(Close Window)
Topic: New magic app - Magic SMS
A new app has just been launched - [b]Magic SMS[/b].

[i]"Magic SMS is the coolest effect I've seen in years! Trust me you'll be texting everyone about this... Amazing!" - Dynamo[/i]

[i]"When the whole world sends an SMS, Magic SMS is the perfect organic effect to do. Brilliant! Diabolical!" - Greg Rostami[/i]

[i]"This is the most creative use of the iPhone and it's apps I have seen so far. No doubt this will set a trend for all to follow. Pure genius!" - Daniel Young[/i]

[i]"Such a cool trick and no one will ever suspect you are running an app. It really is a fooler. The best magic app out there. Congrats!" - Simon Grant[/i]

Imagine a magic app that does not look like you are running an app...

Imagine a magic app that creates powerful mind reading magic...

Imagine a magic app where you do not touch the iPhone...

Imagine no more.

Introducing Magic SMS... Mind Reading via Text Message.

The Effect: You tell your friend that you know someone called Simon who is psychic and that you want to put him to the test. You ask your friend to freely think of any colour and then to make it even more difficult to think of any playing card as well. Nothing is spoken or written down.

You send a text message to Simon asking him to guess what your friend is thinking of. You then turn off your phone and put it aside – NEVER touching your iPhone AGAIN.

While you are waiting for the reply, out of curiosity and for confirmation you ask your friend what he has thought of. You have just about finished your chat when all of a sudden, your iPhone alerts signalling a new text message. Psychic Simon has replied.

You instruct your friend to to pick up the phone as you don’t want to touch it. A preview of the reply is shown on the lock screen. When the full reply is read, your friend sees that Simon has correctly guessed both the freely thought of colour and playing card. Amazing!

An alternative presentation will allow your friend to write and send the SMS message. In this presentation, you don't touch the phone at all. Wow!

[b][list]
[*] Easy to do but strong in magic.
[*] Uses a never before used principle in iPhone app magic.
[*] No voice activation, G-Sensor use, icon swiping or motion activation.
[*] No masking or hiding of the screen. Everything is done openly and fairly.
[*] You NEVER touch the phone again once the text has been sent.
[*] Also once you know what colour and card your friend has thought of you STILL never touch the phone.
[*] No charges to send or receive SMS messages.
[*] App can be fully customised to use any name for sender and receiver of SMS.
[*] A free choice of ANY colour and ANY playing card – a total of 530 possible combinations.
[*] SMS reply will be in English so app works fine in UK, USA, Australia etc. Other language support in future updates.[/b][/list]

If you like it, please rate and support the app.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/magic-sms/id409372560?mt=8
Bought it, used it a few times already, love it!

Highest recommendation!

;)
Cool isn't it? :)
Great job Angelo! I use this right after Mental Killer if they ask me to repeat the effect. Extremely clever!
Good idea Max. Therefore if I get asked to repeat Magic SMS then I could follow with Mental Killer :) What a good combo heheh! They could both involve the same person (apparently).
Have to try.
Excellent, Angelo! I'll be using this all the time.

Benny
Does this app support non english chat? Like the Chinese or Japanese message.
Great Ben. Glad you are happy with it.

Avenger this only supports english chat. This is mentioned above in the first post:

[b]# SMS reply will be in English so app works fine in UK, USA, Australia etc. Other language support in future updates.[/b]

Sorry avenger.
Bought it but don't like it..
There's something you say to the spec that really no one would ever say to a stranger
Luke
Hi Luke!

I have PM'd you with an alternative action to use to avoid what you don't like to say. Its actually mentioned in the instructions this alternative action :)
Been performing this all day! It's fantastic! Reactions from Magicians are priceless!

Michael ;)
Derren Brown seems to love it. He posted it on his twitter and facebook page. That's nice!
Hi Angelo,

It doesn't get any better then getting an endorsement from Derren Brown.

Is there any way of customizing the response message from "your psychic friend".

The reason why I ask is because I want to tie in Magic SMS with iPredict.

Hence the performance would allow one to repeat contacting the psychic with a different method and a different outcome (voicemail and SMS message).

I've got one other idea about Magic SMS that I'll share with you in private. This idea would allow the psychic to know the name of the spectator as well as the color and the card.

AWESOME app . . . I wish you the best,
Greg Rostami
Thanks Greg! Let's chat about what you have in mind.
I can't edit the first post but here is a nice quote to add to it:

[i]"The best magic trick app that I've seen; beautifully thought through." - Derren Brown[/i]
Very cool app. Perfect as texting is the way so many communicate. This is so fair as the message comes into the phone and you never touch it. Recommended.
Just downloaded this and took a cursory look. Definitely like it at first glance, and look forward to delving into it. Certainly a great app to use in conjunction with Metal Killer and iPredict!

Nice job Angelo!

Kevin
Will this ever be updated for an iPod Touch as well - using something different than the standard texts?
Jprace, someone told me on another forum that they do the trick on an ipod touch and just pretends its an iphone. He has a leather case around it to disguise the thinness of the ipod.
Hi Angelo,
Any plan on more languages update? French? Chinese?
Hello Yif!

Yes we will be looking into localisation of language but in future updates.

Can I ask those who have purchased the app and are pleased to kindly rate/and or review on itunes. Its lovely to hear you comments hear but I would love it even more so to see them in itunes.
Hey all!

I noticed there is a review of Mental Killer (excellent app btw) in the Good/Bad/Garbage Tricks and Effects forum.

Anyone who purchased it care to review it in there?

Merry Christmas!
Angelo,

Your app just killed Mental Killer, for me (and at only 10% of the cost of that other app). Yours is far superior, in my opinion.
[quote]
On 2010-12-24 12:51, Illucifer wrote:
Angelo,

Your app just killed Mental Killer, for me (and at only 10% of the cost of that other app). Yours is far superior, in my opinion.
[/quote]

;)
Thanks illucifer very kind but Mental Killer is still a killer of an app too! :)
I think Mental Killer is better IMO especially when used with a m.....d d..k or p..k. Why would you give a stranger your personal p.. n.....r as in SMS . However still think they are both great but I know there are ways around why your phone is locked but personally looking forward to Mental Killer with the upgrade. I think a voice recognition app would be great too , even though every developer says in the ad no voice recognition , I believe if they could use this technology they would IMO Gary
In the instructions it says you can handle the phone yourself if you want so there are two ways to do it. Also which one you choose to use depends if you are performing to friends or strangers.
Another one to add to the first post:

[i]"This is such a strong and effective use of magic on the iPhone finally."[/i] - David Blaine
Magic SMS was just performed live on London's LBC radio this morning. :o)
Update version 1.1 has been done. The main impressive feature that should please many magicians is being able ot use a default SMS reply or customise the reply and have it say anything you like. Awaiting Apple's approval as soon as Itunes opens next week.
Dear Angelo,
you've made the best magic app for the iphone so far. The pattern and order of events totally mixes the participants perception of cause and effect, making the secret untraceable. Genius.
Victor Mids from the Netherlands
Thank you Victor. Very kind of you to say.

With the new version of Magic SMS around the corner here is one new presentation you can do.

You give your spectator 10 coloured felt pens and a piece of paper. You ask her to think of any card and to write it down with any pen. She then folds it up and sends a text to the psychic friend to guess what her card is. Moments later she gets a text back saying:

[i]Hello Jane! So you have been given a piece of paper and several felt pens. You then thought of a playing card and wrote it down right? Well how on earth could I possibly know that you used the Blue pen to write down the Four of Spades? :)[/i]

So there is the added kicker of the psychic knowing which pen she used to write with when she was just thinking it was all about the card.

You could also have given her a marked deck and she chooses one card and then writes it down and folds up the paper.

Now that the SMS reply can be customised, this will open up so many doors to presentations.

Also in addition to the playing card, instead of asking someone to think of a colour, you can predict which coloured socks they chose or are wearing. What coloured ball they picked from a bag. What coloured shirt they are wearing. Which coloured paper they wrote on etc...
Very nice additions Angelo :)
AWESOME !!!

I've already changed the name of my psychic to Esmeralda.

;-)

I have so many ideas on how to mix Magic SMS and iPredict with your new version of customizable messages.

thank you Angelo,
Greg Rostami
Bought this but...when setting something it's too big!!
Blindside check your PM. I am here to help.
I bought this - knowing that is uses standard messaging - even though I have an iPod Touch. It's great and well thought out.
A few suggestions that would make it more accessible to someone using this device:

-Make the "Emergency Call" button optional
-Use a Skype (or similar) interface. Skype is free and offers messaging if you are connected to WiFi

And a general suggestion:

-You can allow ANY of the Homescreen icons to be the messaging, not just a specific one. Similar to what was done in iForce. (Excluding the upper left.)

Either way, this app was fun to play around with. I can imagine it would be fun to do as well!

Jeff
Also, can the time be optional as well? We don't usually say "16:25" here in the US.
Thanks Jeff for your feedback from an ipod user. All feedback noted and will be considered for future update.

Re military time this will hopefully be implemented sooner rather than later.
[quote]
On 2010-12-26 04:57, Angelo M Carbone wrote:
Magic SMS was just performed live on London's LBC radio this morning. :o)
[/quote]

Angelo, good to know that. Have any online radio to listen.
And hope support Chinese as quick as.
Thanks.

Bole Chen
PM me your email address and I will send you the mp3.
[quote]
On 2010-12-27 21:13, Angelo M Carbone wrote:
PM me your email address and I will send you the mp3.
[/quote]

ERROR: The user "Angelo M Carbone" has run out of space.
All users are limited to 60 total topics.

Looks like you inbox is full. XD
Try now.
This is an amazing app....bought it yesterday and already freaked my friends out at a party.....

a possible presntation is that you have a magician friend who is at an event with you; while you walk out of your room the magician friend "text" YOU with their app.....it looks like you were the one guessing the thing.

by the way,it's hoped that in a future update, users can script their own SMS history and not have it random....I can forsee a scenario where I am performing to a friend and they actually see their name on the history, since I have their contact in my iphone.......albeit for half a second only, it's a potential wreck.
I bought this today and despite only having an ipod touch angelo personally put me on the right track to using this APP and I actually think that I would get away with people believing that I have an iphone! Great after sales service! The method is very clever and also very simple to use. Had no problems at all the first time that I tried it. Am loving it!
Hi Mickey,

In the next update you can check the SMS list for any contacts you don't want and delete them from the list. This is useful if say you have a business show up in the list or the name of the person you are performing to. Regarding your presenation, that is exactly how I would do it using the felt marker pens routine described further up this page.

Captainsmiffy, Glad you are enjoying performing the trick even though using an iPod. Hey you are a magician. Not only are you fooling them with the trick but you are fooling them to thinking you have an iPhone. Double whammy!!!! :)
Message: Posted by: Mauricio Jaramillo (Dec 28, 2010 09:50AM)
This app is excellent, many small details have been carefully thought out in order to make it as real as possible. It's definitely a winner and will be performed often.

Customizing this into other languages is going to be difficult, but I look forward to that!
Thanks Mauricio. Most kind of you. Yes other language support is on the to do list.
Bought this today!! Benn thinking on this or ipredict. Had a friend buy Ipredict and I decided to get Magic SMS. Tha being said, I have an idea of doing iforce and following with Magic SMS. Looking forward to the update to amke my routine smoother.

Angelo, congrats on this wonderful app! Do you plan on making a fully customizable version available?
Hi Magicmind! Thanks mister!

Yes version 1.1 is currently waiting to be reviewed by Apple. In this update among others additions will be the ability to edit the SMS reply to say whatever you want. You also don't have to have a colour named and can do just a card if you wish but I feel both is stronger. Because you can edit the reply, it means also you could in theory write the reply in any language you want as too the sent message. However all other fake messages will still be in English.
[quote]
On 2010-12-30 16:16, Angelo M Carbone wrote:
Hi Magicmind! Thanks mister!

Yes version 1.1 is currently waiting to be reviewed by Apple. In this update among others additions will be the ability to edit the SMS reply to say whatever you want. You also don't have to have a colour named and can do just a card if you wish but I feel both is stronger. Because you can edit the reply, it means also you could in theory write the reply in any language you want as too the sent message. However all other fake messages will still be in English.
[/quote]
Will we be able to choose items other than cards or colors?
For the time being its only colours and cards. Maybe in the future full customisation could be a possibility.
Hey All,

I was fortunate enough to get a sneak peak at Angelo's latest release and the newest version, 1.1.

Being able to customize the message is FANTASTIC! This really opens this up to your creativity and makes it more your own.

This is incredibly intuitive, easy to do and very deceptive.

If you don't have Magic SMS already it is a must have. If you do have Magic SMS, the update is going to knock your socks off!

Great job Angelo!
Max
Cheers Max! :)
Magic SMS 1.1 and Mental Killer 2.0 = Unbeatable audience entertainment! ;)
I have to agree with Max and Angelo on mixing apps.

Tonight we were invited to a dinner party with a few old friends that didn't know about my magic apps.

Before I began, I customized iPredict and Magic SMS so the name of the psychic was Simone.

I introduced "Simone" by saying she usually picks up the phone but if we can't talk to her, we'll try SMS . . . ;-)

I started with a performance of iPredict (almost identical to the video demo without the business card) I had my friend choose a card and show it to everyone but me. Then I had her call "Simone" on her phone.

When her speaker phone announced her card, the crowd went CRAZY! Lots of profanity later, after I had calmed everyone down, I said let's try reaching her on SMS.

"We'll make it harder this time, I want you to imagine the back of the cards are made of ANY color. This time select a card but don't look at it."

I performed Magic SMS (Thank You, Thank You Angelo) . . . handed my iPhone to my friend, and had her read the text message to everyone . . .

First the color got the first cheers . . . and then after she had read the card (4 of Clubs) , I had her turn over the card.

The ONE, TWO, THREE, punch was a KNOCK OUT !!

That was the only magic that I performed tonight . . . I don't think they are ever going to forget that performance.

My friend asked me if she could reach the psychic again for consultation (BTW, this happens a LOT). I told her "You just called her. You already have her number, I'm sure she'd love to do a personal reading for you." ;-)

Fun times,
Greg Rostami

P.S. After all the excitement had died down, I overheard the men theorizing about the performance (it's always the MEN).

"Did he ever touch the phone?" the other guy goes "NO!?"

They couldn't remember me touching the phone! Hee Hee!!
Great to hear Greg! It is good to hear if we get asked to repeat an effect, there are other apps out there that we can essentially do the same effect - but in a different manner. :)
AM now looking into full language support.

If there is anyone on here who wants to translate the english words in the app into your language please PM me to be considered and tell me which language you want to help with.

You MUST be able to translate accurately please and not just know the casual words or use an online translator. You will of course be credited in the app for your translation.

Please kindly PM me for more details.

Many thanks!
Are you putting this out on android?
What's the projected eta on the 1.1 update? being able to customize ones message will be awesome!
It has been uploaded to iTunes and I am just waiting for them to approve it so nearly there :)
Sorry Carlwag, nto immediate plans for Android. The reason being there are quite a few versions of the OS and they have different lockscreens, SMS UI, themes etc. It will be difficult to design the app to please everyone or not fair to make some change their look/customisation just for one trick. With the iPhone it is one consistant OS and look and interface.

Shame really as I am currently using Android as my daily phone myself.

Perhaps one day it will be done for Windows Phone 7 as that too has a consistant UI/OS.
When my contract is up I'll just have to get an iphone then.

Thanks anyway

Regards carl.
Good news...

Version 1.1 is now live on the app store. Go update if you own it or if you don't own it, now is a great time to purchase the improved Magic SMS.

In version 1.1 the default reply has been re-worded but the best part is you can now customise the reply to say whatever you want. Other tweaks added too!

Have fun!
I LOVE it...thanks Angelo

my default reads(from the lock)
Hi! Looks like you are doing some entertaining. So you're putting me to the test now? Glad to help you. I see we are thinking of a particular color and...

Thanks for the update....best magic app of 2010 for me!!! and 2011 so far
Angelo,

Looks good in ver 1.1
Now I can play this with my homeland language for my friend.
If the color name and the card can be set myself it will be the best.

Look for my ipod screenshot. I give a little hack ^^

http://www.flickr.com/photos/avenger/sets/72157625750336702/with/5325195491/

Bole Chen
Thanks Bole. Full language support is coming at some point, so even the slide to view and cards, colours and other texts will be changed.
Just brilliant! I love this trick
Thanks Murrari. Happy you are happy.

Just wanted to share a good sms reply owners could use in version 1.1, 2nd presentation.

"Hi Chris! Michael told me someone might be texting me at some point to test my psychic powers.So I believe you are thinking of a colour and a playing card. Well, I believe that the colour is Green and your card is the King of Diamonds. Am I right?"
Just modified the above reply which I think is now better:

[i]"Hi Chris! I was expecting a text from someone today as Michael told me he was going to put me to the test. Wants me to prove my psychic powers. :) Anyway I believe that you are thinking of a playing card. That card is the Four of Spades. I love your green jacket by the way ;-)" [/i] [Virtual psychic gets the credit]

[i]"Hi Chris! I see that Michael is performing some magic on you right now. Earlier today he sent me a prediction as a text. In it he said he was going to make you think of the colour Orange and the Eight of Hearts. Good isn't he?" [/i] [Performer gets the credit]

What other ideas or sms replies are being used?
I'm often asked what my thoughts are on other magicians. I can now say 'oooh I know David Blaine personally...would you like me to text him for you? I'll tell you what, let's see how good he is." I change "Simons" name to David Blaine and it works a treat!

My only worry at the moment is that three or four people have already pulled me up on it and said "smart phones these days all have voice recognition. So the phone recorded my colour and card and that's how it works" - its a shame, because the method is so much better than that! But I think to distract from voice recognition, I will be getting people to write down their cards and colours and perform it that way.

But definitely a great app....5 out of 5!
I always say to people who think 'voice recognition software' that it takes the software quite some time to 'learn' your voice so how on earth is it going to pick up on their voice and accent so quickly? Also, the earlier suggestion of writing it down would overcome this problem.
[quote]
On 2011-01-10 21:20, Angelo M Carbone wrote:
Just modified the above reply which I think is now better:

[i]"Hi Chris! I was expecting a text from someone today as Michael told me he was going to put me to the test. Wants me to prove my psychic powers. :) Anyway I believe that you are thinking of a playing card. That card is the Four of Spades. I love your green jacket by the way ;-)" [/i] [Virtual psychic gets the credit]

[i]"Hi Chris! I see that Michael is performing some magic on you right now. Earlier today he sent me a prediction as a text. In it he said he was going to make you think of the colour Orange and the Eight of Hearts. Good isn't he?" [/i] [Performer gets the credit]

What other ideas or sms replies are being used?
[/quote]

How could I get this to say "Hi(insert my name)!" and then get the spectators name in there too? Other than setting this up every time I wanted to perform it...this would make it customized for a certain person. But in a strolling situation, I think mine works better and the cut off on the home screen (see my post above) leaves them wanting to see the rest without giving anything away prematurely.
[quote]
On 2011-01-11 09:14, Flec wrote:
I'm often asked what my thoughts are on other magicians. I can now say 'oooh I know David Blaine personally...would you like me to text him for you? I'll tell you what, let's see how good he is." I change "Simons" name to David Blaine and it works a treat!

My only worry at the moment is that three or four people have already pulled me up on it and said "smart phones these days all have voice recognition. So the phone recorded my colour and card and that's how it works" - its a shame, because the method is so much better than that! But I think to distract from voice recognition, I will be getting people to write down their cards and colours and perform it that way.

But definitely a great app....5 out of 5!
[/quote]

Just have them pick the card (if you have cards) or whisper a card. With picking a card, you have a stronger performance (even you don't know the card) and NO "Voice Recognition".

Greg Rostami
[quote]
On 2011-01-13 16:32, magicmind wrote:

How could I get this to say "Hi(insert my name)!" and then get the spectators name in there too? Other than setting this up every time I wanted to perform it...this would make it customized for a certain person. But in a strolling situation, I think mine works better and the cut off on the home screen (see my post above) leaves them wanting to see the rest without giving anything away prematurely.
[/quote]

Magicmind, I am not sure exactly what you are asking. The only way to have what you wanted is to customise it for each performance. Can you give an example of what you FULL sms reply says please?
Mine reads:
Hi Chris! Looks like you are doing some entertaining. So you're putting me to the test now? Glad to help you. I see we are thinking of a particular color and... **unlock** a playing card. Well, I've been thinking very hard about this. I believe "Yellow" and Ace of Clubs have been thought of by your friend. Call me next week and we'll do lunch .

How could I get this to say "Hi (spectators name here)!" Looks like (performers name) is doing some entertaining. (Michael in your example) without setting this up custom each time? As YOU posted above on Jan. 10 @ 9:20PM??????
Other than setting this up every time I wanted to perform it...this would make it customized for a certain person. But in a strolling situation, I think mine works better and the cut off on the home screen (text before the *unlock* above) leaves them wanting to see the rest without giving anything away prematurely.
This gives more time to build the excitement for the reveal. Agree?
Hey magicmind. Sorry for the delayed reply.

I think I understand what you are saying but alas the only way to customise the name is to input it yourself before the performance if you know who you are going to perform it to. Otherwise just leave your custom reply more generic so it could apply to anyone.
Too bad this app (and many others) can't be used for Androids. I like how I can customize my Android phone, but when it comes to these cool magic aps there seems to be a clear advantage to having everyone's look the same.
Hi James!

I would love to port Magic SMS over to Android but because there are a few versions out there (pre 2.1, then 2.2 and 2.3 HTC Sense and Nexus styles etc) it would be hard to make the trick work for all styles and unfair to ask the user to change a theme, skin or look to fit an app.

The reason IOS was chosen was because of the consistant and identical look no matter which version on. WP7 is also standard in appearance.

:)
A great positive review of Magic SMS is in this month's MAGIC magazine. To sum up the review:

[i]"Magic SMS represents a real leap forward in the development of iPhone magic, in terms of its natural feel, its hands-off nature and the huge range of choices it allows a spectator to make. If you have an iPhone and like magic, even just a little bit, you should buy it."[/i]
Now featured on London's LBC Radio website as the 'Magic App of the Year'
http://www.lbc.co.uk/the-gadget-gurus-best-new-apps-2011-37007

and also in FHM Magazine's Friday Newsletter:
Own an iPhone? We've got ten download codes to give away for the genuinely brilliant (we'd NEVER lie to you) Magic SMS app. It's simple, it's elegant and according to Derren Brown, "beautifully thought through". According to FHM, it'll "make anyone who's had more than two pints in the pub go absolutely batshit crazy".
Just a heads up. Update 1.2 is around the corner. :)
[quote]
On 2011-04-07 20:55, Angelo M Carbone wrote:
Just a heads up. Update 1.2 is around the corner. :)
[/quote]

How much longer on 1.2 ? :D

Got a second app in the works?
1.2 should be uploaded to iTunes in the next day or so for approval. :)

No second app in the works. Sadly magic apps do not do well. Games do.
Owners of the app will know that your virtual psychic friend takes credit for the magic in Magic SMS. If however YOU want to be the one who takes the credit for the magic, then here is a possible presentation idea:

Say that earlier today you made a prediction and texted it to a close friend. In a moment you will text your friend again to forward that SMS prediction back to you but before doing so, ask your spectator to think of a colour and playing card. Then text your friend saying [i]"Hey can you forward my SMS prediction to me. The one I sent you earlier. Thanks!"[/i] The reply comes back as:[i]"This text message is a new form of prediction and was made on the 21st April 2011. I Angelo Carbone, have predicted that a colour and playing card has been freely thought of. They are the colour Green and the Seven of Hearts."[/i] Just make sure you enter your full name instead of just your first name in the settings page.

If you want your spectator to take the credit for the magic, then in your patter say that last night you dreamt you were painting the ceiling of Buckingham Palace and you accidentally knocked over a tin of paint. It went all over their expensive carpet. As you looked at the paint on the floor it visually formed into a jumbo playing card. Such a bizarre dream. Ask your spectator to guess what colour the paint was and what card the paint formed into. When they tell you their guess, act surprised and ask how on earth did they know? Say they are absolutely right and say nothing else. When they tell you they don't believe you, say that you will prove it. Say that you called your friend earlier today telling them about the dream and told them everything and that your friend will confirm it. Pick up your iPhone and text your friend saying [i]"Hey remember the dream I told you about? What colour was the paint and what was the card?"[/i] The reply will say: [i]"Hey Angelo! Yes that was one strange dream you had last night. Remind me not to ask for your help if I need some painting done :) The paint you said you knocked over was Green and the card it formed into was the Seven of Hearts."[/i]
Ok version 1.2 is now live so if you have the app already go update. If you don't have the app, now is a good time to purchase it as for a limited time only there is a discount of a 1/3rd off retail price.

New update supports 12 hour lockscreen clock so US users should be very happy. Other minor tweaks too!

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/magic-sms/id409372560?mt=8
Any chance of a droid app?
Hi!

As an Android user myself I would love to have Magic SMS on Android but with so many different versions and skins to contend with, it would be very difficult. Also, unfortunately, magic apps don't make a lot of money.
LOVE this! Just got it. Easy to remember, easy to set up and customize depending on your style and presentation. Devastating effect.

First time I tried it, the person good-naturedly REFUSED to tell me her color and card even after she'd sent the text. I had already set it up that my psychic friend might not even be there. So when the return text came through, I just picked up the phone, looked at the message preview and said, "Oh. Not right now. Maybe later," and put the phone away. Easy. Because my psychic friend is in a time zone two hours earlier and this was early a.m. at breakfast.

Next time I tried it, after setting it up conversationally about this psychic friend who's amazing, I just asked them to name a color and then name a card. THEN I pulled out my phone and handed it to them for them to turn on, and went on from there.

For me, anyway, it's actually smoother that way, rather than having them just think of a color and card, then after they've sent their text message, asking them to tell me. Nobody (so far) has even thought about "voice recognition" playing a part, since the phone was off and in my pocket when they told me their color and card.

Inevitably, they or someone else in a group wants to try it again. I just quietly demur and say, "No, no. It's not a parlor game. I don't like to bother him much. I just wanted you to see what he can do."

When they ask if they can contact him for a reading, I offer to email him later and see if he's accepting any new clients. For some reason, he never is.

GREAT WORK! THANKS!
Just another variation of the presentation. For me, anyway, it's the most devastating yet.

After the conversational setup, I just ask them to name a card. NO COLOR.

Then I take my iPhone out of my pocket and proceed from there. Never touching it except when they turn it on, swipe, and see the Passcode screen. I just reach out for it and enter my real Passcode, then proceed from there.

While we wait for my psychic friend to text back, "if he's even there," and talk of other things, they sometimes ask why I use a Passcode. I explain how if the phone is stolen, somebody can get all their contact names and all the other info on the phone. "A lot of people don't use one, but you really should, for security."

Then, when the text comes in from my psychic friend, it's: "Oh, you enter it. You're not gonna steal my phone, are you?" And I give them the code, which they enter.

My distant psychic friend's correctly naming their thought-of card is jaw-dropping enough.

But when he adds, "That blue looks GREAT on you," they SCREAM and go bananas!

Just wish there were an option for "PLAID."
Thanks Roberto for your idea and feedback. Always good to hear of ideas from others.

Appreciated.
After all the great reviews, I finally purchased this! I am glad I did! There are so many possibilities! The iForce app and Magic SMS BOTH are the two best out there...possibilities are endless!
Thanks for the kind words about iForce Fred.

Greg Rostami
Anyone still performing this? What kind of reactions are you getting?
Oh, yeah! I perform it very often. The reactions are great! This is within my top 3 or 4 most fav magic apps....all depends on the situation.
Great to hear! :)
Just got it last night, it's really good and well thought Angelo, even the way you teach us how to memorize is very thoughtful!
This is an app that is a must even I live in Indonesia with Indonesian language :D
Thanks mister! I wanted the memorisation part to be very easy. Glad you are happy!
Holiday Sale!

For a limited time only you can now purchase Magic SMS at the lowest price. If you don't already have it why not download the app that Derren Brown and David Blaine think is the best magic app.

Happy New Year!
I just downloaded this app two nights ago, based on the reviews above - and I have to say this is, without question, the best magic app I've ever gotten (and I've gone through about 12 now, including MENTAL KILLER, which I think is very good). This is spectacularly brilliant - from being able to change the text message to the pneumonic device Angelo gives you to memorize the colors. It literally took me a few minutes to memorize the whole thing. Terrific. I think if you really personalize that text (ie. "Hey, (NAME OF MAGICIAN). How's (wife's name, son's name, someone)? Why are you bothering me at work with this bulls**t? I'm trying to make a living here! But whatever - I think the color your friend is thinking of is (COLOR), and the playing card is definitely (CARD). Now leave me alone! See you soon, buddy."

There is only ONE question I have. This trick can be ABSOLUTELY, COMPLETELY hands off IF you didn't have to "turn off" the screen yourself after sending the text. Is there any way for the mark to type in the text, close the program, answer the phone, and then put in the code to open the phone - without the magician EVER having to touch the phone even ONCE?! I would love to know if it's possible. And if so, how? Thanks!
I was wondering if anyone has tried to ask your spectator to write down their choices and used any peeking method to make it more impossible
@ tvhobby: Glad you like it and thanks for the compliment on it. Please tell all your friends and leave a review on itunes as my app is lost among the thousands of apps on the app store. Unfortunately, the magician does have to turn off the phone but I don't think that is a bad thing as it is such an innocent and meaningless action. Goes by unnoticed.

@ ken: Yes I have done this. I even give the spectator a choice to write down any playing card on a piece of paper with a choice of any one of nine coloured marker pens. I ask them to do this openly. The SMS prediction them says something like "I believe you have been asked to think of any playing card and write it down. Well, the card you wrote down is the Queen of Spades and you used the blue pen to write it."
Angelo,
is any plan support Chinese on next version?

Bole Chen
Hello Bole!

Sadly there will be no further language supports for Magic SMS.

Sorry Bole!

Angelo
I love this app! I think of all the magic apps that are out there this one is by far the best value for money. I personally like to use a mxxxxd deck and have also made up 10 colour cards using blank faced bikes with an opposing back to the regular deck, these are also mxxxxd. I then have the spectator choose a colour and value card and place them face down and have the text come through with the correct predictions
That is a cool idea! Not having the spectator name their selections makes for an even stronger routine.

Would love if those who are happy with the trick would kindly leave a review on itunes app store.

Thanks!
Dear Angelo,

It is truly sad to hear that there will be no further chinese language supports for the color and the name of the cards. Is there any way we can help to make it come true?

Perl Lee
I perform this many times. Great reactions. I am from Holland and language is no problem. I tell them that I lived in USA or Britain and have lots of friends there.
I just bought it and I accidently exited out before reading the instructions. Now when I turn the app on there's a weird screen. How do I get the explanation back on?
Hi Ted!

Tap the top left app icon when you launch the app.

Angelo
The problem is, is that there are so many languages in the world that if I update for some languages it is not fair on the others. Am stuck!
Is this on android?
[quote]
On 2012-06-30 01:03, langston3711 wrote:
Is this on android?
[/quote]

Alas this is not on Android. Only for iPhone.
Magic SMS is now FREE for a limited time. Get it quick before it goes back on sale.
[quote]
On 2012-08-02 18:45, Angelo Carbone wrote:
Magic SMS is now FREE for a limited time. Get it quick before it goes back on sale.
[/quote]

Thanks! Just grabbed it!
Hi how do you guys handle the situation when another real sms comes in suddenly half way during the trick or reveal, and the spectator sees it)? If you switch the phone to airplane mode there will be a plane symbol on top. If you have the do not disturb mode, messages can still come in. Any way to stop real messages from coming in? Thanks!!

Dan
Hello, I don t have this app but I have an iPhone. With iOS 6 you can customize the notifications and remove the sounds, badges and banner in settings for the sms app. Hope this helps :)
It's in settings/notifications than you scroll down to "SMS" and remove the banner and sound
Hi Er1tro! Thank you! That's a great way to fix it :) cheers!
Buying app now thank you everyone!
Shame this app has been abandoned it was a really great app but you can't do this on anyone that owns an iPhone anymore because it uses the ios4 SMS notifications and we are now on iOS 6. I was able to get away with it for a while on IOS 5 by explaining that I didn't upgrade because my phone is jailbroken but most iPhone users today are so used to the IOS 5/6 style notifications that the app gets busted straight away.
Hi Paul,

I don't have an iPhone but the latest iPodtouch with IOS 6 on it. I have been performing SMS on my old iPodtouch 3g IOS4 for sometime and haven't noticed any difference with the notifications screen between the two iPodtouches.

If you feel that the app has been abandoned, I would suggest contacting Angelo Carbone, who came up with the app and see if he is planning or already has made amendments for the discrepancy.

Where are you based in Essex? I'm the secretary of the MID Essex Magical Society and we meet near Chelmsford. If you're local to us, pop in sometime.

All the best

Michael
Hi Michael, I'm Mark not Paul,
There is a good reason that you haven't noticed a difference between the SMS notifications on your iPod running IOS4 vs the SMS notifications on your iPod running IOS6. The iPod is not a phone and has no receiver so has no native SMS notifications. The ones you are seeing on both devices are the fake IOS 4 notifications from Magic SMS. The whole notification system was redesigned for IOS 5 and now looks nothing like those in IOS 4 or magic SMS and hasn't looked like that since 2011.

With the app having not having been updated since IOS 4 and the iphone being on IOS 6 despite the key part of Magic SMS becoming obsolete in 2011 it is fair to say the app has been abandoned. Hats off to you for getting away with it on an ipod, alas the audiences I tend to perform for are fairly tech savvy and so I'd be hard pushed to not get busted using an ipod unless the app looked like imessages rather than SMS messages.

I'm in Basildon so as long as parking isn't difficult I'd be glad to pop in to the MID Essex society, let me know when and where you guys meet.

Mark
Hi Mark,

My apologies for calling you Paul. Thanks for the explanation regarding the difference in SMS notifications. I've PM'd you reference our meeting place.

All the best

Michael
Hi all!

Since Apple changed the whole UI so to speak, a total redesign for the app is required. I never made a lot of money with the app and my developer wants to charge to redesign the UI elements. I have to weigh up the pros and cons to see if it is worthwhile. The updated version would benefit those who already have the app but would I get any new purchases from the update to recoup the new development cost? Maybe I should look at it like this: for under £2 customers have had fun performing it for a couple of years. That is great value.

An alternative option is my developer will sell me the code and maybe I could find someone to make the changes for free.

The sad truth is, I am not sure it is worth me paying to get the new version done, if the only users that will benefit are existing owners so I can not make the cost back. My app is a hidden app. Its not an app someone would say "oh wow that is a cool app... what's it called I want to download it?" This is because it is designed to not look like an app and therefore Magic SMS cannot self promote itself. By making a great magic trick that is hidden, I have shot myself in the foot in terms of sales.

Not sure what to do.
I really want to write a rant and rave......... but I am biting my tongue!!

My loyalty now resides with Greg Rostami and his 'Ipredict Pro'.
You are not in my shoes and I presume you don't know how much time and money goes into making an app. If an existing user paid £9.99 for an app I would still support it. The fact is the app was around £1.79 and the app lasted over two years. In fact it still works for many users.
Angelo,
I would gladly pay the £1.79 again for an updated version, maybe call it magic SMS 2 iOS 6 edition. Either that or let us know the dev costs and maybe a bunch of us could send you donations to cover it.

Mark
For the money needed to donate to cover costs, it would make far more sense to look into buying Ipredict Pro.

Also so much more you can achieve as you are not just tied to SMS messages.

Ian.
That is fine Ian. For the record I did not request donations and it never entered my mind. It was merely suggested in this thread. A kind thought.
I never said that you did?
Am just saying.
Angelo, it's a fantastic app. Keep us posted
I blame Apple for updating the OS and changing the graphics :P
The app doesn't support iphone5. I hope you can overcome your problems and hopefully the next version will support iphone5. I just bought it yesterday and I can't wait to use it on my iPhone5. It just that good!
Ok I have decided to update this for iOS7. However, because I need to go to a new developer, I would need to have it done from scratch. This means I will have to charge again to recoup the development costs. Sadly it won't be a free upgrade. This is the only way to get an iOS7 version. To charge, or not release it at all.

If I was the developer I would provide it free however I did not know how to code and thus someone else has to do it and they won't do it for free for me. ;-)

Thanks for your patience and support with Magic SMS.

Angelo
Angelo, as I said in my email to you last week...I will re- purchase this as soon as it is available! Thanks for the news!
What will be the price?
Awesome awesome awesome
I can't say how much yet because I don't know how much it is costing me yet. Will know nearer the time. It will not be astronomical though don't worry!
Count me in.

Mark
Angelo, I am very happy to hear this news! I'll be the first to say that this is a better design than iPredict. There are some nuances that make all the difference. I'd hate to lose the ability to do it.
Wow... this is what I get for not reading through to the last page of this post! I literally just purchased the app and "ASSummed" it was compatible with ios7. Having read earlier posts I jumped in and bought it! I know it's only 3 bucks but I still feel cheated! Oh well.
I am sorry you feel cheated. It DOES say in the ad description on itunes that it is not compatible with ios7. Perhaps you can ask Apple for a refund. Try it!
Any developments Angelo? Huge fan of this app!
It is currently being created again (from scratch). More news when I get it. :)
Just checked back here to see if a new version was in the making. Angelo, I apologize. I didn't mean to insinuate that you cheated me. It was definitely my fault. I chose the wrong words. Look forward to the new version.

Happy New Year!
Not a problem! Happy New Year to you too! :)
Magic SMS iOS7 version..... SOOOO CLOSE :carrot: :dancing: :banana: :bigdance: :cucumber: :pepper:
I'm looking forward to it!
The new ios7 version, for the first time ever will support languages. It will initially support the following languages:

Italian
French
Spanish
German
Dutch
Swedish

I need help for the instructions to be translated in the above languages. If you are willing for me to send you the instructions and are willing to translate, please message me only. You will receive credit and a copy of the app for free. First come first serve alas.

Many thanks!

Angelo
Great to see this Angelo. Congratlations!
Hi any one know if its been released in the Australian app store cant seem to find it :(

CS
Pm sended Angelo.
[quote]
On Mar 15, 2014, Casey Sparrow wrote:
Hi any one know if its been released in the Australian app store cant seem to find it :(

CS
[/quote]
The new iOS7 version hasn't been released anywhere yet.
The app is virtually done. The only thing holding it back from release is getting the translations done for the instructions which has started to happen :-)
I can support for french version.
Thanks Oly but French is almost done. :)
Good news! The iOS 7 version is finished and will be uploaded to iTunes in the next day or so. I have created a Facebook group if you want to join to get the latest news and share ideas and routines.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/734692059898824/
Magic SMS 2 has been uploaded and is awaiting review. Fingers crossed!
Not present in apps tore 4/23. Abandoned?
No it's not abandoned. It is still in review with Apple. They are taking very long to approve it.
Should be on the Appstore tommorow!

I'll let Angelo have the pleasure of sharing the new features with you all!

Get pumped!
It's available :-)
Not here it isn't.
No it is not 😊

It has been approved but a bug fix has been applied. Any day now 😊
Just bought MagicSMS2.. Great apps! I love it! I'm sure everybody here will love it as well..

Perfectly done Mr. Angelo Carbone
Thank you Dan but it shouldn't be officially available yet as there is an anti-piracy glitch due to the recent 7.1 update. An app update has been submitted to fix this glitch and then the app will be available. I guess somehow you got lucky with your purchase. So glad you like it.
I really like it :) Well I can't use this yet because of the glitch. So I have to wait like everybody else. But yeah I do feel lucky I can see it now before the release.
Well at least you can practice a lot while you wait for the update ;-)
Magic SMS 2 its available with the error fixed.
Forgive me if this has been asked already, but will this be making an appearance on Android devices?
Sadly not Rob purely because Android has so many looks to their Lock screen, messaging UI, it would be impossible to cater for all of them.
Yes MAGIC SMS 2 for iOS7 is ready to download now. Supports English, French, Italian and Spanish for now. Forthcoming updates will support German, Swedish, Dutch and Russian.

As it was created from scratch it is essentially a new app and I had to charge for it again. Blame Apple for changing the entire look of the OS. My old developer had no time to work on a new version so I had to find someone new to do it. If the original app cost a lot, it would have been a free update, but it was only £2 to cover four years of use. I could not have updated a low cost app for free. Hope you understand. If you like the app, please review and share with your friends on social networks. :)

You can download it here: https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/magic-sms-2/id857845564?ls=1&mt=8
Do you have to be on face book be on internet or put anything on the spec's phone,in other words can it all be done your own phone please? with no connection to anybody?.
Hi Fire Starter!

You do not need an internet connection.
You do not need to put anything on a spectator's phone.
No need to be on Facebook.
No real text messages are sent. No carrier charges.
No in App Purchases.
No adverts.
Everything can be done on your phone and that's all you need.

Hope this helps.

Angelo
[quote]On May 2, 2014, Angelo Carbone wrote:
Hi Fire Starter!

You do not need an internet connection.
You do not need to put anything on a spectator's phone.
No need to be on Facebook.
No real text messages are sent. No carrier charges.
No in App Purchases.
No adverts.
Everything can be done on your phone and that's all you need.

Hope this helps.

Angelo [/quote]
Wow thank's for the rapid reply I am now off to download it, will give a reveiw when I have played with it all the best Shane
Duplicate post ,please ignore
Search for magic SMS 2 or go to magic SMS 1 and view other apps by the developer.
It's up and working. Great app. Lot's of fun. :)
Looks good just got to wade through the instructions and hope I can work it,lol.