(Close Window)
Topic: Nathan Kranzo Tearify Newspaper Mindreading DVd
Message: Posted by: Jean-Luc.R. (Feb 9, 2011 06:33PM)
This is my short review for Nathan Kranzo Tearify dvd:


Video performance

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uM3CeLpLz4E



The Blurb:

The Effect
The classic Newspaper Test stripped down to its bare essentials. Done with NO GAFFS, GIMMICKS or extras. No math, no thinking other than presentation.

A page freely chosen from a newspaper is torn into dozens of pieces. ONE piece is selected. ONE WORD is thought of on EITHER SIDE of the piece of paper.

You then slowly reveal their thoughts with 100% percent accuracy. Or for those Too Perfect Theory guys 85% accuracy if you'd like. It is under you complete control.

On this DVD Nathan Kranzo will take you through the history of the Newspaper Test starting with work from over 100 years ago to present date.

You see Nathan perform the effect at a theater for real people. You will learn his incredibly simple method that has fooled many.

You need no extra papers or any gimmicks at all. You can be handed any paper and perform it naked.

Nothing added, nothing taken away. A blockbuster classic effect. STRONG MENTALISM made simple.

**BONUS EFFECT**
For the first time Kranzo Teaches the Leech Newspaper/Magazine Test.
This impromptu test destroys people and you'll want to perform it for the rest of your life.


My thoughts:

The routine:

It is a classic easy to do routine you can do with almost any tabloid newspaper.
Mr Kranzo have a nice twist to f... the page.
Really like this routine.


The dvd production:

Sorry to say that but it is the worst dvd quality production I ever seen in many years.

Mr Kranzo is sitting in front of his PC in a corner of his living room and you barely see his face..
Only his chest!!!!
The dvd was made I think with a Mac software by himself.
This is just not professional at all.

Poor,poor ,poor production.
I consider not buying anything of such poor quality in the future.

I understand that the content is more important than the packaging.
But when you only see a chest in a living room,something must be wrong or made in a hurry!!!!


I am sad because it is a strong trick that I will do.
Message: Posted by: Decomposed (Feb 11, 2011 09:59PM)
What say you Nathan? It looks like a great mind reading effect, perhaps a pdf will come soon?
Message: Posted by: Andi Peters (Feb 12, 2011 05:40AM)
This trick is tearable! :-)
Message: Posted by: Tony Iacoviello (Feb 12, 2011 10:24AM)
Honestly, I don't care about the production value, just the content. My only question is , does it differ and/or add to the work already out there on this?

Tony
Message: Posted by: paisa23 (Feb 13, 2011 01:37PM)
Im kicking myself for not making my way to see this effect live. Nathan was in San Antonio a few weeks ago and would have loved to see this live. I do not own this DVD as of yet but that was because I was really hoping to get this from him personally. Um I'm kinda torn about the issue. I believe that if the effect is strong and one will do this then the packaging can withstand SOME scrutiny. However I do believe that if it is a DVD then it kind of has to be viewable as too learn the effect but if you cannot make it to the end because of how bad it is then there is a problem... I have some of Nathans dvds and if this is like his others then yeah I see really no problem with the way he does things but if it is Like you say then that sounds like something a bit different then what I am use to from Nathan... other then that I really want to get this to do in my class. However I tend to read into things too much. Can this be done with ANY newspaper or is it mainly a Tabloid paper? PM me if must... NATHAN COME BACK TO SA ILL MAKE IT NEXT TIME I PROMISE!!!
Message: Posted by: jjsanvert (Feb 13, 2011 03:36PM)
From the video performance I saw, this is a VERY POOR version of the Newspaper Prediction...
Message: Posted by: thorsten dankworth (Feb 14, 2011 02:29AM)
The video on youtube isnīt available in my country.....strange.....
Message: Posted by: msmaster (Feb 14, 2011 05:26AM)
Does kranzo claim this as his original trick?
Message: Posted by: Nathan Kranzo (Feb 21, 2011 12:04AM)
No it's not original to me. That is even covered in the ad copy.

You get to see a performance in a theater. THE EXPLANATION is filmed in a home setting similar to many of my past videos.

I obviously don't give much thought to fancy production. You buying the techniques and tips etc. that's all fully explained. I understand some people want a highly produced entertaining DVD. Sometimes that's cool. Most times you just want the work.

This is the work.

JJ Sanvert why do you think its bad? If I said you had a bad Zarrow shuffle I'm sure you'd want me to elaborate no? : )

All the best,

Kranzo
Message: Posted by: Jared (Feb 21, 2011 10:44AM)
This is a workable method and Nathan's presentation is fine. However, 'Tearify' doesn't bring much new to the table in terms of method. It might be useful for somebody wanting to learn more about this classic effect. Nevertheless, my main complaint was the poor camera work. You should have included your face in the frame because it would make for be a better overall viewing experience. I had to watch this dvd twice because I fell asleep the first time. Anyway, good luck with the release.

-Jared
Message: Posted by: nimrod (Feb 22, 2011 04:14PM)
[quote]
On 2011-02-12 11:24, Tony Iacoviello wrote:
Honestly, I don't care about the production value, just the content. My only question is , does it differ and/or add to the work already out there on this?

Tony
[/quote]

I second that.
Message: Posted by: Dr. Magic (Feb 22, 2011 09:28PM)
[quote]
On 2011-02-13 16:36, jjsanvert wrote:
From the video performance I saw, this is a VERY POOR version of the Newspaper Prediction...
[/quote]

JJ, we all respect your work, so please clarify.
Message: Posted by: stevenamills (Mar 3, 2011 10:07AM)
[quote]
On 2011-02-12 11:24, Tony Iacoviello wrote:
Honestly, I don't care about the production value, just the content. My only question is , does it differ and/or add to the work already out there on this?

[/quote]

Personally, I couldn't disagree more. Not only does quality production ease and enhance the learning process, but lack of production shows a dismissive attitude towards the purchasers. We magicians accept crap WAY too easily and justify it with stale platitudes.

Good production isn't difficult. It is the result of care, thought and planning. It takes very little extra time to do it right.
Message: Posted by: aussiemagic (Mar 3, 2011 10:15AM)
If the video is any indication, it is a very poor version of Al Koran's masterpiece. Compare it to the Al Koran version on youtube!

Performers who release poor quality material only do themselves a disservice! I put them in the Jay Sankey column! ie, never buy from again!
Message: Posted by: Brandon Sheffield (Mar 3, 2011 08:24PM)
Some times I wonder how anything gets done in magic at all. So much negativity!

This is a worker trust me. Its deceptive, easy, just about self working, and hard hitting. Is it better than Korans? I think its a matter of opinion. I do Sanverts cannibal routine, and Ive seen it slammed before. Ive also seen a lot of people say Eugene Burgers version is better. But I keep performing the one routine I like. Because I like it better than the others.

My point is this, If you like Nathans then use it! And you don't like it then don't use it. But don't make comments with out supporting your opinion with something other than "Korans was better" or "I don't like it" I'm sure we all perform routines that other people "think" they have use a better version.

Its all a matter of opinion guys.
Message: Posted by: Nathan Kranzo (Mar 4, 2011 11:53AM)
Please DO watch the performance on Al Koran on youtube. OMG that is the most dry presentation ever. The whole thing seams odd. I won't win any awards for my performance but I think it was a tad more personable.

Not only that but in the Koran version you tear the paper after the number is chosen which is MUCH weaker.

I love Al Koran and his books. His methods and thinking are brilliant. But I can't believe you'd say that lame clip is better. Its cool because its Koran....but that is about it.

But whats cool is YOU CAN THINK THAT. I can't change your mind nor do I want to. Just don't use it. Period.

But if you DO want an easy method that works ALL THE TIME and actually is part of my act. You can get it here for a very low price....

http://kranzomagic.myshopify.com/collections/frontpage/products/tearify-newspaper-tear-by-nathan-kranzo-mentalism

This entire thread is hilarious to me because people love this effect.

Mind you...this is an effect that has been a hit at my lectures and one of the guys that just saw me lecture JUST posted.

Either everyone that has seen me lecture is wrong.....or some of y'all need to get a life. You be the judge....

And regarding the video. Give me a flippping break. I think often times if the DVD was presented in a Sterling Silver platter with MTV production people will still complain about DVD navigation or some other BS. This is part of what is wrong with magic.

If anyone REALLY wants to see my face I'll send you a head shot.

Later,

Kranzo
Message: Posted by: Domino Magic (Mar 5, 2011 03:18AM)
So you build yourself up by putting Koran down.

That's classy Kranzo.
Message: Posted by: Andi Peters (Mar 5, 2011 03:36AM)
I just noticed that kranzo is an anagram of koran (if you remove the z).

I wonder if that has anything to do with the rivalry?
Message: Posted by: jjsanvert (Mar 5, 2011 03:53AM)
Ok, the reason I think this is a very poor version of this effect is because there are la lot a possibilities to switch the chosen paper in this video - and I think people will realise this too. If you ask them "what did you think of this effect?" thay will respond "he switched the paper" - period. I am performing a technical variation of the Berglas' Newspaper prediction, which is much much better than this version. Just check out the Berglas book, and you will understand why...
I am sure this version is very easy to perform - and that is the problem.
Message: Posted by: aussiemagic (Mar 6, 2011 06:50AM)
The clip seems to be edited. Why?
There is no one on stage when the counting is done!? That is suspect in itself...
hmmm... You think it is better than Koran's?

I love the arrogance!
Message: Posted by: CSMTREE (Mar 7, 2011 12:05PM)
[quote]
On 2011-03-03 11:07, stevenamills wrote:
[quote]
On 2011-02-12 11:24, Tony Iacoviello wrote:
Honestly, I don't care about the production value, just the content. My only question is , does it differ and/or add to the work already out there on this?

[/quote]

Personally, I couldn't disagree more. Not only does quality production ease and enhance the learning process, but lack of production shows a dismissive attitude towards the purchasers. We magicians accept crap WAY too easily and justify it with stale platitudes.

Good production isn't difficult. It is the result of care, thought and planning. It takes very little extra time to do it right.
[/quote]

Kranzo, I bought the dvd and I would have to agree with Steve. It's not about wanting to see your face or wanting a head shot. It's about being professional and putting forth the effort to give the Magicians (your customers) a decent product. The way the recording was done is actually a distractor to some degree. Please don't get defensive, take the feedback and do better next time. It's a good (not great) effect that will work.

All my best!
Bill
Message: Posted by: jjsanvert (Mar 9, 2011 01:41AM)
You can now shoot in HD with a cell phone!...
Message: Posted by: Domino Magic (Mar 9, 2011 08:00AM)
[quote]
On 2011-03-07 13:05, CSMTREE wrote:
It's a good (not great) effect that will work.
[/quote]

And that's really the problem here. Koran's Headline Countdown IS a great effect. I don't care what Kranzo says about knowing the number before you start tearing the paper. That's a magician talking, trying to improve mentalism that he doesn't fully understand. I think the problem most magicians have with it is they can't do the math under pressure.

To Kranzo - I'm happy you are blowing them away with this at your lectures. You're blowing away a room full of magicians, which I suspect is a large part of the shows you do. For me, I'm not looking to fool a room full of magicians. And regarding Koran's presentation - it's over 50 years old! Of course his presentation, mannerisms, way of speaking, etc is going to seem dated, but honestly, who in their right mind is going to mimic Koran if they do his Headline Countdown? The method is solid. It's still deceptive and amazing. Just don't put down someone else's method/presentation to try and boost yours.
Message: Posted by: ted french (Mar 15, 2011 05:27PM)
A couple things I want to point out. The Koran effect is brilliant. Kranzo has released many great items and he is an accomplished sleight guy as well as a guy who can come up with the clever self working stuff. The dudes got credentials so I would think we ease up a little and not treat this guy as if he's just some youtube kid cashing in to make a quick buck. I know for a fact that Kranzo does this stuff mostly for laypeople in the hardest venue their is, adult comedy clubs that are hip so for that alone I have respect for the dude. As for production value, I will be the first to tell you that it is very pricey to make a DVD of high production values so I can see why many performers go for the corner of the room style instructional videos.