(Close Window)
Topic: Coin Alchemy
I recently received some coin magic from a friend that passed away. I've cleaned up may of the coins he had in his collection and was able to idently most of it.
One item didn't recognize so I did get another friend to identify it as a vintage Coin Alchemy set he believes came from Sterling.
This set didn't come with instructions, I contacted Sterling (the site is still active) but never received a reply, do any of you have the original Sterling Coin Alchemy instructions?
Have you tried calling them? (530) 823-7077.
61, the original Sterling Coin Alchemy? I also have that set! My copper Kennedy Half was defective, so I was given the set for free. I have also lost the instructions. That gold Kennedy is beautiful! I think it came with four coins. Maybe five. One was a copper/silver, I think. But the Silver English Penny is also a work of art!

Doug
I have that set, but alas, I am in Arizona for the Winter, and the instructions are in Colorado. I should get back there for Christmas. If you send me a PM in mid-December I will remember and get you a copy of the instructions.

What I have in my coin box that I brought with me is the copper half, the silver English penny, and the gold half. Weren't the other coins a standard half and standard English penny? I may have a copper silver that was part of this set as well. Anyone know?

Sammy
That wouldn't be Alchemist's Dream would it? I have the instructions for that. It sounds like it might be similar or the same.
I think they are similiar, but I'm pretty sure mine was called Coin Alchemy and was made by Sterling. I have heard of Alchemist's Dream, but am not familiar with it.
Sammy J. is spot on. The set was made by Sterling. The set consists of the following:

Silver English Penny
Copper US Half Dollar
C/S coin
"Gold" US Half Dollar
Regular (copper English Penny)

You supply your own US half dollar.

The effect is VERY easy to do, and the set lends itself to a dizzying array of possibilities. This is definitely worth picking up just for the coins alone.

अहिंसा

Vlad
Alchemist Fantasy uses the same set of coins and is fairly inexpensive -- and is great except for the opening. Anyone getting either of these sets may wish to contact me for a better "lead in" to the effect.
Thanks, guys! 61magic and I really do need the original instructions. Funsway, can you help here, as well? A better "lead in"? I sent you a PM!

Doug
Thanks guys.
Sammy I will send you that PM.

Joe
I have the Sterling Coin Alchemy set at home - I'm pretty sure I have the instructions too. I can make you a PDF if you PM mw with your email addresss...

I never actually got into this routine much, but I do dig the way the coins look. Bought it so many years ago it seems.
The big weakness of the routine as written is that is requires you to pick up and put down the coins in an unnatural way.
Thanks everyone I did get the instructions from another Café member.
[quote]
On 2010-11-13 00:30, Kevin Gardner wrote:
The big weakness of the routine as written is that is requires you to pick up and put down the coins in an unnatural way.
[/quote]

Agreed- I thought the routine sucked when I got it many years ago. Maybe Vlad digs it but I thought that the coins were the coolest aspect of Alchemy.
Saysold1, thank you for the instructions! I appreciate it greatly! :)

Doug
Isn't this still available, new? The Sterling version? I have been tempted to get it based on the description, but I've seen reviews here on the Café where it was stated the plating wears off of the coins. I suppose one could make their own set if they new where to have coins plated.
I saw that Hank Lee's shows they still have it and one other place when I Googled it
Guys, even though Hank Lee's web site says he has it he ships the Tango version.
This is one of the many cases of Hank Lee's web site not really telling you what you will receive and he will never advise you a substitue will be made.
This is the exact reason I've quit doing business with Hank Lee.
As for the Sterling items I can't find anyone selling them any more and they don't answer e-mails.
The concept behind the routine is excellent and very deceptive. Yes some of the moves are kind of corny but this is not a drawback for I had no problem substituting other well known sleights or more natural moves to make the routine very natural and fluent. Actually part of the routine's first phase can be done in the spectator's hand supplying a very disturbing deception.

The plot is great and the props supply a very surprising effect. Just use a bit of your magical culture to expand the guideline of the instruction (including on the stacking and turning over of the three coins in your hand).

Worth buying and worth working on with an open mind.
Great support, Etienne! I have found that when the idea of alchemy isintroduced most spectators expect or will allow for silly and corny things, and that it is an advantage for the floow to appear different from other coin effects -- the idea being that it is NOT a coin effect -- just pieces of metal with which teh audience is familiar.

Since I begin with a spectator selecting and handing me each of the coins there are other options. I "borrow" one copper coin from the tray of dozens and toss it into a mortar and grind it up, make a pass with my magic stone and change it into a lump of silver. Then I justify the stack of coins as necessary to impress the image during the transformation, noting that in these modern times pure silver is not accepted in trade at the local market. This is also true of the large gold coin at the end -- so I fetch it back from being passed around, change it into four Gold Dollars (Sacajewia) and sometimes shift to Coin Squeeze or Roth's Chink-a-Chink.
Okay, I will revive this post just to say that I bought a new set of Foreign Exchange from Sasco. Same coins. The "copper" half looks too green, but the "silver" EP and "gold" half look nice. Same set, different routine than Alchemist's Fantasy, or Coin Alchemy as it was also sold. The Foreign Exchange is a bit different routine. Not sure which is best because I don't have the Alchemist's Fantasy routine. I did find a youtube video though so I think I can figure it out. I think Sasco still sells this set.
I also am in need of the coin alchemy or the alchemist's phantasy instruction set. I unpacked some magic I had in storage for years and came across the alchemist's phantasy coin set by hampton ridge magic creations and the instructions are missing and I can't remember how to perform the trick it has been years. I have looked for days and haven't had any luck and any help would be appreciated.
[quote]
On 2011-05-13 20:14, hayabusafan wrote:
I also am in need of the coin alchemy or the alchemist's phantasy instruction set. I unpacked some magic I had in storage for years and came across the alchemist's phantasy coin set by hampton ridge magic creations and the instructions are missing and I can't remember how to perform the trick it has been years. I have looked for days and haven't had any luck and any help would be appreciated.
[/quote]

Just PM me and provide your email address ...and I will be happy to send the instructions to you.

BTW I am thinking of selling my set so if anyone is interested just let me know. One my my coins looks like it's fading a tad :)

BRETT
The Sasco set is okay but the copper half is very hard to tell that it is copper, the gold half had the same issue. The C/S coin was terrible and shabbily put together.

Nonetheless, a wonderful and very magical effect and a great concept. I had bought both the copper and gold half individually that looked much better than the ones in the set. The C/S coin I use was made by Roy Kueppers.

To reference the Hank Lee version: a friend told me that he sells the Sasco Foreign Exchange set.
I'm ready to sell my set - PM if interested. I put mine in the sale section last week but nobody grabbed it yet. The copper half dollar needs re-plating but the others looks gorgeous. Shouldn't be too tough.
I also have the hampton ridge set with a handmade switch bag for the ending but have completely forgotten how to set it up??? Can anyone help me on this as thinking of using a blood bottle as a spooky catalyst for the changes (blood of an alchemist etc)

Any help appreciated as can't work out how to set them up?
I never heard of the Hampton ridge set. I also have the coin alchemy set if anyone is looking for one.
I FOUND IT in CANADA!

https://vanishingrabbit.com/coins-money-magic/coin-alchemy-sterling-magic/

I just bought the origin Sterling Coin Alchemy. I had this given to me by Zeezo the Clown (in street clothes at the convention) in Colorado when I was there in 1985 in the US Navy and attended a Magician's convention. I'm 60 now and my old magic was lost and now I'm rebuilding my collection. This was one of the coolest tricks and I added comedy to it to get over the quirky moves that Zeezo taught me.

Hope this helps everyone.

DJ Peter B
As I noted earlier, this is a great effect and open to improved presentation and story lines.

The ad saying "so sleights" is wrong, of course, as the sleights involved are incredible and usable in other effects,
but they are easily mastered and covered by normal actions. (no knuckle-busters)

I stand ready to assist anyone getting this or one of the other versions - ken@eversway.com
[quote]On Jan 17, 2021, PeteTheMagicDude wrote:
I FOUND IT in CANADA!...
DJ Peter B [/quote]

Out of curiosity do the instructions you have still mention Steve Dawson?