(Close Window)
Topic: Psypher - How are You Using It?
Café members-

If you have used your Psypher for awhile, I'm just curious which of the Psypher routines are your favorites so far?

Personally I do the cardbox (variation) and the Impression Wallet often - and I am now working on the Name and card Routine which to me looks to be the knockout of the effects on the DVD. I never ask if any ink rubbed off on the box or the wallet - other than that I like the routines a lot and I always get good im*******ns.

I find that the Impression Wallet seems to have a bigger "wow" factor with spectators as it is more of a mentalism effect if performed well.

I'm sure many are doing their own thing with Psypher but I would be very curious to hear how Café members are using this ridiculously fantastic effect from the genius mind of B. Smith.
I love this effect but my im********s are not very strong. Any suggestions out there for making them stronger?
A few good ideas here:

1) CRITICAL: The gimmick for the im******n has a clear plastic "protective sticker" at the front (gray) side. That needs to be removed for best effect. The DVD not the directions mention this but it is mentioned in earlier threads. Get rid of it - it will easily peel away just like the plastic that would protect a piece of chrome or a new dishwasher, etc.

2) Make sure the pen was set right as per the DVD - small taps - so that you set it right, without going too deep.

3) Audience management: Make sure you ask the spectator to hold the pen and card-box/wallet/pad "UP SO THAT I CAN'T SEE THE WAY YOUR PEN IS MOVING OR WRITING" (as mentioned by B. Smith in the DVD). This is prety key I have found - If the spec put the gimmick flat and then starts writing at a hard angle, you definitely will NOT get a good im*******n. You need to make certain the spec has to almost write at an unnatural angle - pretty close to straight on if possible. I have almost no trouble with this as I mention to hold the deck or wallet up higher so I can't see the way they are writing. Sometimes people laugh a bit when I say this, but if they aren't listening ...I look at them and say I can see their pen moving - so hold the deck/wallet and pen higher. This results in a more straight on and clear im******n.

4) I always try to give an extra "prep" to the gray side (im******n side) of the gimmick before a performance. I use a mag*** to prep the gray side completely, then erase. This seems to train the fibers/filings (or whatever it is) to work more effectively.

5) Make sure you ask the spec to write clearly - as they see the name, etc in their mind - I also mention see the name in block letters. Be careful about who you choose too - I have made the mistake of picking people who purposely write small or messy (Doctors!) and I now try to choose the right (or should I say write!) person based on my sense at the moemnt.

With these bits you should be getting everything you need and more. Enjoy.

BRETT
I use the card box and for preshow.

Decomp
Thanks so much Saysold1. Much appreciated!
I use a variation of the card box version which is soo deceptive that nobody ever will have a clue how it is done. Gets great reactions all the time!
I don't reveal a card but an image like B. Smith does with the impression pad because revealing an image is much more stronger and impossible than a card. As I have no paper etc. to write on, I pretend having to take a card for this. Nobody ever wondered why I don't just draw on the card box as the spectator did. If so you could just tell the spec that you want to give him the card as a give-away at the end.
Another good thing using a card box is that people are familiar with it after you did card tricks before, so just a little deck switch and you're ready to go and it all feels natural.
Hi I have allways had problems with the i£$£^^%$^$££, I have done all I am supposed to, but 90% its ok.
I don't use the wallet as I feel it just looks so unnatural, its like, "why have you got this small plastic wallet on you??etc"
BUT with the card box I have come up with a little routine.
I say its to do with being able to see through lies and that I will be able to sence if you are telling me the truth.
I get the 'card' they have wrriten down..I then say I am going to put all the cards into there suits, which I 99% do...With four plies infront of me I ask them to say 'no' at every question I ask... pointing at the heart I say'is this your suit?' and so on. one by one I get rid of each suit until I have one left ( but, it is the wrong suit!) Then I split the card A-7 and 8-K ask again, is your card in this pile...Until I have only two (incorrect hards) left.... A bit of speak about how I know where there lies have been and I know there card...I point to one of the cards and say..'this is your card' they of course say no, I'm saying no, no don't lie anymore...they will laugh and say they are not, its not there card.....
so I ask them to pick it up to check.....there card is underneath!
Now I know not roket scince, but it my first routine I have every come up with....
Be gentle!
Cool- the idea is similar to the "Lie Detector" routine using a M****d deck - found in "The Ultimate Marked Deck Companion Book" by Damien Vappereau & Jean-Marc Gaheri. Page 40. Fantastic book btw.
Thanks Saysold1, I will have to look that up. I know the idea could have not been an origonal one, but was pleased with myself all the same!
Your idea may be original - the Lie Detector routine has a similar premise but it is different in that it doesn't use the suits at all (as you mention) but rather the chosen card + 4 random cards chosen by the spectator set face up.

The magician asks if that is their card, and the spectator always answers "yes, that is my card" every time.
I've used it once in a show and killed with it; however, in practice I find the quality of the imp* is rather weak. No doubt the pen needs to be adjusted right, but different people use different pressure. This one is a little too temperamental for me which is a shame. I wonder if the Bich pad is any more reliable?
[quote]
On 2011-01-10 16:01, magicreviews wrote:
I've used it once in a show and killed with it; however, in practice I find the quality of the imp* is rather weak. No doubt the pen needs to be adjusted right, but different people use different pressure. This one is a little too temperamental for me which is a shame. I wonder if the Bich pad is any more reliable?
[/quote]

Have you removed the clear protective plastic strip on the imp side?
Do you need to buy replacements for this, or will the "certain something" last a very long time?
Great tips above by Brett to get good imp********. A few other tips: as the dvd states, you could thin out the b**; correct calibration is definately necessary; prepare the gimmick to the light side upward (as opposed to the darker being visible); and make sure if using the b** method, make sure it is full or close to it. I've been getting great imp********.
During a recent performance, I used the business card wallet on a woman, and I swear I thought she was going to faint when I revealed the name. Seriously, she was sort of swaying on her feet, and I asked if she needed a drink or a sit-down. Weird experience, but two people asked me for my business card after that!
I once saw David Acer perform his Six Person Shuffle in a club, a trick I'd read about, but not appreciated enough, in one of his books. I soon adapted the idea into something a bit more me, and used something other than playing cards.

Since getting Psypher I've gone back to the original playing card idea for a few shows (for the few grown-up audiences I've had lately). David Acer's routine involves having six people choose playing cards and then an audience member choosing one of those people. That person's card matches a previously handed out prediction.

With Psypher, I've seemingly taken everything out of my own control. I have a spectator write down a playing card on a post-it note. I then force their card amongst the six chosen cards, and the rest follows similarly to Six Person Shuffle.

Incidentally, I've done a little brainstorming and toying with how to stealthily get the card ready for forcing, but so far have found that simple patter gives me an excuse to look through the cards as I casually shuffle them about.
I used UI, Pyspher's first iteration, at Christmas to do an invisible deck routine but had the spec write down a card, tear off the paper and hold on to it for proof should the trick work. I then go on about having a dream the last night that they did a trick with me and wrote down a card. I say that I woke up and in the dark, pulled out one card and turned it over in the deck by my bed. You can figure out the rest. Fantastic reactions and universally voted best trick of the night...
[quote]
On 2011-01-20 14:02, Kaliix wrote:
I used UI, Pyspher's first iteration, at Christmas to do an invisible deck routine but had the spec write down a card, tear off the paper and hold on to it for proof should the trick work. I then go on about having a dream the last night that they did a trick with me and wrote down a card. I say that I woke up and in the dark, pulled out one card and turned it over in the deck by my bed. You can figure out the rest. Fantastic reactions and universally voted best trick of the night...
[/quote]

Cool - so you are placing the imp portion into the ID pack?

And then leave it in the lack or take it out and then put it back in (Joker method)?

Or are you using 2 separate packs?
I almost always use the card packet and make sure to tell the person to write big and clearly so that every one else can see what they wrote when we are done!
I've been doing the card/wallet routine quite a bit lately and I always get a nice strong imp.

Based on informal feedback people tell me the Psypher routines are some of the most memorable/powerful pieces they have seen me do.

Psypher is still a winner...
Saysold...lol...

Oh boy. I almost didn't post this because I have an aversion to looking stupid.

I love Psypher...but had no idea why the impressions were so inconsistent. And I am reading your post and thinking..."There's a plastic coat???"

Oh boy.

...**sigh**

Thank you for posting that. Now let's just keep the fact that I didn't know there was one our little secret, shall we?

.....oh. Too late.

**sigh**

David
[quote]
On 2011-02-01 14:21, David Thiel wrote:
Saysold...lol...

Oh boy. I almost didn't post this because I have an aversion to looking stupid.

I love Psypher...but had no idea why the impressions were so inconsistent. And I am reading your post and thinking..."There's a plastic coat???"

Oh boy.

...**sigh**

David - please don't be so hard on yourself my man!

Look, there is ZERO mention of that extra plastic protective covering in the DVD nor anywhere else - I discovered it and mentioned it on the main Psypher thread some months back and most have found that it helps a lot - one less layer right?

Mandy at Papercrane confirmed that removing the plastic was something they knew about and was in fact a good idea.

I hope all who own Psypher feel that cr*p off so they can get more consistent imp :)

Thank you for posting that. Now let's just keep the fact that I didn't know there was one our little secret, shall we?

.....oh. Too late.

**sigh**

David
[/quote]
Posted: Feb 5, 2011 1:45am
I have found from experimenting that I always get a much stronger/clearer imp when I prep the entire from of the gimmick (dark), then erase the back to clear - doing this before a performance - especially when the gimmick hasn't been used in awhile.

BRETT
I like this kind of im*******n device, but I'd like to find a larger gimmick. Do you know where I can find it? I've tried to find something like that on the web, but with no success. I found other stuff, but it's different. The idea is similar, but not the same. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Bye.
The Paper Crane site has imp gimmicks up to 8x10. That's pretty big even for stage.
[quote]
On 2011-02-25 15:25, crestfallenLyric wrote:
The Paper Crane site has imp gimmicks up to 8x10. That's pretty big even for stage.
[/quote]

Ahhhhh.... just saw it. Thanks ;)
Maybe a little expensive, but now I know that it is available.
Anyway, maybe, I found an item that has the same material inside, always 8 X 10 (what a coincidence...), that costs around $ 30. Not sure, but I think I'm on the right way ;)
Thanks for your help!
Bye.
[quote]
On 2011-02-25 16:27, mich77 wrote:
[quote]
On 2011-02-25 15:25, crestfallenLyric wrote:
[/quote]

Ahhhhh.... just saw it. Thanks ;)
Maybe a little expensive, but now I know that it is available.
Anyway, maybe, I found an item that has the same material inside, always 8 X 10 (what a coincidence...), that costs around $ 30. Not sure, but I think I'm on the right way ;)
Thanks for your help!
Bye.
[/quote]

That's awesome! Where did you find this?
[quote]That's awesome! Where did you find this?
[/quote]

I don't know if it is the same material for sure, but I thinks, or maybe hope, so ;)
Probably is not fair to tell you what I found, because, by answering to your question, probably I could expose part of the method :(
Hope you understand...
Anyway I didn't find the pad, but a product that has it inside. It's a product for.... coach! A little clue :)
Bye.
You can Google search for the kind of material that MAY be similar - possibly not the exact same stuff. Not hard to find.

I think better to support the creators like B. Smith and Papercrane.
[quote]
On 2011-02-25 17:42, saysold1 wrote:
You can Google search for the kind of material that MAY be similar - possibly not the exact same stuff. Not hard to find.
[/quote]

It's not so simple. I've done a long search and at last I found an item that, maybe, uses the same material, but it takes a while.
I don't how this stuff is named, but I don't know it. With a name, the search should have been faster and easier.

[quote]I think better to support the creators like B. Smith and Papercrane.
[/quote]

Absolute right! But, for me, supporting them, means buying from them their magic stuff, their ideas. A refill is something different and if the same product is available elsewhere and if I can save money, what is the problem? I don't think this is unfair.
After all, the same material has been used also for other magic stuff ;)
Bye.
I tell the volunteer to just think of a card and write it on a well placed post it note. Then he takes the post it note, SHOWS it to the audience (my excuse for getting him to write it down) then folds it up and puts it in his pocket. I draw the cards out of the pack and, after ensuring he didn't pick the joker (you guys know why...) I fan the cards on my table in three rows and have the volunteer slowly pass his hand over them...

I put my hand on his wrist as he passes it over the cards and eliminate them until we are left with only three. I pretend to be about to choose the wrong one and then change my mind and pick the right one.

I use Psypher for this...or the Riggs Butterfly. To my mind it's the same difference.

David
Nice one David - I like that whole idea a lot and I am not familar with this premise. Thanks for sharing it. I'm assuming you widdle the 3 spread piles to 2 then one...and the begin removing cards..right?
Yes. Depending on the audience it can be quite dramatic. Sometimes I don't take my eyes away from the spectator's when I know I am nowhere near their card.

Sometimes it can be played for laughs too.

Sometimes I make it look like I am reading their thoughts through the way they move their hands over the cards with my hand on their wrists.

I like Psypher a lot.

Obviously.

David

PS: I like it a whole lot better now that you told me about removing the plastic sheet from the pad. Great clear impressions now. Go figure, huh?
[quote]
On 2011-02-25 19:11, David Thiel wrote:
I tell the volunteer to just think of a card and write it on a well placed post it note. Then he takes the post it note, SHOWS it to the audience (my excuse for getting him to write it down) then folds it up and puts it in his pocket. I draw the cards out of the pack and, after ensuring he didn't pick the joker (you guys know why...) I fan the cards on my table in three rows and have the volunteer slowly pass his hand over them...

I put my hand on his wrist as he passes it over the cards and eliminate them until we are left with only three. I pretend to be about to choose the wrong one and then change my mind and pick the right one.

I use Psypher for this...or the Riggs Butterfly. To my mind it's the same difference.

David
[/quote]

Have you ever tried using blank cards and doing everything face down, a la I Dream of Mindreading? I have been thinking of doing something to that effect.
That is a wonderful idea. I am going to think about this!

David
Blank cards and everything face down? Can you explain a bit more?

Btw, David, I love that routine! :)
You guys are having absolute brainstorms on this stuff!

Blank cards would be cool - Rider backs, blank faces - cool.

OK but with blank cards wouldn't that preclude the use of the "Oh, you didn't pick the Joker did you?" concept?

You would have to keep the Joker in the box after the p**k, yes? No big deal.

I was also thinking of how I could use Psypher and the deck but utilizing perhaps my Bicycle UMD in some combination? I haven't thought of how yet but maybe it would be interesting to not only reveal the thought of card - but also to reveal it without looking at the faces at all? The UMD would need to be set up almost like a BW deck (the pencil marks part).
So after succeed reading their thought, you also succeed locate their card from a face down deck?

I think that's too much for the spectator to chew. You can't have two main courses in a dinner. That's a saying anyway :)
Here's some strangeness for you.

TWO times I have used Psypher and gotten NO IMP******* AT ALL. Nada. Not even a hint. And yes: for SURE I had the post-it note positioned properly (you guys know what I mean) and yes, I used the right pen. But there was nothing at all. Most of the time it peforms flawlessly.

I have tried to duplicate this with a very light touch, moving the pen on it's side. Even using faint pressure, I still get the results I want.

I cannot figure out why it has failed. Both times I used the Invisible Deck as an "out."

But has this happened to anyone else?

David
This happened to me 2 times! It happened because they DID NOT write on the Imp.
Alright well I tend to agree about the 2 main courses - I'm trying to think out of the box on this but guess I'm trying too hard :)

As far as no imp, when its happened to me (extremely rare) I have found that either:

1) The imp material was facing the wrong way - white side out. Duh! Note to self... Check equipment before using :)

2) The spectator wrote at a hard angle most likely. That can create problems so I ALWAYS do as B. Smith says on the DVD and ask them to hold the card box HIGH up so I can't see their pen moving. I usually have to ask them to go even higher then they start out initially...forcing them to almost write uncomfortably which creates a better image.
Or, you gave them the wrong pen :P
True - so true.

I put a strong ink pen dot at the end of my Psypher pens (top looking down)so I knowv them immediately by sight.
Wrap tape around the pen and with a Sharpie write "Psypher Pen" in big, bold, letters.

Makes as much sense as a pen that says "Magic Marker".

:rotf:
[quote]
On 2011-02-28 09:55, Dr. Magic wrote:
Wrap tape around the pen and with a Sharpie write "Psypher Pen" in big, bold, letters.

Makes as much sense as a pen that says "Magic Marker".

:rotf:
[/quote]

HA! Now you're thinking!

David
HI All,

Been using this routine for a long time now. I use the post it note to get the imp of a playing card. As most of you mention, removing the joker to check this wasn't the thought of card. As I am a mind reader, I count from Ace to King and look for their reactions, then say the colours and suit. I say that sometimes I get it wrong and If I do get the wrong card they are not to tell me what their card is. I find their card, place it second from the top and pick a second card which is close to their thought of card which goes on top. I perform a double lift, revealing the wrong card. They are always disappointed, as am I. I state again, not to reveal their card. I turn the wrong card over and remove it, I take the 'wrong' card and place it on their upturned hand, in their palm. This is of course the correct thought of card. I then ask them to place the post it note on top of the wrong card and imagine this card turning into their card. I ask them for the first time to say out loud what their thought of card was. Turn the card over in their hand to reveal the correct card.

I get great reactions from this as the 'magic' happens in their hands. Hope you enjoy my little take on this.