(Close Window)
Topic: Rubber Band Trick
My friend, The Magic Juan, invented a trick and we'd like to know if anyone else invented it first.

We all know rubber band jump tricks in which the band jumps from one (or more of) the performer's finger(s) to another of the performer's finger(s); or jumps from one of the performer's hands to his/her other hand. In Juan's trick though, the band jumps from his own hand to a spectators. This could be the, or at least a, holy grail of rubber band magic, no?

We demo'd the effect around the Magic Castle a couple of days last week and none of the magicians (including some prominent ones like Eugene Berger) had ever seen it done before--except for one guy who vaguely recalled seeing it somewhere on Youtube and who thinks it's for sale on some DVD or other.

Naturally, Juan is interested in knowing if he's the original creator of this effect. Does anyone here have a clue?

TIA,

--
Skilless
Vinny Marini has an effect where the band jumps from his hand to a spectator's hand that's on top of his. Give him a pm, and he should be able to help. He's also very knowledgeable in terms of rubber band magic. On the Café, he's: vinsmagic.
Vinny Marini lives in San Pedro, send him a PM, make a date with him, and he will tell you if you have anything. Tell him the rubber band man sent you.
I've seen Dean Dill do this.
[quote]
On 2010-12-01 18:52, mavericklancer wrote:
Vinny Marini has an effect where the band jumps from his hand to a spectator's hand that's on top of his. Give him a pm, and he should be able to help. He's also very knowledgeable in terms of rubber band magic. On the Café, he's: vinsmagic.
[/quote]

Thank you Maverick, will do!
[quote]
On 2010-12-01 19:51, Al Angello wrote:
Vinny Marini lives in San Pedro, send him a PM, make a date with him, and he will tell you if you have anything. Tell him the rubber band man sent you.
[/quote]

Thanks, "Rubber Band Man!" I'm not sure where San Pedro is, but I'll definitely contact Vinny.
[quote]
On 2010-12-01 20:33, Pete Biro wrote:
[/quote]

I like your "STAY TOONED" sig, Pete!

Thanks for the lead! Do you know if Dean Dill is contactable? (And I wish I could afford to buy some of his props.)
Dean dill does this effect differently than the one being described although the same technique is used the handling or routining is different
vinny
if any one want to see this pm me ill send a demo both versions p[lses send e amil too
Hi Al it's been a while since we spoke
any how
Skiless contacted me and yes the effect is s the same
vinny
[quote]
On 2010-12-05 17:59, Skilless wrote:
[quote]
[/quote]

Thanks for the lead! Do you know if Dean Dill is contactable? (And I wish I could afford to buy some of his props.)
[/quote]

Ask Pete Biro
[quote]
On 2010-12-08 06:17, Lawrence O wrote:
[quote]
On 2010-12-05 17:59, Skilless wrote:
[quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Ask Pete Biro
[/quote]

Thanks, I've PM'd him.
Can we see a demo of this trick?

Patrick
[quote]
On 2011-01-01 19:18, BYUDAD wrote:

Patrick
[/quote]

Patrick,

I do have a camera that could do the job, but I lack a tripod; so to record a demo, I'd need two assistants--one for the camera work and one "audience volunteer." That might be hard for me to arrange as I'm fairly reclusive and don't often see more than one friend at a time; but there are a couple of magic club meetings coming up in my area this week so I'll see what I can do. If that doesn't work out, I'll have another possible opportunity later this month when Dale Salwak gives a lecture at the Magic Castle that I plan to attend. (There's no photography allowed inside but maybe I can find helpers in the lobby or outside the main entrance. I do have a wristwatch that does stealth still- and motion-photography which the Castle management is aware of. They allow me to wear it inside because the trust me and I won't violate that trust.)
[quote]
On 2011-01-01 19:18, BYUDAD wrote:

Patrick
[/quote]

Wait, I don't need to record it. Here's a link to a video made by someone who apparently invented it independently:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTsT7pyjzxk
Wow. That looks incredible. I can see this trick getting phenomenal reactions!
As stated earlier this band effect is a very old idea but the new routine slapping the band on a spectators hand makes it look more increditable
vinny
[quote]
On 2011-01-02 11:04, vinsmagic wrote:
As stated earlier this band effect is a very old idea but the new routine slapping the band on a spectators hand makes it look more increditable
vinny
[/quote]

Actually, I don't think you've seen the new routine. Hanson Chien, the Asian performer in the link I sent you, seems to perform it as a stand alone (as do I), but The Magic Juan has routined it into a beautiful, dramatic, 5-move presentation. Having completed his course at the Chavez Studio of Magic, Juan's back in Colombia now to attend muggles college; but I'll see if I can get him to record a video.