(Close Window)
Topic: How long for a brass cup to age nicely?
I have mostly copper sets of cups, and 2 sets of brass. No surprise here, but the brass cups aren't aging as beautifully as copper as quickly as copper. But I suspect they will age quite nicely some day. Any input on how long that will typically take? Outside of some chemicals, anything else I could do to expedite the process besides handling them as much as possible? Any thoughts on the impact of water on brass cups?
I have never cared for the patina on brass cups. It doesn't look as nice as it does on copper cups. The brass sets I have I try to keep polished. I'm sure you have seen brass door knobs that have a dark patina on them They aren't that attractive. It's the same for the cups. That's my feeling anyway.
On another posting here at the Café, Frank had some pictures of Johnson brass Cups that had turned… I thought that they looked pretty good.
I never seem to be able to last them out and end up polishing my brass Cups.

Bruce
I have a brass Little Don Alan cup that has patinized beautifully. It did it on its own, took about 9 months or so. The surface was highly polished in the first place, which I think helps with the way it looks. They have to get past that sickly green color and devlop into an almost dark olive patina.
David Williamson is using a set of Brass Patina Sherwoods in a youtube video and they look really nice.
It is the one with Carny.