(Close Window)
Topic: Locking Talking Slates by Lebanon Circle
About a decade ago I have produced for my own use the "Locking Talking Slates". The idea was to let people properly hear the sound of the chalk (The Spirits) actually writing a message within the slates whilst a member of the party is holding the slates, and, I am standing away whilst the member of the party seperates the slates and read the message written by the Spirits without any interferance on my part.
I have kept The Locking Talking Slates as a secret for many years. In the past ten or so years I have only sold two sets to very close friends. However, I am very proud to announce that the Locking Talking Slates are now in production by Lebanon Circle and will be available for sale by Lebanon Circle very soon now.Why Lebanon Circle? simply because they are the best in producing such items as I am sure you all know. At the time I named the slates ABACUS SPIRITALIS. Many Bizarre Magicians and Mentalists asked me to re produce the slates but I kept the Slates a close guarded secret. Now that I have retired I am very pleased to release the Locking Talking Slates through Lebanon Circle knowing that the workmanship will be outstanding as all of Dan Baines products.
I am very excited about this and of course all of you that contacted me regarding the slates during the past years will now be able to purchase the Locking Talking Slates through Lebanon Circle.
With Dark Wishes
Roni
Oh Oh!
I sense an attack on my bank balance in the very near future.

I've been considering buying my first set of slates for about a week now.
this is timely indeed.

Any more info greatly appreciated

regards
Steve
Awesome! I am one who has heard about these and been interested in getting them! Glad to hear that Dan will be producing them.
Hi Steve

I'm actually working on them right now, Roni kindly passed his Acacus Spiritalis to me last year and over the last few weeks I've dissected the design and revamped it with Roni's approval.

As you can expect they will be Victorian styled slates with an A4 chalk boardface on all 4 sides set in a aged mahogany frame. The BIG defining point about these slates is that they 'talk', so you actually hear and feel the chalk writing inside the slates once they are locked together. Not only this, the slates are programmable (without the need of a computer, the programmer is supplied) so you can add your own sounds to the spirit slates - whispering, scratching, knocking etc...

Pictures in about 2 weeks so watch this space....

Regards

Dan
That is excellent news. I actually own an original set of the ABACUS SPIRITALIS and love them. I use them often in recreations of seances. Sounds like I can finally get a backup! Great news guys!
I'm actually doing my very first seance on October 30th.

A little apprehensive. But not too bad.

The slates will have to be for seance number 2 I think.

Steve
Yep, sorry Steve, won't be ready for the 30th I'm afraid but for all of those who have been waiting all these years ABACUS SPIRITALIS is officially back in production!
No problem, Dan.
I think I've got my hands full as it is.

Just hope I can pull it off.

steve
Wow! This sounds great. You are producing some top quality stuff Dan! Any idea of the price point yet?
Not yet Wayne, still pricing up the prototype, but as a guide Roni's originals were about £500 I think but the LC ones won't be as expensive as this.

There is also an old ABACUS SPIRITALIS thread here for those interested...

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=230963&forum=14

Dan
I am very pleased to see the interest generated by the release of one of my very convincing Spirit effects ABACUS SPIRITALIS. When you purchase the Spirit Slates you will have one of the best items created for Seance, Bizarre and Mentalism.
I also know that Dan (Lebanon Circle)will do a great and authentic job producing them. It took me a decade to agree on the release of the Spirit Slates and I know you will be delighted with them.
All the very best
Roni
Any update on this? I can't wait to see the pictures.
About another 2 weeks Wayne, I'm just waiting on a last minute aesthetic 'cherry on the cake'.

I will also showcase them at Tabula Mentis in November so folk can get their hands on them, I also believe Roni will perform with them...
Ive seen Roni perform with these twice, once at Tabula Mentis in Novemner 2008 and last year at his magic circle lecture. They really do enhance any spirit writing effect.

I tried to purchase a set after the November lecture but they were unavailable :o(, glad to see they are about to come back and via Dan which is double hurrah !!

Evie.
It took me some time to find a place in my heart to release my Locking Talking Slates. After seeing what Dan from Lebanon Circle is capable of making I have decided to ask Dan if he would be willing to manufecture my slates and he accepted. So not only that my Locking Talking Slates will be released soon but Dan managed to improve on my original slates and make them much more believable.
As a result I have released to Dan and through Dan to the buyers of the slates my unique routine whereby the "Spirits" helps the individual taking part to select a certain colour chalk and the chalk writing within the slates is of the same colour chalk chosen by the individual. This means that if your "Seater" chooses a Pink coloured chalk this chalk goes between the slates and indeed the "Spirit" message inside the slates appears in PINK! This is a very convincing routine and very original. Think of that:
They select the colour of the chalk with the help of the "Spirits". The Chalk goes amongst the slates. The "Spirits" are asked to write a message inside the closed slates. Everyone hears the message being written by the "Spirits" within the slates. When the Slates are opened by the seater (Not by you) The message within the slates is written in the same colur chalk that the seater have selected.
The "Spirits" are of course under your "Command" at all times.
Enjoy....
Roni
I. Need. These.

I have a feeling that in the right hands - You could bring an entire theatrical audience to tears.
What sort of approximate price range is being discussed
cheerz
Still pricing up the parts and build time so I'll have a price once the photos are up...
Gimmy gimmy gimmy gimmy................ Pleeeeease
I can promise you that it will not be long now...... :)
Cheers
Roni
Any news on these or even better, photo's
Tomorrow! Blackboard paint is just drying!
With bated breath I wait.
Well here you go then!

The pair of double sided spirit slates with chalk bag and slate stands (great for stage use)...

[img]http://i52.tinypic.com/a5hrlz.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i51.tinypic.com/zvqxia.jpg[/img]

Etched brass detail on all four sides...

[img]http://i51.tinypic.com/nwezk2.jpg[/img]

Etched brass name plate (I had some space on the etch pattern so you get a totally useless but very nice looking name plate!)...

[img]http://i55.tinypic.com/az8mx1.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i55.tinypic.com/2rejw90.jpg[/img]

Due to overwhelming demand for Dolly Darko and the Ectometron the slates will not be ready to ship until early 2011 but as with all of my effects I only make them in small batches (or waves). If anyone is interested in one of the first ten off the production line then e-mail me to reserve your copy.

Just to recap, the Abacus Spiritalis Slates are self working, no remote control is used and they are fully programmable for adding yur own sounds such as spirit voices, raps etc as well as the standard sound of writing chalk, no PC is required and the programmer unit is supplied. They will retail at £399.99.

A webpage will be up on the Lebanon Circle site shortly with more info and a demo video.

All the Beast!

Dan
Early 2011 is juuust fine Mr. Baines. Gives me plenty of time to save my pennies (US pennies, that is)

WOW. These leave me absolutely speechless.

There are really no words to describe the precise antique beauty with which you've captured late 19th century Spiritualism.

Congrats Lebanon Circle!
I think they look great Dan! Well one, can't wait to see the video!
Very elegant! How do you do fella.
Looks great!
Want to see the demo video too.
Five sets will be available in January, followed by five in February etc...

Glad you like them!
This looks beautiful. I'm looking forward to a review. Does the board look and feel like a real chalk board and does the writing look like real chalk? Can it be erased in a normal way?
They are real chalk boards and use real chalk so yes, it all looks very real (because it is!)
Looks great Dan!!!
Thanks Vic!

Something I forgot to add - The slates can be used twice!  Never seen before in the world of magic Abacus Spiritalis can be performed twice without a reset!

The performer presents two regal Victorian chalkboard slates which are shown to be blank on all four sides.  The spectator is then asked to randomly select a coloured chalk from a bag.  The initials of a deceased comrade are written on the boards, one letter on each board.  The boards are placed together with the chalk placed between the slates.  The performer requests that if the spirit of the deceased is present to please leave a message for us.  The spectator holds the slates and the eerie sound of slow writing on a blackboard emanates from the boards.  Other members of the group place their hands upon the slates and feel the vibrations as the chalk writes its ghostly message.  Once the sound has finished the slates are parted to reveal a message from the deceased.  The performer asks if they have another question for the spirit, they reply “yes!” and the effect is repeated…

Preorders being taken now, just e-mail me - 3 sets of the first run of 5 left, just e-mail me for details....
The slates are shouting quality. Those that saw me demonstrating my own slates of years gone by, will see the huge differance between the "Old" and Dan's slates.
To be honest sometimes I wish I had never agreed to put them on the market and I believe that it was because of the unique quality props that Lebanon Circle put out that I have agreed to re produce the "Locking Talking Slates".
Remember: you will recieve slates that not only deliver the "Shiver" when they can hear the "Spirits" writing the message with the same colour chalk the spectator chooses, you can immidiatly repeat the effect and get a second message written by the "Spirits" with a different coloured chalk if you so wish.
Although the Slates look and feel Victorian believe me they are 21st Century slates and of course they are hand made by Dan Baines of Lebanon Circle.
Cheers
Roni
Webpage and demo video will be up tomorrow!
Beautiful looking slates. Something to place on the "futures" list for sure.
Ok folks, page up and running with a quick demo vid........

http://www.lebanoncircle.co.uk/Abacus%20Spiritalis%20Spirit%20Slates.html

Regards

Dan
Incredibly exciting Dan! No posts on this threat measure up to actually seeing the video and hearing the chalk.

I am all in !

Vanity Wilde
Glad you like 'em! You get a few different chalk sounds, some short, some long just in case you plan on writing a novel on the slates!

You can also edit the delay between handing the slates to the spectator and the actual sound coming from them (and just to confirm, the sounds come fron the slates, nowhere else!)

Dan
Hi Dan,

Simply amazing work, my friend. Jaw-dropping.

Benny
Just a question and if it delves too deep - please feel free to PM.

Does the two sound bites have to be the same both times (assuming you repeat the routine for a second time for the same sitters)? Could it be chalk writing one time and possibly voices the second?

Thanks
Wow, just great Dan!
To answer your question Illusioneer, yes, it's the same sound file both times...
Ok, the first 5 sets have gone. I'm still taking reservations for February though - these are going to be popular!
They look excellent and look a good size too. Top stuff.
Religions have been started with less than these. Henry Slade must be smiling.
Reservations now being taken for the March batch -

Imagine asking the spirits to write a message and then knock twice on the the slates when they have finished - all possible!
This looks wonderful - I am saving up my pennies!
I understand from Dan (Lebanon Circle) that the slates are going fast. With Dan being a one man band the sooner you will put your order in the better.
All the very best
Roni
Dan,

Could you PM me with reservation/purchasing procedure? I understand you're taking reservations for March 2011 wave, correct?

Thank you!

Justin G
Hi Justin

Just e-mail me via my website on the contacts page, March has sold, so has April but I may be able to make more once the production line begins.

Regards

Dan
Just received mine from the first wave. Simply put, the slates are masterfully rendered, and work perfectly and easily. The sounds of the chalk scraping against the board is perfect. The DVD, while not containing performances, is complete and very clear on seemingly all aspects of setup, use and care, with suggestions of resources for slate effects. If talking slates are what you are looking for, you won't be disappointed in the slightest.

John
Just got mine as well. Watched the dvd and can't wait to start playing with them! Very nice. Between that and a new snake I have had a good day today. Now off to bed so I can play with these over the next couple of days.

Great job Dan!
Thanks everyone! The first 15 slates have been shipped and the reception has been overwhelming. The reserve list grows daily, as one of my customers said "If Rolls Royce made Spirit Slates they'd probably be like this!"

Thanks again!

Dan

Lebanon Circle
Hey Dan,
My interests tend to lean toward the darker side of our craft simply due to believability. I'm a graphic designer by trade, so I'm trained to understand the importance of how things look. When an audience sees a magician take out painted props with stenciled spray painted designs, they know they are about to see a magic show. No problem. Nothing wrong with that. But when witnesses see a mentalist, psychic, medium...take out relics that appear as fine as yours...they take a second look. Combined with a great performance, suddenly, these people are witness to an event, not a show. They are about to see an experiment that can quite possibly go very, very wrong. Your props exude that sense of despair...and I mean that as a compliment.

I've only just begun to visit this forum on the Café, and am discovering that it may turn out to be my favorite. I've already pumped many a disposable dollar into several other similar on-line sellers of spiritual wares, and am pleased (my wife will disagree here) to realize I have another remarkable source to dispose of more. In other words, I found your site here...it is mind-blowing...I will spend money...I will amaze people...non-professionally, but amaze them none-the-less.

Thank you for taking the time to care about your craft, and those who practice it.
Dan, those slates are beautiful. I will need to be opening my wallet again for the Lebanon Circle!

Wizard, then you'll also want to join Dan and the rest of the bizarre gang on the Bizarre Magick group on Facebook and don't forget the yellow board which is all bizarre and chock full of the dark side (run by Dan Mindo and David Parr!)
These are high on my list (once I have the money for them), incredible work which would be a highlight of my seance shows.
Dan,

Selfishly I don't want to sing the praises of you item - because I want to be the only who has it - but I know that in order for you to continue to create fantastic pieces like this - you need to continue to prosper. How about I tell everyone how great your spirit slates are you and then you discontinue making them - and sell them something else!

Seriously, the entire experience of working with Dan (who at times can be challenging to connect with) was top notch. The prop is both beautiful and brilliant, the packaging and attention to detail was first class. The craftmanship and the design is very impressive. And the DVD that comes with it is very comprehensive.

I will admit that when I order my slates - I thought they were expensive - now that I have them - I am wondering if there is a profit margin. Dan goes way beyond the call of duty. I am sure that I will be putting in a order for "Dolly Darko" in the very near future. Working with Dan and receiving his product was been nothing short of a real pleasure.

If you want to see the slates in action - come visit us at Intrigue Theater in Eureka Springs, AR at the Queen Anne Mansion. We Open June 10th.
http://www.intriguetheater.com
Dan, is not only a great friend, but is also a great and clever thinker! All his props are absolutely a beauty!
:)
Used this in it's first performance this past week for a hundred middle schoolers. The girl holding the slates was absolutely freaking out which in turn had the audience absolutely freaking out. It was great! She swore not only that she could hear the chalk but also feel it moving around as well...nice.
Thanks for the wonderful feedback everyone! To most it would seem that Lebanon Circle is taking a back seat with not much gossip on the forums and newsletters, the truth is that I'm so busy making slates and dolls that I've not even had chance to officially release Swami II and Crookes' Residual Ectometron (which have both sold out pre release!).

It's been great to hear that the performances are going well and may they continue!

Magically

Dan

Lebanon Circle
The slates are now retired, no further copies will appear from the LC studio BUT I do have something very interesting to take their place!
[quote]
On 2011-10-19 01:27, LebanonCircle wrote:
The slates are now retired, no further copies will appear from the LC studio BUT I do have something very interesting to take their place!
[/quote]

Can't wait to hear what that is! I have used the slates in several performances over the last few weeks and the reaction on stage when the volunteer hears and "feels" the writing is priceless...and it is contagious as the entire audience of sometimes several hundred get freaked out due to the volunteer's describing what is happening to them...

Good stuff. Glad to know I have one of the few...

Chad
It's a shame the slates are being discontinued but then it also makes them more exclusive for those that are using them.
Wow,I am glad I bought one!
[quote]
On 2011-10-23 10:12, maps wrote:
Wow,I am glad I bought one!
[/quote]
Me too. I was already proud and felt lucky, now I have one more reason !
D'oh! Ordered one, but it seems my notification got lost in the bowels of of my eamail account a few months back!! :( ( I am so used to waiting for my props I did not think to ask Dan) Well I am glad Dan was not stuck with it. Congrats to those lucky few!
I am also glad I bought them as they do well in my show. People always love the chalk scratching before seeing the actual writing. If I new they would be gone so soon I would have bought more.
For those who missed them the first time, a new improved set has just been released...

https://youtu.be/Jk-J91e8Drs

Available here...

https://www.lebanoncircle.co.uk/products/copy-of-abacus-spiritalis-spirit-slates-mini-edition

Darkly

Dan
Message: Posted by: Philemon Vanderbeck (Jul 11, 2018 03:01PM)
Sigh . . . by the time I save enough money to afford them, they'll be sold out. :-(
Oh that's so tempting!
Well I took the plunge, missed out the previous ones but looks like these are much better. Hoping I got one of the 1st 30 with the extra bonus effect being offered by Dan.....
Once the order is processed I'll get a coa number & know if I did, fingers crossed !
Does anyone have a set of the improved ones for sale. I missed out.
They're still in final production, supposed to be shipping some next week or so. You may have a awhile before anyone puts there's up on the 2nd hand market or wait til next year for batch 2.......
I have order a set of slates. Can’t wait to get them!
Message: Posted by: Philemon Vanderbeck (Nov 24, 2020 09:05AM)
You're going to love them.

My set is just waiting for the moment I can start doing séances for the public again.
I ordered a set of Ragged School Slates back in October and they are finally scheduled for delivery today (according to FedEx). I can't wait to freak out my wife. :)

Hopefully, by Summer, we'll be able to safely gather in groups and I'll have a chance to perform with these awesome props.

Mark
FedEx was mistaken (yesterday) and my slates are out for delivery today. This morning I received a document from Dan with links to videos that explain every detail of the V2 Ragged School Slates. One of the videos showed the build of the version 1 slates, I am pleased with the changes that have been made. If you are familiar with the details/features of Ghost in the Machine III, then you have an idea of what is changed for the V2 Ragged School Slates.

Mark
I would consider the change an upgrade. Still an awesome prop and your anticipation will be rewarded with many happy hours of experimenting/playing.