(Close Window)
Topic: Gig Fraud
Just got this yesterday. Any of you get it too? The poor spelling and bizarre grammar immediately say "Nigeria" to me.

Thanks,
Neil

P.S. Got the followup email: the scam is that they want to overpay you by check so that you can send the overage to another alleged vendor (the videographer, in this case). Of course, the check they send to you (if they send one at all) is a fake. If you want to have fun, ask for astronomical prices, change the date of your availability last minute, and let them send you the check (they will often overnight it to make it look official, but the $20 investment in overnight service is well covered by the couple of thousand they can get from a single sucker).

Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2010 16:15:33 -0700
Subject: hello
To: neil@necromancerevents.com

Goodday,

My name is Kim Maxwel, I am preparing for my wedding which will come up on the 16th of oct 2010.. by 10:00am here in Conlins Ave Miami, Florida, As I was searching for the best Magician to make the day a memorable day for me and my husband. I saw your advert and I am really impressed about your performance. and you are going to start by 12:00pm and end 1:00pm, How much will you collect if you are to entertain my guess with the travel expenses....i am having 50 guest.

Hope to read back from you.

Thanks
I received this as well. But she was in Ottawa Canada. Thanks for pointing this out.
I received the same one yesterday also claiming to be from Ottowa Canada.
I've received something very similar in the past.
Got the same letter.
Geez if all of you are going to pass up these gigs that were just handed to you, send them my way! :bigsmile:
I'm tempted to say that, at this late date, if you still fall for something like this you deserve what you get.

How many people just fell off the turnip wagon and need to learn not to trust strangers who lurk down dark alleys?
Message: Posted by: EliTheIllusionist (Sep 22, 2010 03:32PM)
I keep getting stuff like on GigMasters. GigMasters has been debunking the requests since the IP addresses are not within North America.

-E
I also got a scam email from someone that said he was my uncle, he was robber at gun point and they took all of his valuables in London. Please send me $2,000 and I'll pay you back when I get home.

Thank God these scammers don't know how to speak English very well. The grammer was so bad I just had to laugh.
This scam has been done before.
Message: Posted by: Christopher Starr (Sep 22, 2010 06:58PM)
I received the same email from "Kim". It was instantly deleted.
By all means, let them overnight you the check. Then say you never received it. Let them overnight you another one. Milk them for a few bucks. Tell them you brought it to the bank and the FBI was interested in it...and could they please explain why the FBI would be interested?

Serves them right. And maybe it will slow them from finding more gullible prey.

Best,
Neil
I did some research, I think the scammers got our contact info from http://www.magic4us.com, Here is the email I received:

"Good day,
My name is James Andrew, I am preparing for my wedding which will come up on the 23rd of october 2010.. by 10:00am here in As I was searching for the best magician to make the day a memorable day for me and my wife. I saw your advert and I am really impressed about your performance. and you are going to start by 12:00pm and end 1:00pm, How much will you collect if you are to entertain my guess with the travel expenses....i am having 50 guest.

Hope to read back from you.

Thanks"
I just got this email. It appears to have also been sent to another magician, as there was another email address in the header info. The name in my email was different from the one above.
Got this one as well.

After sending an initial response, he offered me $3500, a portion which was to be "redistributed" to his videographer. That's when I deleted the message..lol.
Still no replies...my wedding will be ruined if I can't get a magician soon!
[quote]
On 2010-10-13 16:29, jiayi wrote:
I did some research, I think the scammers got our contact info from http://www.magic4us.com
[/quote]

That's an interesting discovery. I checked out the link. I'm not listed on that site (some of my friends are), so I guess that's a blessing that my email isn't out there for scammers to target. :)

I've only had one or two of these fraud requests over the years, but I guess that's because I use a submit form on my website, and don't put my email address out there to be harvested.

They should make directory sites so there is a link to the performer's website only, not to the email as well. I would imagine that the extra step of going to each performer's website, to look for emails 1 by 1, would slow the troublemakers down (or possibly stop them).

- Donald
It is possible that the scammers got the INFO from Elton's site... I get the most of my spam and scam-mail from this (The Magic Café) site as it turns out... oh the magic of "Delete" button. (Hehehehe!)

Elton and his site are more than likely NOT ‘apart’ of any fraud directly. (I know no one said he was… just sayin’) Elton is a kindly magician and photographer who goes to a ton of conventions and simply takes lots of pictures fro and of the events. – again… Just Sayin’

Flymo:
Send me your address and the full fee and I will fly over and do your wedding! (Hehehehe!)

LOVE your character, site, theme and so-on man! - Looks FUN! - Whoo Hoo!
Dean -

You don't have to publicly display your email in your profile here at The Magic Café. That's optional.

Just thought people should be reminded that you can do basic things to protect yourself.

- Donald

P.S. [url=http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=380166&forum=32&10]Related thread about unwanted emails, because of listing your email in your Magic Café profile.[/url]
Hiding is not for me, my email address, my real name, and web address is all in my magic Café profile for every magic marketing hustler to use, and send me some junk mail. I do not have to hide from scammers either because I've been scammed too many times for them to catch me with my guard down. Now if these scammers got spell cheker I would really be in trouble. LOL
This rang a bell, so I flipped thru past issues and found an article in the September 2008 issue of MAGIC by Tobias Beckwith titled "Anatomy of a Scam" that recounts the author's day by day correspondence with the scammer. Great reading. Page 38 for those who can search back issues.
Yeah I know Donald... as Al said, I’m not hiding-out either… shouldn’t have to.

Too, it is obvious that the slimy spammers here are not the big-boys in the spam world (Thank God!) they simply are misguided into believing that spamming works and just harvest names cuz they THINK (instead of simply actually “ASKING” and finding out for themselves the truth and WINNIBG a relationship instead of a enemy!) we WANT their un-asked-for junk mail... oh well, like I said, The DELETE Key is our friend. - - No biggy.

Funny thing is, I 'might' have been receptive to their message and product IF they had ASKED in the first place... simple idea of common sense and netiquette of days gone by... ASKING and permission principles of good will and waaaaay more effective marketing anyway since they are making more enemies than friends by spamming so it's really not OUR Loss... it’s theirs.

Anyway, to the topic... vet your buyers and use common sense.

Thanks ya'll!
Dean
<><
Al!

Since you don't hide and lay it all out there - can I have your SS number?lol
Signor Blitz
That is the kind of request that would bring up a red flag.

BTW
I got four magic junk email messages this morning from the listing of my email address on this web site, and I deleted them, it was no big deal.
I got the same e-mail request as jiayi on 10-14. I offered to do the show, in the Chicago-land area for $3,500 plus travel and per-diem. I guess my fee quote was in line with magic maniac. I told him I'd need to have the $$$ in certified funds ASAP in order to make it happen, as well as location address, event planner contact information and a whole lot more. I think I'll ask for purple M&M's in my dressing room too. I'm kinda looking forward to messing with this dude on his "supposed" wedding day. And who knows....maybe I WILL ask the FBI to check out the validity of the check....if I ever receive it.
I feel left out..I never recieved this email. LOL
SoCalPro: Once I get paid for my gig, I'll forward your address on so you can be invited to perform at this guy's arraignment party. I'm expecting my check on Monday.....
The one I got (I posted it not knowing about this thread)
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=385226&forum=7&2

The e-mail listed the venue address which seems to be a diverse location in stockton.
Has several restaurants plus some craft stores all in suite 1-b.
At first I was going to pass it on to the club in that area.
The letter I received was for a wedding in Stockton, CA. I deleted it.
One day Id like a little MMA training in a dark alley with the IP address user sending those.

Just heard of a police officer's wife whose bank account was wiped out overnight by one of those done entirely online.

Decomposed
Been a while but I got one and it is quiet different. Even wanted to chat. Fed EX check and only when it clears can I come and do the gig.

Got email and text. This is truly different. I get the check and know scam but to wait until check clears too??? Anyone figure this one out? What would be the gain?
There is a time where they can and will dispute it. They are playing the banking laws.
Yeah Danny, this is a unique one. It was almost like what do I have to lose? But I think for instance, he wants to know when the check clears. I tell him okay got the funds, it cleared. He withdraws the money from his account then causing the bank to doc me $2000. Then he wanted me to pay the photographer $750. Plus he said we could talk on the phone and emailed me. So it caught me off guard He even knew I am involved in law enforcement. Plus I was running on no sleep, Masters tournament etc...