(Close Window)
Topic: Linking rings and ninja rings
I am juggler doing an act consisting of juggling, fire-eating, clowning and a bit of magic. I had an idea to put a linking rings routine in the act but to introduce the rings as juggling props: "I will now do the greatest and most difficult juggling trick in the world with these juggling rings. *pause* As soon as I can get the rings of each other." Followed by a routine where I constantly refer to the great trick I am going to do. Off course the juggling wont work and I will eventually put the rings down.

I was thinking, the ninja rings seems much more fun than an ordinary linking rings routine because the audience doesn´t recognise the rings as magic props, and I can have them in my pocket - which works great with my character. Still, the ordinary linking rings are bigger and are therefore a better prop.

What do you say?
It depends on your distance to the crowd. For the street Ninja are likely too small. Have a big pocket inside your jacket to hold the rings. You can get 8-inchers up to 15 inch.
Thanks!

I saw the Ninja routine the other day and liked it very much. Is it possible for me to do somewhat the same routine with larger rings, say 8 inches?

I live in Sweden. Are there any good shops where I can buy rings that size and get ém posted to Sweden?
Hi Arkadia:

I think Pete is right - you'll need bigger rings unless you're doing this close up. You can do the Ninja Ring routine with bigger rings (probably 8 inch maximum) but will probably have to adapt the crash link move.

There are a number of other excellent, fun routines out there that play better to bigger crowds. I just bought Chris Capeharts street routine from http://www.dennymagic.com. It is excellent. Whit Haydn's four ring routine is excellent too - he uses a spectator during the routine. You can get Whit video from Denny too.

Ron Reid
Whit's rules if you want a spectator involved.

Al Koran's three ring routine is clean and awesome http://www.stevensmagic.com

The Koran routine (right now) from Stevens is a manuscript... you gotta buy rings. Joe sells a new set of 15-inchers which are great.

However, since you are a juggler... I would get two single rings and a locking key (so you can juggle it) but DO NOT use the lock in the magic portion, leave it open and only lock it shut to juggle.

:clownjuggling:
I will check it out then. Thanks a lot! I believe I will go for 8 inch rings.

Pete; I won´t juggle the rings in the routine I thought of, though I might want to do it in another one. If I drop one, will the rings break?
I don't think the solid rings would break.
I would invest in an inexpensive set of small rings first and see if it fits into your act. What about making some modifications to some juggling rings?
OK, you get three single rings and one key... you work with the three doing juggling and spinning, put them away, bring back out and do another bit, put them away bringn back out (switch in the key) and do the linking ring routine.

You might even be able to "adapt" juggling hoops to work a linking routine... I have seen an act do it with Toilet Seats, another with Billiard Ball Racks, etc. etc.

Use your imagination.
:hysteric:

Now, Linking Toilet Seats would be an act to follow!

What would you call it, "Flushed With Pride"? That "Bowls" me over! Have "Can-Can" music playing...

:rotf:

"Tanks", Pete...I needed a good laugh!

Doug