(Close Window)
Topic: Tray jack table (waiter's stand) vs. Tripod table (music stand/trap table)
Tray jack table (waiter's stand) vs. Tripod table (music stand/trap table)
Advantages/disadvantages. Discuss (please)
Thanks!
[quote]
On 2011-01-28 05:26, Magic1 wrote:
Tray jack table (waiter's stand) vs. Tripod table (music stand/trap table)
Advantages/disadvantages. Discuss (please)
Thanks!
[/quote]
Never used the trap table, but I love my tray-table! I can flip it open with one hand & slap the top on it & I'm ready to go! The trap table cost over 3 times more & looks heavier to me so I've never been interested.

Sir Richard.
Music stand better if your taller and is adjustable.
Tray jack/keyboard stand for stability 100%, and for portability 75%.

I say this from experience, having used both.

If stability isn't a total priority for you- say perhaps you are not using the table to support or move about more than 3 kilos, and not doing a vigorous C&Bs, you can probably use a tripod table with no problems.
Tray Jack as has been said for stability, and the separate table top not only supports your cups and balls, etc, the other side allows for promotional signage as you carry it about, and later as you set up. I don't even put my table top on, until I have already drawn an edge. I leave the top with sign out facing the traffic until time to use it.

The tray jack with straps is also easy to sling over your shoulder and carry, and still leave your hand on that side free.

That all said, my tray jack finally broke, due to my carelessness, but it took a lot of abuse before that. So now I actually use an aluminum keyboard stand. And it seems to work pretty well with a similar concept as the Tray Jack.

BroDavid
aka The Doctor
Thank you guys! Starsini said that his trap table (a pro version of a tripod/music stand) is just as heavy as a trajack/keyboardstand/tabletop setup- but I don't understand why it should be. I guess I have to go check it out. I like doing chopcup, so not too vigorous. I just want light and good. Any suggestions- I know there are threads on this, but what is the lightest keyboard stand? 39" is the perfect height for me. Thanks!
For what it's worth, there is an aluminum Trey Jack stand that stands higher than the wood one. It costs about the same but is not as nice to look at as the wood is, IMO. I've used the musical keyboard stand & they work okay, but I still prefer the wood trey jack stand myself. You are probably going to have to experiment a bit and see which works best for you.

Sir Richard.
Message: Posted by: Ivan Nikolayevich Ponyryov (Jan 29, 2011 06:43AM)
If you want light and functional I have made use of my case on its end- it is a aluminium tool briefcase type of thing- with a large coffee can on top of it and a 12 inch by 5 or 6 inch photo frame with a cut up close up mat inserted in the frame on top of that. It is portable and you can lift the frame up at the end and wait for the tips to fall in the coffee can.
One nice thing about a wooden tray jack is that you can easily drill holes in it.
[quote]
On 2011-01-31 11:14, Frank Starsini wrote:
One nice thing about a wooden tray jack is that you can easily drill holes in it.
[/quote] an excellent point, Frank!
Key Board stands are easy to drill as well.
I carry a black drape to throw over the stand to cover it visually, and the black stnd part that does show at the bottom is not at all visually distracting.

And I have put a few holes in mine as well, for hooks to hang a bag, etc. I place my knapsack under the draped table to keep it from prying eyes. It is black too so it hides there handily.

BroDavid
aka The Doctor
Keyboard stand all the way. If you want to see a sweet rig, check out what Kozmo uses. You can see it in Tales From The Street dvd if you have it.

Its a keyboard stand, wood padded top, and a servante from Frank's site.
Anyone who uses a keyboard stand is no friend of mine dammit! I'm drawing a line in the sand RIGHT HERE! :heckno:

THIS WILL NOT STAND!

Who's with me? :devilish:
I know you're joking Gaddy, but why
[quote]
On 2011-02-02 06:01, Magic1 wrote:
I know you're joking Gaddy, but why
[/quote] Not a day goes by where I don't ask myself that same question....
I dropped about $80 on a strong keyboard stand from best buy. It's been well worth it. I'm not one to treat my props well, so the wooden table didn't last long.
Hmmmm I am still stuggling with this one. I want a small table which I can collapse down and put in a laptop bag and take onto a plane....I will be doing gambling routines and chop cup so I am thinking tripod....if it is strong enough....which is the sticking point.
If anyone needs a street table I suggest they contact Jazzy Snazzy, a member of the Café. Jazzy builds some really great custom stuff, including wands and tables (and a bunch of other stuff). He's been a busker himself for 30 years, so he knows exactly what we need and he knows how to make it.
Waiters stand is way more stable. You get people leaning on the table etc. You want stability. Nothing worse than a kid knocking over your table before the pitch.
plus if you're on uneven ground the tripod stand will be leaning a lot more and more unstable.
Thanks for the kind words Chance. New table designs are in the works right now and I'll post photos asap.
I prefer folding Harbin myself, but if I had to abandon it I'd go with a tray jack/keyboard stand.

You know, in fact I believe I have one in the shed... *ponders*

Tripod bases, in my experience, have serious stability problems and don't stand up to the abuse busking brings.
Wasn't trying to be kind, Jazzy. If the table you send me is half the table we've designed on paper, then it's going to be the nicest busking table I've ever seen, bar none.

No kidding guys. It looks freaking amazing. Do yourself a favor and PM Jazzy for details. Order your table while he still has some extra materials laying around from doing my project. You'll get a much better price that way.
Been in touch with Jazzy Snazzy. What a wonderful, helpful, lovely guy!