(Close Window)
Topic: The Psychology of Magic at TEDxCanberra
This is my talk on the psychology of magic at an independently organised TED event in Canberra, Australia.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfCAJ-yetSQ&feature=channel
Thank you, enjoyed it
Thanks for posting this
Nice talk.
I love this stuff.
Message: Posted by: Jonathan Townsend (Apr 26, 2011 08:35PM)
Good to hear a little of Virginia Satir's work remembered. (1:59) and from there some Bandler. :)

BTW, John Ramsay had a tremendous sense of what others were thinking which he used at his shop and among magicians.
Message: Posted by: Simon Southern Moss (Jul 18, 2012 08:25AM)
A wonderful talk Simon.

I really enjoyed the lines and presentation, and felt, if anything, the audience were too mild.

Just a couple of minor points. First, the benefits of biofeedback, such as smiling, on mood are mitigated, and sometimes disappear, when explicit. As you would know, in most studies, the movements are incidental. But, when people are actually told to smile, the benefits, at least as measured by implicit or indirect measures, are not significant. If you know of any studies that diverge from this assumption, please let me know, because I could very well have missed this research.
I have been both a psychotherapist and magician for over 30 years, love continuing to learn about the blend of psychology and magic.