(Close Window)
Topic: performing at a BIG yard sale
The coliseum by my house is putting on a BIG yard sale in October. I was thinking of getting a spot in there and working. Does anyone have any advice on working this or should I not even consider it?
Like most things, that would depend on a number of variables:

What's the expected draw? Have you done street work before? And so on.

But I've never heard of this being done before so go for it!

One positive thing for sure: You've got free advertising (not to mention a built-in audience!)
Sounds like a forum to pitch Svengalis or what have you instead of doing a show per se...
tr
:cool:
I'm doing street performing now, but I'm moving to a place where there isn't a place to street perform, the closest place is New Orleans but there is so much hassel going on with the cops it's not worth the hour and a half drive.

So I'm thinking about setting up a pitch at a flea market pitch magic and selling magic and work any festivals that come along.

Nolan
Greetings and Salutations kasper,

Brian Flora and Docc Hilford put out a great tape outlining how to sell a "free" outdoor show, with pitching magic kits and balloon animals to cover expenses.

It features great thinking, a show that defines simplicity, and is perfect for working festivals, fairs and flea markets (sorry, I can't resist good alliteration)!

If you work the streets now you have the act, maybe just tweak it to end with whatever you are going to pitch.

Balloons are inexpensive and easy (with the requisite practice), and there are a number of wholesalers on the net where you can find the magic.

I'm thinking you're going to be the only "seller" offering something more than something to sell, and you've got an automatic draw from those who were dragged to the flea market, i.e., kids, etc.

What do you have to lose: a few buck for the spot and a couple more for whatever you are going to pitch and/or balloons. And like Peter pointed out: you get an audience and advertising, which could lead to future possiblities -- you never know until to give it a go. I say, go for it.

Good luck and have fun!

Joe in KC

Live a great adventure, make magic happen!
Kasper 777, I am curious as to what happened, did you perform at the sale? and what did you learn from it?

-Brian Carter (magicuncle) :question: