(Close Window)
Topic: What is the best trick or effect released this decade?
As we are on the cusp of closing out the decade, I am curious to know what was your favorite release during the past 10 years.
I am personally leaning towards the Mindreading Goose though there were certainly many other strong contenders.
Multi Dimensional
I agree with multi dimensional. That is a go to effect....
Tricycle.
I don't buy anywhere near as much magic (as in props) as I used to but thinking back, I can't think of ANY effect that has floated my boat since the Millennium - certainly nothing that I have killed for or put into any of my acts.

On the book front (my major love) I would have to give a massive thumbs up to Paul Gordon. He has produced a raft of excellent card material over the past 10 years. I judge written material by assessing how much I take from a book to actually practice then perform. Since the passing of my old friend Joe Riding, I think everything that I've added to my act has been Paul's.

Maybe I'm getting old and miserable; but most effects I see these days are simply old ideas regurgitated. Gone are the days of exclusive releases by Ken Brooke - magic items that actually got me excited!

As I type, I just thought of one gimmick - the Invisible Thread Reel.....but thinking back, I believe I got a couple from Keith Bennett in the late 90's - so these don't even qualify! :(
The ITR reel was invented in the 1950's and published in the Linking Ring. So it wouldn't even come close as the best of the pack!

I liked Tricycle from the get-go, because it is extremely surprising and it has very high impact. It will even work for multiple spectators at the same time. When I performed this for Father Cyprian four years ago, the look on his face was one of being absolutely dumbfounded! That was good enough for me.
Bill, is that the DGarcia item where you let them suddenly see something?
Yes, that's it. Danny Garcia and Luke Dancy put this out. I bought several of them, because it's a staple of my strolling work. (when I work!)

The nice thing about it is that you don't have to be circumspect at all about how you handle the gaff. I used to be almost furtive about the way I worked with it, but I decided to try various levels of boldness with it when I performed. Basically, nobody notices the gaff. When you perform the revelation, it "slaps them upside the head," as we say in Texas.

When I did this for Cyp, it was one of those moments where I felt good about really surprising him. Not so much about fooling him, mind you. The expression on his face was one of wonder.

[quote]
On 2011-01-02 18:00, Bill Palmer wrote:
The ITR reel was invented in the 1950's and published in the Linking Ring. So it wouldn't even come close as the best of the pack!
[/quote]
Actually, I made a mistake here. It was published in 1965 in the Linking Ring. Here is a link to more information:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=96462&forum=133
Message: Posted by: Jonathan Townsend (Jan 12, 2011 12:56PM)
What distinguishes the ITR from the Tornton Windlass and its ilk going back to Germain and before?
If you tried to pull IT with a Thorton windlass, it would snap the thread. The ITR described in the Linking Ring article was designed specifically for low breaking point thread, i.e. a single strand from a nylon stocking, as used by Bruno Hennig in what was later known as the Fred Kaps Floating and Dancing Cork.
Witches Almanac is my vote for effect of the decade

Fresh, unique, fun, intriguing, mysterious. Once you get a little familiar with the effect it does not even appear like a magic trick, it seems real IMO.
There has been a lot of interest in the rebirth of Stewart James' Sefalaljia this past decade- beginning with my plastic crate version from The Wizards' Journal #10, and then Tabman's magnificent reproduction in wood, along with a lot of in-between Astro Ball Cabinets that started with the ball in glass and then expanded into semi-Sefalaljia Cabinets by adding more effects and the same kind of expansion among owner of Dean's Box. As a result, there are a lot more haunted boxes of all types out there than there were at the beginning of the decade. It also demonstrates the truth of this forum; that everything old is new again.
Dean's box.
It's all so personal. Depends on what works for you. I would put forth "Extreme Burn" by Richard Sanders. It takes Patrick Page's routine to a new level.
I have had an amazing journey with this effect.

Just my opinion,
Sammy
[quote]
On 2011-01-18 10:10, Spellbinder wrote:
There has been a lot of interest in the rebirth of Stewart James' Sefalaljia this past decade- beginning with my plastic crate version from The Wizards' Journal #10, and then Tabman's magnificent reproduction in wood, along with a lot of in-between Astro Ball Cabinets that started with the ball in glass and then expanded into semi-Sefalaljia Cabinets by adding more effects and the same kind of expansion among owner of Dean's Box. As a result, there are a lot more haunted boxes of all types out there than there were at the beginning of the decade. It also demonstrates the truth of this forum; that everything old is new again.
[/quote]
I remember the Milson-Worth version of the ball in glass from the late 1970's.

Posted: Feb 2, 2011 6:41pm
One thing to bear in mind about the different manifestations of Sefalalgia, is that it's not a new trick. So it wasn't released this decade. Maybe dressed up a bit more nicely.
[quote]
On 2011-02-02 18:41, Bill Palmer wrote:
One thing to bear in mind about the different manifestations of Sefalalgia, is that it's not a new trick. So it wasn't released this decade. Maybe dressed up a bit more nicely.
[/quote]
If you're going to apply that criteria to the concept of "best trick or effect released this decade" you will have to eliminate every trick or effect that has been suggested so far, including your own Tricycle. They all have backgrounds into past decades and are merely evolutions of very old magic ideas.
The newer iterations of Sefalalgia bring very little to the table. They are simply variations on a principle. They are also very nicely done.

So, what is the most direct source for "Tricycle," which, by the way is NOT my "own." It's Danny Garcia's and Luke Dancy's.
Tricycle, really - a plain sight revelation like that has a precedent in magic? Okay, where?
Perhaps this will refresh your memories:
[img]http://www.magicnook.com/areview/NameoftheCard.jpg[/img]

Perhaps I should suggest this effect from my Dollar Store Magic series for combining magic marker with dry erase marker to bring this old saw back to the 21st century as the "best effect released this decade." Naaaah.

But then there are all those old oriental lettering effects. You guys really don't remember them?

When I said "your own Tricycle" I meant your choice for the coveted (or not so coveted) award that is the point of this thread.

I have no problem with Tricycle. It is a cute trick, but hardly something to make my socks drop off. My problem is with the criteria you seem so quick to apply to everyone else's nominations.
I'm not sure precisely what "criteria" you are referring to. I have only one criterion (singular of criteria). That is that it should be reasonably new.

This thing you are showing in the picture has absolutely NOTHING in common with Tricycle. In Tricycle, nothing is taken away.

I do remember all of those (or nearly all of those) oriental lettering things, including the neckties.

The biggest difference with Tricycle is that the card case is sitting there right in front of them and they don't notice that it doesn't say Bicycle. It uses a psychological phenomenon called accommodation to conceal the name of the card in plain sight.

But I'm not going to argue with you over this. You are far too thin-skinned to carry on a discussion without blowing up.

Maybe you are suffering from Sefalalgia, or more properly, cephalalgia.

Not to be condescending, but it means "headache." It's a medical term.

BTW, "condescending" means talking down to someone that you don't think is your intellectual equal.
I'm with the guy who started this thread, Mindreading Goose.
The same "psychological phenomenon called accommodation to conceal the name of the card in plain sight" is used in each instance mentioned. But you have your mind made up, so let's drop it. Enjoy your tricycle, and remember that Stewart James, Martin Gardner, Theo Annemann and I spell "Sefalaljia" with a "J."
Any Promystic effect! Craig's work is incredible!
Mindreading Goose.
[quote]
On 2011-02-17 17:43, markmiller wrote:
Mindreading Goose.
[/quote]
[quote]
On 2011-02-03 05:16, mumford wrote:
I'm with the guy who started this thread, Mindreading Goose.
[/quote]
Yep! That's what constitutes the best trick of the decade -- urine on command. The perfect ending to a perfect show.

What about for people who don't work in latrines?
"Maybe you are suffering from Sefalalgia, or more properly, cephalalgia.

Not to be condescending, but it means "headache." It's a medical term."

doctors -- at least those not trying to confuse people -- just call it a headache.
Come on, R.E. You are missing the whole point. Threads about the best trick of the decade are all subjective. The real point of this thread is to p*ss Spellbinder the Anonymous off. ;)

You should learn how to use the quote function.
Prohibition by Charlie Justice

Jeff
Derren Brown.

Kidding... :P

I dunno about the last 10 years but for me it's Osterlind's SSB.

I love that thing! :applause:
Paul Harris' Nightshades!
There is no "best" trick. A great trick performed by an inept performer will look like crap. But a great performer can take a trick most people think is sorry and turn it into a miracle.

A lot of it is subjective. Card tricks leave me cold.
I can tell you all what sold more then others, but that's not at all accurate as to what is a solid effect. Typically, what doesn't sell often are the hidden gems. Because, no one wants to blast in the Café how great their gem is. There were quite a few solid effects this last decade but it's whats best for you. Like Bill says: A great trick performed by an inept performer will look like crap, and the opposite is true. A great performer can take a weak trick, and through pure performance dazzle a crowd. Gaetan Bloom has released quite a few solid effects. I personally liked Intercessor.
[quote]
On 2011-06-30 19:32, Bill Palmer wrote:
There is no "best" trick. A great trick performed by an inept performer will look like crap. But a great performer can take a trick most people think is sorry and turn it into a miracle.

[/quote]
Yes, I agree to some extent. Yes, Scarne took something like: Do as I do and came up with Triple coincidence.
TRIO by Astor is pretty amazing, but mention of it seemed to cease a short while after its introduction...

Julie

(For the record, a notable application of this principle is discussed/illustrated in Ken Klosterman's Salon de Magie.)
Not new, but definitely amazing -- The Hooker Card Rise. I saw it performed in L.A. It looks like real magic. It's basically impossible. However, is it the best trick of the decade, or any other time period? I don't think so. For one thing, you can't carry it around. It has to be set up on a permanent basis.
What a treat you experienced Bill. I am so envious. This effect is absolutely legendary.
[quote]
On 2011-06-30 19:32, Bill Palmer wrote:

[/quote]

I've seen some mind-blowing performances of "slum magic," like the plastic ball vase, and plastic cups and balls, that blow people away.

The magician makes the magic.
I was performing at a hospitality suite for a company that makes paint products -- very high end paint products for aircraft. The adman who hired me for the suite decided to go to the local magic shop and purchase a large quantity of magicrap. Among the items were some ball vases.

I have a routine for the ball vase that I have never published. It's almost an improv. But it will blow the spectator's mind, especially if they have a ball vase.

If you know any of the variations on the 21 card trick, the burglars, etc., you can wipe out a kid with a passing knowledge of bad magic.
I realise that this thread was started in 2010 so the term 'this decade' now only refers to the first 7 months 2 days (at time of writing) of this year.

However, not necessarily the 'best trick' but certainly the best move that I've made over the past few months is rediscovering the wealth of material in Bobo. This was my Christmas present in 1979 (when I was 15, and yep, we only got one present years ago....unlike many kids today!) but I hadn't referred to it for a few years as my love of coin magic moved to cards.

Now I'm back practising coins, I truly can't believe the wealth of material and hidden gems within this book that I missed the first time around.
Just to add that if I had to pick the 'trick of THIS decade', then it would undoubtedly be the Tango Ultimate Coin (T.U.C.).

I've no doubt whatsoever that this will still be the case if I'm asked on 31st December 2019!
Is the TUC a trick or a tool? I feel that it is closer to a tool than a trick. It's capable of so much more than just one single application.
Good point actually Bill.

As for being capable of so many applications - jeez you aren't wrong there fella! It truly makes so many other coin gaffs completely redundant.

I've bought 2 currencies in TUC's - and together with the excellent download 'TUC Appreciation', I haven't put them down for weeks.
I have the TUC in Kennedy half and in Morgan dollar. I don't really do much with gaffed coins, but when I find a really good one, I like to have an example, and I like to play around with it. Ken Muller (Funsway) basically obsessed over that coin set for about a year or so!
Funsway made a book for magicians using the TUC and the number of handlings and effects in there is awesome (I had sent a few routines and Ken used only one).
The TUC is really an outstanding gaff and Mr Tango will never be thanked enough for this breakthrough in coin magic.
Bill What Year was the ITR published in the Linking Ring?
I don't have that issue here now. I put all of my Linking Rings from before 2000 in storage and now use the Ask Alexander database. It was sometime in the 1950's or early 1960's. It did not look at all like any of the ITR's you see now.

Bear in mind that James George did invent the ITR that he sells and that has been knocked off by so many people. However, it wasn't the first one. It may have been the first one to be marketed commercially, though. And let me add that James was completely unaware that anyone had EVER made anything like this before.

Here's the thread where I mention the actual issue of the Linking Ring. BTW, I was off by six years. It was in a Canadian Parade, and was invented by William Ewington.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=96462&forum=133

You will need to read all the way through the thread to get the information.
So much good stuff that become available, but one of my favorites is Deep Astonishment.

The Doctor
An interesting thread. Thanks for sharing all of your thoughts and comments but I'm still not sure as to which trick is the best one released this decade. I can say that I do like Prohibition by Charlie Justice because I have and use it from time to time.
I also think extreme burn is one of the best tricks of the decade. and the tuc trick or tool has changed shell magic for ever.i still love doing magic with a shell. but there are so many applications that can be done better and cleaner with the tuc coin.
todd
As far as the trick I enjoy most doing? [b]NUTTY SURPRISE[/b]
In my experience, VERY few effects are new....the "new" ones often tend to be "re-packaged", "re-marketed", or "improvements" either in material or technology to tricks or effects that have already been out there for a while.

In some cases, those "improvements" tend to be pretty darned spectacular.

A case in point is Pete Biro's and Joe Porper's AmazeRing. NOT a new trick, but rather, a SPECTACULAR improvement!

Having said that, I think that, in all due respect to all present and the tricks and effects that they market, Losander took an old, old trick to a whole NEW level when he made his version of The Floating Table widely available to magicians.

So, Losander's Floating Table gets my vote as The Trick of The Decade....and I don't even have one!

(But I sure WANT one!)
Notion of Motion by Angelo Carbone