(Close Window)
Topic: An idea for crochet balls
I'm not sure if this has been discovered previously. I have not run across anything to suggest that it has, so my apologies if someone else has covered this already. I wanted to be able to hold a ball in the hand in the "classic" manner easily, without it slipping out of my grip. I also wanted a ball that would not roll or bounce very much. The crochet balls are great in terms of not rolling or bouncing, but the surface is not particularly conducive to a good grip for "classic." (Yeah, I know, finger p*** is the preferred method - call me crazy.) So, I did an experiment with liquid latex rubber, which worked out really well. I mixed about four tablespoons of liquid latex rubber (mold builder) with about three drops of so-strong color tint (smooth-on) and coated the crochet balls with two coats (let dry in between) using a sponge rubber applicator. (You could use red food color, but I've discovered that it takes a larger quantity of food coloring than the color tint. The food coloring adds more water, which weakens the rubber, which means the latex will be more sticky, and will break down sooner.) Then I vulcanized the balls in an oven at 170 degrees for 6 hours (without vulcanizing the rubber, the rubber remains too sticky, and the balls tend to stick together and mar the surface when they're pulled apart.)

The result is balls that are a dream to hold in classic - they practically stick there by themselves with very little effort. It's possible to hold the balls in classic in a very natural manner, with fingers apart, and without a stiff, clamped look.

The downside is that they look a little more unusual than ordinary crochet balls. No one has ever commented on this, so I assume it's not much of an issue.
How do they do when under a cup and you slide the cup? Do they grab?
Did you try 1 inch Fakini balls?
It may save you some work.

But if you have moist hands a rubber texture is your enemy.
Rubber balls cannot be gripped easily in CP if the palm is moist.
Cloth balls are difficult to grip in CP if your hands are very dry.
So I came to the conclusion that it is not the balls fault if I can't palm it.
It is because of the moisture condition my palms are in.

My answer to your problem is Golden Touch - a little dab'll do you.
I realize you don't have the necessary posts to get into the Secret Sessions, but this really belongs there. Make six more posts, so we can put this thread where it belongs.
Bill Palmer - sorry. You're right - it's hard for me to judge exactly where the line is, probably because I don't have enough experience on this forum. I hope I haven't screwed up too badly.
That's okay. You won't know until someone gives you some guidance.

The Fakini balls are really good for this.

I have posted an answer in the secret sessions, so when you get FIVE more posts, you can find it here:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=401071&forum=37&0
If I recall a certain set of magic makers cups used to come with rubber "crochet" balls i.e. a crochet ball had been molded and cast in rubber. These might be worth looking into for you.

-Todd
I mentioned that in the thread in secret sessions.
Bill, have you ever worked with Monkey fist balls constructed of leather? I actually made a set and IMO they look awesome. I havent used them quite yet so I'm unsure of their workability.
Yes, I have. They are fairly easy to hold on to, and they don't roll. That's two big pluses.
Message: Posted by: J.G. the magnificent (Feb 16, 2011 09:22PM)
Great post I realized the grip problem myself and used cork balls. Then discovered they are too grippy and tend to grip to the cup. I like the part about monkey fist balls. I have seen them sold online and thought they were just another fancy item for people to make money off of. I now realize they have a reason besides a different look. I should try some out one day. If I can't make them myself I should buy some. I know how to do the large ones used for ships. Small would be different.
Incidentally, are the standard crochet balls for C&B usually machine made or hand-made? Made mostly in the U.S or elsewhere (China? India?)

Fortasse
I'm pretty sure the balls are crocheted by hand. Though I'd love to see a machine that could try.

I think the big question here is also, How can you use the C.P. for the whole routine without flashing. Won't say it can't be done but I think it takes a good thing a bit too far. I love the C.P. and do it with everything I pick up but for C&B it looks like the technique is controlling the effect.

There is a very very pro coin worker I simply cannot! watch because whenever he starts I can see his hands shouting "No Coins C.P.'d Here!" I'm wondering if you might get the same effect if you are relying on the C.P. so much. Only thinking out loud.
Good point.