(Close Window)
Topic: Memorize faster?
Just timed myself out of the blue....took me 2 min and 12 sec to memorize a shuffled deck of cards, my fastest time was a minute and a half....anyone else out there with ideas to make things faster?
***. I wish I could do that.
You can....
[quote]
On 2010-09-10 20:50, the mnemonist wrote:
anyone else out there with ideas to make things faster?
[/quote]

Practice? :)
Yeah....practice....
Deck switch?

- Mary Mowder
Deck switch...lol....
I use Harry Loraynes memory system combined with the journey method. I have 26 rooms with 2 objects in each location. Timed myself on monday night, it took me well over 15 minutes and I had 5 mistakes. With this method I can recite the sequence, but I cannot tell you what card is the 22nd or the 39th without going through the journey. As for memorizing a deck forward and backward I take the time to anchor an object for the actual card AND location which takes a bit longer for me, but at least it allows me to know what number any specific card lies in the pack. Isn't this stuff fun ;)

Mnemonist, I'm curious as to which method you've adopted for getting so darn fast. Perhaps Andi Bell's method. That guy is a freak when it comes to memorizing cards. A single deck of cards in sub 30 seconds! Geez. I've read about his system but is a bit too complicated for me to understand
Bobby: Stop "combining." That's your problem here, if I understand it correctly. There's a guy doing a memory website for me who memorizes THREE decks of cards, in numerical order, in under four minutes, using ONLY my system - no "combinations." HL.
Hi Harry. When do you expect your memory website to be up and running? Love your system for memorizing stuff. My 9 year old daughter loves it too. She loves showing off lol.
Hey Bobby, I too use the journey. No other fancy method. Just one card, one image. Old school Dominic system. I've trained and drilled a lot though. I know the system by heart. I was into memory competition at one point. In fact, I know someone who memorized a deck in under 30 sec. using one card one image journey method. Makes me sick!!! Lol.
I started with mnemonics in the beginning and never gave it enough time to really understand, then switched to the dominic system myself. I gotta admit, the name list was really hard to make up. Took me several months and still a few of them never really stuck with me mainly cause I've never even heard of the person I chose for that number. Just couldn't come up with a name lol. It did however help me for the most part. I also really enjoy the Journey method.

Then finally I read Harry's book. Just sucked it up and really studied mnemonics. Totally easy, and don't know what the Heck was wrong with me the first time I tried it, its not even complicated. Harry's is the one I currently use, but for me linking all the cards together into a story was a little difficult. I would get the story a little mixed up at times and was never consistant. So combining the journey method with the mnemonic alphabet is the best I've been able to work with.

I don't use this combination for anything else other than memorizing cards. I find it easier to memorize numbers using just Loraynes system.
Hey bobby...so you use the phonetic alphabet right?...1="t" 2="n"...and so forth?...i used that method too at one point..you know what else I love, are rhyming pegs...especially if you want to do a demonstration in memorizing lists of objects. I came up with a list of 100 rhyming pegs for fun, granted, I can use the domninic system, but rhyming pegs are great for demonstrations like that. ive come up with an awesome list of 52 rhyming pegs for cards...and Harry Lorayne?...well, that gentleman is just awesome, all his work is phenomenal....

p.s.-i found the cure for amnesia....then I forgot what it was...
What type of effects are you (pl) doing with memory skills? Taking just 30 sec to memorize a deck is too long to use for an effect unless it is just to show off the skill or...?
I've thought of using memorization for an extended version of a multiple card selection with specs' names but that isn't memorizing the entire deck.
Effects that involve just cards? or memory demonstrations?...i don't think 30 sec to memorize a deck is long at all...my opinion of course...especially if it was a demonstration of skill, to me, its a killer effect....
30 seconds is an eternity.
If it is for a mnemonic demonstration as the effect that would be different.
Harry's the expert in this area and it's great when he jumps into these threads. You can take what he says to the bank. I have a pretty good collection of memory books from years ago and up to date stuff, and you can't beat Harry's books because he is such a great teacher. He writes in conversational language and everything is crystal clear even when what he's teaching may be a little complicated. I have one of his memory demonstration stunts printed on the back of my business cards and I use it all the time. It impresses and entertains. And, it keeps my associations sharp and fast.

I suspect that under some circumstances memorizing an entire deck is fine, but when you need something faster, consider memorizing half the pack. It's just about as impressive and will cut your demo time in half. And, if you use 26 cards, you could use Harry's "Alphabet Peg Words" for the associations. Remember, Harry also has an even faster card stunt where a single card or a small group of cards are removed through the deck. You look through the deck just once and very quickly. You then can name all of the removed cards. This is a nice routine which gets away from just the straight memory of the deck.

Dennis Loomis
Which one of Harry's books have you been using? Which would you recommend?
Well, I'm partial to his first: How to Develop a Super Power Memory. He covers so much ground, and it's such a good value for the money. But, Harry has put out many books, audio, video, etc. and it's all great.

So here's what you should do: buy EVERYTHING he's ever written or recorded. Then go through it and tell me which you would recommend.

Dennis Loomis
[quote]
On 2010-09-27 18:56, Dennis Loomis wrote:
"Alphabet Peg Words" for the associations. Remember, Harry also has an even faster card stunt where a single card or a small group of cards are removed through the deck. You look through the deck just once and very quickly. You then can name all of the removed cards. This is a nice routine which gets away from just the straight memory of the deck.

Dennis Loomis
[/quote]

I like that --remove one card idea. It should play out strong enough...
Have you preformed this, Dennis?
To taoist,

Yes, I've performed it, but it was years ago. It played well, if not as strong as something like the magazine memory. One of the features of this stunt is that you don't have to know how many cards have been removed from the deck. It could be only one, or it might be as many as 5 - 10, you can call them all correctly. It is also a legitimate memory effect, although based on a very clever procedure.

Another good stunt memory stunt with cards is called Quartet and appears on the relatively new set of DVDs from Barrie Richardson. It's described on the package like this: "Playing cards are fairly shuffled by a spectator and yet, when the cards are distributed to four participants, the performer reveals them with stunning speed and inerrancy. This is an extremely commercial effect that looks and feels like a genuine demonstration of extraordinary memory power."

Bob Cassidy has a similar effect to Quartet in his book. But the Richardson version has a "wrinkle" that allows the spectators to shuffle the cards is a more deceptive way. (It went by me when I saw Barrie do it at the L & L shoot.)

In today's world, people are very impressed with memory stunts, I find. And I recommend that you study some memory effects and try them out. You won't regret it.

Dennis Loomis
[quote]
On 2010-09-28 13:09, Dennis Loomis wrote:
Well, I'm partial to his first: How to Develop a Super Power Memory. He covers so much ground, and it's such a good value for the money. But, Harry has put out many books, audio, video, etc. and it's all great.

So here's what you should do: buy EVERYTHING he's ever written or recorded. Then go through it and tell me which you would recommend.

Dennis Loomis
[/quote]

Harry is just so good, and I think that I am going to have to purchase all of his books eventually. No better time than the present!
I've posted this before, but I've had good luck using Bob Farmer's Queen of Halloween system with a 52 step journey. My plan now is to double up each step along the journey to cut it down to 26.

I'm able to memorize a shuffled deck in less than 3 mins. Not the fastest, but it works for me -- and impresses the heck out of everyone. What's even more impressive to folks is going backwards along the journey -- or having them call out a number and then starting from that number forward or backward.

What surprised me -- and continues to surprise me -- is how easy it was to actually do it once I settled on a system and started practicing. Nowhere near as hard as I feared it might be.

The hardest part (for me, at least) was coming up with a couple of 52 step journeys.