(Close Window)
Topic: Ball & Vase with Sponge and Crocheted ball
I came across a Wood Ball & Vase, where one version uses a ball that is red sponge and the other crocheted. Anyone have one of these and have you used it in conjunction with a sponge ball, cup & ball or chop cup routine?
I've seen these. The trouble is that the size disparity between the gaffus and the ball is huge.
When the sponge ball is moist, it matches fine. In the photo of of the crocheted balls, there appears to be room for expansion as well.
Jazzy,

which photo are you referring to?

Craig
[quote]
On 2010-10-23 22:55, jazzy snazzy wrote:
When the sponge ball is moist, it matches fine. In the photo of of the crocheted balls, there appears to be room for expansion as well.
[/quote]

The photos do not tell the whole story. You have to SEE the prop and handle it.
Are you referring to the Cambodian model?
Sold by Meir Yedid ([i]at the bottom of the page[/i]) and others.

http://www.mymagic.com/mi/index.html

http://www.thetrickery.com/full/General-Sponge-Ball-And-Vase-2-Inch__6455.htm
Jazzy,

this is the one I saw.
http://magic4less.com/Merchant5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=M4L&Product_Code=ranball%26vase&Category_Code=

Bill,

it sounds like because of a size difference, you don't think these would play.
Hmmm. the style looks slightly different and I'm not familiar with the crochetted version. Mine is like Charlie Frye's...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8JA8ZgQm38
The difference is much more obvious with the crocheted ball. These are made by Khin of Cambodia.

With the sponge version, you have to take pains to make sure that the color is consistent.

I have the ping pong ball version. There is perfect consistency in those. The only trouble I had was that when I got the one I have, the international association that controls ping pong was changing its rules, and they decided to make 40mm the correct diameter of ball for tournament play. The old balls were 38mm. I needed extra balls, and the one that I had was a 38mm ball.

I looked for six months trying to find 38mm balls. I finally found several sets at Wal-Mart and at an old 5 & 10 store that had been in business for about 7 decades.
The color did require touch up with Doctor Martin's dye. The vase was re-sanded, especially inside, adding 3 coats of spar poly. Now it's good to go.

LawrenceO was working on ball vase material. Haven't seen his posts in a while.
I have some of these Khin ball vases, but I paid a lot more than the price listed in the link above. Like his cups, these came in different sizes. The one in the link is the small one. I toss the gaffs in a box and use mini pool balls in a Gallo routine. I like the Michael Skinner routine as well, I just don't like working with sponge balls in vases.

The Charlie Frye vase looks larger than the largest Khin vase I've seen. That's a great routine that Charlie has.

I've never seen a vase using a crocheted ball. It sounds interesting.
Jazzy,

did you touch up the real or the other to make it work?

For $5 it might be worth a gamble.
The other. It was a bit uneven.

Oh yes, worth it.
[quote]
On 2010-10-24 18:36, motown wrote:
Jazzy,

did you touch up the real or the other to make it work?

For $5 it might be worth a gamble.
[/quote]

Did you notice that he is out of them?
I've noticed that Erik Hansen makes Egg Cups (no shell) and can probably make one to accomodate any ball size.
[quote]
On 2010-10-24 20:52, funsway wrote:
I've noticed that Erik Hansen makes Egg Cups (no shell) and can probably make one to accomodate any ball size.
[/quote]

Very true. I have three of Eric's vases right now and two of them were custom made for me. In addition to the size, he will make them in your choice of exotic wood(s).
Bill,

what are you looking at that you can tell he's out of it.

Craig
The last time I logged in, right below the price, it said "Sorry, out of stock." Now it says "One available for immediate delivery."

Maybe someone decided not to buy it.
Message: Posted by: J.G. the magnificent (Nov 16, 2010 01:18PM)
Wow didn't know they made that. I was thinking of using a homade one for the cups at one time. Evidently decided against it but yes it would have great applications for many routines.
Message: Posted by: J.G. the magnificent (Feb 24, 2011 12:40PM)
I wonder if it would be possible to do crocheted ball in vase in conjuction with the cups and balls. Even have indian cups with each on containing a ball and vase on top.
I would love to see some more B&V routines, they are not out there on Youtube or anywhere else. Come on people, let's see some magic!
Slightly off this particular topic. I noticed that in the above links that crocheted sponge balls are offered. Has anyone ever used these, if so, whats your opinion on them?

Thanks!
Matt