(Close Window)
Topic: The Incredible Edible Egg
Message: Posted by: rpierce (Nov 13, 2010 11:33AM)
Does anyone remember this TV commercial, I think it was before youtube. A very pure sleight of hand production of an egg. I can't seem to find it and I would love to learn the moves if it is for sale somewhere.
Message: Posted by: mtpascoe (Nov 13, 2010 01:55PM)
Yeah, this was a great commercial. If I remember correctly, the magician did a series of hand washing, then produced an egg as the song bed over it said, "The incredible edible egg." I too always wanted to learn the moves. If it was on youtube, then you could slow it down and learn it.
Message: Posted by: Levent (Nov 13, 2010 05:09PM)
I could be wrong about this, but I believe it was Derek Dingle's hands that were filmed during this TV commercial.

Best regards,
Levent
http://www.LeventMagic.com
http://www.MagicQandA.com
Message: Posted by: rpierce (Nov 13, 2010 05:29PM)
Is he on the Café?
Message: Posted by: Anatole (Nov 13, 2010 06:11PM)
Derek Dingle passed away in 2004. You might be interested in finding the books _Dingle's Deceptions with Cards and Coins_ by Harry Loryane (1970) and _The Complete Works of Derek Dingle_ by Richard Kaufman (1982).

MagicPedia notes that TIME Magazine called Derek Dingle, "...the greatest card manipulator existant."

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
Message: Posted by: Bill Hegbli (Nov 13, 2010 10:48PM)
I believe that commerical was camera trickery, I studied the commerical for a while. One of the few commericals that actually got my attention.
Message: Posted by: mtpascoe (Nov 14, 2010 02:09AM)
I found the commercial on youtube. I guess I was wrong, it really wasn't a series of hand washing, just a wave of the hand over the palmed hand and voila... an egg. Here is the link http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2136951719227933844#

"The Incredible, Edible Egg" was the slogan used for the American Egg Board in 1977 by the advertising agency Campbell Mithun.
Message: Posted by: Bill Hegbli (Nov 14, 2010 02:54AM)
Although that is a commercial, it is not the one ran in our area of the country. The one that ran here was more like the daffy duck appearence of an egg in his cartoon. That commerical looks like it was older then the more magical one I remember. The one I remember was right after the announcement several years ago, that over 2 eggs a week is bad for you.
Message: Posted by: mtpascoe (Nov 14, 2010 01:30PM)
This was not a commercial, but more of campaign promoting the versatility of the egg. The original commercials all started off the same; the close up of the hand producing the egg, then the long shot of the actor or actress holding the egg as if they were the ones doing the magic. Then they went on to tell you the benefits of eating eggs, then ended with the close up of the hand again doing the magic with the jingle, "The incredible edible egg."

It's what's called a donut. That's where you have a beginning and an end and a place in the middle for a voice over or video to be inserted.

It would be nice to find one of those original commercials. At least this one has the production of the egg that became the staple to the campaign.
Message: Posted by: rpierce (Nov 14, 2010 05:36PM)
Thanks for the link - When only seeing it briefly without the ability to study it, my memory of it was cleaner. Not bad though
Message: Posted by: Tony Iacoviello (Nov 15, 2010 05:37PM)
That isn't the what ran in New England either.
Message: Posted by: Powermagic (Jan 17, 2013 01:02AM)
Link is no longer valid. Anyone have an updated link?
Message: Posted by: mtpascoe (Jan 17, 2013 01:53AM)
It's a shame. It took me a while to find it. Now I guess I might have to an egg hunt for it again.
Message: Posted by: mtpascoe (Jan 17, 2013 02:12AM)
[quote]
On 2010-11-14 14:30, mtpascoe wrote:
This was not a commercial, but more of campaign promoting the versatility of the egg. The original commercials all started off the same; the close up of the hand producing the egg, then the long shot of the actor or actress holding the egg as if they were the ones doing the magic. Then they went on to tell you the benefits of eating eggs, then ended with the close up of the hand again doing the magic with the jingle, "The incredible edible egg."

It's what's called a donut. That's where you have a beginning and an end and a place in the middle for a voice over or video to be inserted.

It would be nice to find one of those original commercials. At least this one has the production of the egg that became the staple to the campaign.
[/quote]

One of those hand models for the commercial was the late Kathy Krabbenschmidt. She use to perform at the Magic Castle and did the egg moves for Incredible Edible Egg.
Message: Posted by: mtpascoe (Jan 18, 2013 11:37AM)
I found the link again. I asked the people that do the commercial for the link and here it is. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=2102148590496&set=vb.46672017701&type=2&theater
Message: Posted by: Powermagic (Feb 9, 2013 12:26PM)
Thanks~ You should capture it onto your hard drive.


Has she confirmed it is her hands? Sorry she had "man hands" if she did the moves. :)
Message: Posted by: Kent Wong (Feb 9, 2013 10:23PM)
You could get close to these moves with the gimmick provided with the Chinese Egg Bag. It is a very traditional gimmick, much like a l**p b**l.

Kent
Message: Posted by: mtpascoe (Feb 10, 2013 04:08AM)
[quote]
On 2013-02-09 13:26, Powermagic wrote:
Thanks~ You should capture it onto your hard drive.


Has she confirmed it is her hands? Sorry she had "man hands" if she did the moves. :)
[/quote]

This spot of course is not of Kathy. She was used when a female actress was used. She supplied the hands and the long shot was of the actress delivering the lines.
Message: Posted by: Powermagic (Feb 12, 2013 12:15PM)
What do you mea she supplied "the hands"
While I can understand the male actor holding the egg and speaking did not produce it, I would also not have thought the hands making the egg appear were female.

Am I misunderstanding? I think I read in a obit the daughter mentioning they were her hands.

Thanks for clarifying.
Message: Posted by: mtpascoe (Mar 9, 2013 02:06AM)
[quote]
On 2013-02-09 23:23, Kent Wong wrote:
You could get close to these moves with the gimmick provided with the Chinese Egg Bag. It is a very traditional gimmick, much like a l**p b**l.

Kent
[/quote]

After Powermagic and I discussed this at great length, I came to the conclusion that Kent is correct. I worked out the handling based on Tony Slydini’s Capricious Cornucopia. With much back and forth with Powermagic and my own mind, I finally was able to recreate the basic look. I am not sure if this is how it really works, but it looks like it.
Message: Posted by: harbour (Mar 27, 2013 08:35PM)
Loved that commercial