(Close Window)
Topic: Haha... The Ultimate Warrior staying in Character! Love the 90s!
Message: Posted by: Pakar Ilusi (Sep 8, 2010 05:47PM)
The Ultimate Warrior Meets Arsenio Hall

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbjNNrO8CeM&feature=related

Ahh... The good ol' days of TV...

:online:
Message: Posted by: Pakar Ilusi (Sep 8, 2010 05:53PM)
Friday the 13th Jason Voorhees on Arsenio as well.. Also in Character!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09yOZsZuxMY&feature=related

:online:
Message: Posted by: MagicSanta (Sep 8, 2010 06:00PM)
My wife use to make fun of the Ultimate Warrior cuz he lisped his name "I am the Ultimate Wawwierrrr"
Message: Posted by: Peter Pitchford (Sep 10, 2010 04:37PM)
That is way too cool.
Message: Posted by: Socrates (Apr 10, 2014 07:49AM)
A legend in the world of wrestling - and these his final words:

"No WWE talent becomes a legend on their own. Every man's heart one day beats its final beat. His lungs breathe a final breath and if what that man did in his life makes the blood pulse through the body of others and makes them bleed deeper and something larger than life then his essence, his spirit, will be immortalised. "In the back I see many potential legends. Some with warrior spirits and you will do the same for them. You will decide if they lived with the passion and the intensity. So much so that you will tell your stories and you will make them legends as well. You are the Ultimate Warrior fans and the spirit of Ultimate Warrior will run forever."

Rest in Peace Ultimate Warrior!
Message: Posted by: mastermindreader (Apr 10, 2014 11:10AM)
His sudden passing the day after appearing live on Monday Night Raw was a shock. A truly legend of wrestling, may the Ultimate Warrior rest in peace.
Message: Posted by: Dannydoyle (Apr 10, 2014 11:25AM)
For me personally he came from a time where wrestling was literally too "cartoonish".

Good on him for what he accomplished. Maybe some day we get to the bottom of why these guys depart the earth so early.
Message: Posted by: mastermindreader (Apr 10, 2014 11:33AM)
Given that he retired at the relatively young age of 36, I have to wonder if there were some underlying physical problems that may have contributed to his untimely passing.
Message: Posted by: Dannydoyle (Apr 10, 2014 12:20PM)
At 36 his body had been through a lifetime of abuse especially back then.
Message: Posted by: Marlin1894 (Apr 10, 2014 12:38PM)
Definately a hard career on the body. I'm sure the roids didn't help much either.
Message: Posted by: Dannydoyle (Apr 10, 2014 12:46PM)
Yea he kept getting bigger and smaller and obviously roided up.
Message: Posted by: mastermindreader (Apr 10, 2014 02:16PM)
He appeared to be winded and wheezing a bit during his appearance on the last Monday Night Raw.
Message: Posted by: Pakar Ilusi (Jul 3, 2014 04:39PM)
Http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAOjymA3ouA

:verysad:
Message: Posted by: Pakar Ilusi (Jul 3, 2014 04:39PM)
I just found out... :no:
Message: Posted by: Cliffg37 (Jul 3, 2014 09:05PM)
For those who are wondering.... I will remind those that have forgotten that I used to be a pre-wrestling referee. This was back in the days when wresting was "cartoonish" in some ways, and the messaqge from the big boys (Vince McMahon) was be larger than life. You can You-Tube Hulk Hogan coming to the rescue of Bob Backlund against the wild Samoans. This was Hogan's first WWF appearence. Look how small he was compared to his hay day which started only months later. With that message coming in loud and clear, all the wrestlers and would-be and wanna-be wrestlers all tried to be larger than life. Just as in the Stone Cold Steve Austin era, many small time wrestlers shaved their heads and put on attitudes. It was all coming from Titan Tower.

This is when the moves started getting bigger, the bulging muscles started getting bigger, and the phychology of wrestling began to take a back seat. People like RIc FLair, with his incredible mic skills and charisma, managed to hold on, but many either steeped up or faded out. This lead to the two biggest problems in wrestler logevity; steroids and pain killers. Between the two, and other drugs thrown in, along with many having indescriminate sex as they traveled the country/world, the wrestler's bodies came up second best.

One of the smart ones, Leaping Lanny Poffo, took his turn with steroids, hated them and stopped fast. His physique failed quickly at that point, and not being larger than life, out he went.

Rowdy ROddy Piper once said, "I have no illusions about this business, I'll never live to see 60." I believe at this point he has, that or he is certainly close. He looks pretty good too, but he was never a big roid man. He was a drunk, and he cleaned up in the 90's (god bless him for that)

Injuries inspire pain killers, and need inspired steroids. In the old days (1950's or before) a wrestler had as much chance of a serious injury as a football player or maybe rugby. I cringe everytime I watch the tape of Mick foly coming off the top of the cage. The first time he landed well as planned, but it still had to hurt like hell. The second time was an accident. He landed on one leg which went under him. How he walked away I have no clue. But he did.

I'll get off the soapbox now.
Message: Posted by: Pakar Ilusi (Jul 4, 2014 05:46AM)
[quote]On Jul 3, 2014, Cliffg37 wrote:
For those who are wondering.... I will remind those that have forgotten that I used to be a pre-wrestling referee. This was back in the days when wresting was "cartoonish" in some ways, and the messaqge from the big boys (Vince McMahon) was be larger than life. You can You-Tube Hulk Hogan coming to the rescue of Bob Backlund against the wild Samoans. This was Hogan's first WWF appearence. Look how small he was compared to his hay day which started only months later. With that message coming in loud and clear, all the wrestlers and would-be and wanna-be wrestlers all tried to be larger than life. Just as in the Stone Cold Steve Austin era, many small time wrestlers shaved their heads and put on attitudes. It was all coming from Titan Tower.

This is when the moves started getting bigger, the bulging muscles started getting bigger, and the phychology of wrestling began to take a back seat. People like RIc FLair, with his incredible mic skills and charisma, managed to hold on, but many either steeped up or faded out. This lead to the two biggest problems in wrestler logevity; steroids and pain killers. Between the two, and other drugs thrown in, along with many having indescriminate sex as they traveled the country/world, the wrestler's bodies came up second best.

One of the smart ones, Leaping Lanny Poffo, took his turn with steroids, hated them and stopped fast. His physique failed quickly at that point, and not being larger than life, out he went.

Rowdy ROddy Piper once said, "I have no illusions about this business, I'll never live to see 60." I believe at this point he has, that or he is certainly close. He looks pretty good too, but he was never a big roid man. He was a drunk, and he cleaned up in the 90's (god bless him for that)

Injuries inspire pain killers, and need inspired steroids. In the old days (1950's or before) a wrestler had as much chance of a serious injury as a football player or maybe rugby. I cringe everytime I watch the tape of Mick foly coming off the top of the cage. The first time he landed well as planned, but it still had to hurt like hell. The second time was an accident. He landed on one leg which went under him. How he walked away I have no clue. But he did.

I'll get off the soapbox now. [/quote]

Thanks for that.

RIP Ultimate Warrior. :(
Message: Posted by: critter (Jul 4, 2014 11:46AM)
I was bummed when Ultimate Warrior beat Hogan because I grew up on those cartoons where Hulk was the star. Also had a VHS of early Hogan when he was still a villain. I liked the characters back then. The Berserker coming in with his Viking sword (wish he'd lasted longer), The Undertaker with Paul Bearer, all of it. I have a bunch of the old WWF figures in the basement that I inherited from my Grandpa. I even have one of Jesse Ventura, who my Dad served with in the Navy, which is surreal. Piper and Undertaker are still favorites.
Message: Posted by: Pakar Ilusi (Jul 4, 2014 12:25PM)
[quote]On Jul 4, 2014, critter wrote:
I was bummed when Ultimate Warrior beat Hogan because I grew up on those cartoons where Hulk was the star. Also had a VHS of early Hogan when he was still a villain. I liked the characters back then. The Berserker coming in with his Viking sword (wish he'd lasted longer), The Undertaker with Paul Bearer, all of it. I have a bunch of the old WWF figures in the basement that I inherited from my Grandpa. I even have one of Jesse Ventura, who my Dad served with in the Navy, which is surreal. Piper and Undertaker are still favorites. [/quote]

Remember The Bushwackers? ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMWheL-xsww
Message: Posted by: mastermindreader (Jul 4, 2014 01:51PM)
My all-time favorite has always been the legend, Walter "Killer" Kowalski.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killer_Kowalski
Message: Posted by: critter (Jul 4, 2014 05:05PM)
[quote]On Jul 4, 2014, Pakar Ilusi wrote:
[quote]On Jul 4, 2014, critter wrote:
I was bummed when Ultimate Warrior beat Hogan because I grew up on those cartoons where Hulk was the star. Also had a VHS of early Hogan when he was still a villain. I liked the characters back then. The Berserker coming in with his Viking sword (wish he'd lasted longer), The Undertaker with Paul Bearer, all of it. I have a bunch of the old WWF figures in the basement that I inherited from my Grandpa. I even have one of Jesse Ventura, who my Dad served with in the Navy, which is surreal. Piper and Undertaker are still favorites. [/quote]

Remember The Bushwackers? ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMWheL-xsww [/quote]

I got to see the Bushwackers fight the Legion of Doom at the old Spokane Coliseum. Hulk Hogan also had a handicapped match against that sumo guy with the sweaty butt attack and "Typhoon" (formerly Tugboat). Brutus "The Barber" Beefcake was also there. One of my Mom's friends who was a female bodybuilder got a picture of Hogan and Beefcake at her gym because they went there to work out the morning of the event. She gave me a copy of the pic but I don't have it anymore. I do, however, still have the Hulk Hogan "Python Power" bandana that I bought there :)
Message: Posted by: mastermindreader (Jul 4, 2014 06:09PM)
Remember Abdullah the Butcher?
Message: Posted by: Pakar Ilusi (Jul 4, 2014 08:30PM)
[quote]On Jul 4, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
Remember Abdullah the Butcher? [/quote]

He was nasty. :goof:
Message: Posted by: mastermindreader (Jul 4, 2014 08:48PM)
That's why I liked him! And he's still around!

[quote]Lawrence Robert "Larry" Shreve[1] (born January 11, 1941[1]) best known as Abdullah the Butcher, and also at times The Madman from the Sudan, is a semi-retired Canadian professional wrestler known as one of the most brutal or "hardcore" professional wrestlers of all-time.

The scars on his forehead are the result of frequent blading. According to Mick Foley, Shreve used to put gambling chips into the deep divots in his head to entertain (or scare) people at casinos.

An amateur martial artist, Shreve also has knowledge of judo and karate, often including this knowledge in his professional wrestling matches. This knowledge was mainly displayed by him using judo style throws, and karate chops.

As part of his training regime he used to eat raw chickens with the feathers still attached...

n addition to his hardcore style, his dietary habits have also become infamous in the wrestling world.[citation needed] He has been shown to eat announcers' ties, whole raw fish, he once even appeared to bite the head off a live chicken before a shocked crowd.[citation needed] Abdullah's appearances on the NWA's Georgia Championship Wrestling television broadcasts frequently highlighted his gustatory mayhem. While on camera he was shown eating reams of paper, cardboard boxes, the announcer's script, and even half of Gordon Solie's microphone.[citation needed] Prior to a match with local favorite Bob Armstrong he ate an entire live toad in front of Armstrong and his son as an act of intimidation.[citation needed] His unpredictable, ultra-violent style served as inspiration for other wrestlers, including “Maniac” Mark Lewin, Kevin Sullivan, Cactus Jack, Kamala, and Sabu, among others; and he still continues to compete on the independent circuit in a career that has now spanned five decades.[/quote]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abdullah_the_Butcher
Message: Posted by: critter (Jul 5, 2014 04:44PM)
I do remember that guy. Have you ever seen the Iron Shiek's Twitter? Don't if you're easily offended. It's definitely not boring.
Message: Posted by: Cliffg37 (Jul 5, 2014 05:28PM)
The iron sheik has quite the mouth on him. Very opinionated too. He hasn't changed much since the 80's, at least not in public.
Message: Posted by: Dannydoyle (Jul 5, 2014 05:31PM)
WWE is going through a tough time right now. It cycles bad on them.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/danalexander/2014/05/16/wwe-ceo-vince-mcmahon-no-longer-billionaire-after-losing-340-million-in-a-day/
Message: Posted by: rockwall (Aug 15, 2014 06:38PM)
Ultimate Warrior: One-Third Of WrestleMania VI Competitors Now Dead

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/list/201404/ultimate-warrior-dead-wrestlers-wrestlemania-vi-andre-savage-rude-hennig?utm_source=taboola&utm_medium=referral#1

"The pinnacle of the Warrior's career was WrestleMania VI on April 1, 1990, at SkyDome in Toronto. Warrior defeated Hulk Hogan in the main event to win the championship. Warrior is the 12th wrestler who competed at WrestleMania VI to have died -- one-third of the card's working roster. The oldest was just 63.

As a point of reference, of the 44 starting players from that year's Super Bowl between the 49ers and Broncos, only one has died: Denver defensive end Ron Holmes, who was 48 when he passed away in 2011 from diabetes and coronary issues."

Professional Wrestling sounds like one tough career choice!