(Close Window)
Topic: Some of my street material.
Message: Posted by: J.G. the magnificent (Sep 30, 2010 10:49PM)
I recently posted my first youtube video and it is about time. Here it is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgedaFqqPOA I know it is not perfect as in my description. I was a bit camera shy and my patter was off. Overall good I think though. I also I noticed my slights were a bit quick on my false transfers, retention vanishes n such. I think I should slow down a bit on those. Like Magic For Dummies states seeing yourself on film is a lot different than a mirror. I do this with better presentation and more confidently in person.

Both routines are of my own compiled from multiple materials. My sponge balls routine has more or less been the same for eight years. My cups and balls is about a year in the making and I think could use improvement. If anyone has anything to say let me know. Thank you everyone for all your help in support with my cups and balls even if it is not perfect it is something. P.S. that is my busking table.
Hi Jeremy,

I have to say, I really enjoyed watching that. You are obviously just starting out as a street performer but you went the extra mile in search of originality in your routines and you found it. I absolutely LOVE the premise of the peanuts and the flower posts. As you mention it needs more confidence and I think if you made an effort to be more up beat it would help a lot. Nothing helps that stuff more than stage time. You have a great idea for a show there, put a lot of stage time into it and it will be a great show. the most important thing is to keep doing it! Don't be discouraged! and most of all HAVE FUN!!!

Best,

Dan-
Just watched the video and thanks for posting that. It always helps to put
a visual to the description. So here are some points I can add and I hope they
help.

As Danny said (good advise btw), you have a truly orginal idea there. Just keep
working it. Also, I can emphasize about being upbeat...it's important to be
excited. If your having fun; it most likely your audience will sense that and
join in.

Here is an idea for your sponge routine. If your using a rope to outline your
stage, stand in front of the table at the line of the rope. During this routine
you can define your space and people "get it" to not cross the line. Plus, your
sponge routine will bring other people to the line. Then when you go to your
C&B routine you go behind your table. Just a suggestion.

Finally, it looked like your using a glass table underneath your mat? On the
street, I would think that one it's heavy and two it will break over time.
But maybe you just used that for the video.

Hope this helps and we get a chance to see you evolve.
Message: Posted by: Christopher Rinaldi (Oct 2, 2010 11:54AM)
Man that was a really cool routine ya got going there, I like the glass table top but would would plexiglass myslf, with a nice wood trim.
Message: Posted by: J.G. the magnificent (Oct 2, 2010 07:33PM)
I love the suggestion about performing behind the border line rope. That would work I am sure, I suppose I was using my table to hide. Regarding my table though it is actually plexiglass. I originally wanted wood but my father suggested plexieglass since it is lighter. At least that's what he said the board I wanted to use was pretty and ligher. Realy doesn't matter though, it works.

I am curious though how I could get a wood trim along the edges. A side note I originally wanted it hinged on but my dad said for complicated reasons to use wire loops. So it is looped on. I think hinges would work and be nicer. I have it velcrowed so it doesn't flap when down. The whole thing folds up flat other than the bag stapled to the side. Even has a shoulder strap, quite nifty not too heavy.
Upload a video of a "street" performance would love to see it in action - some good things going on
Message: Posted by: J.G. the magnificent (Oct 2, 2010 10:27PM)
Ya I wanted that to be my first video but couldn't get anyone to film me. Eventually though
Message: Posted by: J.G. the magnificent (Feb 15, 2011 04:28PM)
Started rethinking my routine and developed a totally new concept. Not sure if it would ruin the finally or not though. I do the routine with balls. I eventually get towards the end and place one in my pouch. Show it to have appeared under a cup. Place it back in my pouch. Then place the other two in the pouch explaining that they too will appear. After their appearances I place them away again momentarly. I lift each cup revealing final loads. Place these by the cups and bring balls back out after them.

I then place each ball under a cup explaining that if I tried to sneak a ball from a cup. The bigger ball on top would fall off giving my move away. Stating that it is fair I lift the cups revealing peanuts. Place the final loads in my pouch and move on to the signed peanut. At the end I may or may not use final loads again.

I realize though that they may think those three could be tricked. So to disprove that I place them into the big back of hundreds and have a volunteer choose any three. An alternate addition if I did the loads again at the end. Would be to place the three loads into a drawstring sack like for the cups. This is done over you pouch so they may fall out through a hole in the bottom. This is then tossed aside into a large bag. Later after I have done the loads again I could pull out an empty bag as a good laugh.
Message: Posted by: J.G. the magnificent (Mar 17, 2011 03:13PM)
No one replied to my last post. Possibly because the discussion is old but I dicided that idea was out. I wanted to come up with a way to do the color change without the early loads. Just place a ball under each cup revealing peanuts in their place. I would need an excuse for going into my pocket a couple times. One excuse would be for my wand. Beyond that I don't know perhaps at one point though I could just casually rest my hand in my pouch for a second though. Any thoughts?
I was actually confused with your last post; I just couldn't follow it until I watched your show again. I think you made a good choice in taking the idea out.
I don't think you should change your show until you have given it some good air time.
Here some points that I thought might help polish your routine a bit (do what you
will with it :pop: )

[list]
[*] Its great that your still at it. Have you been out performing?
[*] I see you having fun with sponge act that's cool.
[*] I would remove the specs choosing peanuts from the bag. (Unless, I had good gag).
[*] Just pull out three peanuts to do your CB with them.
[*] After the vanish of the signed peanut and re-appearance; I think you done.
[/list]

[b]Suggested Finish 1[/b]
Vanish the signed peanut as you do.
And when you lift up the 3 cups have balls under two then the middle have the signed peanut. Hand out the signed peanut, and say , "when you get home crack it open and
check out your fortune".

I think that is all you need for the magic, the rest is working on your performance
and being entertaining. :bigdance:

Hope this helps (but I'm no pro :) )
Nice. Good work man! It is hard to do a street show in a living room for your family and really capture the energy. It is even riskier to critique it since it is so constrained.

So…since this is as old as yesterday how getting a new one put up so we (and you) can see your development.

That you are still posting about this tells me that you are still interested. There was some good tips and hints given let’s see what you did with them.

Your table is fine. Keeping it simple is always best. It’s a table for goodness sake. It should go unnoticed.

About the table; it defines your work space. As mentioned above get out from behind it. It is your background and anchor when doing your sponge balls (or any spectator/audience interactive trick).

The sponge balls should be done in front of the table and moving around your audience so they can see and participate in the various stages. You can have one spectator hold the balls at one point and another hold them at another point in the routine. Go to the spectator and maybe pull them a little away from the crowd. For the penetration effect manage to be standing alone in front of your table. That allows more of your audience to see and appreciate the effect.

Your hat: You seem to use it as a part of your sponge ball routine then ditch it. If you are going to ditch it how about dropping it mouth up in front of your table to accept tips? Make it work for you. Me? I’d put it back on and use it to help define my character. Don’t for get that the immortal James Stewart (the actor from your parents childhood) said that, for him, a character was developed from the hat.

You might think about putting some color on it. Maybe a colorful ribbon hat band, maybe stick a card in the hat band (a cliché I know but there it is).

Your flower pot and Peanut routine is novel and you. Keep at it until it becomes second nature” and a little faster paced (you have a couple of dead spots where you fumble for a “something”).

Don’t step on your climax! You show the three balls then go for the fourth and even bigger ball but it is almost a throw-away (rolling off the table) and you go into juggling right away. That final ball is your “Ta-Da” moment. Pause, smile, throw up your arms, grin like you did something marvelous (as you did!) and accept the applause you are due.

You have a nice smile, use it! Make eye contact with as many people in your audience as you can when you perform.

And as my good friend Danny Hustle said “have FUN!”.

Now let's see the next video and where you are at not!
Message: Posted by: J.G. the magnificent (Mar 18, 2011 12:17PM)
Solrak29 I love your thoughts. Before I even though I saw finaly with the signed peanut I also say finaly in the loads. So I thought do loads after the peanuts. As suggested to me just do them immedietly after the peanut rather than stomping the applause with another effect before hand. Which I eventually figured out. Then got caught up in working on many ideas lately as you can tell. In thinking of doing two loads and a peanut I think that would make my dilema eisier. I could just change a single ball then say you don't need to use this one though I have a whole bag. Which they choose from I think that is important because free choice makes a reappearance that much cooler. So just take out the beginning choice of peanuts and just hand them to my first crowed to snack on during my show. Using the balls for the show, as I figure a routine I will post it and eventually put up a new video.

Harry I love your advice as well. I have learned to work away from the table though. Even using a border rope to slowly back away from. Anyway in that video I just wasn't thinking street wise I was thinking post my routines that I'm just doing all relaxed like in my living room. I was a bit nervous on camera so it was a bit choppy and was hard to have a personality with no real audience. I should step back from the audience during my penatration effect though I liked that suggestion. That is a point where I gradually step back to my table. I can come up with other reason for that where I step back for emphasis. I now use copper Penguin Cups though the are heavy and don't break. Plus I can claim they are cups.

Thanks so much,
Jeremy Gates
Message: Posted by: J.G. the magnificent (May 2, 2011 10:01PM)
New video that is much better though I am still a bit camera shy. The video pretty much says it all. I eliminated all loads but the peanut they would have been too much. I almost wanted to at least have one load before the peanut then the peanut but figured it was to awkward in handling. Comments? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgzshiLzXU8
Message: Posted by: J.G. the magnificent (May 2, 2011 10:07PM)
Don't know who this guy is but man does he have a great routine. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xc0gEwfpxnY&feature=related
[quote]
On 2011-05-02 23:01, J.G. the magnificent wrote:
New video that is much better though I am still a bit camera shy. The video pretty much says it all. I eliminated all loads but the peanut they would have been too much. I almost wanted to at least have one load before the peanut then the peanut but figured it was to awkward in handling. Comments? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgzshiLzXU8
[/quote]

MUCH better than the first time. Still needs more energy but I think you have an uphill battle when you can't feed off the audience and they off you. I suggest you pretend they are there even when you practise. This gives you an incentive and the feeling to change "and they also penetrate the cup" (factual, downbeat) to something like. "AND THEY ALSO PENETRATE THE CUP!!!!!" Basically you have to be at a higher emotional pitch than your audience, if you are quiet and mousey so will they be. My best suggestion would be find an old people's home or something like that. The audiences are gentle and will love you. You will get an opportunity to practice magic AND performance in front of people who will be seeing you for the first time and enjoying your work....unlike parents who may have been dragged in several times before!

I did an old people's dinner yesterday, didn't all go perfectly, no-one cared. The audience were fantastic!

Keep posting. Much much better this time :0)
Message: Posted by: J.G. the magnificent (May 4, 2011 09:36PM)
Thanks curious how the routine itself was though. Aside from the lack of personallity and fluk at the end.
Man, lack of personality sounds a bit harsh! You have personality, let it out there, personality wise the bit where you smiled eating the peanut "mmm yummy" the smile made a huge difference.

I like the ball of yarn idea, I like the signed item idea. Some patter for when you are pulling the yarn would be good (as you say it takes a while), but I am not the person to ask for patter.
You might also like this guy. Tommy Wonder - absolute genius! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJ6qT8JvaMY
Actually I am probably also not the guy to ask about routines - my time performing magic is quite limited. My time performing in general however is much greater.

So given my self professed inexperience you may wish to ignore everything I say - which is fine.
[quote]
On 2011-05-02 23:01, J.G. the magnificent wrote:
[/quote]

A little more up beat, I thought. The cups and balls routine was ok, the penetration timing was off; I thought.
I still think you should keep the bag to your self. Make the peanut appear and use that nut to disappear and
reappear. You could actually make a gag out of it, where you trying to do the effect with 3 balls and 3 cups but
that peanut keeps getting in the way an you keep getting rid of it (magically) and it keeps reappearing. Then you
can point to an audience member and say, "your doing this aren't you...". Have them sign it to prove it and
that signed peanut reappears for the last time...something like that.

One thought though, you can come up with a trillion endings and variation, but I though you would of taken your
previous routines to the streets already; especially now since the weather is nice. The best feed back you will
get will be from your audience. I would say get out there in front of a real audience and see how it works.
Though what your are doing here is great and it's great that your family there is supporting you.

What do you think?
Message: Posted by: J.G. the magnificent (May 5, 2011 11:35AM)
Djurmann I don't think your advice is bad I am no better than you anyway just read some of my previous posts. I love Tommy Wonder by the way and his routine is great. solrak29 I have loved your advice and I love your ideas like the one you just suggested. Having the peanut keep moving about. If this routine gets me anywhere in the magic community I will give you credit. I have taken my previous routine out though and modified it from there and this is actually a routine I have tried a couple times in front of people. My family and freinds enjoy it. I have busked three times now out doors twice and indoors once. Thanks guys
Hey Crushed and Restored SIGNED peanut!
I loved it!

Do it a 100 more times and you're going to have a signature effect!

Keep it coming, Jeremy.

best

dave
Message: Posted by: J.G. the magnificent (May 26, 2011 11:56AM)
Solrak29 I finally got it figured a way to have the peanut continuing to get in the way. Like you suggested and not only is it funny but makes for hillarious patter and lenthens the routine. I will post a video of the new routine shortly.
Great!!!

Can't wait to see it.