(Close Window)
Topic: Musket balls?
I was in a castle museum today (yeah, they have castles here in England...go figure!) and in one display that had musket balls and small cannon balls. The musket balls looked like a great size for a cups routine, and the cannon balls (the small ones) looked to be a great size for final loads.
Has anyone every done anything using a theme like this with similar props?
Not a bad idea, though I personally don't get too involved in the names and the histories of the props. I'm sure someone can make use of this.
This guy has

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BStk17pe5Q0
Might go well with the castle shaped cup(s) I found a while back.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=363537&forum=115
That's what I was hoping for Payne! Thank you for the link.
Sorry I missed you in Seattle - I ran outta time like usual. I'll be back in April. Please don't hate me.

Lint - like the cups! That's a cool idea.
Muskets have balls? I didn't even know they showed any external signs of gender. Must be like bunnies, all covered with fuzzy flaps and such.
My mom had a bunny. Its name was Elvis Parsley.
[quote]
On 2011-02-03 17:58, kentfgunn wrote:

Muskets have balls? I didn't even know they showed any external signs of gender.

[/quote]

Really? I thought a musket was little more than an external representation of the male gender.
Is that a musket in your pants or are you just all fired up?

Said the Gunn . . .
[b]BADA BOOM![/b]
Kent's been spending too much time with his kids.
That YouTube link with the Pirate doing the C&B routine put me to sleep since I could not hear a peep (I am deaf). Kind of wish he had not used brass cups because they don't look the part of the routine. Copper cups with aged patina would have looked better with the outfit he was wearing. What in the world is a pirate doing with a magical wand, why not use a dagger instead? Yeah I know it would be difficult to spin a dagger, but at least it would fit the profile better. Those steel balls must have been difficult to handle with those brass cups.

I am assuming he was using brass cups.
... and to me he looked DRUNK.

Posted: Feb 4, 2011 5:04pm
MADE ME THINK... A STACK OF DUBLOONS WOULD BE GREAT TO WORK WITH.
I'll pick some up for you when I hit the dubloons store on my way out of town, Pete. Good thing I have a club card. Love the discount.
Need 12 to make four stacks of three.
Don't push it.
Kieth, I can see how you'd be board, you really need the patter for that routine, he was doing Bill Malone's rub a dub dub routine, which is actually fairly entertaining.

Pete, since his characterization is taken straight from Jack Sparrow on the Pirates of the Caribbean, he'd have to act a bit drunk. Now, whether he actually was, I couldn't tell you.

As for Doubloons, I've played with them before, the biggest pain is that because they are not struck consistently, they don't usually stack well. I've seen them for sale in different places, more recently, here: http://www.amazon.com/Lot-100-Gold-Doubloons-Chest/dp/B001CDEFIW
Paul Gertner - Cups And Steel Balls

This is a great routine. Full instructions are in his book. I think he did do a DVd as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0cGxqYZp6M
Paul's routine is one of my favorites. Granted his props and them are geared toward the Pittsburgh steel industry rather than antique weaponry. ;)
Greetings and Salutations,

That's Capt. Thom Bedlam, performing at the St. Louis Pirate Festival a couple of seasons ago. As we all know, Disney is ruthless in the protection of their copyrights, including Capt. Jack Sparrow. Capt. Thom does plays a tipsy pirate magician, and to the uninitiated and non-lawyers, he could be confused with Capt. Jack, but Capt. Thom is his own man and character. (As far as I know he doesn't get "into his cups" until after the specs have been cleared from site.) It is the rub-a-dub cups-and-balls theme, and done remarkably well. I've seen him do it several time and always to good effect on the specs, which is the audience that counts. As for the cups and wand, well, some faires/fests are more "authentic" then others but judging by the laughs and hats Capt. Thom gets, the audience doesn't particularly mind.

Joe Zeman aka
The Mage Ulysses
I was doing a routine with musket balls and a cannonball with the cups that were made from the HMS Victory timber, but I was afraid of cracking the cups with that large ball.
Bill,

You 'da Man!

Now that's historical authenticity!

Joe Zeman aka
The Mage Ulysses
I'd think those cannonballs would weigh you down something fierce.
Native Americans in the early 1800's played a game with a musket ball and three moccasins.
It is played the same as the cups and balls in the aspect of hiding the musket ball in
one of the three moccasins and the spectator must guess which it is in. This would be
great for a frontier or colonial gig.
Well, if the shoe fits ;)
[quote]
On 2011-02-04 13:14, Pete Biro wrote:
[b]BADA BOOM![/b]
[/quote]

Two tom toms, a snare drum and a cymbal fell over a cliff.

BADA BOOM Ching!
You guys crack me up!
Never, I repeat.... NEVER a dull moment around Bill Palmer.... gotta love him !!