(Close Window)
Topic: Anyone do a shoe production?
Hey I've been playing with a routine ending with a shoe production. I was wondering if anyone else has any experience with this. How do you routine it and how does it play strolling/table hopping?
Message: Posted by: Christopher Rinaldi (Dec 4, 2010 02:58PM)
Many years ago I had a friend that would produce his shoe from under his hat while standing tableside, he had small feet and a big head. It was the frist hat load/production I'd ever seen and quite unique I believe, although it couldn't be done surrounded. Good luck in your search!
Yeah I used to do it a bunch, Flicking Fingers style. also would do the glass of orange juice production.

Obviously don't slam your shoe down on a table in a restaurant...
First time I saw a shoe production was the SAM national convention in St. Louis some years ago. A Japanese magician produced his shoe from the flame in a lighter. It floored me and I started doing it for a while. Look up the Flicking Fingers version like Natanel suggested. I believe it's the same method that I was using.
Is it the same as the david stone method?
I think David Stone's routine is great, especially with the table in front of him; when you go back and know it's coming, it's so easy to see, but for an audience that hasn't seen it before it's a real surprise - especially when that SECOND show shows up!
That is the one I am playing with. I wonder if it can be pulled off (no pun intended) without a table?

is the production on flicking fingers better with a table present? who is the inventor of the production and where can I reference it.
Just think, would you want to hold a card that just came out of a sweaty, stinky shoe of a stranger, I learned this the hard way at a trade show, I did thIs type of effect, that was the reaction I got, loving the premise, I changed it to my pocket.
Dave Im not referring to card to shoe but an actual magical production of ones shoes
I produced my shoe on the table of a five star restaurant in France and it WOWED them. I have often done the Jay Marshall gag where you use your coat as a foulard where you say you will produce a person... and when you step aside, there are two empty shoes on the floor. "Well, he was here a second ago."
Pete did you always carry an extra pair of shoes to do that?
You step out of your own shoes to do that gag, TKE.
Ok gotcha.
Jay Marshall used to produce the shoe on the table. It is on his "Table Crap" video.

Seriously though a shoe? Are you planning on shaking anyones hand when you leave the table?

I am not saying it is right or wrong, just that maybe think about it. Time and place and all.
Too much wine last night, very sorry.
Danny you're right the idea is not for everyone. I feel it suits my personality and character and I'm going to try it out. My shoes are always polished and fairly new looking.
Hey cool man go for it. I have always said though it is not what YOU think your shoes look like that matters. It is how it is perceived by the patrons at a table that really counts.

Keep in mind that even open toe shoes are sort of taboo in a restaurant environment for employees. I am not saying it is good or bad or whatever. I just know that in the places I work there is NO WAY it would fly. That is not to say it would not work in other environments. That is what is great about what we do.
I think I'd check with the gaffer before I did this in an establishment. Pilou does a couple of shoe productions in his fism act

http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=%2Fmobile&gl=GB#/watch?xl=xl_blazer&v=xO8cPnoUqFk
[quote]
On 2010-12-04 16:57, twistedace wrote:
First time I saw a shoe production was the SAM national convention in St. Louis some years ago. A Japanese magician produced his shoe from the flame in a lighter. It floored me and I started doing it for a while.
[/quote]

Yes, a couple of japanese magicians started doing it like that after my lecture in Tokyo 1999 - looks awsome!
The piece is titled "Champagne" and was published in "The Warpsmith Returns" in 1996.
Lectured it in Europe in mid-90's, which is when David Stone picked it up. Happy to see that he have had success with it.
Republished the piece in my book Vortex this year, along with a lot of different handlings.

A tad curious though... you didn't hesitate at all to add someone else's piece to your work?
[quote]
On 2010-12-04 18:06, TKE wrote:
That is the one I am playing with. I wonder if it can be pulled off (no pun intended) without a table?
is the production on flicking fingers better with a table present? who is the inventor of the production and where can I reference it.
[/quote]

Yes, it can be done without a table :)
For example, here is Travis Bernhardt performing "Champagne" (sans table) from Vortex and "Of Dice and Men" from the October 2009 issue of Genii:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJEbw5K57Ks
Leave your shoes on...Unless you are on the streets or in a parlor, stand-up or stage setting I don't think you should remove your shoe(s) for an effect. Especially while table hopping...It might be OK if you do it once for a special crowd or if the moment is right...But to have it be part of your strolling act in a restaurant or anywhere food is being served more than drinks...It's not a good idea.

But back to your question, I have never really seen anyone produce a shoe for effect, I have seen many magi produce many things from their shoe (Cards, Soda/Beer Can, ect...) As for which magicians have published these ideas, I could not tell ya...sorry.
[quote}

A tad curious though... you didn't hesitate at all to add someone else's piece to your work?
[/quote]

Is this referring to my original post? I actually bought david stone's dvd which he credits you to the production. And credits himself to the double production.
Oh and by the way I did this for the restaurant owner tonight he was having dinner with a friend and they were shocked. I do agree with Sleightly in that I will be particular to whom I do the effect for. The bottom line is my patter for the routine actually makes sense and the other table I performed it for thought it was hilarious.
[quote]
On 2010-12-05 20:45, TStone wrote:
[quote]
On 2010-12-04 18:06, TKE wrote:
[/quote]

Yes, it can be done without a table :)
For example, here is Travis Bernhardt performing "Champagne" (sans table) from Vortex and "Of Dice and Men" from the October 2009 issue of Genii:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJEbw5K57Ks
[/quote]

A bit difference from Topas's one, huh? He did on stage and I found it in his lecturenote
In his lecture (available on YouTube), "Thinking Like a Magician," at Harvard's Radcliffe Institute, Joshua Jay opens his *stage* presentation with his-shoe-to-silk and closes with his-shoe-to-hand, the latter with the quick cover of small dry erase board. There are no long or wide camera shots at these moments (I don't think the camera shots were planned to obscure, but I could be wrong) to help us discern his method. But it's mostly misdirection. On stage = No cover as convenient as a restaurant table!
Although this is an old thread, I would be interested in any updates on this topic, whether for stage, parlor, table hopping or strolling. Thanks!
For kids shows I did a shoe production at the end of what was otherwise a typical change bag trick.
Wonderful surprise as the bag had been inspected numerous times during the trick.

Usually it was my own shoe.
Sometimes I would produce the dad's shoe and, of course, the kids would look over to see him wearing only one shoe at the end of the trick.

Great ending for a change bag trick.