(Close Window)
Topic: Up to the challenge
Tomorrow (9/28/10) I'll be recording a segment for a local news show where the anchor tries different things to see if she is "up to the challenge". She wants me to teach her a balloon creation. The segment will be 2.5 minutes (I'm not sure if that's edited or what).

I would really rather not do a dog. I was thinking of a fold twist flower, but a friend said it's not that easy for newbies to constantly
add twists in the same place. Please send me your suggestions. Thanks.

Wes Holly
I don't know how Mark would feel about it, but the 2 balloon shark or dolphin hat would be good. just a couple of folds, and a couple pinches.
Thanks to all who have pm'ed me on this. I just got off the phone with the news anchor and this is what she wants: after a short interview about me and balloon twisting, I will demonstrate how to make a basic, intermediate & advanced creation, which she will then try to copy after I'm done with each one. As she
describes it, she wants something she could probably do, something she might be able to do and something she doesn't have a chance at, but will give it a try. (insert evil laugh here).

This will be at a popular shopping center and she will use the crowd to judge how well she did. Here are my ideas:
basic - 6" heart on stem (2 fold twists)(thanks Mo)
intermediate - Square Knot hat (thanks Ralph Dewey)
advanced - (remember, this is something I can demonstrate in a short time span)?

I will have pre-inflated balloons on hand as well as a few larger "show pieces".

wes holly
Wes, for the advanced, why not a weiner dog that ate a meatball (pregnant dog for older audiences). It is quick, but unless you have the touch and feel for it, pretty much impossible.
The Basic teddy bear is something quick but would take a beginner some time to learn and looks more complicated then it actually is.

If you get the chance please post a video of the news clip
Here's the video -
http://www.foxbaltimore.com/newsroom/features/challenge/videos/vid_82.shtml?sms_ss=facebook&at_xt=4ca4a9ad327dda9a,0

wes holly
Message: Posted by: Bad to the Balloon (Sep 30, 2010 12:30PM)
Nice job!!!
Hey Wes

Is that frog your own creation?

Mark
Great segment. You had the presence of a real pro. Which we know you are.
[quote]
On 2010-09-30 14:20, keeblem wrote:
Hey Wes

Is that frog your own creation?

Mark
[/quote]

I won't say it's totally mine. I have been to several conventions & I know it's a conglomeration of several frog designs I have seen. It is in my mind that I simplified the head design to only use one green balloon

wes holly
Great Segment!! I really liked the hat that you gave the reporter at the end. I hope you get a lot of work from the exposure!!
That is a fantastic spot and they did a great editing job. I wondered how in the world you were going to fit all that in on a live shot. Congratulations!
[quote]
On 2010-09-30 19:01, Steve Yarosko wrote:
Great Segment!! I really liked the hat that you gave the reporter at the end. I hope you get a lot of work from the exposure!!
[/quote]

Yes, that was pretty cool. How long did that take to make?

Mark
Great job, you represented yourself and the industry very well! I especially loved the "this is why you hire a professional" comment!
[quote]
On 2010-10-01 01:45, keeblem wrote:
[quote]
On 2010-09-30 19:01, Steve Yarosko wrote:
[/quote]
[quote]
Yes, that was pretty cool. How long did that take to make?
Mark
[/quote]

It takes an hour to make. I used to make that darn thing every day, for every gig. Now I only make it for special occasions, usually as a gift for the bar/bat mitzvah child.
An hour every day you made it? WOW that's 365 hours a year 9.1 weeks a year at a 40 hour work week!

Dedication buddy!
Great Job, Thank you for sharring that clip with us. I love The Frog and that Hat was amazing