(Close Window)
Topic: Magic Castle
Hey Everyone,
I am looking forward to joining the Magic Castle in January as a Non-Resident Magician Member. I am just looking to chat with any of you who may be Magician Members about how you like it, etc. Thanks!
When I was a member I really enjoyed it. But back then I was traveling to LA 2 times a year or more. Have toyed with the idea of rejoining, but since I really have no reason to visit LA except to go to the Castle, I probably won't. It really was a fun hangout but that also was when Bill Larsen ran it and Dai was still around. I am sure it is still a great place.
There will be a few of us from the UK performing there in January.
[quote]
On 2010-10-27 22:13, JimbosMagic wrote:
[/quote]
Ya wouldn't happen to be passing through North Carolina, now, would ya, Jimbo?
[quote]
On 2010-10-27 22:13, JimbosMagic wrote:
[/quote]
Define "few". Is there going to be a British invasion of this years you know what? Or is it just you and Kimmo? Looking forward to seeing you guys again.
Anyone else a member there or have been one in the past that can give me more information? THANKS!

Posted: Nov 8, 2010 4:02pm
Come on guys! I know there are more of you out there who have been members of the Magic Castle. How did you like it?
I like it just fine.
Father Photius could you go into details? I mean what do you like about it? Do you find it a good value, etc.?
You get the monthly news letter, access to the members only area of the castle website. You, of course don't have to pay the entry fee when you go there, and you get guest cards to had out to folks who want to go. Just being a member and never visiting really doesn't afford you much. Yet if you go, even only once a year of so, I'd say it is worth it.
Thanks for your input. That was helpful.
Though I'm not a Castle member, my wife and I got to go to the Castle for the first time this past summer. (Thanks to some friends from the Café who provided passes). It was one of those "lifelong dreams." To be honest, the way I learned about the Castle, as a young magician, was on Bill Bixby's "The Magician" television show. Ever since seeing the Castle weekly on that show, I wanted to go to that special place. So, needless to say, I was thrilled to get to go, to see the closeup, parlor, and stage performances, as well as have a nice meal. It was, literally, a childhood dream come true!

Anyway, I wish the Castle was close enough to make joining worthwhile for me.
That is a great story. I am glad you got to go. I am joining and I live in Boston, MA. It is worth while to me because I am getting a non-resident magician membership which has all of the same perks as a resident magician, it is just a lot less expensive.
Does Jeff McBride still frequent the Magic Castle often? Is Neil Patirck Harris on the admission comittee? Thanks!
?
Neil Patrick Harris is on the board. Jeff is at the castle from time to time, but he lives in Las Vegas and is much easier to find there.
Oh ok. Thanks!
Illusionist333:

You live in Boston, but are joining as a non-resident member? That's great! Curious about how often you might get to go . . .
I plan on going a minimum of 2 times per year, if not more often. I plan on bringing friends and family members with me when I go. Are you a member mralincoln?
I became a member in 2004. For the first 3 months, I was there at least 3 times a week and always on Sunday for the lecture. The biggest perks I found were the library and the lectures. Of course, seeing and hanging out with various performers is/was cool, but that was basic. The stuff I didn't really know about before joining, like the incredible library with hundreds, if not more, of books, pamphlets, lecture notes, videos etc available for you to look at (while at the castle, they no longer check stuff out as far as I know) was phenomenal and the lectures on Sunday.. only for magician members... well, can you imagine watching a set from say Aldo Colombini or Earl Nelson or (fill-in-the-blank) and then watch and learn as they go through each effect and break it all down for you?

If you know you will make at least one trip a year....and during that trip, go as often as you can, you'll not be sorry.

For the 'hustle and bustle' experience of a full-night plan on either a Thursday or Saturday but definitely think about the Sunday lectures. I think they have moved those from 1:00 to something else, check the site or call but know that nobody under 21 is admitted anywhere anytime except on Sunday for the brunch. The lecture is only for magician members. You can dress casually on Sunday but we would always leave by 5:00 before the crowd starting coming in in the nice clothes. (if some great session had come about and it was closer to 6/6:30, we would leave out the 'back door' by going downstairs and leaving via that exit which bypasses the front door entirely!)

Remember that you need to wear a suit or coat and tie. Women need to wear a nice dress or pants suit (think Suzie Ormann if a gal is curious). It's hard to say one could overdress for the castle though it doesn't need to get silly where you're in tails and women are in gowns that one would see at the Oscars!

Plan on valet parking at the Castle. You pull up, hand 'em the keys and go inside. Toss them a tip and you'll be glad. If you leave there, it's one thing to know where to park and walk, if not, just park there. The parking is only the tip unless that's changed.

It's a great place. I moved to Austin in 2006 but I still think we'll end up back there sometime.
Thumbslinger thank you for all the information. Most of what you said I already knew. The valet parking is $8 bucks for non members and $3 bucks for members. I look forward to January 1st, that's when I will start my membership. thumbslinger are you STILL a magician member??? Thanks!
If you are not going to be in LA at least once a year, I do not see the benefit to paying to be a "non-resident member". If you are either a SAM or IBM member, you can get in with dinner reservations if you do wind up in California one day,
DENISB I plan on going to LA atleast two times per year, per my previous post. When I go I will be traveling with several people, people who I will be able to get into the castle for free and will not be required to have a dinner reservation to get in. Even when you get in for free for being a SAM or IBM member you still must have a dinner reservation.
I've been a non-resident Castle member for a couple of years now. I joined when I was traveling frequently to L.A. on business, but I haven't been back for over a year. I'm still planning on keeping my membership active. It's good PR when people find out I'm a member, especially when they've already heard of it and how it's an "invitation only" club. Giving out passes to the Castle to excited friends and business acquaintances is a great perk and that ability alone is a good reason to support the club.
Dave V that is an excellent point!!
It is almost January...I am looking to the start of my new non-resident magician membership!
I'm thinking of trying to get a resident membership but not quite ready. Thanks for the tip on dinner reservations for members of SAM or IBM.
It's OFFICIAL! I am a non-resident MAGICIAN member of the world famous magic castle bestowed with all the privelages the magic castle has to offer! I am so excited. Already planning my first trip out!
Seems to be a very interesting place. I will visit their website.

Thanks for the info!

Best
Dom
Hey guys! I am going to be at the Magic Castle Feb. 9th through Feb. 12th. It is the first time I am going to be using my new non-resident magician membership. I am EXCITED! Any tips from the long time members? Thanks!!!
Message: Posted by: scottsheltonmagic (Jan 21, 2011 09:16PM)
As soon as you get there, find out the performing times and get in line EARLY for the ones you really want to see. Popular shows have a tendency to get sold out.
Good tip! I am leaving on Wednesday! Thanks!
Excitement!!!! I am leaving in less than 48 hours for the Magic Castle! I feel very happy and lucky to be a Magician Member! Any other tips anyone can give me? Thanks!
I had a fantastic time at the Castle. I was there from February 9th through the 12th. Amazing! The first night I was there was a new member reception! Good food, good drinks, good times! Chatted with David Regal, Tom Ogden and Milt Larsen. Had my picture taken with Milt. Nice guys! Spoke with Ice McDonald and saw him perform in the Palace. Great job! I was able to eat dinner there the next two nights. I got the beef wellington and the baked chicken. The last night was great too! Got the famous chilli. Overall a wonderful experience. I am so happy and honored to be a new Magician Member!

Eric
Anyone here on the Café forum been to the Castle lately like me?
Wait, Neil P. Harris is on the board of the Castle?! How did I not know this...?!

[quote]
On 2010-11-23 23:31, Father Photius wrote:
Neil Patrick Harris is on the board. Jeff is at the castle from time to time, but he lives in Las Vegas and is much easier to find there.
[/quote]
Yeah Neil Patrick Harris is on the Board of Directors.
I also spoke with and introduced myself to Jonathan Pendragon's brother. Nice guy!
Illusionist333,

I have been kicking around joining the Castle. My brother is an entertainer and has numerous magician friends who bring him to the Castle all the time. He lives out there and he goes more than most members. He teaches acting classes a lot of performers take his class thus all his invites. He calls me every time he is there I get so jealous most of the time I just hang up. He just got off a cruise ship gig with Tim Ellis and he will be going to see him at the IMX in vegas.
I'm glad you enjoyed your visit, sounds great.

Brian
Brian,
Cool. You should absolutely join. It is amazing.

Eric
[quote]
On 2011-02-22 12:25, illusionist333 wrote:
Anyone here on the Café forum been to the Castle lately like me?
[/quote]

I went for the first time a few weeks ago. Turns out Johnny Depp was there, but I didn't see him. Mark Haslam was in the Close-Up Gallery and was my favorite performer of the evening. The food was great, which surprised me after the reviews I read online. The bartender can make a good manhattan, too.

I have decided that I must audition to become a magician member when I return to L.A. in August for the school term. Being a law student and relatively new to magic (used to be more involved as a teenager), I find the thought of auditioning intimidating, but as a result, I have been putting in some great, focused practice. I bartend during my summer vacations, so I am looking forward to honing my routines on my patrons.
MasterGracey yeah when I went it was just after you. I also did hear that Johnny Depp was there celebrating his birthday in the Houdini Seance Room. What a great place to be a member at. I love it!
Best magical word phrase of all times...by David Williamson....
"Hocus Pocus Chicken Bone Showkus"
Hi all ..
I'm new here ..
Greetings ..
21tipas WELCOME!
I am looking forward to going back to the Magic Castle in the next few months. Is anyone going to the Academy of Magic Awards Show out in LA?
Anyone been out there lately? Are any of the gaffs working? For example the stool or table? Thanks!