & awareness of the World Of Magic, to people who may not have been aware. Of course it also encompases, those that are ALREADY aware & have a passion for Magic.

Yes you can go to youtube, & sometimes find some interesting magic videos amongst all the kids exposing the tricks! (I am sure they would be booted off of the Murphy's Site!) but you either have to search for them, or have someone post a link to the best ones, or just stumble across them by accident! On the Murphy's Magic Community Site, you will be able to see (eventually!) all the best Magic from Youtube, without having to search for them amongst the garbage (along with footage that may never appear on youtube)

Bearing in mind, that is only ONE aspect of the Community website. I am sure that it will be good for Magic as a whole.

Magic has over the last couple of years stagnated in the public eye (& also to be honest in the "Magic World" it needed a boot up the bum, I'm not saying that this will be the ultimate answer, but I do think that it COULD be, & because of that it gets my full support.

I and I am sure many others who know about the Café, will continue to support it, & in time more of the "New To Magic" people will also end up here, so it is a win win win situation for everyone!

Interesting to point out that in the U.K. I placed news of the new Community Website on THREE of it's main forums. Two of the forums are still running the news I placed (with a link) & the other one let it run for a while, then one person commented, with a "Negative" comment, & then when I went back to see what others thought of the it, only to discover that the post had vanished completely!! I then received a message via the website which stated "Hi, Shifted, as I class this as an advert."

It was shifted by the moderator who first commented on it, & THEN decided that it was an "Advert" AFTER he commented!

That's the U.K. for you!

All good wishes.

Mike Danata
I've got to chime in here and just say nothing on the internet today has the same feel and warmth as the Magic Café!

I have gained close friends and have laughed many times here. It's fun to have other sites to reference, but The Magic Café' will [i]always[/i] be my favorite resource to learn and build friendships!
Well spoken, Steve.

I believe I owe you a deck of cards, old friend.

- Sj
I am content with The Magic Café, although as one of my suppliers I will also support Murphys efforts.

Collecting data, and personal information for any company is key to growth. So while their site is being promoted as a resource to benefit the magic community as a whole, It's obvious that a greater benefit is being served to Murphy's Magic.

Just a side note, I owe Sj above me a debt of gratitude for spawning my interest in Magic 21+ years ago. He has a great store in Carmichael if ever in Sacramento pop in. I remember your first location on San Juan, Steve. Seems like yesterday, time flys my old friend...

- Jason
[quote]
On 2010-09-14 21:01, Steve Landavazo wrote:
I've got to chime in here and just say nothing on the internet today has the same feel and warmth as the Magic Café!

I have gained close friends and have laughed many times here. It's fun to have other sites to reference, but The Magic Café' will [i]always[/i] be my favorite resource to learn and build friendships!
[/quote]
Nothing wrong with that at all, & I am sure the exact same thing is happening over on the Murphy's Community Website.

All good wishes

Mike Danata
After all the hype all I can see is a on line magic supermarket with a few bells and whistles. Hardly redefining magic, rather a commercial ploy to create brand advocacy for a number of companies. They're hardly doing it from the heart for the good of magic, rather the good of their bottom lines. Very disappointing, Sheesh!
Nice to see some honesty finally.

This is hardly newsworthy, and Murphy's needs to understand (but doesn't) that warehousing magic is simply a business model (which is fine), [i]not[/i] magics grail.
Please remember it is early days regarding how this goes. I still truly believe that IT IS NOT "All about Murphy's" I actually think it's about ALL OF US! The buyers, the sellers, "THE COMMUNITY" as a whole, we all NEED EACH OTHER!

Even on this site we have had some "Names" requesting help from fellow members because of extreme financial difficulty, (they are not alone!!!) Something needed to be done, & it needed to be radical.

I'm pasting in a very long post that I put up on TalkMagic in the U.K. & this is how I truly feel! Here goes:

"I actually like it! (ref the Murphy's Community Website) REALLY REALLY like it, allow me to explain..............

Firstly Magic Shops are closing down (as in going out of business) all over the world. Small business's (like mine) cannot compete with many of the big online company's. I have a Brick & Mortar shop (as many of you know). I don't have ANY budget for advertising, & I don't really believe that it works anyway, (maybe it would if I spent £1000's which I simply haven't got). Besides it's not really about simply advertising the products anymore, there's much more to it than that.

Magic has stagnated as far as the public is concerned AND within our own community also!

I cannot go on a forum like this & BLATANTLY advertise products (I'm NOT SUGGESTING that I should be able to, because this is NOT the right place to do it) BUT IF someone goes on & reviews something they purchased from me, I may get a mention, & as I check my statistics for my website visits, I will notice an increase in traffic coming from this or other forums that mention me, (I don't always notice an increase in orders or visitors to the shop though!) If someone does start a thread & I (or a product from me) gets a mention etc, I will of course pipe in! & my www. will appear at the bottom of my post, & because of that I MIGHT get someone click the link & go to my website, & they MIGHT purchase something, (at least that's the hope!!).

In my defence however (!) I have contributed to ALL the forums (& Magicweek, which of course isn't a forum as such) I've written up reviews etc etc, so I don't feel so guilty regarding the odd plug !!!

I joined Facebook & Twitter etc, but never really understood the concept, & never really did much on it to be honest, also I have to close down my outlook express on the computer to open up Facebook or whatever, & it's time consuming, then you get all this "I want to be your friend" nonsense........ Mostly hookers I think, sexy pictures that would accompany the invitations!

When on the community forum, anything you want can instantly transfer to Facebook/Twitter etc. so you don't have to build up all the other sites, it's done for you direct from the Murphy's Site IF YOU WANT IT TO!

Now I can upload videos (or transfer from you tube etc) onto the Community Forum, & they might end up being a "Featured" video (dependant on the no of views they get plus comments etc) it's quite fun, & very competitive! The people who were interested in my videos/products might become friends, & when I upload a new video they will get a notification, telling them so.

Now you don't have to watch or read anything on the website, but it's there if you want to. You can even cancel the notifications.

Youtube is great, but you have to wade your way through all the garbage of spotty kids exposing things they can't even do! to find the decent stuff, OR you discover things by accident. Over a period of time, I think all the magic related stuff will end up on Murphy's anyway, so you won't have to hunt for it!!

The website can become FOR YOU whatever you want it to become.

It's easy to despise the advertisers or people plugging their products, but they are producing the products for the community & to earn a living, which is getting more & more difficult!!!

I keep a shop open for very few people to walk through the doors, I am here from 8am 7pm & answer emails often through the night. Please don't despise me or others for offering a service that so few people seem to want or appreciate!

Murphy's are at least trying to do something. Murphy's mission is to Make Magic Go "VIRAL", to get MORE people INTERESTED in Magic & BUILD the community, rather than merely embrace a DWINDLING community.

We need MORE customers, we NEED more interest in the creativity of Magic. We need more NEW & INTERESTING people to attend all the various conventions etc.

Of course I get a handful of new "Virgin Customers" every few weeks, it's wonderful when they know nothing about magic, & they APPRECIATE every trick I dem for them. Give them a few months after they have joined the local Magic Club & learnt many of the BASIC principles of magic, & it's a different story! You get half way through a trick & all you get is "Rough & Smooth!" "TT!" etc etc, & the magic is gone!!!

We also have to compete with DVD libraries within the clubs, MOST DVDS state "Not For Hire or Loan" etc plus books get loaned out, & then you've got magicians showing each other tricks, & another one viewing it that asks "Where did you get that from, to the reply of "Oh no, don't buy it, I'll show you how it's done & you can make one up yourself!.............

These forums (not just this one, but all of them) have the same names contributing ALL THE TIME! New ones join & many of them NEVER contribute. With the Murphy's concept people WILL contribute (because it's fun!!), the community will grow, & because of the very Pro Active Concept they have adopted, they may eventually find there way here & be AS pro active here on this site as well!!

This post is purely opinion based ON MY VIEW, as a dealer, struggling to survive in the present economical climate, & states why FOR ME the Murphy's Community Website is a good thing. I feel that it may be a good thing for others, but maybe for VERY DIFFERENT reasons to the ones that I am stating!

Incidentally I would like to SINCERELY thank Talk Magic for NOT pulling my original post on this subject matter, like one of the other U.K. forums did! (which was AFTER one of the Mods added a negative response to the original post) , & then deleted the whole thing sometime later!! Explaining in a private message "Gone because it's advertising!!"

All the best

Mike Danata
Has this site increased your sales (just curious)? I think what turned me off was how it was built up as the most ground breaking thing ever.
Good question! & I will answer honestly:

I have spent hours & hours transferring videos over to the site (been up past 3am several nights!) Much of what I have uploaded has been demos of tricks I sell, & much of it has been "General Interest" video footage, I've also started a blog (something I've never done before!). I am (at this stage), more interested in PROFILING my name, than selling products, (that can come later). Mike Danata is my "Trade Name" if you like, products are just products. I want the Magic World to be interested in me as a person (Murphy's Site allows me to do that easier & quicker than any other), if I can get you interested in ME as a person, you might be interested in my products. I don't want to be "Just Another Magic Dealer" because I am not just that, there is much more to me than that, even a google search on my name would prove that!!

Back to your original question though:

I've actually sold two items (BEFORE I even had much content on the site) & these items were sold because they were being promoted by every other magic dealer on the site!!! One of my customers emailed me to ask if I had the products (not yet on my website) I had them in stock, my customer purchased from me!

My customer would not have known about the product, if she had not seen it on the Murphy's site!!!!! so yes I have made INDIRECT sales.

The items in question are not even available through MURPHY'S so they won't be generating any sales themselves from it!!

Long term of course, Murphy's will benefit from all of this, because although not everything comes from them, a lot of it does!!!

Through their website, they are generating NEW customers, FOR THEM & US, not just servicing the customers who are already there! They are really doing something to make a difference, & I applaud them 100% on this................ I totally get what they are trying to do (& to be 100% honest, I didn't "Get It" straight away!)

There has been a bit of interest on the Murphy's Community Site regarding my R.D.R. Deck & someone has emailed me to say that they will make a purchase over the phone today, so that's another sale............. this time a DIRECT sale, because I mentioned it in my Blog!!

You can of course check out the R.D.R. deck on this & other sites, but with other sites, I don't get the platform to actively PROMOTE a really great product myself, like I can on the Murphy's Site.

All I can do is sit back & wait a hundred years for someone to review it, & then thank them for the review!! (& get my www. at the bottom of my reply!) & hope to get some sort of response & generate a few sales. I sell the R.D.R. Deck on nearly every dem in the shop, but now get very few customers actually through the door to show it to!!!

I have no budget for advertising, run the business totally on my own, I DO everything myself, from taking the orders, packaging the orders, demming to customers when they do call in. I'm here from 8am - 7pm & live above the shop, & sometimes been in the shop with customers at midnight!! (I even cooked a meal for one customer, because he turned up at 7pm (when I was about to close!) having been held up in traffic on the way from Surrey!

We have become very good friends ever since, in fact only last night I went out for a meal with him & his wife! (These sort of friendships ARE NOT developed over the Internet, IN MY OPINION).

I could go on, but I've got a couple of orders to send out today, & a Blog to continue over on Murphy's.................

But yes I have made sales, & as the community grows (& I contribute to it). I think I'll make more!

All good wishes

Mike Danata

http://www.mikedanatasmagicstudio.co.uk
I don't get it at all? Magicians.com have been doing a site like this for years as has a number of other sites. You can compete with the power of Facebook and Youtube, I am not sure it is a good idea that a wholesaler is funding this either a bit big brother like, with all the data collection of potential customer. I can't see how it is any good for the main dealers either and all the dealers are in one place? hmm... not sure about this... definitely shouldn't have created so much hype over this... nothing groundbreaking... some on Murphys do something groundbreaking!!!
Message: Posted by: MistressOfCeremonies (Sep 27, 2010 10:08AM)
What happened to all the pictures? I did enjoy the slideshows.
[quote]
On 2010-09-27 11:08, MistressOfCeremonies wrote:
What happened to all the pictures? I did enjoy the slideshows.
[/quote]

I guess they are tweeking it all the time, I enjoyed the slideshows as well, & the main page has changed. I got used to it, now I'm starting all over again!!!

All the best!

Mike Danata
My pictures were completely removed from my own profile? And the option to add photos - Gone! Did this happen to anyone else?
Hmm.... I do know the theme changed for Halloween and some features (like the sideshow Mike referenced above) were added back to the 'Main Page' per member requests.

I'm not really sure about the missing photo issue. Looking at your wall:

http://murphysmagiccommunity.com/profile/NexusMagicStore

I can see your photos.

If you do have an issue will your wall, I'd report it here:

http://murphysmagiccommunity.com/main/index/feedback