(Close Window)
Topic: Function(9)
Message: Posted by: calen.morelli. (Dec 8, 2010 08:16PM)
Hey everyone, I just wanted to let you guys know about my latest project, Function(9), it is now available for pre-order. Function 9 is a collection of nine effects I have been working on for the past couple of years. These 2 discs contain effects that are practical and hard hitting using everything from playing cards to cell phones, to chewing gum. Each effect is taught in detail covering over 3 hours on the 2 DVD's.

http://papercranemagic.com/f9.htm

Enjoy,
Calen Morelli
Message: Posted by: bsmith (Dec 9, 2010 02:40AM)
While I havent seen the finished product yet, the trailer looks sick! Knowing Calen's thinking this will be a must have!

Even though I do have some releases with papercrane, this is a completely unsolicited post and I gain nothing from his sales. With that being said, if you arent familiar with Calen's work, his blog, and his other releases, you may want to take a look and get used to seeing a lot more from Mr. Morelli.
Message: Posted by: Kevin Schaller (Dec 9, 2010 10:28AM)
I definitely will buy it! Your stuff looks awesome!
Message: Posted by: Seeker (Dec 9, 2010 01:47PM)
I just saw the demo video and I am definitely impressed with "suspended."

Very excited to hear some reviews and what people think.

-Jacob
Message: Posted by: Blindside785 (Dec 9, 2010 02:29PM)
I've seen suspended a while ago on tinychat/themagicsession...very impressive!
Message: Posted by: mayniac (Dec 9, 2010 04:01PM)
Calen, I think we all are seeing how much of a HUGE force in magic you are going to be very soon. This looks great!
Message: Posted by: Max Krause (Dec 9, 2010 04:14PM)
Having had the opportunity to see some of this performed for me by Calen before it's release I can only say that his methods are original, his thinking is brilliant and his creativity knows no bounds. This is a MUST HAVE product. Calen will open your eyes as to what's possible when creating the impossible!

Max
Message: Posted by: smurf (Dec 9, 2010 07:14PM)
HEY all how we doing ! I'm in uk and its late in the morning but had to post this ! couldn't resist it but I downloaded from papercrane calens F9 dvd earlier .Gotta say unbelivable guys ,im a big w houchin & garcia fan ! BUT I do belive theirs a new sheriff in town ! quality of the dvd is good ,explnations are good ,live perfomances good, hints and tips good , sunglasses cool , and the tricks brillant, .To me calens got the balance right on the spot stuff thrown in with some beautifull routines using cards ,bottles, pens ,caps, sunglases,bubblegum,mobiles,paperclips, rubberbands,etc.Some tricks need alittle prep but honestley not much! i.Rountines are explained well, over the shoulder views are used which is always nice and theirs 2-3 live perfomaces for each trick .Iknow some of you might think I'm calens PA , but honestly guys I love on the spot magic ,street magic I wouldnt say I'm good at it !but its a hobby I love and hav loads of lit,and dvds about, and gotta say calens F9 impressed me earlier ! so gonna knuckle down learn the slights and see how things go . cheers
Message: Posted by: Vorezo (Dec 9, 2010 08:12PM)
[quote]
On 2010-12-09 15:29, Blindside785 wrote:
I've seen suspended a while ago on tinychat/themagicsession...very impressive!
[/quote]

Which one is suspended?
Message: Posted by: calen.morelli. (Dec 9, 2010 08:27PM)
Suspended is the first effect shown on the demo.

Calen
Message: Posted by: Brian Proctor (Dec 11, 2010 06:21PM)
Calen, my man, you have raised the level! We gotta get together soon. Definitely picking up your DVD. Guys, I have seen this stuff first hand and it will hurt your brain!
Message: Posted by: Seeker (Dec 11, 2010 07:00PM)
Any more reviews for this dvd?
Message: Posted by: JamieD (Dec 12, 2010 08:52AM)
Calen is fast becoming one of the guys who I would NEVER hesitate to buy from. This release is a prime example of why. The effects in this set are absolutely stunning. His eye for detail and for visual magic is ten to non. As per usual with PCP, the production quality is rockin and Calen makes it all the more cooler. If I were in Calens mind for even 10 mins, I'm not sure I would be able to handle what I see. In Calens mind is the future of magic and with that kind of thinking, you'd have to be very careful. The band around phone effect is genius and such a clever method. Likewise is the Suspended band effect. I mean, WOW. That for me was the trick of the DVD. I've always been a fan of band tricks but as of yet, ive never found an effect that I would use for a walk around set that didn't seem a bit bizarre. Never before now have I wanted to confidently bring two small elastic bands into a set and have them rub their eyes. I cant wait to grab that special something and give it a ago.

Those who are still unsure, Subscribe to Calens mind and download the future of magic. These are disks of pure digital delight that will never tire to amaze magician and spectator alike! ROCK ON CALEN!

Jamie Daws
Message: Posted by: Xcath1 (Dec 12, 2010 10:44PM)
Bought it, worth it, especially if you did not already buy transit as a separate effect from T11. Not going to go trick by trick, you can watch the trailer and read the descriptions to gut an idea but generally practical stuff. Most is not impromptu (some is) but requiring easy set up or gaffs you make yourself for little expense. Recommended.
Message: Posted by: papercrane (Dec 13, 2010 07:24AM)
I wouldn't say most are not impromptu. About 45% of the material is impromptu.
Message: Posted by: Xcath1 (Dec 13, 2010 09:44AM)
I'll go with 45% but did not check your math
Message: Posted by: Markymark (Dec 13, 2010 10:02AM)
Just wondering is anything interesting is said during the routines?
Good scripts always make a dvd worthwhile to me.
Message: Posted by: Ray Tupper. (Dec 13, 2010 10:04AM)
[quote]
On 2010-12-13 08:24, papercrane wrote:
I wouldn't say most are not impromptu. About 45% of the material is impromptu.
[/quote]
Well,you've lost me.
Message: Posted by: Dan Bernier (Dec 13, 2010 10:10AM)
[quote]
On 2010-12-13 11:02, Markymark wrote:
Just wondering is anything interesting is said during the routines?
Good scripts always make a dvd worthwhile to me.
[/quote]

Good scripts come from good magicians who use their own good creative mind to come up with a good script of their own. :)
Message: Posted by: ted french (Dec 13, 2010 10:10AM)
I think the point is there is a lot of impromptu stuff there but the final verdict will prove tht 100% of the effects are practical.
Message: Posted by: Xcath1 (Dec 13, 2010 12:16PM)
Fair question about the scripting and I would say no. These are "street magic" type effects presented by a likeable guy and technically taught well. They are not, at least in my opinion, "motivated." The best magician is a great entertainer with great scripts, great magic, great jokes, etc. Only a handful I have seen fit this bill. Sometimes several but not all of these qualities are sufficient
Message: Posted by: Markymark (Dec 13, 2010 02:22PM)
Thank's Xcath1, Gospel Dan always seems to be in a bad mood!
Message: Posted by: Dan Bernier (Dec 13, 2010 09:36PM)
Sorry Markymark!

I was really only kidding around with what I said. Besides, I'm never in a bad mood. ;)
Message: Posted by: HusssKarson (Dec 14, 2010 02:30AM)
Looks great! Would love to see some detailed review from the owners.
Message: Posted by: Alan Rorrison (Dec 14, 2010 05:26AM)
Detailed review? The only thing you need to here is " buy it... buy it now" some of the most commercial close up work that I have seen in a "long long long long long long long time"
Message: Posted by: Markymark (Dec 14, 2010 05:31AM)
No problem Dan,I do understand that some of us want to be spoonfed!

I often find an interesting script acts as a springboard for an original idea of
my own.Of course every trick does not have to be motivated but I tend to watch
those sort of dvd's more then once just for entertainment value.
I'm thinking of Tommy Wonder,Matthew Wright,Bill Abbott and lately I'm watching
the Del Ray dvd over and over.
But maybe the future of magic[as JamieD puts it] is quicker tricks!
Message: Posted by: alpha alex (Dec 15, 2010 11:58AM)
Oooh ***!! this is really bad news for me
I just ordered from penguin last week.. and now I will have to order again

callen.. well done! your material is really strong and you are really creative.. keep it up!
Message: Posted by: lunatik (Dec 17, 2010 06:45PM)
Anyone else pick this up?
Message: Posted by: Lord*Of*ILLUZION (Dec 18, 2010 12:47PM)
Yes I purchased the download.....all I have to say is Calen's thinking reminds me a little of Paul Harris' style but with a unique flair. I am very impressed. These effects use a good balance of sleights, subtlety, misdirection, older principles, very simple gimmicks, and just great, offbeat thinking. Excellent job, would totally recommend this.
Message: Posted by: Stucky (Dec 19, 2010 04:39AM)
[quote]
On 2010-12-13 13:16, Xcath1 wrote:
Fair question about the scripting and I would say no. These are "street magic" type effects presented by a likeable guy and technically taught well. They are not, at least in my opinion, "motivated." The best magician is a great entertainer with great scripts, great magic, great jokes, etc. Only a handful I have seen fit this bill. Sometimes several but not all of these qualities are sufficient
[/quote]

I would be inclined to agree. many can do magic, few can perform magic, and even few can entertain with it. (Fooling people does not equal entertainment) I think the best effect on here is the cell phone/rubber band effect personally.
Message: Posted by: papercrane (Dec 24, 2010 11:44PM)
For all those who have purchased Function 9... Calen and Alan Rorrison have created an impromptu version of Transport that is awesome. Check it out here http://www.papercranemagic.com/transportimpromptu.htm
Message: Posted by: Alan Rorrison (Dec 25, 2010 02:30AM)
Cheers for the Kudos folks... I cant lie, my fone is ALWAYS set up to go now... Lovig it calen. Great work and I'm happy I could help in what ever little way I can...
Message: Posted by: MaxfieldsMagic (Dec 25, 2010 08:14PM)
Can anyone say whether the version/explanation of Transit on this DVD is exactly the same as the one on the Transit stand-alone DVD? Just wondering because I have a new copy of Transit still in the wrapper, but will probably sell it without opening it after I get the Function(9) DVD, unless there is some reason to own both. Thanks.
Message: Posted by: Acar (Dec 25, 2010 11:45PM)
Maxfieldsmagic: Yes, the full routine is taught. On each version there is a unique alternative handling taught, but each has the full original routine.

Hope that helps!

Acar
Penguin Magic
Message: Posted by: MaxfieldsMagic (Dec 26, 2010 01:29AM)
Thanks, Acar. That helps.
Message: Posted by: Bernardo Rodriguez (Dec 26, 2010 01:34AM)
I bought this and I was impressed! I really liked loaded and will use it because it fits what I do so well....
Honestly I think you and Dan Hauss should jam because he is a major gimmick person and you have similar styles. I think you both could really do some damage to the magic community. (just my opinion)


Bernardo Rodriguez
Message: Posted by: Zhang (Dec 27, 2010 12:58PM)
In the routine Trans(port) Calen uses a yellow rubber band which it is very similar to the other "thing" he uses with ,in the same effect.

I just can not find that kind of rubber bands to match that "thing". If any of you guys know where I can get those yellow rubber band I would really appreciate it if you can post a link and so forth.

thanks in advance.


Zhang
Message: Posted by: Seeker (Dec 27, 2010 10:51PM)
[quote]
On 2010-12-27 13:58, Zhang wrote:
In the routine Trans(port) Calen uses a yellow rubber band which it is very similar to the other "thing" he uses with ,in the same effect.

I just can not find that kind of rubber bands to match that "thing". If any of you guys know where I can get those yellow rubber band I would really appreciate it if you can post a link and so forth.

thanks in advance.


Zhang
[/quote]

OfficeMax

http://www.officemax.com/office-supplies/clips-fasteners-rubberbands/rubber-bands/product-ARS22028

http://www.officemax.com/office-supplies/clips-fasteners-rubberbands/rubber-bands/product-prod2240222
Message: Posted by: Zhang (Dec 28, 2010 02:31AM)
[quote]
On 2010-12-27 23:51, Seeker wrote:
[quote]
On 2010-12-27 13:58, Zhang wrote:
In the routine Trans(port) Calen uses a yellow rubber band which it is very similar to the other "thing" he uses with ,in the same effect.

I just can not find that kind of rubber bands to match that "thing". If any of you guys know where I can get those yellow rubber band I would really appreciate it if you can post a link and so forth.

thanks in advance.


Zhang
[/quote]

OfficeMax

http://www.officemax.com/office-supplies/clips-fasteners-rubberbands/rubber-bands/product-ARS22028

http://www.officemax.com/office-supplies/clips-fasteners-rubberbands/rubber-bands/product-prod2240222
[/quote]

Thanks a lot,i'm gonna order some right now.

Happy New Year!

Zhang
Message: Posted by: whiteoakcanyon (Feb 16, 2011 09:38PM)
This DVD received an awesome review on the Wizard Product Review. I think they referred to it as one of the best DVDs of the decade. Placed my order this morning.
Message: Posted by: muse (Feb 17, 2011 02:59AM)
[quote]
On 2011-02-16 22:38, whiteoakcanyon wrote:
This DVD received an awesome review on the Wizard Product Review. I think they referred to it as one of the best DVDs of the decade. Placed my order this morning.
[/quote]

Although if you take it as starting from 1st Jan 2010, the decade is only a year or so old, and if you take it as starting from 1st Jan 2011, it's only about 6 weeks old, and "best dvd of the last 6 weeks" doesn't have quite the same ring to it. Best dvd of the decade "to date" maybe? (As opposed to best dvd of the decade "today" that is...just teasing.)

None of my ramblings above are to criticise the dvd itself, I don't have it so can't comment.
Message: Posted by: Craig Petty (Feb 17, 2011 03:14AM)
[quote]
On 2011-02-17 03:59, muse wrote:
[quote]
On 2011-02-16 22:38, whiteoakcanyon wrote:
This DVD received an awesome review on the Wizard Product Review. I think they referred to it as one of the best DVDs of the decade. Placed my order this morning.
[/quote]

Although if you take it as starting from 1st Jan 2010, the decade is only a year or so old, and if you take it as starting from 1st Jan 2011, it's only about 6 weeks old, and "best dvd of the last 6 weeks" doesn't have quite the same ring to it. Best dvd of the decade "to date" maybe? (As opposed to best dvd of the decade "today" that is...just teasing.)

None of my ramblings above are to criticise the dvd itself, I don't have it so can't comment.
[/quote]

Just to clarify Dave and I meant the last ten years not since 2010. It really Is an awesome DVD.
Message: Posted by: muse (Feb 17, 2011 04:24AM)
And that's fair enough, I respect your opinion. I was seeking to clarify in the interests of full disclosure (either that or just pulling your leg a bit).

Keep on with the reviews, they are always entertaining.
Message: Posted by: sketchomagic (Mar 2, 2011 10:01AM)
Okay I'm buying this. I'm sold.
Message: Posted by: Dan Bernier (Mar 2, 2011 10:17AM)
I got this to see what all the hype was about.

Once I watched the dvd and played around with some of his idea's I have to admit that this isn't hyped enough.

Is it the best DVD in the last ten years? I think that one can only make a fair opinion of that only if they have seen every DVD that has come out in the last 10 years. However, I'm pretty sure Craig is stateing his opinion based on all the DVD's he's watched in the last 10 years, and I bet that's a lot of t.v time. (lol)

Craig, if it wasn't for your review of Function, I would of never bought it. Now that I bought it, I'm glad I did. I echo your words.
Message: Posted by: Shanlip (Mar 20, 2011 06:51AM)
Hi all,

I purchased this and think it's a great collection the only problem is I live in Australia and like a lot of tricks I have problems getting the required props. The pen in bottle trick requires a straight sided bottle and I can't find one.
This is a great effect that I could really use but without the right bottle Iím up the creek.

Just wanted to know if anyone in the States would be interested in picking a couple up and sending them to me? (I will pay upfront by PayPal)

If you can help me PM me.
Message: Posted by: Suux88 (Mar 20, 2011 11:09AM)
[quote]
On 2011-03-20 07:51, Shanlip wrote:
Hi all,

I purchased this and think it's a great collection the only problem is I live in Australia and like a lot of tricks I have problems getting the required props. The pen in bottle trick requires a straight sided bottle and I can't find one.
This is a great effect that I could really use but without the right bottle Iím up the creek.

Just wanted to know if anyone in the States would be interested in picking a couple up and sending them to me? (I will pay upfront by PayPal)



If you can help me PM me.
[/quote]

The bottle is called 'Smart Water'
I am sure you can google and pick some up.

Links for the rubber bands are found in officemax above!
Message: Posted by: Shikina (Mar 20, 2011 01:12PM)
I don't own this set but I am intrigued by the impromptu version of TRANSPORT which was linked to at the top of this page.

Can somebody who's had a chance to check out this impromptu handling speak to how satisfying this version is compared to the one that's on the DVD? Does it look identical to the spectator?
Message: Posted by: Shanlip (Mar 21, 2011 05:07AM)
I have tried online but with no luck, I only found 1 site but they don't ship to OZ.
I think the problem is we have a different company here selling a drink called Smart Water and it isn't the same.

[quote]
On 2011-03-20 12:09, Suux88 wrote:
[quote]
On 2011-03-20 07:51, Shanlip wrote:
Hi all,

I purchased this and think it's a great collection the only problem is I live in Australia and like a lot of tricks I have problems getting the required props. The pen in bottle trick requires a straight sided bottle and I can't find one.
This is a great effect that I could really use but without the right bottle Iím up the creek.

Just wanted to know if anyone in the States would be interested in picking a couple up and sending them to me? (I will pay upfront by PayPal)



If you can help me PM me.
[/quote]

The bottle is called 'Smart Water'
I am sure you can google and pick some up.

Links for the rubber bands are found in officemax above!
[/quote]
Message: Posted by: atinczor (Apr 6, 2011 05:14AM)
Just ordered the DVD set. The reviews are too good to be true.
Message: Posted by: Caleb Wiles (Apr 11, 2011 12:23PM)
Here's another review for Calen's Function 9 DVD if you're interested: http://www.calebwilesmagic.com/?p=1430

Caleb
http://www.CalebWilesMagic.com
Message: Posted by: Dr. Eamon (Apr 11, 2011 04:42PM)
As a mentalist I would normally not have bought this, but thanks to the review boys I did buy it and I'm very happy I did, great material!!!
Message: Posted by: Piz (May 10, 2012 05:18AM)
Anyone getting results with these effects?


Signed... Mr Interested



Paul
Message: Posted by: Kevin Schaller (May 10, 2012 05:36AM)
Loaded (card behind shoe) is one of the routines I always perform when I am out. It is really easy to do and gets great reactions! Also loved the other tricks on this DVD. I can't recommend it enough!

Kevin
Message: Posted by: Piz (May 10, 2012 08:41AM)
Kevin your awesome man, thanks for your input, much appreciated! :)
Message: Posted by: M Sini (May 10, 2012 09:54AM)
I never got around to "working" any of these. Think I'll get the DVD set back out and have another view.
Message: Posted by: 1KJ (Aug 7, 2013 08:05PM)
These are some awesome effects! I do VGH a lot. I would say it is my new favorite grasshopper effect. My old favorite was Justin Miller's version, but I think this one is much more powerful because it uses any deck.
KJ
Message: Posted by: Zombie Magic (Dec 1, 2013 07:11PM)
For an hour, Function 9 is the Penguin Cool Box deal for 1/2 price AND free world wide shipping!

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/2368