(Close Window)
Topic: Recommendations on a Digital Player
Thanks to recommendations on the magic caf,

I have my background picked out; the large Magic Background with side panels.

I have the figure table purchased; the Gibraltar table and the Al Good table.

I own the P.A. system

I purchased the Shure 55 microphone with a stand.

Now I have looked at Axtell and found music I want to add to the production.
Make It Magic CD Volume I
Magic Performance CD
Make It Gospel CD

I want to transfer the Axtell music to a professional digital player; that has the capability to be connected to my P.A. system; it should be outfitted with controls that by the press of a touch screen or digital button at the appropriable time in the routine would play the chosen recorded music. This player would be similar in design to an iPod.

Does anyone know of a reliable product that will accomplish this?
I am still researching the purchase of a system.

Does anyone have experience, or comments about the MP3 Tech remote linked below?

http://www.theceswebsite.com/products/audio/mp3tech/index.html
I use it in every show, and it works perfectly. Kerry Pollock, the owner, gives great customer service.

Bob
I second the mp3 Tech. Its the best on the market and the customer service is incredible.

Tom
Bob & Tom;

This is the first comments Ive received concerning the music cueing system posting. The Tech MP3 is also the largest single expenditure for equipment that I will be spending.

Since both of you have recommended the MP3 Tech I will purchase it; I have researched other units and was not happy with any of them;
I see no use buying equipment and storing it, so it will be one of the last items I buy when I am ready to perform, along with the Magic Background.

I am starting my Sunday school shows at the beginning of March and I think I will be ready to perform in front of an audience within the next 2 months; youtube videos will be coming soon.

I already purchased a battery operated PA system and the Shure 55 microphone; I can use this PA system for venues with no power; I have decided that I want to incorporate a superior P.A. system to go with the MP3 Tech.

So guys, what do you use?

Buzz
Buzz,
When I carry my own sound, I use an Anchor Extreme system, single or double speakers. They provide a clear speaking voice and work equally well in indoor or outdoor settings. I used them for audiences up to 1,000 approx.

When working corporate events, I plug into a variety of systems because they are provided by the client. Every sound company I've worked with has fallen in love with my MP3 Tech.

You may also want to call Joe Lefler. He sold the current system VentHaven Convention is using. I was very impressed with it.

One thing I would recommend when you purchase your system - get a small powered monitor for the stage so you can hear yourself. I had never worked with one until last year - now it is a requirement! They make a major difference.

Tom
Buzz,
A number of my friends use Anchors and love them. People seem to like the dealer Florida Magic for their service. I have a Bose L1 System 2 for larger shows and a Fishman SA220 for smaller venues. I like these because the have linear array speakers and nicely fill a room (especially the Bose).

Tom,
Which small powered monitor do you use?

Bob
Bob & Tom;

I am sold on the MP3 Tech, and it is a definite purchase; I have been looking at different types of sound systems today and my eyes are crossed.
Tonight I signed on and saw both your latest posts; My first thought was that you guys got together in a PM and decided to see how much money I will spend on a sound system; LOL well Bob, you won; the Bose system was the limit.

I must admit that when I read the sound equipment prices, I did have to take a moment to recover.

After careful thought, if I am going to succeed with my future as a ventriloquist I must be heard with equipment that will be reliable and project superior fidelity; nothing I do as a performer is going to be more important than to be heard clearly.

Because both of you have used the systems you have recommended, I am going to make a choice between the Anchor Extreme system and the Fishman SA220 system.

As for a vendor; Joe Lefler has an excellent reputation and is a reseller for the MP3 Tech; his price for the MP3 Tech is a lower price than the CES web site. I clicked on sound systems and was redirected to his other site, Magic and Sound Systems.

I am going to call them on Monday and see what sound equipment they have and if I can get a package price.

I will let you know the results of my conversation.

Thanks again, you both have been a great help and confidence builder.
Message: Posted by: Steve at The Dummy Shoppe (Feb 19, 2011 06:52AM)
[quote]
On 2011-02-19 01:25, Buzz Lawrence wrote:
Bob & Tom;

. . . nothing I do as a performer is going to be more important than to be heard clearly.

[/quote]

Yes, because we all know a mime is a terrible thing to waste. . .

Steve
http://www.thedummyshoppe.com
Steve;

My buddy Dan has many jokes for mimes.

All the jokes typed here were typed without moving my lips

Q: If a tree falls on a mime in the woods, and there's no one there to hear it, does the mime make a sound

Q: When you shoot a mime, do you use a silencer?

Q: When a mime gets arrested, is it useless for the police to tell him he has the right to remain silent?
Message: Posted by: Steve at The Dummy Shoppe (Feb 19, 2011 08:35AM)
Great ones. I'll jot them down. I'm sure I can get a laugh or two with them. Thanks.

Steve
I forgot to put the Buzz Lawrence & Dan 2011 on the post, well too late now
Message: Posted by: Steve at The Dummy Shoppe (Feb 19, 2011 09:40AM)
Buzz,

No worry. I don't perform, I just irritate folks at Church with my brand of humor. Makes em glad to hear the Preacher!!! - lol

Steve
[quote]
On 2011-02-19 10:40, Steve at The Dummy Shoppe wrote:
Buzz,

I just irritate folks at Church with my brand of humor!!! - lol

Steve
[/quote]

Where were we, oh yea I was waiting for Bob and Tom to lead me into temptation with PA system discussion
Tom & Bob;

Ijust talked to Joe and he recomendes this unit, he tells me that it is an update to the Anchor System, here is the link and the information. Can you give me your comments PLEASE?

http://www.soundprojections.com/pdf/sp_retailprices_0310a.pdf

FR-3neo Freedom 100 watt battery & AC powered music and voice "talkover" sound system 1,588
100 watt, 36 pound Battery and AC powered dual Class H Bi-Amplified sound system with
Neodymium speakers and "Talkover" function. 110 to 240VAC universal AC power input and
external speaker output. Provides 100 watts total power to the internal speakers and FR-3C biwired
companion speaker. 110-240VAC.
NOW INCLUDES OPT-HB1 HEAVY-DUTY BATTERY AS STANDARD.
12 amp-hour battery Increases operating time up to 70% over standard battery
Message: Posted by: Steve at The Dummy Shoppe (Feb 19, 2011 02:50PM)
Buzz,

I don't know about Bob's schedule, but if Tom is not right regular with his postings, he is on the road performing somewhere. I'm sure both will be back at it soon. I would give you my opinion, but in this area if I gave it and you took it, we would both be fools.

I'm glad to see that you have been talking to Joe Lefler. I got to know him quite well last year at the ConVENTion and that is why I recommended him to you early on. He is tops in his field.

Steve
Steve;

Thanks. I called Joe and we got along very well, he is a fine man and very interesting; he has many years of experience and is ready to share it.

The company he would like me to get the sound system from is located in Los Angeles area so I can drive down and pick it up.
Hi Buzz,

have you taken a look at the [url=http://www.apple.com/ipodshuffle/]IPod shuffle[/url]? I use it with a [url=http://www.shure.com/americas/products/wireless-systems/performance-gear-systems/index.htm#tab-1-3]Shure Performance Gear Guitar/Bass wireless system[/url] and iTunes playlists clipped to my belt I can cue my sound almost invisibly...

I use it through a [url=http://usa.yamaha.com/products/live_sound/pa_systems/stagepas_300/?mode=series]Yamaha STAGEPAS300[/url]
Buzz,
I honestly don't remember the name of the system we used at VentHaven. I know it was easy to set up and sounded great. Joe recommended that one to Mark & Ken, so if he recommends this one, take his word.

One thing to think about is power. I prefer light weight equipment, so I went with the Extreme Anchor because it has no battery. That means I require power - so that is in my rider. I'm sure you'll hear all kinds of positives about having the battery option - but for me, its never been a problem getting electric.

Bob - Its a TC Helicon VSM-200 Powered Monitor. I was in a small town and it was the only thing they had in stock. Probably paid too much, but I love it. Very small, very powerful and very directional. I set it on the stage a couple feet in front of me and it makes a real difference!
Tom
Joe mentioned the system he is recommending to me was the same larger system purchased for Venthaven, Mark had purchased a smaller Anchor system; I dont know which system you looked at.
[quote]
On 2011-02-19 18:52, tacrowl wrote:

Bob - Its a TC Helicon VSM-200 Powered Monitor. I was in a small town and it was the only thing they had in stock. Probably paid too much, but I love it. Very small, very powerful and very directional. I set it on the stage a couple feet in front of me and it makes a real difference!
Tom
[/quote]

Here's a tough situation. TCHelicon has discontinued its powered monitors. There are still some around for purchase, but do I want to buy a discontinued product???

B
[quote]
On 2011-02-19 18:37, Tim Dowd wrote:
Hi Buzz,

have you taken a look at the [url=http://www.apple.com/ipodshuffle/]IPod shuffle[/url]? I use it with a [url=http://www.shure.com/americas/products/wireless-systems/performance-gear-systems/index.htm#tab-1-3]Shure Performance Gear Guitar/Bass wireless system[/url] and iTunes playlists clipped to my belt I can cue my sound almost invisibly...

I use it through a [url=http://usa.yamaha.com/products/live_sound/pa_systems/stagepas_300/?mode=series]Yamaha STAGEPAS300[/url]
[/quote]

Tim:

Thanks for dropping by;

I am frightened by iPods; batteries dying the screen are too small, then the wires and equipment connection.

I really need to concentrate on my lip control and routine.

I think for an experienced guy like you, it works fine.
[quote]
On 2011-02-19 19:27, Bob Baker wrote:p
Here's a tough situation. TCHelicon has discontinued its powered monitors. There are still some around for purchase, but do I want to buy a discontinued product???
[/quote]

I figured Tom knows whereof he speaks. I bit the bullet.
Bob:
I truly believe that both you and Tom, knows exactly what youre doing; and I benefit from all your experiences.

Did you buy the TCHelicon?
You are kind, Buzz. Yes I did.
Very good Bob, now I need to get one
I reread your post about the PA system that you were impressed with. As I remember the conversation I had with Joe, The system Mark purchased from Joe was the FR-3neo Freedom, so this is the unit I am going to buy for myself; along with the MP3 tech

Along with the Jeff Jones backdrop,

I am ready.

My show can go on.
Bob,
I had no idea it was discontinued. I've used it a lot. It is ruggedly built and holds up. Plus, I love it because it is so small. The monitor was actually made to go on a mic stand - but the wedge shape makes it perfect for the floor. Hope you like it as much as I do.
Tom
[quote]
On 2011-02-20 10:35, tacrowl wrote:
Bob,
I had no idea it was discontinued. I've used it a lot. It is ruggedly built and holds up. Plus, I love it because it is so small. The monitor was actually made to go on a mic stand - but the wedge shape makes it perfect for the floor. Hope you like it as much as I do.
Tom
[/quote]

If I can find one, Ill buy it as well
Buzz,
When I recommended the monitor, I just said "small powered monitor" - the TC Helicon just happened to be what was available in that small town and I ended up loving it. My advice, if you can't find that one, is to visit a music supply house that sells systems. Talk to them and actually hear a couple of small monitors - then pick what you like. Using a monitor makes a HUGE difference.
Tom
Buzz:

Find it here:

http://www.amazon.com/TC-Helicon-VSM-300XT-VoiceSolo-Comprehensive-Microphone/dp/B000U28CLW

Bob
Thanks Bob,

Tom has the 200, you have the 300, would anyone know the difference?
Mine's bigger.

:) :) :)
Lol!

Its also less expensive!
So, now us guys are measuring the size of speakers?

I will have to get the 400
Go right ahead Buzz. Figure you guys must be compensating for something... :D
I compensate because I still move my lips on Vs, Ps and Ws
Today I ordered the Freedom FR-3Neo PA system, I have to go to Los Angeles in the beginning of March and I am going to pick it up then.

I will then order the MP3 Tech player and a stage monitor

If you want to look at the PA system here is the link.

http://www.soundprojections.com/portable-sound-systems/freedom.html
I forgot to post here that I received the Shore 55 microphone a few days ago but could not plug it into my small PA because the wire connection was incompatible; yesterday I purchased a wire with the correct connections and plugged it in last night, the difference in fidelity between the cheap microphone and the Shore was incredible.

I did have to raise the volume because the microphone that came with the PA was directional and the Shore is held about 7 inches BELOW my mouth;

I can see where this may be a feedback problem, but need to experiment when I receive the PA system I am purchasing from Joe.

So, the recommendation from all you guys to buy this Shore 55, was 1000% right on and I am very happy with it.

Thank you again
Buzz,
Now that you've spent all your money on a great system - let me offer you another bit of advice. As you found with the Shure, there are different plugs for different systems. Most microphones use either a 1/4" plug or an XLR (3 pin). Radio shack sells transformers for these to convert from high to low impedence. They are usually about 4" long and allow you to plug an XLR into a 1/4" system, or, the 1/4" into an XLR. They are great to have in case you decide to plug into an existing system.

I also carry RCA plug Y to 1/4" adaptors. This lets me take my MP3 Tech into a 1/4" plug - or, using the transformer above, an XLR direct box.

Adaptors are handy to have - you never know when one will save your show!
Tom
Thanks Tom,

When I purchased the cord, I looked at the converter and was told from the tech that if I were plugging the microphone into a guitar amp, a connector is the best option; plugging the mic into a PA amplifier requires a cord for the best sound. I didnt ask why, but buying connectors would save me in the future.

I will take your advice, and get connectors when I see the connections the new PA system has and inquiring from the tech at the music store what other connections I may encounter on future clients systems.

Now I have two cords, one that came with the Shore and the cord with a inch connector I purchased for the small PA system I just bought
Ok the question I now have is should I get the PA system with the CD player build in, or without the CD unit.

I am buying the TECH 3, but I am also thinking that if I use the system in another type of event that I am not performing, such as a party I may attend, or allowing a nonprofit organization use the system at an event, music can play throughout the event and I will not be risking loaning out my $1,700.00 accessory for possible misuse; or is the extra CD accessory risking additional breakdowns?
Buzz,
You'd never loan out the MP3 Tech. It is made for cuing music, not party playback. My personal thought is without the cd player. Its another thing that can go wrong.

When I am working events and want pre-show music, I usually hook up my iPod. You could also get a portable CD player and just plug it in. They are cheaper and easy to replace if there is a problem.
Tom
Ok Tom;

Thanks its what I will do, let them know that I will supply the PA, they need to find the music source.

Today with all the iPods and MP3 players, its not a problem.

Great advice
Well guys today I officially ordered the Freedom FR-3neo Portable Sound System with 'Talkover' from Joe.

I need to go to Los Angeles the second week of March and will go to the distributor and pick it up, saving the approximately $100.00 shipping charge.

So now all I need is the MP3 Tech and I have what Bob and Tom both tell me is a very nice system.

I have read here that there is a PA for small shows and a different PA system for large shows, why cant my system be used for both large and small shows?
Message: Posted by: Steve at The Dummy Shoppe (Feb 24, 2011 07:43PM)
Buzz,

I have stayed out of this one so far for lack of experience in the field, but sitting next to Joe for over 4 days at VH, I heard the answers he was giving out repeatedly.

Logically you would think that the system you use for big shows would be ok to use in little shows. We understand why small would not be big enough for a big show, but I heard Joe explain that "big" will overpower a small room and you will not be happy with the distorted sound that results.

Now I will wait for Tom and Bob to step in and tell me that I misunderstood, but that is what I recall Joe telling folks (usually in some very colorful terms).

Steve
Well I agree with you on that one Steve, Joe is very colorful, I really like him.
At one time, I had a about four sound systems. Not worth the trouble. Joe is correct that a large system can easily over power the room, and with reduced volume, sometimes creates a muddy or muffled tone because the speakers aren't being driven. The truth is, if you do a proper sound check prior to the show, you can compensate for a large system in a smaller room. You don't need to be loud - you need to be heard clearly.

When working with my Anchor system, for smaller shows I only use one speaker. The Anchor has a switch that allows it to throw the sound further in an outdoor setting. For larger rooms or outdoor settings, I'll add the slave speaker and use the switch. Buzz, unless you want to spend more money, you should be fine...

Tom
Whew I am glad you said that, I dont want to spend more money, so the system I am buying is sufficient for all rooms.

Joe has advised me that the Freedom FR-3neo Portable Sound System with 'Talkover'

is a superior system than the equitant Anchor system.

Thanks Tom
I read the post, I am getting old and they place the keys so close together, my fingers are large, sometimes dont hit the bulls eye.

equitant = equivalent
I received the MP3 Tech yesterday, it is great to use, Im glad I got it; The software is easy to use and the player remote worked the first time.
I received the PA system today, I plugged it into the MP3 Tech and it works perfectly

With a push of a button it moves to the next tune and queues up;

A push of another button and it fades out,

Push another button and it pauses

Push two buttons and it backs up

And I can do all this without moving my lips

It sounds terrific, could not test the higher volume because of the neighbors,

I will take to out to the park tomorrow and set it up for a decibels intensity test

at low volume the Shure 55 microphone has a really great sound; I sound like a radio announcer.
In my excitement I posted this in the coloring book thread; I thought Id cut and paste it here to keep the thread on topic

I am excited about completing the sound system; quality sound is so important and even on my first performance I want to have the sound queued without any hitches be heard clearly above the noise of kids and look professional to the parents.