(Close Window)
Topic: Which Newspaper Tear Should I Perform?
[b]Newspaper Tears I have known or Which Newspaper Tear to Perform?[/b]

I posted a subject concerning The Famous Razor Blade Trick some time ago, it got good response from the members, so I thought I would continue with the Classic Newspaper Tear. Not many magicians do a newspaper tear, so maybe this will help someone considering this trick and decide on a version to add to their shows. They are not listed in any special order.

1.) [b]Alan Shaxon Newspaper Tear[/b] – published in his lecture notes, and on page 4, in his book “Practical Sorcery”, under the title “Tearing up the news” page 4, George Schlinder also publishes it in a manuscript he wrote with his presentation ideas. There was also a trik-a-tape video adding a liquid vanish and production to the newspaper tear. This uses a tabloid size newspaper. The advantage to this newspaper tear is that the final flash restoration does not have all the fold marks as in many other newspaper tears. The prepared newspaper can be used for several performances if desired, and you have extra duplicate newspapers. This tear is similar to the Elmsley Newspaper Tear, but there is no gluing of a packet.

2.) [b]Pat Page 10 Second Newspaper Tear[/b] – published in a manuscript form Magic Inc. It is also on a video of Pat Page Stage Magic. It has been published in Trik-a-Tape audiocassette. This uses a tabloid size newspaper. The advantage of this newspaper tear is that there is no fold crease marks and it only takes 10 seconds to prepare. Sort of a really simple preparation for performing the Shaxon and Elmsley tears. Not exactly, but it has some of the same mythology in the presentation. This also has a flash restoration. Reasonably priced.

3.) [b]Al Koran Newspaper Tear[/b] – published in the Ganson Manipulation series book. This is the version the Anderson newspaper tear got the idea for the flash restoration.

4.) [b]Al Baker Newspaper Tear[/b] – This is a single sheet torn and restored newspaper, similar to the Slydini newspaper Tear.

5.) [b]Alex Elmsley Newspaper Tear[/b] – Published in his book The Collected Works of Alex Elmsley Vol. 1., page 157, and was published in a separate manuscript years ago and sold by Tannen Magic. Also published in the book “The Uncanny Scott” by Ron Wilson, page 135, under the title “Slow-Motion Newspaper” Tear, he leaves out a fold that makes the opening easier when compared to the original. This is a torn and restored newspaper in tabloid size as well. This effect can be presented as a flash restoration; the books suggest that the section-by-section restoration is more magical. So try it both ways and decide for yourself.

6.) [b]Gene Anderson Newspaper Tear[/b] – Published in a manuscript by Magic Inc. and in their book “Newspaper Magic”. Video versions are on DVD from Stevens Magic. When this hit the magic scene it was hailed as the best in ever invented. Everyone was actually doing a newspaper tear and it was the Anderson Newspaper Tear. This can use a full size newspaper, but today, that size has been shrinking, but it still can be performed with the new sizes. Not much to say about this, as a trick it is near perfect. The late Johnny Brown from Texas published his method to do an immediate repeat of the trick. The only notable weaknesses is the final fold before the restoration and of course the lengthy preparation necessary. Many formats available , reasonably priced.

7.) [b]Slydini Newspaper Tear[/b] – Published in his book “The Magic of Slydini” page 201, originally published by Harry Stanley, London, England. L&L publication has republished this book with added notes. This is a single sheet newspaper tear, set-up similar to the Al Baker newspaper tear. There has been some discussion that this has a flash restoration, but according to the printed book, Slydini restored the sheet section by section. Tannen Magic sold the manuscript for years and I believe they still do.

8.) [b]Karroll Fox Newspaper Tear[/b] – Published by Magic Inc., in manuscript form with photographs on glossy sheets included. This is a single sheet newspaper tear. I would say that a jacket with a outside breast pocket is required to perform this Foxy Tear. It works and is simple to set up. Reasonably priced.

9.) [b]Neil Foster Center Tear[/b] – Published by Abbott Magic Co., with prepared tabloid newspapers. This is a single sheet tabloid size newspaper. The newspaper is folded in 4ths and the center torn away creating a diamond shape. The center torn into smaller pieces and inserted into the folded newspaper. The newspaper is opened and the center has returned or restored to its original position. I have performed this for over 40 years and it always gets gasps from the audience. Lance Burton featured this in his dove act. Marconic has published this in his hardbound book; the only difference I can see is he tore out a larger diamond shape. Can easily be constructed or you can purchase additional supplies from Abbott Magic. Reasonably priced.

10.) [b]Robert Baxt Better Newspaper Tear[/b] – Have no experience with this effect. Mixed reviews have been published on this effect. Super expensive.

11.) [b]Axel Hacklau’s Newsflash[/b] – looks great on his video at this sight. The latest big hot thing in the magic community, don’t own it so cannot comment if all the problems people are venting are accurate or not, seems they cannot convert the folds to the newer American shrinking newspaper sizes. Super expensive.

12.) [b]Foolzum Newspaper Tear[/b] – marketed by U.F. Grant years ago, never purchases so cannot comment of this single sheet torn and restored newspaper. Not currently on the market. If anyone has these instructions would like to have a copy.

13.) [b]Tony Stevens No Tear Torn and Restored Newspaper[/b] – marketed by Mark Mason. A simple solution to no preparation and an easy flash restoration. Takes the puzzlement out of the trick, like why is this guy tearing up a newspaper. Outside of that, it is a good effect.

14.) [b]Andrew Mayne Tear Down[/b] – Marketed by Andrew Mayne. Watch the video on his site and that is it. I think is not as good as other versions. Some like the signed feature, but I see it as, sign this sheet and I will tear up this sheet. Has a week point for ditching the pieces with a magic marker. Reasonably priced.

15.) [b]Joel Bauer Trade Show Torn and Restored Newspaper[/b] – don’t own it but many say it is the Elmsley Newspaper Tear, if I remember correctly. Most magicians that have it, really like this version.

16.) [b]Max Londono Ultimate Newspaper Tear by Tannen Magic[/b] – can’t believe this is still on the market, from the early 1980’s, comes with a wooden block with nails instead of a dress makers wheel, an interesting set up. Been so long, I forgot method and what I liked and didn’t like about it. Single sheet torn and restored newspaper.

17.) [b]Paul Potassy’s The Newspaper Tear[/b] – published in his book The Magic of Paul Potassy, page 99, and in his DVD set published by L&L Publication, and on the World’s Greatest Magic DVD on newspaper magic. This is with the comedy explaination as in the old torn and restored napkin trick. False explanation that leads the audience on a journey.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Magic Makers Inc. has put together a DVD of Torn and Restored Newspaper effects, I have to laugh at there not tear method, it should be called the vanishing paper clips trick, but if you cause the paper clips to fall to the floor will solve that notable error.
L&L Publications has put out a compilation of Torn and Restored Newspaper effects as well, as part of their World’s Greatest Magic collection.
The Torn and Restored Newspaper is a classic in magic and I believe every magician should use a version in their acts. It is always good to have some really funny lines read as articles in the newspaper, just as you begin tearing each section.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
During my writing this I found this blog on the Café: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=260207&forum=10&start=0
Well, that is the versions of this classic in magic I know about, if you have any others, please list and give any thoughts on the ones you are familiar with in your work.
Wmhegbli,

Very nice collection ! Thank you very much for this homework.

It's always difficult to choose a particular routine. With this list we all can now make a little pre-choice.

This might help me to find a version perfect for my show. It's not easy, since I always try to find a reason, why to present something and why to do something in certain way, like tearing up a newspaper, only to restore it a few moments later.

Thanks again.

Oliver.
What a great list! Thank you for putting it together. My favorite will always be the Slydini version. Mainly because Tony himself taught me a number of things at 2 different conventions back in the 70's. One of which was his critique of my handling of his newspaper tear. I was so nervous showing the legend himself HIS newspaper tear, you couldn't hear my patter over the paper shaking... His advice I take to heart to this day... "Slow down, relax and SMILE"

Thanks for this great list!
Hi wmhegbli. I think you're missing the Robert Harbin version ("The Demon Torn Newspaper") which is nifty, originally published in "Demon Magic" by Davenports, I saw it in "Early Harbin" (page 242).

Here he is performing it on video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rWcCuNYcrc

Contrary to some other posts I've seen on the Café, it doesn't have to be done sitting down. He's just sitting down to provide the motivation for tearing the newspaper - sitting on a crowded train. There may be another Harbin newspaper tear that requires a seated position, but this one definitely doesn't. This video looks to be performed using the "Demon Torn Newspaper" method. Of course, Harbin is so good that the exact method isn't clear... :)
Message: Posted by: SpellbinderEntertainment (Nov 9, 2010 11:21AM)
I really, really have been enchanted by the Andrew Mayne/Jim Steinmeyer “Tear Down”
it is surprising, very clean, fairly easy to master.

I’ve had fantastic reactions from audiences, and it was time tested over our six month run of the Magic Parlor.

http://itricks.com/store/2008/03/tear-down/

Yes the Gene Anderson is the top of the line, if you’re willing to put the time and energy into prep, but this is for me a close second.

Magically,
Walt
Bill, you are wrong on the weak point for Andrew's Tear down...This is one of the effects that I do and it blows them away. So don't under estimate it..
Terry, I would not say I am wrong, I just don't like having to hold a marker during the whole time it takes to tear the newspaper, then use the pen as a reason to ditch.

I also don't like, here sign this page, and I will fold it so you all can't see the page you marked and I will tear up this paper.

Sorry, I just don't like the motivation behind these 2 parts of the effect.

If you and other like it, that is fine, I don't. The reason I posted this is so magicians can pick what they do like and work with it.

Volto, I did forget Harbin Newspaper Tear, but the only reference I have is an out of print Harbin Book where he discribes his illusions. Way back then it was $100. It came with a contract that the owners could not reveal anything in the book for so many years, been so long I cannot remember the details.

If your references are currently available through dealers, then good, it is another offering of the effect.

Thanks for your comments so far, did I miss any other Newspaper Tears?
Message: Posted by: SpellbinderEntertainment (Nov 9, 2010 01:33PM)
The spectator did not sign the page when we performed.

The actor/magician said he was "awful with names" then jotted it on the paper himself to keep the spectator's “name in his mind.”

We did not use a marker either, we used an antique letter opener
(which also cut the paper) belonging to Mark Twain.

We thought far outside the box and it had a killer reaction.

Another two-cents,
Walt
Walt,
I have to give a plug for Axel's newspaper tear. It is superior to Gene Anderson's tear. It's faster, more natural, more flashy, more impressive, and superior in every other way to Gene's tear. Have you seen it?

Don't get me wrong, I've performed the Anderson newspaper tear for years and love it, but Axel's Newsflash is far better.

Okay, it is priced a little high, but that's fine for me, it means less magicians performing it! Also, there's a little fine-tuning to do with American-sized newspapers, I think, but that's a small issue.

Great post, Wmhegbli, thanks for your work!

Best Wishes!
Bill,

Another one to add would be :

Jarle Leirpoll's "The almost Ultimate Newspaper Trick" in his booklet called "Pocket Power".

It's based on Gene Anderson's Newspaper Tear and adds the "Water in News" effect in the beginning of the routine. He called it "the almost ulitmate...", since the perfect one for him would have been to pour water in a borrowed newspaper, tear it up, restore it and pour the water back out again. But until now he couldn't come up with his own version of Alan Shaxon routine with the natural moves and the method to suceed.

Oliver.
Wow! Thank you Bill! This is most valuable! I am saving this whole page as an IE file! Man, I have to get another Flash Drive! I have a bunch of these pages already! LOL!

Doug
I've found another one :

Fielding West's Torn & restored Newspaper : It's a single sheet version and appears in his DVD set "Fielding West's Comedy Magic Magic Show".

Oliver.
On the Harbin tear, the book I saw it in is in print and widely available. It's a two book set, available from many dealers, containing the books "Early Harbin" and "Harbincadabra". Two hardbound books; very good quality. The material is excellent; there are lots of laugh-out-loud clever methods in there. It's mostly stage/parlor, but there's a bit of close-up too.

"Early Harbin" contains the book "Demon Magic", which is also available second-hand.
Volto,

I've found those two books as set aswell on the internet. Quite expensive, even though it must be a big source of magic.

I've found Early Harbin on ebay, but I can't believe that it cost only £4.25 since it's an old book. Do you think it is the right one, since it doesn't give a lot of information to find out what's in there ?

Thanks.

Oliver.
Sounds suspicious. The books I have are a two-volume hardbound set in a slip case that retails for $120. You could pay four pounds just in postage for it; it's a heavy set.

That said, "Demon Magic" (the original book that's reprinted in "Early Harbin") looks like it's available on a few secondhand book sites very cheap; $10 or so. You have to be careful, since there's a Davenports catalog that is also titled "Demon Magic". Make sure it's "By Robert Harbin". Aside from the newspaper tear, "Demon Magic" has a bunch of inventive gaffed stage stuff.

But please be careful on auction sites...!
Thanks Volto for these details. Iahve to get one since I like Robert Harbin's version of the torn & restored Newspaper a lot.

Oliver.
I have combined the Robert Baxt version with the "No Tear". You just need to aquire two of the little gimmicks, make sure as powerful as possible. The newspaper is prepared as the Anderson fold.

You can tear this up into strips and then squares, and restore it immediately, just like the Anderson version without the lengthy setup.

PM me if you would like more information on how to set this up.
I've been doing Joel Bauer Trade Show Torn and Restored Newspaper for the last 15 years. It's worth it to find it.

Easy reset of the restoration gaff is why I like it.

Jamie Doyle
The Ron Wilson Newspaper Tear from the Uncanny Scot is one of my favorites.
After a lot of research on the Café, I went with the Gene Anderson... It's great to end up clean. Then I tried the Axel's tear and I think its better for me...

Lately I'm not having a adult shows, I think I'll stick with the Gene Anderson Tear for showmanship purposes in adult shows. "You remember this page, and you this one, etc." and in the end you can show them all.

For the kids show the Axel version is great, eye candy!

My dad has a lot of shows (kids shows)... a LOT, he performed the Joel Bauer version because of the quick reset.
As an interesting aside, in a personal, handwritten note from Robert Harbin that was included the copy of [i]Magic of Robert Harbin[/i] I purchased second-hand, Harbin write that his newspaper tear was "the best thing in the book."
Donal,

Where did you get the book from and how long ago did you buy it ?

Thanks.

Oliver.
I've tried almost all the versions out there, and in the past months the only version I do is Paula Paul's version. I guess this is what I'll use forever :)

Reset is about 10 seconds or less, no glue, no wire, no magnets, no scissors, and the good thing is that it has a one-hand flash restoration!
[quote]
On 2010-11-16 20:10, Oliver Ross wrote:
Donal,

Where did you get the book from and how long ago did you buy it ?

Thanks.

Oliver.
[/quote]

PM sent.
Thanks for this post.

I bought the No Tear version and used that for a while. I then saw Gene Anderson perform his gorgeous version. I pulled apart my No Tear prop and made my own version for family audiences that kind of combines the two.

I have a painted sign that says "Magic Show" hanging on stage. I tear it up and restore it to say "Applause." I have some sheet protector material on the back of the restored sign so I can re-use it. Short and sweet. I use the m****ts from the no tear to keep the packet together. I'm still tweaking it but it feels more organic for my type of show than a traditional newspaper effect.

-Daniel
Is there a demo of Paula Paul's version? I've heard the effect mentioned , but have never seen it performed.
Thanks
[quote]
On 2010-11-17 00:57, jskalon wrote:
Is there a demo of Paula Paul's version? I've heard the effect mentioned , but have never seen it performed.
Thanks
[/quote]

I believe there's none at the moment. I learned it from Paula's written instructions and from corresponding with her online.
I find this post interesting because I bought several newspapers yesterday to work on one version. In the April 1992 edition of MAGIC there is an article on "The Incessant Newspaper" by Jim Steinmeyer. I always intended to try this effect; however, I never got started for one reason or another. I will start working on it this afternoon. If anyone has improvements or suggestions for this version, please let me know.
I have always enjoyed Gene Anderson's classic version of this effect ever since seeing Doug Henning perform it live in the 1970's. Last month I caught Mark Mason's lecture tour when it stopped here in CT and now I'm a new "No-Tear" convert!

You start off with the pieces already torn but I'm not sure that anything's really lost there. It's the flash restoration that's a real eye-blinker. Here's a link with a clip of Mark doing it;

http://www.jbtv.co.uk/j-b-products/no-tear-torn-and-restored-newspaper-by-tony-stevens-90-54-154.php

What do you think Magi?
Misterjeffo,
There is several conflecting feelings on newspapers tears.

Some believe the trick should go full circle.
Some believe there should be no folding marks on the restored newspaper.
Some only like easy to prepare, and do not feel the effort is worth preperation time needed.
Some like the slow visible restoration of torn pieces.
Some like the flash restoration.
Some think it should be a logical handling and others do not, they think the audience does not notice discripencies in the handling of the newspaper.

I do know there is enough versions that everyone should be performing this classic in their repertoire.
I perform "Newsflash" and it always gets a hugh reaction. I love it!

Regards, Steve
Joel Bauer Trade Show Torn and Restored Newspaper is the Alan Shaxon Newspaper Tear. There is an added feature in the preparation that is mentioned.

Yes, we can add [b]Newsflash[/b] by Axel Hacklau to the list now.
What version doesn't suffer from the visible folds in the restored newspaper?
[quote]
On 2013-02-24 04:21, robvh wrote:
What version doesn't suffer from the visible folds in the restored newspaper?
[/quote]

Actually, to my way of thinking which is different then yours, the folds lines as you call them are actually creases, left from the restoration. They are there because that is where it was restored together. I guess you see it differently.

So the only paper tear you should do is Pat Page 10 Second Paper Tear. Of course you may not like the fold the newspaper company puts in the spine and middle in the packing process. I can't justify that either, as there is not reason to have creases in any newspaper.
You should see Paul Daniels do Andrew Mayne's AWESOME PRESENTATION
Bill, thanks for this list. Thanks also for everyone's comments. A great amount of information.
Just noticed Paula Paul is currently selling her Torn and Restored Newspaper in the Let's Make A Deal section of the Café. Limited available and only selling till the end of this month. If interested, I suggest you hurry. First come - first serve.
[quote]
On 2013-01-16 23:42, Bill Hegbli wrote:
Joel Bauer Trade Show Torn and Restored Newspaper is the Alan Shaxon Newspaper Tear.
[/quote]
That is my favorite one. At times I have several gigs to do in a row. I do not want to go thru a procedure of setting a gimmick with glue.

Richard Osterlind shows a method too on one of his DVDs.
My 2 favorites are the Gene Anderson tear and Andrew Maynes's "Tear down". For larger stage shows, I use the Anderson tear. for smaller
shows or close up, I use Tear down. I have seen the promo video for "Newsflash" and it looks great. I just have not justified the price in my mind yet. One cool advantage with tear down is you can do it impromptu. I have actually had a person go get a newspaper from the gift shop or lobby. They sign it and give it to me and I perform the tear and restore. It kills.
Mixman,

The justification of "Axel Hecklau's Newsflash" price is the fact that you can do it with every single newspaper available in the world. Everything is included so you can go out, buy some different newspapers and start working on it. It's not just like any DVD that teaches something and then you need to buy extra stuff to start the work of a new routine.

Me too, I thought first, wow that's expensif, but I don't regret any cent for what I've paid for.

Thank you Axel.

Oliver.
I am glad I found this list. Thank you for putting it together.
I have used a variety of those listed such as the Gene Anderson and the Robert Baxt as well as many others.
As I am doing more Stand up comedy magic, I am using the No-tear version. The idea of the paper already torn and then the flash restoration suits best for my presentation of picking up a bunch of newspaper clippings and telling one liners about the headlines. Such as " here is a story in the news about the website beautifulpeople.com has deleted the profile of over 30,000 members because they were deemed too ugly to participate. I don't know if this is true or not as I can't log on anymore. " by doing a bunch of jokes after picking up each page does not lead to the audience thinking that I am going to do a restore since I did not tear in front of them.
There is justification for each page and then after a bunch of jokes I unexpectedly restore the paper.
Easily resets and I have each joke written on each individual torn page to which I can pick and chose which jokes I will do at that performance.
I have heard Paula's tear mentioned here. It would be nice to see it in action. What tear can you compare it to?
Thanks
Jack
AH! I have a memory like a sieve! The answer as to what other paper tear Paula's resembled was answered in another thread - WHEN I ASKED THE QUESTION THE LAST TIME! better buy some Ginko Biloba.

(BTW - It's resembles Pat Page's tear)
I have done the Gene Anderson for years, and it took me some time to try Axel's Newsflash, but it was a smart move! I got much better reactions and it feels more natural as well.
Other wise I didn't see anyone mention the Richard Osterlind Version with a signed page.
I just realized as I was typing an suggestion in another forum on this subject, that I forgot Mike Caveney's Torn and Restored Newspaper in his book Comedy Magic.

He has a funny finale restoration with masking tape as I recall, then rolls up the newspaper and produces a burning candle from the newspaper tube.

Now that is magic!
Bill Hegbli:

If you like Mike Caveney's Torn and Restored Newspaper, you should see his toilet paper trick......I saw him do it first at The Faucett Ross MagicFest in 1983, and it was PHENOMENAL!!! (He did his arm juggling bit, too...and it was pretty cool!)

I talked to Mike about the toilet paper trick a couple of years ago at ABBOTT's, and he got a charge out of the fact that I loved that trick so much.....admitting to me that it was "one of my favorites, and frankly, best tricks, and that I'm delighted to hear that you like this so much...I don't hear much from Magicians about it".....
Yeah, I seen Mike Caveney at Abott's perform these tricks, I was totally fooled by his toilet paper trick. If you want of know about the rising toilet paper, it is published in his book "Wonders". That will set you back $255.00 though he promises to describe all his different versions, plus you get all his creative effects he has been doing for some time.
Any body have "U.F. Grant's FoolZum Newspaper Tear"? I have been looking for that one for some time.
Richard Osterlind's [b]signed[/b] torn and restored newspaper is grand.

Description from his Mind Mysteries series ( dvd volume #4 ):

[i]"Signed Torn and Restored Newspaper - This is the most guarded secret in this video series! Any page is selected from a newspaper and signed by a spectator. The paper is torn in half five times and then restored. The signed paper is then returned to the spectator to keep as a souvenir. What's more, the performer is totally clean at the effect's conclusion. This effect has been fooling the best minds in magic for over 15 years and is finally being released![/i]
Andrew Mayne has marketed his version of the [b]signed[/b] torn and restored newspaper as well. I think it resorts to the oldest dodge in magic to do the necessary.
I've been performing AM's Tear Down for some time now, but I'm thinking of picking up another tear that has a flash ending. Problem being that I work street shows and many back to back bookings. I'm really eyeing up Newsflash. Is it really worth the price, though?
Yehoshua a better version for a street version that is pretty angle proof, fast reset (yes reset!), and has a flash restoration is Joel Bauer's "Torn and Restored Newspaper". It was honed for a trade show environment and I have used it on the streets. It is quick and clean and easy to build.
Harry, thanks so much for the recommendation! I'm on the hunt now!
Johnny Brown had a two restore version of the Gene Anderson Tear in "Isn't it Good?" I used it on television in the Seventies on Loman and Barkley.
Paula Paul's Newspaper tear is needed to be listed on this forum. She put together a nice version for herself. Last I know she was selling it for $20.00, and has redesigned the printed instructions to include photographs.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Now we have the latest version by the Paul Harris company. [b]The Examiner by John Graham[/b] is a $100.00 version that uses a very small paper. I would not actually call it a newspaper tear, as it only uses one sheet and a very odd size paper at that. Kind of like the small ad sheets inserted in the Sunday Newspaper. The handling is questionable to my way of thinking, using a lot of controlling and folding behind the scenes.

They say, the guy put a lot of work into it, and from the demo video, I have to agree. Maybe to much work. The process alone looks labor intensive.
Here is one that has not been previously mentioned in this discussion:

[b]Antonio Romero's Torn & Restored Newspaper.[/b]

http://www.antonioromero.net/romeromagic.com/index.php?id_product=21&controller=product&id_lang=4

also available from here:

http://www.lybrary.com/the-torn-and-restored-newspaper-p-682433.html

[quote][i]"This routine incorporates a system that conceals the torn pieces automatically, eliminating all angle problems. This means it can be performed surrounded, and that makes it truly practical and easy to perform.

The video contains over 60 minutes of detailed instructions with all the secrets of this wonderful routine that has made its way into the repertoires of many professionals. It was created by Antonio Romero in 1983 and first published in his book La Magia de Antonio Romero in 1992."[/i][/quote]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_uzeAao4g0

[youtube]a_uzeAao4g0[/youtube]

I thought it would be interesting to compare the "flash" restoration phase of Gene Anderson's version to Antonio Romero's version to Axel Hecklau's version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSyPrBsUXFs

[youtube]MSyPrBsUXFs[/youtube]

To the average audience member viewing this effect all three of these are the same. What varies for the performer is the amount of set-up required and the moves required to get to this phase in the trick . Anderson's and Hecklau's can be performed with larger size broadsheet newspapers , but I've only seen Romero's done with the more compact "tabloid" size . Romero's might be adaptable to a larger size newspaper . I actually don't find the smaller tabloid size to be a problem as newspaper size in general continues to shrink and many of the commonly available free "community newspapers" or trade papers are the smaller tabloid size, so obtaining materials to make the trick is more or less no cost. (aside from a few items from a craft store or office supply store.)

[b]I would, as an MC, walk on stage and find a lot of pieces of paper on the floor, pick them all up and restore to a full untorn page.[/b] :dancing:
Pete, you are of course speaking of the [b]"No Tear Torn and Restored Newspaper"[/b] or the [b]"No Tear Version 2"[/b] from Mark Mason at JB Magic.

Sells for $25.00.
http://www.jbtvusa.com
There is also the No Tear Ulitimate No Tear Newspaper Tear Illusion by Magic Maker's. I like to call it the vanishing Paper Clip trick.

[youtube]JJuOEkiOpgA[/youtube]

The make [b]"The Torn and Restored Newspaper Illusion"[/b], which seems to be a collection of different methods.

[youtube]JWoHC6qwBss[/youtube]
There is also the Alex Elmsley paper tear which is one of the few that during the gradual restoration the paper continues to have "torn" edges until the final restoration. It's a little preparation heavy but it looks pretty good.
MagicJuggler, thanks for the comment, but Alex Elmsley's is listed on page on 1st initial post of mine. You might find something interesting that interest you.
I would like to perform the Slydini newspaper tear. I'm trying to learn it from his book "The Annotated Magic of Slydini" but I'm not understanding the prepararation of the paper.
[quote]On Aug 11, 2015, mtstic44 wrote:
I would like to perform the Slydini newspaper tear. I'm trying to learn it from his book "The Annotated Magic of Slydini" but I'm not understanding the prepararation of the paper. [/quote]

Then buy The Magical World of Slydini and The Best of Slydini 2 - 2 volume sets. More text from the master himself, not by someone else like Ganson or the person who made the annotates. More step by step pictures.

I don't understand, because you did not state what you are having a problem with. If it the whole assembly. Then just go back and study the text and study the pictures. I think they are self explanatory, that is just my opinion. Best you obtain another source, as your problem is to big for a forum.

Example, you wrote one run one sentence, and I have 5 sentences just to help you by making some suggestions.
Mtstic44 there is a great and easy to follow DVD on the Slydini Torn and Restored Newspaper. It is called "Sly News Tear" put out by Tony Clark.

http://www.tonyclarkmagic.com/magicshop/index.php?route=product/product&path=49&product_id=114

Nick Lewin also put out a nice version of the slow-motion torn and restored newspaper. It is also pretty much based on the Al Baker Torn and Restored newspaper (often called the Slydini T&R newspaper). It is worth the investment. Mr. Lewin calls his the 'Ultimate Slow-Motion Torn and Restored Newspaper".

http://www.lewinenterprises.net/ultimate-products.html

Either of these might prove easier than reading the descriptions and following the diagrams and photo's. I just reviewed the "The Magic World of Slydini" and found the description for making and using the prop fairly easy to follow. I also reviewed "Ganson's "The Magic of Slydini" and found the description to be a little less clear but still pretty easy to follow. I guess I'd have to know more about what your difficulties seem to be.
Thank you Mr.Murphy I will look into it.I am probably making it harder than it should be.
Thanks again
Allen
Allen/Mtstic44 take your time. Get a couple of stacks of old newspapers and a couple of glue sticks and work through the instructions. For practice papers don't even bother using duplicate pages. Just make them to be torn up and discarded. Once you've made the gaffed paper a few times it will become almost second nature. Like anything new it will feel awkward the first few times you try it. The end product of an amazing performance piece is well worth the work making the gaff/prop, and the rehearsal time to make it appear effortless.
[quote]On Nov 9, 2010, Bill Hegbli wrote:

12.) [b]Foolzum Newspaper Tear[/b] – marketed by U.F. Grant years ago, never purchases so cannot comment of this single sheet torn and restored newspaper. Not currently on the market. If anyone has these instructions would like to have a copy.

[/quote]

I had never seen the Grant "Foolzum" torn & restored newspaper , either , but have seen it mentioned from time to time on the Café , including in Bill's original post that started this long-running discussion of various versions of the torn & restored newspaper .

I finally came across it , and it is pretty much what I expected in terms of the method , although I was disappointed in the ending of the effect which is not a complete restoration. For completeness sake , I offer my thoughts on it based on the photocopied instruction sheet from Mak Magic (for all I know U.F. Grant's original version may have had more detailed instructions , but I don't know.) I greatly admire U.F. Grant as a creator of magical effects , but I think this is one of his weaker items.

-----

Here’s the dealer description of the [b]Foolzum Torn & Restored Newspaper[/b]:

http://www.magicinc.net/foolzumtornnewspaper.aspx

[quote][i]"You can pick up any paper and prepare this in about 20 seconds. No glue, gimmicks, sleights, or false moves. This overcomes the big weakness of all restorations, where the edges of the torn pieces are seen to even up. If you have tried all the others, here's the answer.

One hundred percent mystery! You receive the secret instructional sheet that describes all you need to know for making up and performing this great effect.

[b]A full size sheet of newspaper is handed for examination, and without adding anything, is openly and deliberately torn up. The rough edges of the paper are seen to get smooth, and on opening the paper out, it is restored. But, only half the paper is there. The other half falls to the floor.

The audience thinks they are the torn pieces. It is picked up, unrolled, and there is the completely restored other half of the paper. Wait! What's that sticking over the edge of the magician's palm? He reveals another paper, opens it out and it's restored.[/b]"[/i][/quote]

-----

Based on the instructions for the trick here are some clarifications of what actually happens during the performance:

1.) You start by tearing up a single full-size sheet of newspaper (a double-page sheet of newspaper). Note that before tearing it the sheet of newspaper may be examined (it is totally ungimmicked).

[img]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-a83BzZgfUnQ/VdTSOBkU3rI/AAAAAAAAKXc/x3QSj2VGglU/s400-Ic42/Foolzum%252520Newspaper%252520Tear%252520Start%252520and%252520Finish%252520copy.png[/img]

2.) The restoration described above as [i]“The rough edges of the paper are seen to get smooth, and on opening the paper out, it is restored.”[/i] is not really accurate. The words [i]“the rough edges of the paper are seen to get smooth”[/i] would lead you to believe it is an instant visual restoration from torn (rough) edges to restored smooth edges. Not really. I don’t know where they get that from.

3.) When the initial restoration happens only HALF (one page) of the full Double-page sheet of newspaper is restored …

[img]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-rPc-yvENy6g/VdTSOqLoT_I/AAAAAAAAKXo/QJzklgAzDqg/s300-Ic42/Half%252520of%252520newspaper%252520Foolzum.png[/img]

4.) Suddenly, a packet of folded up newspaper falls to the floor , with the implication being that the magician messed up and has accidentally dropped the concealed torn pages. The magician feigns embarrassment , wadding up the single restored sheet and throws it away. Then, the magician picks up the “torn pieces packet” on the floor and offers to magically restore the torn pieces … which he does , by opening out the paper and showing that instead of torn pieces it is a whole piece of newspaper, the missing half of the paper that was previously shown half restored (but keep in mind that the first restored half-piece has been wadded up and thrown off-stage ... or into a garbage can , or tossed into the magicians case , whatever the case may be … )

5.) Now at this point the magician is holding a restored half sheet (one page) of the original Double-page sheet of newspaper that was torn. Then another packet is seen sticking out from the magician’s hand … [i]uh-oh , has the clumsy magician been busted again?[/i] No (silly rubes! this is a trick for suckers) … this packet is opened up and is shown to be a whole single sheet of newspaper , not torn pieces . These two single sheets (two halves of a double-page of newspaper) may now be handed out for examination.

[img]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-tlpcX8bJFPI/VdTSOPyxvuI/AAAAAAAAKXY/EeZkphb_TKI/s400-Ic42/Foolzum%252520Newspaper%252520Tear%252520Start%252520and%252520Finish%252520copy2.png[/img]

In conclusion , [b]the great flaw in this presentation is that the double-page of newspaper is never fully restored to it’s original state.[/b]

Instead, through a convoluted series of actions that are intended to lead the audience into thinking that you messed up by accidentally dropping the torn pieces, you have ended up with two halves of the original double-page of newspaper “restored” … but then it seems to me that the logical conclusion of the trick demands that the magician restore those two halves into the original double-page of newspaper. That does not happen , so it feels like there is not a proper conclusion to this trick.

[img]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-QbLSreg2Xf8/VdTSOqWYk9I/AAAAAAAAKXs/4H2q__YxBzM/s400-Ic42/Foolzum%252520Newspaper%252520Tear%252520Start%252520and%252520Finish.png[/img]

Thank you David Todd for investigating this Newspaper Tear, I wondered why no magic dealers back in the 1960's carried it, when their shelves were full of U.F. Grant magic. For a time Daytona Magic had this listed, but their postage is just to high for a $2 instruction sheet. They don't list it any longer, unless after my inquiry a few years ago, they have decided to list again. I don't know have not looked.

That finale is definitely flawed, but as long as the working and handling is sound, then it may be useful in some performing situations, depending on the set up and angles of course.
Hi, Bill Hegbli,

Here’s another one to add to your list of Newspaper tears :

[b]Bill Goldman’s “No Tear” Torn & Restored Newspaper[/b]. You’ll have to search for it. It was published in Bill Goldman’s newsletter “Bill Goldman’s Magic Bar & Grill” issue #6 .

Here is Bill’s description:

[quote][i]“When my No-Tear version of the torn and restored newspaper reappeared sans permission in someone’s marketed effect , I was a bit disturbed. When I confronted the individual he assured me that he would give me credit in the manuscript. And I believed him ; I even liked him. Unfortunately, it never happened ; he subsequently sold the rights to a dealer and the credit fell through the cracks. It pains me to admit that I was motivated by anger [to come up with this new version] , but anger aside , I think that this is the ultimate routine and method. There are no clips, flaps, glue , tape , magnets, pulls, wire, etc. … AND in the end you can hand out the newspaper --- it’s ungimmicked !"[/i][/quote]

Bill Goldman’s version starts off with the comedy bit of reading off humorous gag headlines from various newspaper clippings that you pull out of your pockets one by one ... at the end you are holding a handful of individual pieces of newspaper and then the magician says: [i]“Put them all together and you know what you get ?"[/i] —- then the pieces instantly meld together into a full newspaper (this is a flash restoration similar to the Anderson version ) ... except for a single piece of newspaper which flutters to the floor ... which is then shown to perfectly match a torn hole in the restored newspaper, which may then be handed out to the audience as the magician says: [i]"On a good day , I can get them all."[/i] As he hands out the single piece and the newspaper he says: [i]“Here, you can work on the last piece."[/i]

The single un-restored piece and the restored newspaper that are handed out to the audience can be examined thoroughly . So this is different from the marketed version of “No Tear” which can’t be examined.

It’s worth searching for a copy of “Bill Goldman’s Magic Bar & Grill” issue #6 . Or ALL ten issues of the Magic Bar & Grill newsletters have been collected into a single book called “Magic Bar & Grill” by Bill Goldman . http://dennymagic.com/store/bar-and-grill-by-bill-goldman-book.html
[quote]On Aug 19, 2015, Bill Hegbli wrote:
Thank you David Todd for investigating this Newspaper Tear, I wondered why no magic dealers back in the 1960's carried it, when their shelves were full of U.F. Grant magic. For a time Daytona Magic had this listed, but their postage is just to high for a $2 instruction sheet. They don't list it any longer, unless after my inquiry a few years ago, they have decided to list again. I don't know have not looked.

That finale is definitely flawed, but as long as the working and handling is sound, then it may be useful in some performing situations, depending on the set up and angles of course. [/quote]

As I think about it , the "Foolzum" tear could be presented like this:

A single full size sheet of newspaper (double-spread) is torn into pieces and then restored . (in this case the restored piece is also a full size double-spread sheet of newspaper). Then a packet of newspaper drops to the floor, which causes the magician to be embarrassed, as he has apparently messed up and dropped the concealed duplicate packet of torn newspaper pieces … feigning chagrin the magician puts his foot over the packet of newspaper on the floor as if to hide it , then realizes there’s no use in trying to cover up this obvious mistake , and in disgust he wads up the “restored” newspaper and throws it off stage or into his case …. then trying to regain his composure he turns his attention to the packet of newspaper on the floor, saying something like: [i]“When this sort of thing happens the only solution is to use real magic …” [/i] as he picks up the torn pieces on the floor and gives them a shake to show that the pieces are now restored .

For myself, the only situation I can imagine using this is in a seemingly “impromptu” setting where there is a fire nearby …. a campfire in an outdoor setting or a fire in a fireplace indoors. When the magician acts like he has messed up and wads up the first “restored” newspaper in disgust , he tosses it into the fire (thereby disposing of the dirty little secret concealed in that newspaper) . Then regaining his composure he proceeds to restore the packet of supposedly torn pieces that were dropped on the floor. [b]With some good acting this could be effective.[/b] It could be prepared with a few minutes notice and a little privacy by using the classified ad section of a newspaper or some other section of the paper with a lot of text , but no photos or distinctive headlines , so that no one will notice that the restored paper at the end is not the same paper which was originally torn apart.

While we're at it , maybe this was mentioned previously (?) , but is the [b]Tenyo Newsworthy torn & restored newspaper[/b] basically a simplified, one-sheet version of the Gene Anderson version ? (at least the flash restoration part ...)

I notice at the end of the demo that the performer doesn't show the interior pages like with the Anderson version . Is this a limitation of the Tenyo version or did they just omit that from the demo for purposes of shortening the running time of the demo video ? Of course, because it's a one-sheet paper (one sheet , double-page) maybe that's why both sides are not shown ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eId0ibVuEFM

[youtube]eId0ibVuEFM[/youtube]

(why would anyone ever say [i]"Here is an ordinary newspaper" [/i] ? !! Well of course it is ... Why wouldn't it be ordinary ? .... unless somone were to plant in the audience's collective mind the idea that there is something other than an "ordinary" newspaper ... DUH .)

Recently I have been reading the book "Alan Shaxon - The Sophisticated Sorcerer" and among other things I'm impressed with how Shaxon is very careful to give credits and cite his influences. For example, in his account of the development of his Torn & Restored Newspaper , "Tearing Up the News" , Alan Shaxon mentions that his version incorporates ideas from Edward Hopkinson , Alex Elmsley, Patrick Page, and Ken Bowell.

See [url=https://tinyurl.com/Alan-Shaxon-influences]this scan[/url] from the book (with certain portions deleted to avoid exposure; those who know the trick and the other versions cited will have no trouble filling in the blanks)

David Todd, are you trying to imply something, as we all know and do, it is those that go before us gives us a foundation to build on. In the end, as it is all assembled, it is the Alan Shaxon version. I have all the versions, except Ken Bowell and Edward Hopkinson, and I have gone over them individually, and they do seem like a good assembly of the different versions. In fact it is more Pat Page then 10 Second Newspaper Tear mostly.

When Alan Shaxon added the "Drink Pour" to his T&R Newspaper, he and Pat Page made the Trick-A-Tape video together.

In my review of the book, I mentioned, and you should have found as you read, that the book reads like it was an unfinished work. They just found the manuscript and printed it as is. I am sure if Alan Shaxon could have been able to finish the book, it would have been very different. I don't think he was being "careful" at all, This was just the 1st unedited draft, in my opinion.

In a way, I like that the publishers did not add "their words" to the book, unless of course they would have interviewed Anne his wife.
[quote]"In my review of the book, I mentioned, and you should have found as you read, that the book reads like it was an unfinished work."[/quote]

Bill , I don't recall reading your review of the book. (I have now looked up your review of the book . I agree with you that it is a somewhat slim book for the original asking price and some of it does read as if it could have been expanded upon further ... I did not feel that way about the description of "Tearing Up the News" , which was the topic of my post. The description of Tearing Up the News is fine for anyone wanting to know how to perform it and the additional footnotes he adds to the history behind coming up with his version are what I was pointing out.)

I did not "imply" anything. I stated clearly that I appreciated Alan Shaxon's thorough crediting of those who had influenced his own version. To me that is being careful and I find it helpful to see the thinking behind how he developed his own version.

[quote]"I don't think he was being "careful" at all, This was just the 1st unedited draft, in my opinion."[/quote]

I suppose it could be that what we are reading are unedited 1st draft notes and that Mr. Shaxon had plans to further expand his description of "Tearing Up the News" (and other tricks in the book) , but sadly we will never know for sure. My comments were limited to "Tearing Up the News" , not a general review of the entire book.

Okay, just thought there was something you were trying to say without saying it.
So many different versions on the market, I use Axel's Hecklau newspaper tear, it's very good for stage perfomance
I also use Axel Hecklau's newspaper tear....more expensive than all of the others mentioned but it can be done with any paper and the set-up is easy. Years ago I used another tear, my memory doesn't recall exactly which one, but Axel's set-up probably takes one tenth of the time I'd spend on the other one.
My advice, get as many as you can, work out each one, and chose the one you like the best that fits your needs in preparation and performance ability for you.
Some newspaper tears make great closing tricks, some do not. Why?
[quote]On Dec 24, 2015, Pop Haydn wrote:
Some newspaper tears make great closing tricks, some do not. Why? [/quote]

I don't know, why?
Well, some have a quiet thoughtful ending, some have an applause cue built in and a sudden ending. That is one thing.
For me, Axel Hecklau's Newsflash is the best I have had the pleasure working with because you don't have to fumble with your fingers behind the newspaper.
I have almost all versions in the library. But...... Interestingly who is an inspirer of this idea. http://www.magikraft.com/coupons/

I would like to learn more in more detail about these versions - Karroll Fox Newspaper Tear,Max Londono Ultimate Newspaper Tear
Al Baker Newspaper Tear(give the reference to the page and the exact name)

Richard Mo - Newspaper Torn & Restored
Antonio Romero - Torn Restored Newspaper
Alan Shaxon - Cabaret Magic(two versions)
Nick Lewin - Ultimate Slow Motion Newspaper Tear(already mentioned)
I'm familiar with them all, including Baxt (which I'm not sure was discussed here). I use Mason's no-tear method. Why? When I'm done, I fold it up and put it in my case and it's ready for the next show. It may not have the impact that the others have (especially for magicians), but to the spectators all they remember is the BAM flash restoration of the paper. There are some funny bits with the torn paper at the beginning, and to me this isn't as strong as actually tearing the paper, but like I said, the last 3 seconds is the selling point of the whole trick.
For you Torn & Restored Newspaper fans like me:

Here's a little tip....for NICELY PAID corporate shows, and, better-yet....for TRADE SHOW and HOSPITALITY SUITE SHOWS.... it's worth your time looking into having newspaper "Front Pages" custom printed at your local printer just for that show with a headline that has something to do with that Company....IE: ABC COMPANY WINS NATIONAL AWARD, or something to that effect.

This one tip gets me high-dollar repeat bookings! The corporate "Big Guys" love seeing you "Pump" their brand this way, and to them......it's innovative marketing!
And...oh....by the way....Gene Anderson has a new book out!~

(hint hint)
Thank you) for your thoughts! This is valuable for business.
This is just for one page of the newspaper.It will be better!)

___But Anderson's method is inferior to many modern techniques.As Slidiny method. This is a good trick but .....
I will love this book!)
What is Gene's new book, and where can you get it?

I do not think Anderson's method is inferior to modern techniques. I still prefer it.

[youtube]TI6F9ng9pVQ[/youtube]
Pop, it is only sold on his website to my knowledge.

Title: [b]Gene Anderson The Book[/b]

http://geneanderson.com/thebook.html
As usual, I agree with Pop.

Gene Anderson's newspaper tear is the only one I use.....and it gets gasps from the audience.
[quote]On Sep 18, 2016, Pop Haydn wrote:
What is Gene's new book, and where can you get it?

I do not think Anderson's method is inferior to modern techniques. I still prefer it.

[youtube]TI6F9ng9pVQ[/youtube] [/quote]

I have both versions of the No Tear method (Tony Stevens' No Tear presented by Mark Mason and the Ultimate No Tear from Magic Makers) and like them both. I have no qualms about using either one. With the proper patter they work really well. However . . .

having just watched Pop perform Gene Anderson's version, I ordered it. And if I can eventually do it 1/2 as well, I will be tickled to death.

Mr. Haydn, sir, you are what performing magic is all about.
Thank you Rainboguy and Pop - this has been a great topic and appreciate soaking up everyone's ideas. I'm diving in to Anderson's version!
Thanks to the mention in this thread... I recently ordered Gene Anderson's new book and it is beyond excellent. Highly recommended!

I think the Steinmeyer Tear from Conjuring Anthology is often overlooked... I really like it for it's simplicity.

I think my favorite is Ron Wilson's handling in the Uncanny Scot book. Extremely clever and extremely clean!
I love Newsflash. I use the Tabloid version since it is very quick and easy to set up and you can easily find tabloid size newspapers for free.

[youtube]TICoVKjx1ZA[/youtube]
This new Tenyo version is great! I love it!

Magical Vintage Poster

https://youtu.be/AXSBAwq1IdI
[quote]On Jan 20, 2014, Bill Hegbli wrote:
Any body have "U.F. Grant's FoolZum Newspaper Tear"? I have been looking for that one for some time. [/quote]

I had this and it is no good. The concept of tearing just one page while keeping the rest intact is a good idea. The Osterlind version uses that principle with a much better routine. I also worked out a version that uses the Foolzum concept that is cleaner. But, I still prefer the Gene Anderson one. It gets the best response.
Angelo Please tell us more about this version, its strengths and weaknesses. I would like to do this with my poster.
It seems that this method is not new - but it looks amazing. Is there an inventor's name - this version? Thank you!
Can anyone give an overview of this trick? Thank you!
Hopefully Angelo can give a review. But he did say he loves it. I just ordered it last night. So I won’t have it until the next of the week.
Jimmy Joza
Did you get this trick?
Here is Alan Shaxon performing his version .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_GKiXv5YDw

[youtube]5_GKiXv5YDw[/youtube]
Actually, Alan Shaxon had two versions, one a Torn and Restored Newspaper, and then later marketed the Torn and Restored Newspaper with liquid vanish and after the restoration reproduced from the newspaper.
Thank you - I read that the version with the liquid was published in a video lecture?
Is it true?
Yes, it was on video tape.
Bill - you know the exact name of the cassette or the link to the sale. I have almost all the books and lectures of Alan. But I did not see this version of the trick. :online:
I would like to note I have a version of the newspaper - only 2 magicians in the world perform it. This version is very unique. Maybe someday I'll release this version - I can give private lesson - for those who love unique methods.
I paid about 500 dollars for this collectible VERSION + $ 250 for the instruction.
This is the most expensive version of the newspaper I worked with. But this is a true brilliant.
I believe I saved this trick from losing it. :readingbook:
Luis de Matos Has a very good presentation with the newspaper -if you are interested send me a PM - I will send you a link to the show. :happyxmas:
Does anyone perform the version of Robert Harbin in his act? One of the most interesting historical version. I think that someday I will perform it - in memory of the great master.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rWcCuNYcrc
1939!
Don't think this type of presentation would work in America. We don't have mass transit that many people can relate to. We are an automobile country.

I have his method he published in his famous out of print book of his plans, way back in the 1970's. It cost $100, boy that was a lot of money back then for a book.

The last time I rode on a packed with people mass transit bus, was in 1964. That was the year I bought my 1st 1960 Peugeot used car.
Bill- I send you PM - with the video - I want to give a new life with this idea! :)
Bill, you obviously haven't travelled very much. Mass transit exists and is used in all major cities of the usa. Even if they don't use it daily, anyone who has visited New York City or Chicago has most likely ridden the subway / El trains.

I love the Harbin routine but I love Steinmeyers routine even more!

You paid $100 for the harbin book back in the day? I paid $1,000 for mine!
Yes this is an expensive book! Full of ideas for great magic.
Someone tried to prepare a newspaper and work with it. Share your experience.
I don't want to use a subject of the bus or subway. It is excellent. :lover: but......
But it is necessary to give the new theatrical decision to this act.
Well that depends on your character... If your character lives or has traveled a lot in chicago, New York, London, etc... Riding a crowded train would be perfectly fitting. Actually... Reading a newspaper is more outdated than riding a subway! Ha.

But that's not to say there isn't room for many new and great ideas!
[quote]On Jan 4, 2018, thomasR wrote:
Bill, you obviously haven't travelled very much. Mass transit exists and is used in all major cities of the usa. Even if they don't use it daily, anyone who has visited New York City or Chicago has most likely ridden the subway / El trains.

I love the Harbin routine but I love Steinmeyers routine even more!

You paid $100 for the harbin book back in the day? I paid $1,000 for mine! [/quote]

Note were I live, if my audiences never experienced mass transit, they would not understand the acting being shown. There are more cities without mass transit, then with. The passenger train does not even come through Fort Wayne, strange for a city that has almost 500,000 people, if you want to take the train, you have to get a ride, 60 miles north to a tiny town without a train station, and the train stops on the tracks, and you clime on, just like in the old western movies.

ThomasR, maybe you should take some site seeing to see what the U.S. is really made up of.
This is the Gene Anderson tear with an ending by Billy McComb:

[youtube]ztam4wj3fKE[/youtube]