(Close Window)
Topic: Figure Table
Hello All,
I Just received my figure and now have to get a table to sit him on during the routine.

What types of tables are being used and what should I look for in a good steady adjustable height table?
Check out my thread about the second runner up. Partway down, dated Jan 19, Steve at the Dummy Shoppe gives some good sites.

-Philip
Since I have 33 views and only one comment, I thought I’d post this

So, I was performing a GOOGLE search on tables and came up with a patient for a “Ventriloquist apparatus” and thought I’d post the link here for your comments.

(I have way too much time on my hands)

http://ip.com/patent/US4971313
I didn't comment since Phillip had directed you to the other thread where I wrote this;
[quote]
On 2011-01-19 16:27, blueshawk1 wrote:
You can also make your own with a mic stand, a square piece of wood, some black material and some gold fringe.
The tricky part is getting the flange that would screw onto the mic stand that you would screw the board onto.
I made mine years ago, and as I recall, the flange wasn't readily accessible, I believe I got the flange from Florida Magic.[/quote]
Although I have since checked and I see the flanges are still available at Florida Magic;
http://floridamagic.bizhosting.com/flange_4.html
And a mic stand gives you the adjustable height and there's different ones to choose from, the old cast iron base, folding leg ones, etc.
I thought it would help to move Steve's advice to this thread:
[quote]
On 2011-01-19 16:23, Steve at The Dummy Shoppe wrote:
Daff:
Try http://www.algoodproducts.com for the stands.

Steve
http://www.thedummyshoppe.com
[/quote]

I will second his advice. Al makes a GREAT product. I have two of his stands and tops. They are excellent!
Tom
Thanks Tom.
I saw Al Good’s link, the table looks very stable.

I looked at Dummy Works and I did not see a table anywhere, but I did see a block saying “coming soon” .

I am hoping that someone will post here about a table that is regal and fitting for my figure…LOL, if not maybe a table that looks or has something really different; I don’t want to have a closet full of old stands.

I saw a table on the internet that had a mouth in the table to be used as a figure, but my routine is not going in that direction.

Buzz
Thanks for moving that here, Tom. I really didn't know how!

I got my table from a musical instrument catalogue, here:

http://www.wwbw.com/Search/Default.aspx?internal=1&src=table

It's got a top that's a little bigger, but it's stable as the devil.

-Philip
Philip;
I like bigger, I want to place items on the table as well, like a wonder water glass that the figure can drink from.

Did you purchase the Ludwig LE1378 Trap Table And Stand or the Pearl Trap Table (24" x 18") with Single-Braced Stand, both look good and the price is better than the Al Good Table.

Buzz
Tom,
Thanks for moving it here, my ability to navigate the café is getting better every day; but I still get lost at times, this makes it easy for me to look at the information and decide.
Message: Posted by: Steve at The Dummy Shoppe (Jan 22, 2011 08:23AM)
Just a point of clarification. The Dummy Shoppe is in no way affiliated with Dummy Works.

I recommended Al Goods performing stands because I believe they are the best in the business. We will never have a performing stand. What we have labeled "Coming Soon" are for free standing puppet display stands that we are developing. So many vents want to have several of their "friends" out on temporary/long term display that these are what we are specializing in. We have just about finished building a separate room for powder coating, and have already gotten all the equipment for powder coating, because we found early on that just painting the stands is not a long term solution to a finish. Once we finish setting up our powder coating room, we will then remove the "coming soon" banner from our site. I still have to get some 3 micron air filters etc. etc. to have that done.

Back to the discussion at hand - performing stands. I think Al Good has the best available and we have no intention of competing with the best.

Steve
Barbara, are my eyes deceiving me, is that not a table and a basket centered behind the table in the first video that was posted on this thread?
Sorry the last post was posted in the wrong thread

Steve, what do you think of the Pearl Trap Table (24" x 18") with Single-Braced Stand listed here by Philip?

I found the same table for $101.00 with free shipping on Amazon.com; Al’s price is $140.00, plus $20.00 shipping; that’s $60.00 cheaper and the music stand has a larger top. The tripod looks just as sturdy and Philip says it’s stable as the devil…
And the devil must be stable. Been around forever.

-Philip
Couple of messages for you over in that department, Buzz.

-Philip
[quote]
On 2011-01-22 00:22, Servante wrote:
I got my table from a musical instrument catalogue, here:[/quote]

I forgot about that. There are some music stands too where the top will adjust flat, they're lightweight too usually, I had one once for my figures.
Here's pretty much what I wrote to Buzz:

Buzz, the one I bought is a Gibraltar. The top is 24 inches square.
It's as solid as it can be!
I added fringe all the way around, with velcro attachments inside the lip where they don't show, so it can serve as a side table for magic stuff, too.

http://www.wwbw.com/Gibraltar-Percussion-Table-483550-i1431451.wwbw
Philip;
Thanks for copying the PM here, it may help others.

The information on the link does not say how high the stand is.

I like the idea that it has a carpet and you attest to the stability of the stand.

I am considering this as the best stand yet for value; plus I can order it with free shipping.

I need to get a stand soon so I can practice in front of a mirror, standing with my figure in a proper position for breathing and figure movement.

This thread is a great help to me, thanks to all for taking the time to help. Please keep the ideas coming.
Message: Posted by: Steve at The Dummy Shoppe (Jan 22, 2011 01:03PM)
Buzz:

I don't have any knowledge of the music stand having been used in that capacity. I know that if you buy something made for one purpose and modify it in any way, there is no obligation on the part of the maker to stand good on their product. On the other hand, if some of the folks do have experience and they were happy with the outcome, then I could hardly take an adversarial position.

The real test (and the one that makes me lean toward Al Good) is that I don't know the individual skills of each reader and I don't want to see anyone take a lot of time and expense in smaller amounts to try and create something that they can purchase all at once and have a "fur-shure" product. I would hate to see someone end up spending almost as much on the hopes of saving $20-$30 and end up with an item that they wish they hadn't wasted money on.

My best advice is still (again not knowing individual skill levels) buy the premade from a source that you know will stand good on it. That way the skills we do know you have (vent) can be put to use getting bookings, doing shows and counting your money - lol.

Steve
Steve,
I am not only looking at a savings of $30.00; I am also looking at the size of the table top to suit my requirements; as I said in an earlier post I am looking for a large top.

On Al’s stand, the standard top has a 10” x 14” surface and the Magician’s Pro top has a 12"x 20" surface. The stands and tops I am looking at have an 18” X 24” and a 24” X 24” surface; in addition, Al’s table top has tassels around the edges; I own an advertising agency and have the ability to design and create a very nice sign or banner for the front of the table with whatever I want it to read, and I can change the copy anytime I want; the tassels from Al’s table would have to be removed

I could be mistaken in my viewing of Al’s video, but it looks to me like Al does not manufacture his own stands. Photography stands do not have threaded 5/8”x 27” ends, they have ¼ X 20 ends; I am assuming that the stands he uses for his tables are microphone stands.

IF my assumptions are correct, by buying a music stand, I am buying a quality microphone stand with the sturdiness equal to Al’s stand with a table size that will fit my needs for less money.

Why would I assume that the table is sturdy, I read Philip’s post, he tells me that “it's stable as the devil” I believe Philip, I have read his other posts and I greatly respect what he writes.

I am new to being a ventriloquist, I can possibly be wrong in my assumptions; If I decide to purchase a music stand and it does not fit our needs, Mine and Dan, my figure, I can always use the music stand as a side stand and purchase Al’s stand and switch table tops;

I started this thread to find the best table to fit my requirements; so far you have suggested Al’s table and Philip has suggested the music stand, both top quality stands; maybe more suggestions will be forthcoming.

This I know will fit my needs completely.

Buzz
I checked out the link Philip provided. It "looks" as if they use the same basic stand - different top. Keep in mind, the base is basically a symbols stand. They may look the same, but there are different qualities of stands out there. Al uses the heavy duty model, then modifies them so they will open to the correct height. He adds a threaded metal fitting so the table top flange will fit.

On the WWBW site, it appears the top has a lip around it. If your figure sits with legs over the edge, that may create an issue, may not. I read the single review for the product and apparently the fiberglass top shattered during shipping. That turned me off to the product. I want something that can withstand the abuse of use and travel.

I bought a second stand from Al Good at this past conVention. We were discussing his work and he told me he had to find a new supplier for the threaded part. Apparently the company he was using switched to "White Metal". If you are not familiar with that term, it is a lighter metal and wears out fast. Using those would mean the part would need to be replaced. Al refused them. He wanted the aluminum that would stand up to constant use.

Al isn't getting rich selling these things - and he stands behind his product - pardon the pun. I personally appreciate the fact he cares about the quality of his merchandise and the satisfaction of his clients. Similar to a puppet maker I just started working with!
Buzz -
We must have composed our messages at the same time. Al DOES make his own tops. If you need a larger top - contact him. I'm willing to bet he'd help you.
Tom
I really didn't mean to cause any trouble here. Was just trying to help. Honest. Scout's honor.

-Philip
I went and looked at the table. Yes, it appears that it is fiberglass. I've never had any trouble with it. The top has a black carpet covering (appears to be some sort of lightweight indoor/outdoor carpet).
There's a lip that creates a recess of, perhaps, 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch. This has never been a problem for me, as my figures' legs are stuffed and "knee'd" and don't have trouble negotiating it, but I suppose if it were an issue, one could drop in another chunk of carpet to even it out. Again, no problem for me.

It's not a cymbal stand, it's a percussion stand, used by drummers to hold extra noisemakers close at hand. The base is identical to the Al Good base, right down to the heavy-duty tips on the legs. The Al Good stand has an extra whatever-you-call those wingnut tightener things. This is probably the result of adding the screw base piece on the bottom of the tabletop, as my tabletop doesn't have a screw base, but rather another tightening thing on the bottom of the table. It also has a pretty substantial steel bottom bolted onto the table base. Imagine a letter O superimposed with the letter X, extending out, way past the O. The arms of the X are bolted twice per each arm, for a total of eight bolts, and the wingnut tightening steel base is at the center of all of that.
I don't for a moment mean to disparage Al Good's stands. It's just that, when I happened to be shopping for a stand, this company was sending me catalogues, and they were having a sale on the stands and this one seemed a good fit.

-Philip
Tacrowl

Thanks for the additional information. I appreciate every post in assisting me in my decision.

I don’t want 20 stands in my closet by purchasing on a whim.

I looked very closely at the stand on Al’s site and very closely on the WW&B web site; it looks like they are both the very same stand. Down to the detail on the struts attached to the leg and the center post along with the screw fittings.

They both have the same height measurements, Al’s site copy says it extends to approx. 40” and Philip has told me in a PM that his music stand extends to about 40”.

My figure, Dan has padded thighs that will not be a problem with the lip; in fact the lip is a plus preventing prop’s I will be using from rolling off.

This is not the end of the search, I am hopeful for further information on stands that have not as yet been posted; not only for my information, but anyone else having the same questions.
Philip, I think these comments;
[quote]The real test (and the one that makes me lean toward Al Good) is that I don't know the individual skills of each reader and I don't want to see anyone take a lot of time and expense in smaller amounts to try and create something
My best advice is still (again not knowing individual skill levels) buy the premade [/quote]
suggest more of a problem with my suggestion about someone making their own stand.
I also can't know the skill levels of each reader, but it is possible that there are others beside myself who are capable of making things, and making them quite well so that they serve their intended purpose, plus there are some who just enjoy making things themselves if they can, saving 20-30 dollars is just a bonus.
[quote]
On 2011-01-22 16:04, Servante wrote:
I really didn't mean to cause any trouble here. Was just trying to help. Honest. Scout's honor.

-Philip
[/quote]

Philip, a scout is trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean and reverent. and is kind to all puppets.

Can you and your figure meet that criteria; is so you’re definitely not causing trouble.
We can.
I was even a Boy Scout for six whole weeks.
[quote]
On 2011-01-22 16:27, blueshawk1 wrote:
Philip, I think these comments;
[quote]The real test (and the one that makes me lean toward Al Good) is that I don't know the individual skills of each reader and I don't want to see anyone take a lot of time and expense in smaller amounts to try and create something
My best advice is still (again not knowing individual skill levels) buy the premade [/quote]
I also can't know the skill levels of each reader, but it is possible that there are others beside myself who are capable of making things, and making them quite well so that they serve their intended purpose, plus there are some who just enjoy making things themselves if they can, saving 20-30 dollars is just a bonus.
[/quote]

I plan in the future on making my own set, complete with background drapes and custom tables. Purchasing flanges, wood and stands to make tables now and then finishing it with painting will take more time and effort than I want to invest in currently.
Making a custom stand I think is best when my training is completed and I am aware on the exact height of the stand.
Now I just want to purchase an adjustable height table very soon so I can start practicing in front of a mirror and Dan.
[quote]
On 2011-01-22 16:39, Servante wrote:
We can.
I was even a Boy Scout for six whole weeks.
[/quote]

Six weeks, did you make eagle scout?
Can you build a table?
I didn't make Eagle Scout, but I looked good in the uniform.
Scoutmaster was an ex-Marine drill instructor with a drinking problem ( I found out later) who thought we were Marines.
I've had a couple of uncles who were Marines, so I knew Marines...Marines were friends of mine...we were not Marines.

After one disastrous overnight, during which he got us away from civilization and shouted at us for two days, I told him (once we were back in town) what he could do with it, broke his sword across my knee, and rode off into the sunset.
I discovered him, years later, sitting in the bus station cradling a bottle of Ripple.
Thought about telling my uncles...but figured he'd suffered enough.

I did look good in the uniform. :-D

-Philip
[quote]
On 2011-01-22 16:56, Servante wrote:
I didn't make Eagle Scout, but I looked good in the uniform.

After one disastrous overnight, during which he got us away from civilization and shouted at us for two days, once we were back in I broke his sword across my knee, and rode off into the sunset.
I discovered him, years later, sitting in the bus station cradling a bottle of Ripple.

I did look good in the uniform. :-D

-Philip
[/quote]

See things like that make you and me the men we are today. Still playing with dolls
Hahahaha!
Where were we?

Oh yes, we were attempting to decide what the best figure table is.

Anyone else have an idea?
Apologies if I came across wrong on my earlier post. Didn't mean to. And thanks for the correction - I knew the stand is used for percussion, but was thinking cymbals. (Didn't even spell it right - I needed sleep.) I was just trying to point out a couple of things - the lip, a review on broken fiberglass, and the fact that there are different qualities of stands available. If a stand/table works for you, that is all that matters.

I am extremely hard on every prop I own - constant usage and the desire to pack fast and go home after a show. The Al Good stand holds up for me. It wasn't my first. I originally made a wooden top, purchased a flange and used an adjustable microphone stand. It worked fine, but required carrying that extra microphone stand which didn't fit in my case. I still carry that top with me when flying since it fits in my carry-on. Came in handy last Nov. when the suitcase with my table never made it to Indianapolis.

Buzz, have you considered a tall case? Bill DeMar designed one that holds his figures and they sit on it when he brings them out. Saves him carrying an extra prop.
[quote]
On 2011-01-23 11:25, tacrowl wrote:

Buzz, have you considered a tall case? Bill DeMar designed one that holds his figures and they sit on it when he brings them out. Saves him carrying an extra prop.
[/quote]

I tried looking up the case by Goggling Bill DeMar, lots of his information returned, but nothing about a case he builds or is for sale, can you point me in a better direction?

Thanks for taking the time to reply
He does not build the cases for sale. I believe there is a blueprint out there. Seems to me, several vents from the Café have built similar cases. Perhaps one of them will be able to direct you.
Tom
Tom,

Thanks for the clarification; I will try to find more information about it
Message: Posted by: Steve at The Dummy Shoppe (Jan 23, 2011 11:59AM)
Hey Buzz,

Check with Clinton Detweiler. He is notorious for having good traveling cases. I would not be surprised if he would have something like what you are looking for.

Steve
[quote]
On 2011-01-23 12:59, Steve at The Dummy Shoppe wrote:
Hey Buzz,

Check with Clinton Detweiler. He is notorious for having good traveling cases. I would not be surprised if he would have something like what you are looking for.

[/quote]

Thanks Steve,

I have an order in with Clinton; he builds the inside of the cases and needs a clear day to finish it outdoors, Mine should be shipped within a week.

Buzz
[quote]
On 2011-01-23 12:59, Steve at The Dummy Shoppe wrote:
Hey Buzz,

[/quote]

Thanks Steve,

I have an order in with Clinton; he builds the inside of the cases and needs a clear day to finish it outdoors, Mine should be shipped within a week.

Buzz
Message: Posted by: Steve at The Dummy Shoppe (Jan 23, 2011 12:20PM)
Buzz,

Something else you will learn about Clinton. If he tells you something and it does not happen the way he told you. . . check with his wife to see what hospital he is in. If he is out and about, you can take his word to the bank and make a deposit. Clinton is the ultimate gentleman.

Steve
[quote]
On 2011-01-23 13:20, Steve at The Dummy Shoppe wrote:
Buzz,

Something else you will learn about Clinton. If he tells you something and it does not happen . . check with his wife

Steve
[/quote]

Steve,

HAHA, it is impossible to talk to Clinton’s wife, Clinton has decided not to give out his phone number any longer.
All correspondence is by email. But he has sold me very good books on learning to be a vent.
Buzz
[quote]
On 2011-01-23 12:52, tacrowl wrote:
He does not build the cases for sale. I believe there is a blueprint out there. Seems to me, several vents from the Café have built similar cases. Perhaps one of them will be able to direct you.
Tom[/quote]
If anyone here has that, I sure would be appreciate seeing it!

A long time ago I had someone send me instructions on how to make a Maher type case, the instructions were brief, and not complete, (they were going to finish later but never did), but I figure I had enough to info to attempt it, but never did.

[quote]
On 2011-01-23 11:25, tacrowl wrote:
Buzz, have you considered a tall case? Bill DeMar designed one that holds his figures and they sit on it when he brings them out. Saves him carrying an extra prop.[/quote]
Paul Stadelman also used a case like that, it was long and narrow and would hold Windy without having to fold his legs over and was tall enough for Paul to use as a stand for Windy to sit on.
[quote]
A long time ago I had someone send me instructions on how to make a Maher type case, the instructions were brief, and not complete, (they were going to finish later but never did), but I figure I had enough to info to attempt it, but never did.
[quote\]

here is additional information for making the case, Clinton explained it to me in an email

Buzz

Buzz:

The cases are custom made for my by Atlas Case Co. in Denver. The owner is a friend. They've built my cases for well over 30 years. Made to my specs. I purchase in quantity to get best price. I do all lining and padding myself, install the cords to hold the lids, make the head unit, etc. I used to have a separate building and specially ventilated glue room to work in, but since retirement I don't have that facility. So have to work out of doors when lining cases - I have to wait for warmer weather.

Clinton
Lining and padding the case, I'm good. I made a couple of figure trunks myself which I padded and lined with glove leather, but I made them out of wood and they proved to be too heavy to carry (but they are certainly protective).
Your way more handy then I am,

I am very busy getting everything set.

I registered a web site domain name and am going to use the ISP that handles the Café to host it.

Then I have another thread about the magic wands.
Message: Posted by: Steve at The Dummy Shoppe (Jan 24, 2011 02:55AM)
Buzz,

If you are looking for a great webmaster, I can recommend Steve Hurst. He does everything for Ventriloquist Central, he does The Dummy Shoppe, and several others. He knows exactly how to posture your site to maximize your exposure. If you are interested, you can contact him at webmaster@ventriloquistcentral.com

I did not know if you already had someone to do that, but I thought I would throw that out there for you. He is also as reasonable as anybody in the price department.

Steve
OK, let me give my input as to how I did my vent table...

I ordered the Viking stand from Viking Magic:
http://www.vikingmagic.com/?nd=full&key=307

It comes with a flange. I took the flange, went to a carpenter and ask them to fix the flange to a wooden board. The dimension of my wooden board is about 20" x 10" x 1/2", covering the wooden-top with nonwoven poly olefin fiber. Basically, nonwoven poly olefin fiber is just a substitute to the soft side of a velcro.

As the end, the whole thing is super-duper light, less than 1kg, I believe. Works well for me.
[quote]
On 2011-01-24 04:27, Joseph_Then wrote:
OK, let me give my input as to how I did my vent table...

I ordered the Viking stand from Viking Magic:
http://www.vikingmagic.com/?nd=full&key=307
[/quote]

That looks like an excellent stand for the price. I am going to order a stand today and use it for something in the routine,

The stand is a better deal than any photography stand I have now

Thanks for pointing me to it.
[quote]
On 2011-01-24 03:55, Steve at The Dummy Shoppe wrote:
Buzz,

If you are looking for a great webmaster, I can recommend Steve Hurst. He does everything for Ventriloquist Central, he does The Dummy Shoppe, and several others.

I did not know if you already had someone to do that,
[/quote]

Steve;
Your 3 days too late; on Friday, I spoke to Mary with GMB WebWorks Hosting and Design, the ISP that serves the Magic Café and I pointed my web address “NotMovingMyLips.com” to start whatever it takes to get me going.

I have other web sites on a different server. Steve Brooks has said in his posts that GMB WebWorks Hosting and Design does such a good job for the café to keep them up, I wanted to support the café any way I can

She has given me a smoking price to do everything for me. All I need to do is shake my head yes to what they do and send a check.

BTW I see that you fixed your keyboard, I can now see your posts on my screen lol
[quote]
On 2011-01-24 03:55, Steve at The Dummy Shoppe wrote:
Buzz,

If you are looking for a great webmaster, I can recommend Steve Hurst. He does everything for Ventriloquist Central, he does The Dummy Shoppe, and several others.

I did not know if you already had someone to do that,
[/quote]

Steve;
Your 3 days too late; on Friday, I spoke to Mary with GMB WebWorks Hosting and Design, the ISP that serves the Magic Café and I pointed my web address “NotMovingMyLips.com” to start whatever it takes to get me going.

I have other web sites on a different server. Steve Brooks has said in his posts that GMB WebWorks Hosting and Design does such a good job for the café to keep them up, I wanted to support the café any way I can

She has given me a smoking price to do everything for me. All I need to do is shake my head yes to what they do and send a check.

BTW I see that you fixed your keyboard, I can now see your posts on my screen lol
I still don't know why my posts post 2 times
Message: Posted by: Steve at The Dummy Shoppe (Jan 24, 2011 12:41PM)
Maybe your double post problem is caused by the same thing that made my post look fuzzy - lol

Steve
[quote]
On 2011-01-24 13:41, Steve at The Dummy Shoppe wrote:
Maybe your double post problem is caused by the same thing that made my post look fuzzy - lol
[/quote]

I think not; my screen goes fuzzy when a post says something about me giving something away for free.

My screen reverts to HD quality, with a HDMI interface digital, global connectivity standard for items that are offered to me free

…hint…
Message: Posted by: Steve at The Dummy Shoppe (Jan 24, 2011 02:10PM)
Now its my screen that has gone fuzzy. What the heck?

Steve
www.thedummyshoppe
[quote]
On 2011-01-24 15:10, Steve at The Dummy Shoppe wrote:
Now its my screen that has gone fuzzy. What the heck?
[/quote]

Come to my web site, where with every purchase over $500.00, your screen is LIKE MAGIC, cleared of any fuzziness*

*Offer not valid anywhere near Vancouver, WA , or where dummies are manufactured
Message: Posted by: Steve at The Dummy Shoppe (Jan 24, 2011 04:31PM)
I guess that counts me out since dummies are all that we make at The Dummy Shoppe.

Steve
[quote]
On 2011-01-24 17:31, Steve at The Dummy Shoppe wrote:
I guess that counts me out since dummies are all that we make at The Dummy Shoppe.
[/quote]

Good point; maybe you should stop making dummies and start making money.

I ordered the ZUPAN'S PROFESSIONAL MONEY MACHINE, it’s fabulous; it works by placing plain paper into the machine and hundred dollar bills come out the other end.

I ordered it 3 weeks ago from Italy and it is lost in transit,

I’m going to be rich.
I had one once, you put hundred dollar bills in and plain paper came out the other end. I couldn't afford to use it. :D
Blueshawk
that's what happens when you build it yourself. try the store bought model.
Hahaaaa, very good!
A posting to all my fellow Ventriloquist’s that have assisted me in deciding what the best figure stands are.

This was my first post and I’m very gratified that it extended to three pages. It demonstrates that the café does work for fellow artists contributing help to new Ventriloquists like myself.

After carefully reading all posts and examining the information of all suggestions posted, I have decided to purchase both the Al Good performing stand recommended by tacrowl , and the Gibraltar cymbal - percussion stand recommended by Philip, I find both to be a good value.

Also owning two stands is good insurance against breaking, or forgetting comportments when transporting equipment

Tacrowl brings up a good point that “If your figure sits with legs over the edge, that may create an issue, may not”; as I posted here I plan to place a sign in the front of the stand with my name and the name of the event; I have never seen a Ventriloquist perform with a sign on the stand; and performing with the legs over the edge may create an issue with a sign.

Since this thread has extended to three pages I am going to start a new thread to explore the pros and cons of my idea of signage on the stand.

Hopefully I will get the same response in that thread as I have received here.

Thanks to all…
Message: Posted by: Scruffy the Clown (Jan 26, 2011 04:45AM)
AS a FWIW, a female mike stand flange csn be ordered from a reputable music store. Some of the big box stores might have one in stock.
Scuffy,

I didn’t even think to call a music store and ask, The Guitar Center is on my way to work, and I’ll go in and ask if they have flanges or can order it for me.

The last information I got was a company in Florida that wanted to charge me $5.00 for the flange and $16.00 to ship it to me.

THANKS

BTW I like your picture
[quote]
On 2011-01-26 05:45, Scruffy the Clown wrote:
AS a FWIW, a female mike stand flange csn be ordered from a reputable music store. Some of the big box stores might have one in stock.
[/quote]

I dropped by the Guitar Center and they had no idea of what I wanted. I think I am going to give up on building a stand and just use the stands made by reputable companies. Thanks for the post.
[quote]
On 2011-01-22 13:24, Servante wrote:
Here's pretty much what I wrote to Buzz:

Buzz, the one I bought is a Gibraltar. The top is 24 inches square.
It's as solid as it can be!
I added fringe all the way around, with velcro attachments inside the lip where they don't show, so it can serve as a side table for magic stuff, too.

http://www.wwbw.com/Gibraltar-Percussion-Table-483550-i1431451.wwbw
[/quote]

Philip;
The stand came today, your correct it’s large, plenty of room on top, and as stable as a 4 legged table.

Having Dan at the correct height with me standing next to him has allowed me for the first time to properly manipulate the levers on the post.

Thanks for the tip
My pleasure, Buzz.

-Philip
Here is the table complete with Dan waiting for the phone to ring for a paid gig
Way cool! :)
Do you think the sign in front is too much?
Well, he is separated from the sign by the chair, and it is a professional-looking sign, so personally I think it's fine. Actually, it looks a LOT better than I'd imagined it when you were first posting about your idea. Were it any less professional-looking, I don't think it would work at all. Good job!

-Philip
Message: Posted by: Scruffy the Clown (Jan 29, 2011 03:20PM)
Here is a link to the atlas mike home page showing the flange and including the atlas part Number.
http://www.atlasmicstands.com/details.cfm?PN=AD-11B
However, after looking at it I think the main thing show here is the coorrect tap size it is 5/8x27!! A machinist coyls take a 2x2 in piece of scrap plate and weld the correct nut to the bottom or drill and tap the plate.
It would be a better flange. the real one is pretty small.
or, take an inexpensive double brace cymbal stand, cut the tilter off and weld a steel plate to the top. Have to holes drilled in opposing corners of the plate. then on the table top locate two bolts with wing nut, and pdrill trough the top (under the cloth) for the bolts. then, you have essentially, a very sold three piece talbe or. have it threaded to fit a standard black pipt 5/8 pipe nipple and use a regular black pipe flange plate.
It works fine on mine!
[quote]
On 2011-01-29 11:52, Servante wrote:
Actually, it looks a LOT better than I'd imagined it when you were first posting about your idea. Were it any less professional-looking, I don't think it would work at all. Good job!

-Philip
[/quote]

Philip,

I had it my mind what I wanted to do, you’re a magician, why couldn’t you read my mind?

Seriously, I learned from your comment in this post; In the future I am going to create and upload a photograph of what it is I want to post about, and then initiate the dialogue of the idea.

Thanks for the positive comment and feedback.
I was told how to insert photos into the post, so I thought I’d repost this

This is Dan and the table Philip told me about along with the sign in front

[img]http://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee369/Buzz-Lawrence/DanWeb1.jpg[/img]
Hi all;

I didn’t want to start a new topic on this subject, just have a question.

I purchased a portable battery operated PA system this weekend and I need a recommendation on a wireless microphone; Is the lapel type, or the over the ear with the stem in front of the mouth a better choice?
Message: Posted by: Steve at The Dummy Shoppe (Jan 31, 2011 11:51AM)
Buzz,

Contact Joe Lefler at http://www.magicandsoundsystems.com . Joe is also a performer, so he understands the little nuances of the stage. He won't undersell you on a system, but he won't sell you too much just to make a buck. Very knowledgable in his field.

Steve
Thanks for the information Steve; I will call him later in the week.
Buzz, you will sure get different opinions on mic options because picking one depends on a few criteria, especially on your performance style.

Over the years I've tried almost all mic types and ended up using a handheld mic (preferably wired) on a mic stand.

Better to try each one first in your performance, see what fits you best, and you'll make a better choice later.
Ony is right Buzz, you could get as many different answers as there are people on this forum.
I like lapel mics because they stand out the least, but I have this problem with accepting that they are in a good spot to pick up properly. I know they do, that's just me.
I like the ones with the little boom better, but not kind that extends around in front of my mouth, I like ones that just extend straight down so it's kind of off to the side of my mouth.

Now for your figure, a lapel mic is perfect. Yes, that's what I said - for your figure.
I remember a long time ago, someone suggesting putting a lapel mic on the figure adding to the illusion - the figure was speaking and needed his own mic.
I took it a step further and made a little fake transmitter box with a little red light and a small toggle switch on the top (the switch only served to turn the light on and off) with a lapel mic wired up to it and clipped to the figures collar and the transmitter clipped on his pants, on the side, but to the front so it could be seen easily.
I used it as a running gag - when we came out and the figure started to say his first line, there would be nothing, then he'd look at me and say something, I'd look sheepish, turn on the switch with the little light coming on and suddenly he could be heard - of course that gave him an opportunity to give me a shot right off.
Then maybe once or twice after that, if he got a little too unruly, I'd switch him off again making him go silent while "speaking", I'd admonish him, he'd silently say something and I'd tell him it's a good thing I had his mic turned off so no one heard what he said, etc., you get the idea.
And then at the end, he could either be going into a tirade, or just running his mouth after I told him we had to go, finally I'd switch him and off and walk off with his mouth still flapping at me.

I used to have a little diagram and instructions on my website on how to make the transmitter box from common Radio Shack parts, but it was one of the things I "let go" when I switched to a different website host and had to save space.
I use the seat of an old drummer's throne affixed to one of my heavy double braced cymbal stands to sit my figures on. The seat swivels easily and I can turn the whole body of the figure towards me if I want. BTW, cymbals stands can be found pretty cheap on local Craig's Lists and on Ebay.
[quote]
On 2011-02-01 03:55, Ony Carcamo wrote:

Over the years I've tried almost all mic types and ended up using a handheld mic (preferably wired) on a mic stand.

Better to try each one first in your performance, see what fits you best, and you'll make a better choice later.
[/quote]

Ony,

Thanks for adding your comment to the topic, it is really appreciated; I am thinking this segment of the thread will end as the figure table segment did, by me owning more than one type of mic.

I think your wired mic idea is perfect and one came with the P.A. system I purchased; I was going to remove it from the system, now I am going to try using it and see if the wire gets in my way; I want to try a wireless to experience it. Reading your post,

I will always make sure I have it with me; it is great as a backup if all else fails.
[quote]
On 2011-02-01 07:57, CaptKirk wrote:
cymbals stands can be found pretty cheap on local Craig's Lists and on Ebay.
[/quote]

CaptKirk; welcome to the thread,

you are probably correct, “cymbals stands can be found pretty cheap on local Craig's Lists and on Ebay” except now that I want one, in the time frame I was looking, nothing that fit my needs was advertised on eBay, or craig’s List.
I was just going through some of my bookmarks in my browser (it's amazing how they build up), and I found that some of the pages from my old website are still coming up, including the page about the dummy wireless mic;

http://whiggins.stormpages.com/lapelmic.htm
[quote]
On 2011-02-01 10:50, blueshawk1 wrote:
the dummy wireless mic;

http://whiggins.stormpages.com/lapelmic.htm
[/quote]

Thanks it’s a great idea, I will even buy the parts and build it.

I will post a photo of Dan wearing it when it’s finished
Good! I'm glad to see it get used, that's the whole reason I put it up there.

I just found another page I forgot about. Way back when, I did a survey about people using stands, etc., it's old, but thought it might still have some pertinence in this thread;
http://dickensndave.bravehost.com/stand.html
I used to use a headset mic, the one that came with the Florida Magic PA I used for a few years. When that PA broke, I decided to use a standard, hand held, wired mic on a stand. I decided to do this for a variety of reasons.

On more than one occasion, I had found myself at a venue that was too big for my little PA, but there was a DJ there, willing to let me use his awesome system. Only problem was, all he had was a traditional mic, and I wasn't used to using one. I'd try to patch my system through his, or just try to make my small system work, or I'd struggle with the mic he provided. In all these scenarios my act didn't look as good as I know it is. Referrals and repeat bookings are so important, the act really needs to look it's best every time onstage. In comedy, timing is SO important, and awkwardness with the equipment just ruins the timing. This is the main reason I chose the standard mic on a stand, I just wanted to be comfortable with the set up I most typically find at big events.

The second reason is comedy clubs. You never bring your own sound to a comedy club, certainly not an open mic. You use what they have and mic technique is considered comedy 101. If you want to look competent and confident, be able to use a mic. They'll be against you at a comedy club anyway because you're a ventriloquist so you really have to be better than the other comics at every level.

The third thing is that there are funny things you can do with a mic, emphasize certain things, do sound effects, it becomes an addition to the act.

If you ask an audience volunteer a question and you don't have a mic to hold in front of them, the audience won't hear their response. The audience wants to hear their response and you want it to be heard. Kids really like talking into the mic.

The mic with a stand is 'old school', and I like 'old school'

Finally, when a person steps up to a microphone, people seem to pay attention immediately.

It was hard getting used to a traditional wired mic, but I forced myself to do it and now I'm comfortable with one. On the surface, it seems like a small thing, but these details are important. Details are what make the pros look like pros.
Mr. Pitts;
This was an excellent post well written so I can understand the main points and I have learned much from reading what you wrote; it was very informative.

While I’m learning and perfecting my routine, do you think it is possible to get used to using a wireless microphone while using my small P.A. system with no audience members coming to speak and a wired microphone for venues that have sound systems supplied?

or should stick to one method
The main difference is between a headset or lapel mic and a hand-held mic. Wireless or wired doesn't make a lot of difference in how you use it. As you develop and rehearse your act, you'll want to walk through it, figuring out where you'll be standing, where you'll move for this prop or that, the transitions etc.. As you do this, you'll be figuring out how far each move will be. You'll probably figure out that you do most of your act in one spot. So if you do find yourself at a venue where the mic is wired, it probably won't present that much of a problem. The difficulty for me was the transition from headset to hand held or on a mic stand. With a headset you don't have to be aware of the mic very much, and having to then do the act with a regular mic, if you're not used to it, you'll find you have to think about it way too much. That's the goal, to get so used to using a traditional mic (wired or not) that you no longer have to think about it. So I'd say use the wireless hand held or on a stand, and unless you're running around the stage like Madonna, you'll be able to adapt fairly easily to a wired mic.
OK if I am reading you correctly, I should use a stand and the microphone can be wireless, or wired, as long as it’s on a stand?

Wireless for me is the point, this way I can’t wrap it around myself and will not trip on it.

I can adapt to this very easily
I'd say go with the wireless on a stand if you can. Most clubs still use the conventional "wired on a stand" mike setup since that's what they've had and been using for years. With a wireless on a stand, a performer can easily take the mic out and move freely about the stage or audience without having to deal with a long cord dangling from the mike and possibly tripping him or her up. IF I were doing a gig that required my walking around with my figure on stage or into the audience, then I'd certainly want a wireless headset or lapel mic since holding/supporting my figure with one hand and working his/her controls with the other doesn't leave many hands left to hold a mic, wireless or wired, unless you happen to be from Mars like that guy on that episode of "The Twilight Zone":o) IMHO:o)
CaptKirk;

I can and I will use a wireless stand mic; I think I am going to wind up with a wireless lapel mic, a face wand mic and a standard, on the stand type of wireless mic; I already have a wired mic that came with the P.A. system I purchased.

I am learning that unlike a Vent Stand the mic is a personal preference and I don’t have the experience to discern the difference.

What is fascinating here is the diverse problems that occur using different types of equipment; and of course Dan will have his own wireless mic thanks to blueshawk1’s great idea; he was kind enough to look up the schematic and post it here.
I've used 'em all. Do some TV as well. On TV, if I'm on solo, a wireless lapel mic takes the worry out of things. However, if it's an event broadcast, I use a handheld, simply because that makes it all more showbizzy. For years the handhelds have been wired, but you learn the choreography of dealing with a wire. The last couple of years, the station has had wireless handhelds, which makes it all a lot easier.
If, however, you need to juggle a figure or a clipboard or anything else, the handheld makes it a little more difficult. It's fine on a stand, but it limits your resources if you have to take it off the stand. If you're not planning on moving around or using props, handheld with stand is fine. If you ARE handling props and moving (and you've said you want to do some magic), wireless lapel mics take a lot of the difficulty out of things.

-Philip
Message: Posted by: Steve at The Dummy Shoppe (Feb 2, 2011 05:13PM)
Almost more important than the issue of wireless/wired is the issue of the shape of the mike relative to the location of your mouth. Poor placement there can drive the back half of your audience insane trying to understand you. Dan Horn did a wonderful seminar last year at the ConVENTion on Mike placement. He showed some examples of wrong vs. right and it was staggering in the difference of the sound.

Steve
David. Good point! I've been using a wireless head set for year. I wouldn't use a lappel one live, they are too prone to feed back!
I've just started working comedy clubs and cararet spot where you have a mic on a stand, it's a whole new learning curve. I'm getting there but...
[quote]
On 2011-02-02 18:47, ColinDymond wrote:
I've been using a wireless head set for year. I wouldn't use a lappel one live, they are too prone to feed back!

[/quote]

Would anyone know why a lapel microphone would give feedback and a headset, or a microphone on a stand will not?
I've never had feedback problems. Lapel mics are supposed to be directional toward the wearer. I'm gonna guess that feedback trouble could result from:
(A) A relatively inexpensive lapel mic (No offense, Colin).
(B) Getting out in front of the speakers with a relatively inexpensive lapel mic.

-Philip
Also, under certain conditions,
(C) Getting out in front of the speakers with a relatively expensive lapel mic. with the gain jacked up.
The lapel mic is further from your mouth, so it has a wider pick up field. (Can't think of the technical term right now.) A headset or handheld are more directional and closer to the mouth. Basically what happens, the mic will pic up its own amplified signal and create a feedback loop. Handhelds and headsets will do this too if you position them wrong or cross in front of the speakers.
So I should, or should not purchase a relatively expensive lapel mic with a high gain adjustment, or I must not get out in front of the speakers with a relatively inexpensive lapel mic, or do not place the lapel mic far from my mouth… ok I got it now….

Adding a little joke…

So I think by the comments, a quality lapel microphone with speakers well placed, pointing away from the performer, near the mouth with the volume correctly adjusted is a good choice for some venues
Because the lappel mic is further from your mouth you have to have the system turned up more so more risk of feedback. It does depend on lots of other factors but generally you don't use lappels for live work.
I can move my head set mic to change the volume if I need to.
[quote]
On 2011-02-03 04:38, ColinDymond wrote:
Because the lappel mic is further from your mouth you have to have the system turned up more so more risk of feedback. It does depend on lots of other factors but generally you don't use lappels for live work.
I can move my head set mic to change the volume if I need to.
[/quote]

Colin;

Thanks for the clarification

Buzz
Ha! Everybody's got an opinion, eh? Mark Twain said it's differences of opinion that make horse races. I've never had trouble with lapel mics and I make it a policy to always be alive. Oh, we also forgot to mention the body mics that we hide in our hair or tape around an ear. Those are pretty good, too...and not unlike the headset mics. I've actually had those feedback, though it is rare. This is all fun to read. :)

-Philip
[quote]
On 2011-02-03 10:15, Servante wrote:

This is all fun to read. :)

-Philip
[/quote]

Thanks Philip;

I am new here and some times when I start a new topic I wonder if it will be successful and informative, or I will receive a comment like "what is he going to ask next"?
As I've told you before, Buzz...you've livened up the place considerably.
It's not like we needed a tummler...just somebody with lots of questions and observations and enthusiasm to get us all talking and remembering why we love the art so.

-Philip
I have been very happy with my wireless headset mic that I use with my Mipro system. Since I move around a lot it works great!!
[quote]
On 2011-02-03 10:33, Servante wrote:
It's not like we needed a tummler...
-Philip
[/quote]

Wow! How many people know what a tummler is? Hint: I haven't heard that term since my days in the Catskills.

B
I've been showbiz all m'life, Bob. It just rolled off my tongue and through m'fingers! :)

-Philip
[quote]
On 2011-02-03 13:40, Bob Baker wrote:
[quote]
On 2011-02-03 10:33, Servante wrote:
It's not like we needed a tummler...
-Philip
[/quote]

Wow! How many people know what a tummler is? Hint: I haven't heard that term since my days in the Catskills.

B
[/quote]

noun
a male entertainer, as formerly employed by resorts in the Catskill Mountains, who combined the duties of a comedian, activities director, and master of ceremonies to keep the guests amused throughout the day.
any lively, prankish, or mischievous man

So am I the: male entertainer from the catskills who combined the duties of a comedian, activities director, and master of ceremonies to keep the guests amused throughout the day; or am I the lively, prankish, or mischievous man
Message: Posted by: Steve at The Dummy Shoppe (Feb 3, 2011 03:38PM)
Buzz,

Be both. That increases the number of people that will hire you!!!

Steve
A tummler keeps people amused and interested and engaged and having fun. Keeps things stirred up so people don't get bored.
And I didn't say you were a tummler. I said we sorta needed, "somebody with lots of questions and observations and enthusiasm to get us all talking and remembering why we love the art so." :)

--Clarifying Old Uncle Philip
Returning to the sub topic; the microphone; I have looked at the over the ear wireless microphones performers have been using on Youtube and don’t like the look of it.

As previously decided here, I am going with the wired mic on a stand as recommended and now I am thinking of the old style mic and stand pictured below. I can use it as a prop, and by placing it below my chin it's not covering my mouth.

I am also thinking I can use a large mic to cover my mouth while venting a word I am having trouble with, until I am expert and perfected every word; this is just a thought, this idea may not work, I can try it to see how it looks.

What are the thoughts of using a large vintage microphone?

[img]http://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee369/Buzz-Lawrence/Shure55.jpg[/img]
I've never used one of those vintage mics, so I don't know how the are to perform with, I know they look cool as anything.
And as far as using a mic to hide lip movement, it sort of works, I've seen a lot of people do it (oops, guess it didn't work that well if I could see what they were doing).
[quote]
On 2011-02-09 11:31, blueshawk1 wrote:
so I don't know how the are to perform with, I know they look cool as anything.
[/quote]

Even if the mic does not work as a mic, I can use a lapel mic and just use this great mic as a prop
My lip control is terible so I use that behind the mic technique too but I don't recomend it to a newbie vent. It will only give you false confidence as far as lip control is concerned. Better to really practice decent if not perfect lip control.

Lapel mic even if its the expensive type has a higher possibilty of feedback if used in a live show :)

I highly recomend a headworn mic or an earset mic.
That mic is a Shure 55 SH series II mic, and they still make 'em! They look very fifties, and they're great mics. I know. I own three of 'em!

-Philip
Message: Posted by: Steve at The Dummy Shoppe (Feb 9, 2011 07:25PM)
They have a really cool look. Takes you back in your minds eye to the days of Bergen.

Steve
Check out my avatar. The sideshow I was performing for that day uses one of those. They're Shure microphones, so the quality is good, and they are surprisingly reasonable in price. I love the vintage look too. I'm planning on getting one myself.
[quote]
On 2011-02-09 11:42, Wanlu wrote:
My lip control is terible so I use that behind the mic technique too but I don't recomend it to a newbie vent. It will only give you false confidence as far as lip control is concerned. Better to really practice decent if not perfect lip control.

Lapel mic even if its the expensive type has a higher possibilty of feedback if used in a live show :)

I highly recomend a headworn mic or an earset mic.
[/quote]

Wanu;
Thanks for the comments; it is helpful to remind me not to get sloppy. I practice daily now using a video camera at home and a voice recorder in my car while driving. It was decided by all that I should perform using a microphone on a stand; this is the microphone I am thinking of purchasing. I think this microphone is classic and the benefits of using it is to dress the stage.

By the comments posted so far, it looks like a good choice. The added benefit of this microphone is that I have the ability to hide my mouth when necessary, now while I am learning and when I become as experienced as you, even now you say you use the ploy of hiding your lips at certain times, even if I use it as a prop and use the wireless for the sound.

I was also thinking of experimenting by buying a second microphone and placing that one in front of Dan for effect.

Concerning the feedback problem; as for now, the P.A. system I own is a portable, battery powered unit similar to Mark’s that can be placed in front of the stage preventing feedback.
[quote]
On 2011-02-09 20:25, Steve at The Dummy Shoppe wrote:

They have a really cool look. Takes you back in your minds eye to the days of Bergen.

Steve
[/quote]

Steve;

Fifty years from now you great grandson Steven III will be here on The Magic Café posting;

They have a really cool look. Takes you back in your minds eye to the days of Lawrence.
[quote]
On 2011-02-09 17:10, Servante wrote:
That mic is a Shure 55 SH series II mic, and they still make 'em! They look very fifties, and they're great mics. I know. I own three of 'em!

-Philip
[/quote]

Philip;

If you like them, it is a definite plus for me to purchase it
[quote]
On 2011-02-09 22:45, Mr. Pitts wrote:
Check out my avatar. The sideshow I was performing for that day uses one of those. They're Shure microphones, so the quality is good, and they are surprisingly reasonable in price. I love the vintage look too. I'm planning on getting one myself.
[/quote]

Ditto here If you like it as well, it is a another vote for me to purchase it.
You know what... I might just get one of those vintage looking microphones :)
[quote]
On 2011-02-10 12:15, Wanlu wrote:
You know what... I might just get one of those vintage looking microphones :)
[/quote]

And if you get one, you have great sound fidelity with plenty of opportunity to hide your mouth in back of the microphone for words you have trouble venting.
[quote]
On 2011-02-10 13:47, Buzz Lawrence wrote:
And if you get one, you have great sound fidelity with plenty of opportunity to hide your mouth in back of the microphone for words you have trouble venting.
[/quote]

AAAAAAAAAANNNNGGGHHHH! Wrong! :)

I hate it when I see vents do that--and I've seen plenty do it. My contention is that your lips can move like Bergen's when you are as good as Bergen.

B
[quote]
On 2011-02-10 15:34, Bob Baker wrote:
[quote]
On 2011-02-10 13:47, Buzz Lawrence wrote:
[/quote]

AAAAAAAAAANNNNGGGHHHH! Wrong! :)

I hate it when I see vents do that--and I've seen plenty do it. My contention is that your lips can move like Bergen's when you are as good as Bergen.

B
[/quote]

Some day in the future, you will write:

My contention is that your lips can move like Lawrence's when you are as good as Lawrence.

IMHO
Hi Bob,

I want yo buy one of those Elvis microphones for aesthetic reasons and certainly not for hiding my lips :bigsmile:
Message: Posted by: Steve at The Dummy Shoppe (Feb 10, 2011 08:09PM)
You need to keep your lips mostly visable, just so that the folks can see that they are NOT moving.

Steve
[quote]
On 2011-02-10 21:09, Steve wrote:

You need to keep your lips mostly visable, just so that the folks can see that they are NOT moving.

Steve
[/quote]

Steve, at my level of profincy now, if I keep my lips mostly visable, the folks can see that they are moving!!!

I am not as yet prepared to perform my magnificent routine in the presents of my adult fans in my one man show on Broadway;

I must first take my show on the road; my first scheduled appearance will be out of town; performing for two year old kids in day care. They don’t care if my lips move; they just want to see the figure talk.

That is how I will hone my skill; a microphone will not be necessary to hide my lips.

The wired microphone on a stand will come across as professional.

The microphone I purchased on the recommendation of the experienced members here in the forum will give the impression of being very elegant on the stage.

Last, but not least; Steve, go to page four of this post third from the bottom for a complete explanation of the lip comment.