(Close Window)
Topic: Blamed as doing evil
Hi, my 1st post

I am a devoted Christian, do a little gospel magic when asked by my church or other churches that know me but mostly do normal children's shows and restaurant magic.

I went up to a table the other night did a bare hands bill production and then went into a small Dlite sequence with the little girl at the table. At that point the father became angry and said "I rebuke you" He thought I was pulling something real (spirit) ??? out of his daughters ear or something. He was from North Africa so I can assume that they are influenced by witch doctors and vodoo magic and he might have been a converted Christian not understanding the entertainmjent of magic. I said to him that it was only a trick for entertainment and that I was a Christian, I appologized but he would not hear of it and only said again that he rebukes me.

I left it as poiitely as I could , informed the manager who only laughed it off but did try tell him as well that it was just trickery.

I have done the Dlites hundreds of times and never had anthing like this. In the past at the restaurant when I have known someones a Christian, usualy get my clues from asking which schools the children go to, I will usually do a gospel rope trick in the restaurant so this disturbed me.

What made me wonder is that this guy is probably going to a 'church' where a false type preacher is tellng them all sorts of weird prophecies, taking money etc yet he thought I was evil ???

Any thoughts
My thought is to be careful how you judge. You don't know this person's history, nor background so it is best not to jump to conclusions. A good steward will always be sensitive to others, no matter how weird we might think they are.

Other than that. It sounds like you handled the situation as best as you could. That's all you can do. Trying to educate them about magic is not always the way to go with people who have a hard time with magic. Just respect their beliefs and move on.
Wow Wee...welcome to The Magic Café! We are honored that you began your journey in this set of forums with us.

When you meet folks that have a problem "magic" in a table hopping situation, just sincerely apologize for anything you did that caused them concern. Share that your realize sleight-of-hand is not everyone's cup of tea. Express that you hope this doesn't damper their experience at the restaurant that evening and excuse yourself. That's it. Tell the manager in case they make a complaint so it doesn't catch them off guard, but through it all show respect to the person you have "offended." They are a customer first, your audience second.

You will never make everyone happy. Fear of what one don't understand is a symptom of simple mindedness about a topic. You are not dealing with an idiot, just someone who likely has a legitimate fear of something and you have sparked it. Don't fuel the flame.

As for the church they go to, that could be true...but it is more likely this person is a new Christian and doesn't understand the difference between what the Bible condemns as magic and what we do as entertainers. However, you are NOT the one to correct this for them. Lift them up in prayer and leave it in God's hands.

><> J
[quote]
On 2010-10-04 08:00, Wow Wee wrote:
Hi, my 1st post

I am a devoted Christian, do a little gospel magic when asked by my church or other churches that know me but mostly do normal children's shows and restaurant magic.

I went up to a table the other night did a bare hands bill production and then went into a small Dlite sequence with the little girl at the table. At that point the father became angry and said "I rebuke you" He thought I was pulling something real (spirit) ??? out of his daughters ear or something. He was from North Africa so I can assume that they are influenced by witch doctors and vodoo magic and he might have been a converted Christian not understanding the entertainmjent of magic. I said to him that it was only a trick for entertainment and that I was a Christian, I appologized but he would not hear of it and only said again that he rebukes me.

I left it as poiitely as I could , informed the manager who only laughed it off but did try tell him as well that it was just trickery.

I have done the Dlites hundreds of times and never had anthing like this. In the past at the restaurant when I have known someones a Christian, usualy get my clues from asking which schools the children go to, I will usually do a gospel rope trick in the restaurant so this disturbed me.

What made me wonder is that this guy is probably going to a 'church' where a false type preacher is tellng them all sorts of weird prophecies, taking money etc yet he thought I was evil ???

Any thoughts
[/quote]
I uderstand the feeling, My own mother rebukes me anytime she see's me working on any type of magic effect. My mom is in her late sixties and she has spent most of her life in very conservative pentacostal churches. I have attempted to explain to her on numerous occasions that these are simple effects and quick hand movements I even let her read the FCM article "Should Christians do Magic?" that I translated for her to spanish. This is the problem, she grew up in Puerto Rico, and her parents (my gradparents) were involved very heavily with santeria (Afro-latin Vodoo) so she witness many things, such as demonic manifastations, demonic possesions, and etc... So when she became saved, all these expirences stayed with her so she now belives that any type of effect or sleight of hand is evil. For people that have either seen or been involved in the "supernatural" or the occult the word or even an implication of "magic", carries with it some very negative stigma. That said I continue to pray for my mom and others like her that the Lord open their eyes to the reality that gospel magic has no supernatural involvement and that the effects are soley to open the door to spread the Gospel of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, who died for our sins, rose from the dead three days later and now sits at the right hand of the father, Amen.
Always make it clear that you are doing tricks, not "magic".

I am going to do tricks that are so good they look like real magic, but they are not! The are just tricks, but if I do them right, I will trick you real good.

Hadden Robinson, a Preacher's Preacher, performed magic in his youger days, and often comments that a card trick is not magic. And that God probabley really doesn't mind if we do these silly tricks. Where the Bible warns us is against "MAJIC", consorting with spirits, and the like.

Be sure also to let the effect be a tool to help convey the message. So when all is said and done, the message is what remains.. This makes it much harder for folks to try to label you as a blasphemer, etc. etc.

However, that all said.... Some people are wound so tight, or possibly have been touched in a bad way by "majic" that you will still have some negativity from time to time.

Do as you have already done, pray! But pray that you Glorify Him, and let the magic be secondary to the message that honors HIM.

I actually do mentalism type effects with a Message, but am clear that it is all a trick, and my skill at trickery is what ehy are seeing, not spirits at work..

Doctor Cognos
I love to mention Dr. Warren Wiersbe- former senior pastor at The Moody Church in downtown Chicago, and later head of the national radio broadcast "Back to the Bible"- and the author of at least (very conservative guess) 100 religious books and Bible commentaries. See a list at http://www.christianbook.com A terrific author and a wonderful preacher- I heard him many times at "Founder's Week" at Moody Bible Institute in Chicago. Yet- Abbott's Magic Company in Colon, Michigan, still publishes even today (and has in stock) Dr. Wiersbe's books on thimble magic. I have a signed copy of his early "Tantalizing Thimbles" I think it was called.
He may have drawn a false conclusion due to the soft colored lights --perhaps often associated in myth with ghosts and spirits. Try sponge bunnies, perhaps?
In my country people are very superstitious, unfortunately there are many people like this in church, in other side churches here are very conservators (generally) when I'm using magic gospel,I say that I'm going to use maths jokes, illusions, never speak the word magic.
To prevent some bad interpretations, in our ministry we have made cards withe normal paper, without the facing.
Normally I use prestidigitation, that's says all -- my hands are faster than the people's minds.
I understand you when you say you had been "rebuked", once I've made a close up in a dinner with my wife aunt and she though that I was a wizard. I made the glass pass through the table.

All you can do is to be nice and educated to the people, and continue your work.

At the same time put it all in the hands of our Good Lord.

Just remember that is not easy to be a Christian and perform magic. We must be very "attached" to God.

p.s. Sorry my English
Thankyou for all the replies.

Living in south Africa I have had a few people phoning me at times to ask If I can help them gaining health, prosperity etc when they see my adverts or find me online and think I can do "real magic". The sad thing is that there are other people, frauds mostly, that will take their money and offer to do these services for them.
I understand this man all too well. Unfortunately, I once rebuked a world-class performer who was giving a free show to my child's school - he's never come back. I knew about suffling and dealing cards and palming coins, but not this kind of stuff!

Then I happened across an Abbott's catalogue and saw that I could buy almost everything he did, even the floating table! I felt very stupid, and sent him a letter of apology.

I would have to ask how you approached the table. Did you ask permission before you started? Is there any advertising about your services in the restaraunt that would have alterted this man to a strolling magical entertainer? I don't do restaraunts, but I did hear of one idea that sounded wonderful to me - a folding "tent" card on each table advertising and explaining about you; if they don't want magic, they simply lay the card down, and you only go to the tables where the card is standing up.

Ed
Hi Wow Wee!

I also have been "rebuked" at a performance. Once, at a Baptist Church, I was asked to come and perform for a group of children, while the service was going on upstairs. The kids apparently were so impressed, the Pastor asked me to perform after the service for the adults.

The mistake I made, was performing a Floating Ball. A lady freaked right out! She ran crying, out of the church, yelling something about "Satan" or "demonic activity", or the like. I felt so bad. I never realized the impact of that illusion. I told the Pastor, it was a simple trick, and I was sorry for offending anyone. He said it was his mistake, and I was not at fault. I was never invited back.

Recently, at a Pentecostal service, I did a Coins Across for a few members, who seemed to be interested. One fellow took me aside, and recommended I put my coins away, and never do that sort of thing again. He said that was the worst thing I could do, if I am a Christian. He put his hand on my shoulder and prayed some pretty heavy stuff.

I don't know what to think, now. I've done magic tricks for more than 36 years, and never realized the impact it could have on certain "Christians". I was Born Again in 1977, and do not want to throw a monkey wrench in ANYONE'S religious beliefs, let alone a Christian's! I fully understand Wow Wee's confusion.

Doug
Doug, if you think it's rough having people you hardly know rebuke you, try having your own mother rebuking you and telling you you are being used by satan. It is very hurtful, especially when you truly love the Lord. From what I have been exposed to at this forum with the other members of FCM, I believe that this organization has a heart, for lost souls, and as long as the message of Jesus Christ sacrifice on Calvery, his ressurection and acension remain in the forefront of the message than that's what truly matters. Skills with sleight of hand, or gimmicks used for an effect are not whats important. As a member in the body of Christ your accountable to God only!!! No man can point and judge if you are relaying the true gospel of Christ through your talent. What I have learned is that we cannot change the hearts of men only God can do that, the only option for us is to ask God to bless those that curse and misunderstand what we do to further the gospel. Jesus warned his disciples that this would happen and in Matthew 10:14 he says to them: If anyone will not welcome you or listen to your words, shake the dust off your feet when you leave that home or town. It is again repeated in Mark 6:11 And if any place will not welcome you or listen to you, shake the dust off your feet when you leave, as a testimony against them." At times even the most devout Christians can error in judgement, and accuse a brother in Christ of wrong doing with out even praying about what they are about to say to you. In situations like this you have to behave as the more spiritually mature Christian and forgive the offending bretheren and move on.
That would be true if all we were doing was spreading the message of Jesus Christ. However, we, as Gospel magicians take it a bit further by using magic to spread the message of Jesus Christ.

Let me be first to admit that it is still a controversal way of spreading the truth. And, not a necessary one. How many of us would still evangelize if we couldn't use magic? How many of us use magic because we love performing magic? How many of us love evangelizing because God loved us enough that He gave His only begotten Son to die in our place for our sins that we committed, an we love the world enough that we wish no one to perish?

The only, and best way to spread the truth is in it's raw form, by the authority, and through the conviction of the Holy Spirit. Nothing less, nothing more. We add more, not God.

We add more because of our selfishness, and I'll challenge anyone who says different, even myself. :)

It is our selfish desire to be the center of attention that has us performing Gospel magic, not a calling, or a specially gifted ministry.

God doesn't call us to perform magic, but He does call us to be witnessess. How we witness is left to us and our gifts and talents. But let us walk first in the path of righteousness and not aim for self gain, seeking nothing more than to be servants for the Lord.

We are ignorant and self fulfilling creatures who feel that if we can take something, anything, and think we are glorifying God with it because we mention His Words that we are doing good things for the Kingdom of God. This is not always the case.

We have to be aware of that, and be sensitive to that. If we are not, then we are doing what we do for selfish reasons, and are forgetting that we are servants, not Lords.

The only thing we can honestly justify is the truth of the Gospel message, not our magic. Once we try to justify our magic we loose the message.
100% correct, Gospel Dan! I never looked at it that way! Plus, I never, ever want to offend anyone with what I do. I perform magic, because it's something I love, carnal as it is. I do not want to offend a brother/sister in Christ, OR someone who is not.

I think I'm going to be more careful, and ask questions, before I whip out the ol' coins, and start makin' them fly all over the place! This has been an enlightening topic for me. Thank you!

Doug
While I am careful and considerate, I do not feel at all that I am somehow harming a brother or sister in Christ by performing magic. Our performance is born out of the GIFTS our Lord has given us. I know that my magic brings joy to people. I know that for a space in time, people experiencing magic with me are loosed from the bonds of day to day survival that we all face.

Do I apologize to these people who are superstitious? No. I am polite and will say, "I had no idea that your faith teaches that magic is evil, so, as not to offend, I shall bid you God's blessing and a good evening." If they PRESS me, I will gently say to them, "if I TRULY had magical powers - evil or otherwise - do you think I would be doing card tricks and coin tricks in a restaurant?" I am gentle but firm in this and believe it or not, I have brought a smile to these people if nothing else, and we can agree to disagree. Oft times however, they will relax and ask me to perform.

Ahimsa,
Vlad
Doug,

I read your post, and YOUR answer lies with your sister and the faith to which SHE devoted herself.

But, that is best left to private discussion rather than risking a HUGE flame war against a discussion of truth.

But I WILL say this OPENLY: The man who prayed the heavy stuff over you judged you. GOD is our judge. No priest, minister, nun, monk, rabbi can judge us in matters of faith. Your Orthodox sister who is a nun would tell you this as would any priest, minister, nun, monk, or rabbi who are TRUE to the belief in the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob.

Ahimsa,
Vlad
Ya know Vlad, you are right about my sister. I have discussed this with her, and you said it! She has told me the exact thing! You are both right. God is our judge. The gentleman in question innocently assumed he was doing the right thing, and I won't judge him, or hold him responsible. Thanks, Vlad! Discussion of Truth is always welcome with me, my friend!

I learned a simple lesson. My sister told me not to take it personally, as there are many beliefs and levels of those beliefs. And that I am correct in, that I do not want to offend. I can be a little too comfortable in situations sometimes. The gentleman told me recently that he felt he might have been rather harsh, and hoped I didn't take it wrong. I said I fully understood. And, I didn't. I just had to really look at what I am doing.

There are people in that group that LOVE sleight of hand, and I'm gonna bring my Okito box next! LOL! It just kinda makes ya think, when people are shocked at magic. I guess the real truth of the matter is, I must be pretty good at it, if they think it's real! Ha! LOL!

Best,
Doug
Woo Wee,
I would approach the table and ASK them if they would like to see a trick or some sleight of illusions. They can say no and you move on they would have not seen any tricks to offend them.
I usually tell folks one of two things...I introduce myself as the house magician and ask them if they would like to have a magic moment...(if you're on a date, magic moments are great...)

If they don't want it they tell me no and I thank them and wish them a nice evening. You don't want to force yourself on anyone at a restaurant. I've had them turn me away only to later have me come over when they saw other adults having a good time.

As for churches, having worked in them doing magic since 1982, 98% were pentecostal, very conservative, and they didn't have a problem with what I do. It's all in the presentation
It amazaes me that there are many magicians, not Christian, that want to be seen as 'real'. If you have seen these contact lenses that are about to come out, I think they called Biokenesis, guys are very excited in that they can change their eye colour in a blink and be scary like they in a trance.... I guess from that point of view as a laymnan you can understand some of the feelings they have about magic.
[quote]
I guess from that point of view as a laymnan you can understand some of the feelings they have about magic.
[/quote]

Not really. There's very few people that know how a cell phone, or a microwave, or even their car really works - much less their computer, or RFID, or a compact flourescent light bulb. But we accept that as "technology" instead of "magic".

Yet they watch a simple magic trick (as I did before) and because they don't understand it's workings declare it "witchcraft" and you "evil". Very arrogant and totally lacking in enough humility to simply look at another person and say, "Wow! You're good! I have no idea how you did that."

"Witchcraft" and "magic" in the Bible was about dominating the will of another person, gaining control over them and bending them to your desires. Such as the girl who followed Paul - though she obviously had "powers", she also had masters!

I agree that it's a pretty good compliment to your skills that they don't immediately say "You palmed that card pretty good!" And to your presentation that it caught them up into a world where the impossible might just actually happen.

But a "real witch" spending his time begging for tips in a restaraunt or on a street corner doing card and rope tricks?? Absurd!! To anyone who thinks deeper than their superstitions, of course.

Ed
There are people in my own church, who know me and know the life I live and who have attended Bible study groups I've led and been out in public, witnessing with me who, when they see me performing magic, either at an official gig or casually for kids and people who request it; grab their children and run in another direction like I was Jack The Ripper!

I've explained to those who know me, (never in a professional setting like a restaurant), that what I do is NOT the Biblical definition of witchcraft; but actually utilizes the laws of physics that were put into being by God when He created this world. I've managed to turn ONE Pastor around who thought that way and that is because he actually sat and watched my entire show for an AWANA event. He admitted after the fact that he was looking for anything by which he could criticize and tear me down. When he found none, he was convicted and has since been convinced that not only is what I do not even remotely evil; but a successful and legitimate tool in witnessing to the unconverted and for teaching Biblical principals to all ages. I know he's telling the truth because he put his money where his mouth was.

I used to call myself a "Christian Illusionist." I rarely do anymore. I am a magician who is a follower of Christ. I know that those who think it's evil and feel the need to rebuke me or hide their children will not see things for what they are and there will be no convincing them. So I don't try to explain myself anymore. I will not bend what I do and how I communicate it, verbally or otherwise, to attempt to appeal to - or at the very least, not offend - those who embrace an incorrect opinion about the performance art of magic and/or about the magicians who perform it.

Those are the same types of people who have told me over the years that I'm going to Hell for listening to Petra, (a Christian 'rock' band from the 70's and 80's). I've been told, "You can't play the Lord's music with the devil's instruments!" ...By people who go to church Sunday morning and, while the style of music is different, are being ministered to by people playing electric pianos and electric guitars and drum sets and electric bass guitars. They are comfortable in their self-righteous, hypocritical little box and believe their opinions are God's opinions and there is no changing their minds. Maybe I'm cranky now that I've reached "middle age"; but I just don't have the patience or energy to even try to explain myself to those types of people. I'm as polite as I can be when I have to be and I just go back to performing magic to the rest of the world. And if they are, in fact, blood-bought, repentant sinners who have been saved by Grace and end up spending eternity with Christ; won't they be surprised to see me and thousands of others entertaining our brothers and sisters in Heaven with sleight of hand?!
Bendy,

THANK YOU for such a SANE post. These people who judge you forget the very words of God, "Judge not, lest ye be judged."

Only GOD is our judge; only HIS judgement matters. When I encounter these people, I say to them, "I am working out my salvation with fear and trembling" as indeed we do. I tell them also that I am a sinner and like ALL of us, fall short of the glory of God.

Take heart my brother in Christ: these people are the exception, not the rule of Christianity, East or West. We pray for them as we pray for all children of our loving, MERCIFUL, God.

+In Christ,
Vlad
[quote]
On 2010-10-14 05:20, Vlad_77 wrote:
...as we pray for all children of our loving, MERCIFUL, God.
[/quote]

And, may I add, most AWESOME, ASTOUNDING, unbelievably POWERFUL, Most High, God! If one would just read about what is in outer space, the astonishing power of The Black Hole in space, or the distance of the farthest Quasar, And the Super Massive Black Hole powering our galaxy and other galaxies, this is a tiny glimpse of God's creation! Google them. "Black Hole", "Quasar", you'll see!

When praying to God, think about how great, how powerful...and of course loving and merciful. Oh, and patient! :)

Doug
I have found that many of these over the top zealots have a great many skeletons in their closet.
They are hyper religious for a reason.
They are quick to point at others, while masking their own dirty laundry.
[quote]
On 2010-10-04 18:30, DekEl wrote: Try sponge bunnies, perhaps?
[/quote]

Sponge bunnies are evil and from the devil. :bg:
I pastor a small church and prior to coming, always did "magic with a message". I've done it since I was in jr high school.

Once I came here, I started doing children's sermons before I started preaching, often using gospel magic (the adults loved it too!). One couple invited me over to their house to explain why what I was doing was evil. I researched extensively and wrote up a paper addressing their concerns. Unfortunately, to no avail.

I stopped doing the tricks out of respect for their convictions... eventually the couple left, and I'm back doing them again.

BTW, this was the only time in my entire career I've had objections to doing this. Kid gloves, my brother!
This stuff happens all the time!
Give it to God!
I'm not certain that we, even in Christian charity, are bound to kow tow to irrational beliefs.
It is always hard to be rebuked by another when you know that you are not doing anything wrong. You can receive 100 letters of recommendation, but the one that will pray on your mind is the negative one that thinks you are doing the work of the devil. As was said earlier in this post, you cannot please everyone.

I used to think that I could explain my view and my craft to them and they would understand. Not always!. There are those who have the attitude "Don't confuse me with the facts, I already know what I have chosen to believe". With someone like that you will be wasting your time trying to convince them of anything different. I know I was married to someone like that for 10 years. She was convinced that magic, especially Gospel magic, was a stepping stone into the occult. Eighteen years after our divorce she still feels the same way. Even though she knows how the effects are done.

The best way to deal with someone who writes and rebukes you, is to pray about it, then write them a "Christ-like" response. I suggest holding on to your reply for three days, and then read it again and make any changes you feel should be made before mailing it. In my reply letter I try my best to explain to them what I am doing and why I use illusions to illustrate the Gospel. Then I invite them to attend one of my programs (I have found that most letter writers have not seen my program but are responding to a poster or ad about my program coming to their church or religious organization) and if they still have problems or question after seeing my program I invite them backstage for an opportunity for me to answer their concerns.

In the mean time, take out those 100 letters of recommendation and re-read them... It helps!
I've just come on to this thread & I think Professorwhut has hit on something very true for many of the hard-liners. Over the 50 years I've been a Christian I've seen many of the most judgemental people come the most horrendous croppers, &, sadly, many have totally lost their faith. They do often have some pretty scary skeletons in their cupboards!

Something struck me recently that our theology & Christian life can be either like a wall or a hedge. Those whose theology is a series of bricks standing on & supporting each other can find it all falling down around them if one or more of their precious bricks (such as post-, pre- or amilennial rapture) proves to be faulty; the 'hedge theology' Christian has their roots deep in Jesus who trims & shapes the hedge through His Holy Spirit's work in their life. Our life in Jesus is a dynamic 'journey' as He moulds & refines us.

We all need to exercise discernment as to what is right & Scriptural, but none of us has the right to judge someone's standing in Christ nor their eternal future—that is what Jesus was saying in Matthew 7.

BTW I also agree with John Wells!
After an absence of many years I’m working my way back into magic, and I go to church with many of these quick-to-judge people. I’ve been slow to “pick up the wand” because I know their attitudes already.

A few got to see what can happen when “Santa Claus” talks about Jesus. (Even Santa Claus is a problem for some of them!) In a church setting, my ultimate goal is always an “altar call”, and some of the “die-hards” were seriously moved. God’s given me a gift of creating vivid word-pictures, and I’ve only recently learned how to put it into use. This year was a test; next year Santa’s going full steam!

But Santa only lasts a few months, and my intent is to move back into full-time magic. Because of those prevailing attitudes, I elected to place a “notice” on FaceBook

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000698364564&sk=notes#!/note.php?note_id=10150147373652738

where the vast majority of them would be able to read it. (To parallel the business world, this might be called “due diligence”.) It’s worded as carefully (but directly) as I know how, highlighted by a “statement of Faith”, because I know many of them will react simply out of concern for my well-being.

Many years ago, I was sitting in a Taco Bell with some friends and they asked me to show them some magic. I’d already done a three card monte, and was about to show them “Out to Lunch”, when a couple guys from another table came over to watch. I had one of them to initial the card and so forth. When I turned over the card, they both jumped back, and one of them shouted “Oh man! You’re in league with the devil!” They were very agitated, and left the restaurant immediately.

At the time, I thought it was funny. I don’t think so now, because I understand how powerful a belief system can be, even an incorrect one. I have been stupid in the past, and I’m probably not completely done being stupid about some things. That thought helps me cut a lot of slack for those who need it.

Anyway, I just wanted to thank all the above posters for letting me know I’m not the only one.

:angel:
When I first started learning this, I really had struggles of conscience, not because of other people, but because I didn't like the deceit.
I got into the habit of "accidentally" revealing the thumb tip in a way I felt was obviously deliberate. My thought was if they can see the one trick is fake maybe that will help with the rest.
I stopped doing that when people commented on how I messed up one trick but the rest were pretty good. Its true though, even though lots of people can really enjoy it and only a few people don't it is those who we focus on.

I don't worry about the deceit any more, they know it is only fake, but it can be wonderful.
I noticed someone said, we people get the wrong idea about what we do, but of course it doesn't help that we don't tell them. (I'm not saying that we should).