(Close Window)
Topic: Doug Henning?
Years ago during the Doug Henning TV specials I had them all on Beta. I also erased all of them years ago (foolish) and was wondering are these shows available for sale and does anyone know where they can be obtained.

Thanks,

Tony
What a fool. You could have been our hero and had them downloaded on DVD and made a fortune. I have not come across all episodes of his specials. Some you can download on Youtube, but they are poor copies and do not show complete shows.
[quote]
On 2010-10-08 19:49, mtpascoe wrote:
What a fool. You could have been our hero and had them downloaded on DVD and made a fortune. I have not come across all episodes of his specials. Some you can download on Youtube, but they are poor copies and do not show complete shows.
[/quote]

That would depend on if the could get the rights from the network the specials aired on, and/or the blessings of Henning's family. I don't believe you can sell any network's televisions series. Or specials without the consent of the network on which they aired.
Had them all, now I am looking to pay anything for them. I guess I needed the tapes back then.
Here's one...................;-)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-F5pR7Tj2qY&feature=grec_index
This was not his finest hour or even thirty seconds for that matter.
Whoa . . . tell me that was an SNL spoof . . . please!
Wish it was. Unfortunately, he did he rep a little harm. But those that have vivid memories of his tv specials and his live performances just look past that and remember the terrific performer that was Doug Henning.
You can get two of his DVD's on Amazon.com
Doug is going to be honoured by the Canadian Walk of Fame this weekend. The television broadcast of the ceremony will air on Wednesday, October 20 on CTV (Canadian network).

According to David Ben ([url=http://www.davidben.com/blog/Tricks_&_Tweets/Entries/2010/10/15_When_you_wish_upon_a_star.html]Tricks & Tweets[/url]), there will be a short video tribute which will include clips from the TV specials.
Apparently it is on at 9 pm tomorrow (Wed.) evening on Global TV of Canada.

Since many of us can not get the show here in the US, can someone record the Henning segment and put a link to it here?

Please & Thanks! ;)
Dodd Vickers posted the video earlier today: http://bit.ly/bxOIwE
Unfortunately, because we're lame-a_s_s Canadians, nobody felt it was important to invite any of Doug's family to the event.

IMHO, this renders the award disingenuous to the max.

Unbelievable.

http://www.thestar.com/news/article/877397--magician-s-family-vanishes-from-walk-of-fame-guest-list
I wonder why David Ben didn't contact any of the family. This is very unlike him, unless he has had some kind of negative dealings with them in the past. I just can't imagine this at all.
I'm not sure how much of his family remains; has a long-time friend of his I know that his father was a commercial airline pilot that died in a horrible airplane crash while Doug was still a kid.
He's got lots of family.......read the article.

If you're a friend of his, you know he's got sisters, a wife, nieces, nephews..........of course he's got family.
I think The Magic Castle might have them in their library. Not for sale, but they can be viewed if you're a member.
I have some great footage of Doug when he helped me with some PSA's back in the 80's. I taught him the $100 bill switch and he just could not get it on tape. Later that day he performed it flawlessly on Carson. I show some of these clips when I do my lectures. If I am scheduled to do a lecture at your club, let me know if you want me to bring it.
I have 7 Doug Henning Specials on DVD- converted from VHS - they are amazing! Great seeing Dough Again. Bill
THE magician responsible for brining magic back into American theater experience and tv reality. Unlike some magic magazine publishers opinions, Doug started it all back in 1976. Once heard a Hollywood Magic Castle veteran member say, as he was looking up at a Doug Henning Poster next to the Dining Room, "David Copperfield should thank Henning everyday for his career".
Mark Wilson paved the way for every magician who ever had a television special.
Wasn't it Copperfield who helped out Henning at the end of Doug's career?
Bill,

Of all people, you should know that Milbourne Christopher paved the way for USA magicains having TV specials. You CAN'T rewrite magic history.

Gerry
You are right. I should have mentioned Milbourne Christopher. If my information is correct, he had 3 syndicated television specials, starting in 1957.
Thanks Bill.

I know the younger guys don't this, which is why I think Christopher deserves the credit. Still, Mark Wilson did a lot for magic,

Thanks,

Gerry
Would you like to buy a verb?

"I know the younger guys don't this, "
Bill,

Got me on that one. :)

Gerry
Message: Posted by: Jonathan Townsend (Jul 17, 2011 12:52PM)
[quote]
On 2011-07-11 19:34, whall212 wrote:
I have 7 Doug Henning Specials on DVD- converted from VHS - they are amazing! Great seeing Dough Again. Bill
[/quote]

And?
Supply and Demand...
Every now and then I've seen them for sale on ebay as DVD's. I have no idea as to their quality or where they are originating from.

Frank
As far as I know, all of the Henning specials on DVD are illegal copies.
Bill,

That would not surprise me. I've suspected this from the way they are listed on ebay, so I haven't bought any of them.

Frank
Copyright volation is a volatile topic as most people seem to believe that intellectual property has no value. Let me simply mention that a screenwriting associate of mine who posted downloadable copies of Hollywood screenplays from produced movies on a free website, and who gained nothing financially, is now the sole defendant in a multimillion dollar lawsuit initiated by Fox Corporation.

I know, I know. That won't happen to a guy helping out a fellow magician.

Doug Henning was cool, though. He did bring magic back to life for a large part of the population.
To an entity that is based upon the sale of intellectual property, for example, the movie industry, giving away downloadable copies of their intellectual property with or without compensation is tantamount to giving away free wheel covers without paying the manufacturer for them. The difference is that IP is intangible and wheel covers are tangible. I'm suprised that a screenwriter would not know this.

Typically, cases like this are given lots of publicity, so nobody else will do it, then the offender settles out of court for a very small amount of damages.

It's estimated that the music industry alone loses about 50% of its royalty money to illegal copies.
While this is way off topic to the Doug Henning thread, I guess I should advise that the screenwriter case mentioned above was, unknown to me at the time, settled out of court on November 3. The settlement will remain undisclosed, but at the very least the writer has spent thousands of dollars in legal fees over the last several months. Her argument was that she was making legal "fair use" of the copyrighted material for educational purposes. It didn't fly.

Now ... back to all things magical.
I have been patiently waiting for years for someone who knows more people than I do to obtain rights and compile all of Doug Henning's specials into a DVD set. I guess we have to wait for the right "new" thing to become popular with the public so someone can realize there is LOTS of money to be made by having Doug's specials piggyback off of it. It seems there are very few original ideas in television right now and that networks are creating new versions of old specials in the hopes of gaining both new and old audiences. Unfortunately none of it is done very well. Hawaii Five-O is the last somewhat successful remake I can remember of late. Maybe the time is right to bring Doug back to life! I would love to see all those old 70's and 80's acts performing with him... Donnie and Marie, Shields and Yarnell... I can only dream.
Speaking of Henning and his NBC specials, I just posted a nostalgic shout-out to his second special and the vanishing elephant which aired 35 years ago today.

http://www.wildabouthoudini.com/2011/12/35-years-ago-today.html