(Close Window)
Topic: Mathematical Memorized Deck Work
I am particularly interested at the moment in some mathematical principles which can be used with memorized decks. Recently I have been reading some of the Aronson books in which I have a found a lot of great information. I was wondering if anyone could recommend any sources as to where I could find mathematical principles which can be of use when working with a memorized deck? Thanks.
Not quite sure what you mean. Are you talking about a stack where in the arrangement has some sort of mathematical predictability, or similar? Or like using a formula to convert from card to position?

Tamariz covers the math behind faros and how to calculate where a car would end up in several of his books I think. I know he at least touches on it in Mnemonica, as well as What calculation to do to proceed from one card to the next after faroing from a memorized order.
Gilbreath can be used with stack work too
If you ask beceause you would prefer to calculate instead of memorizing a stack, then the Si Stebbins Pro might appeal to you. It is a slightly modyfied Si Stebbin where the color sequence looks a lot more accidental (instances of 2 or 3 cards of the same color in the sequence). By means of a few rules you are able to calculate the position of any card, the distance between cards and the card at any number (If you don't mind doing some calculations under pressure).

If you like it you could eventually memorize the whole stack and use the calculation rules as back up.

Available at http://www.lybrary.com

Troels
A little beyond the understanding of my puny mortal math mind, but you might be interested in this:

http://www.technologyreview.com/blog/arxiv/26078/?ref=rss
Interesting article, gaddy! I knew Leo Boudreau-type routines would be handy! ;)
Alex Elmsley also used a mathematical principle for his Fate's diary trick that looked pretty random, it could be used as a partial memorised stack
I think Breakthrough card system by Richard Osterlind is what you need.. It's a little bit difficult to calculate the cards but it worths a fortune. The deck looks like totally shuffled and you can accomplish miracles..