(Close Window)
Topic: What is you favorite sucker trick?
Mine is the Sucker Sliding Die. I have been performing that trick for years. I used to include Hippity Hop Rabbits years ago, but no more. At times I've used Fraidy Cat Rabbit.
The Coke bottle trick (that would be the one that goes from paper sack to paper sack and the sacks end up being crushed) or the Torn & Restored Napkin are two of my favorites to perform.
I love to do the vanishing ketchup bottle as well as the spot card. I just try not to put too many sucker tricks into any one performance. I try to pace my show well with different types of effects.
One sucker trick is the maximum.
Zombie I agree unless you figure out how to do it in such a way where your not "underminding" your audience.
In many ways, most magic is a sucker trick. We convince the audience that one thing is happening when another is actually happening.

I don't do any tricks where the kids are made into a sucker for the simple reason that I am amazed when the magic happens.

E.g. in the sucker die box I get more and more upset and panicy as I open all the combinations of doors. I finally "give up" and open all four. When the die is gone I am surpised as the children. :die:
Nicholas I like that idea and use that myself. I also allow the troublesome props and things to happen to me and not the child.

The child is made to do everything right and I am the one who gets things wrong. They are the ones that create and make the magic happen. Because of this, they feel good about themselves and are eager to help me out so they to can make the magic happen themselves.
What exactly is a sucker trick?
This was explained early on in this thread. you may want to look back and reread the posts as I think you will get a better understanding. Hope this helps.
Tubby the Clown, Bashful Bunny work well with kids.
I only use one per show, at the most (sometimes not at all). Sometimes, however, a sucker trick can be presented not as a sucker effect, so then you may possibly see more than one in my show.

I use:

- Pizza Oven Surprise (used lots! Easy to theme and personalize)
- Fraidy Kat Rabbit
- Run Rabbit Run
- Die Box (there's a great routine in David Roper's "Comedy Magic Textbook." Non-sucker, but funny!)
- Double Hippity Hop Rabbits
- "Santa and His Elves"
- Christmas Hippity Hop (homemade, based on an idea in an older UK magazine, something like Abra)

Not as often, but now and then:

- Dan's Magic Van
- ABC Stung
- Stop Light Trick
- "He Is Risen" (gospel effect)

The Gr8 DonaldD.

P.S. I still want to purchase and add Mel Babcock's (House of Babcock) "The Elusive Teddy Bear."
Supreme Magic Co.'s Comedy Clock DeLuxe. It is a Die Box done with a large clock.
Supremes' Bunny Clown is my all time favourite
sucker trick.
:donut6:
[quote]
On 2003-11-29 19:50, mattg wrote:
[/quote]

A sucker trick is one where the audience thinks they've figured out how the trick is done (e.g. turning the rabbit around, tilting the pizza oven to the left), but in one dramatic moment, is proven wrong.

As a youngster, I loved being fooled by sucker tricks, but obviously I'm in the minority.

If you're just starting in magic, you owe it to yourself to pick up a copy of Henry Hay's "The Amateur Magician's Handbook", where he defines a sucker effect as follows: Method of leading the audience to think that they caught the magician, and then fooling them twice as hard.

[quote]
I use:

- "Santa and His Elves"

The Gr8 DonaldD.

[/quote]

Could you provide a brief description of this effect, or perhaps a URL? Sounds quite intriguing.

I agree that Pizza Oven Surpise is a very versatile effect. By changing the sliding (or rolling) piece and taping false fronts to the oven doors, you can have a themed effect for almost every occasion.

I can see where the Elusive Teddy Bear can add an extra dimension to this, as you can have your character appear (or in this case, re-appear) somewhere else other than someone's back, a change bag, or a pizza box.
There is a "Santa and His Elves" Trick on this site:

http://www.hocus-pocus.com/static/xmas_page.html

It basically is a themed "Stop Light Trick".

I like it. As I talk, I give little elf voices, etc. Great for preschool/daycare shows.

The Gr8 DonaldD.
I use 2 'sucker tricks' in my show, but in both cases, I feel that I have eliminated the 'gotcha' aspect.
I use the Pizza Oven. I feel that the pizza ending up on my back quickly diffuses any bad feelings that I have 'tricked' them. I also use a couple of extra jokes during the sliding back and forth.

I end my show with a “Hippity Hop Astronauts” themed version. The blow-off pictures at the end are lighting bolts on the back of one astronaut and stars on the other. I put on some very schmaltzy music and I say to the kids, "It doesn't matter if they are black or white or red or green, what matters is that they believe in magic and themselves. If they do that... (I turn the cards around) then they will always be as bright as lightning and always reach for the stars." With the music underneath and my sincere delivery, I am getting 'AWWWs' instead of 'gotcha', which is a great way to end my show.
I like and use the idea of not understanding rather than having the audience or single member confused.

In fact when I worked and wrote a weekly radio show we created a character who repeated "I don't get it" many times during episodes he was in. The character was named Barry Pimento. His voice was a cross between Jerry Lewis and Peter Lore. In fact his voice and
character comes back in some routines usually as much a surprise to me as it is the kids. (I love scripted stuff and love improvisation/jazz family/kids magic.)

Harris
I also like the idea of putting the joke more on myself then on the children. For this reason, I love doing tricks like Pet Store Pranks where the kids always get the effect right even though I keep getting confused myself. The kids laugh, get good reactions and they feel good about themselves in the process.

Kyle
My favorite sucker trick is Hippity Hop Rabbits.
Farmyard frolics is great for young children.

Any kind of sliding idea (die box, cd, etc.)

Regarding tubby the clown, which is great, I prefer to avoid the "tubby" name for reasons of self-esteem and body image with youngsters. Rather, I call Tubby "Quick" because he is a quick-change artist in the circus. I then follow with all the standard gags of turning around, "turn quick" so I turn quicker rather than turning "Quick the clown" around, and so on.

This idea is original to me and has worked well. I came up with the idea on the way to a show a while back.
I don't use it often, as it is not my favourite, but will pull it out for repeat bookings. Real young kids need more guidance. Regarding the fact that he changed colour because you turned him around. This sucker trick works best for the 6/7's I'd say.

Just my thoughts,

j.
My favorite is the Dye Box. Always gets a suprised look from the adults.
Acrobatic fish is a good one
"you just turned it around"

I too act shocked when all three fish appear.
Bob:
I hope if your performing for children that the adults are not the only ones getting suprised looks and that the kids are the ones that are really having most of the fun. =)

Kyle
I love the acrobatic fish as well
PB & J. is my favorite. I have a good routine for it too.

Ron
Message: Posted by: Derek Rutt Creations (Sep 15, 2005 10:10AM)
I think that I agree that one sucker trick per show is enough .....and Kyle I agree that you should not make the child look stupid always blame yourself and that it is because "I made it myself"or Iam a rotten magician and when it works .....surprise surprise!!!
My favourites are sucker beaker vanish , hip hop rabbits or any hip hop oh dear there are so many and one of my own (who said big head) monkey business.
Derek
'Run, monster, run' - for pre-schoolers just works great!
Fraidy Cat Rabbit for kids, and Sucker Die Box for teens/adults.
Fraidy Cat Rabbit for kids.
Ton Onosaka's Lucky Lady for the grown up crowd. Or maybe bank night.
For me it's "Fishbowl Mystery" and "Grandpa's Tophat"... from the creative mind of Ton Onosaka.

Sal
I agree magicguyri - I've used Run Monster Run with great success for a long long time. It plays very well for the younger set.

~ Don ~
I do the Fishbowl Mystery for smaller groups and Supreme's Rabbit-Clown for larger groups or assemblies.

Jim
I'm a fan of ABC stung. I bring it out when its an older kids show and they think they have all the tricks figured out. It really gets them going.
Since I posted this thread, mine favorite has changed to PB&J and Fraidy Cat Rabbit.
This one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRAIqjWjYho

And also all the Ton Onosaka wonderfull flat tricks.
I love the Die Box; with the Roy Benson routine -- gets the adults while you're fooling the kids..
How come so few people mentioned Hippity Hop rabbits. I use it every show and the kids go wild.

Vijay
First, last and always, my favorite sucker trick is Silk to Egg.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Gee, a huge percentage of my act consists of
"sucker" tricks - with me being the suckee.

Just about every single thing in the act takes
me by surprise and doesn't work out the way it's
supposed to.

My definition for "sucker trick" would be:

"audience sees something you don't"

Hence, the following in my act:

Ping pong ball on nose ("what ball?")
Run Rabbit Run
PB&J
20-Century with Underwear (done to me)
Rabbit in Hat puppet routine
Sponge ball to Square

And more. Everything is planned out to
cause ME grief throughout.

Not sure if that's what everyone was thinking,
but it's a style that works very well for me.

And BTW, the sucker is NEVER anyone in anyway
associated with the guy/gal who signs the check.

--J
Hippity hop rabbist works well for me. However, I met a guy that made the hippity hop rabbits trick with ipods. I think that too many people have seen the rabbits that it has lost its mystery a little. I think if you dress it up differently you will get a bigger sucker effect.

Patrick
Turn the "sucker" trick around. Be the "sucker" in your show once in a while. Eliminate the "us" verses "them" theme. Let the joke be on you. Then, and only then, "sucker" the kids. Since you too have shared your vulnerability, the kids won't hate you and your "better than them" attitude. As Lance Burton said in the last of his 4 articles in Magic magazine, they gotta like you, before they love you.

:magicrabbit:
[quote]
On 2004-03-14 00:17, glodmagic wrote:
Acrobatic fish is a good one
"you just turned it around"

I too act shocked when all three fish appear.
[/quote]

yup, that's my favorite one too. A tie goes to the vanishing ketchup bottle. :)
[quote]
On 2010-12-31 18:33, pradell wrote:
Turn the "sucker" trick around. Be the "sucker" in your show once in a while. Eliminate the "us" verses "them" theme. Let the joke be on you. Then, and only then, "sucker" the kids. Since you too have shared your vulnerability, the kids won't hate you and your "better than them" attitude. As Lance Burton said in the last of his 4 articles in Magic magazine, they gotta like you, before they love you.

:magicrabbit:
[/quote]

Very true.
Currently, the one "sucker" effect I perform is Abbott's Twin Di die box. (Gets the adults while fooling the children.)

I used to perform Hippity Hop Rabbits and am thinking about adding them back in the act. (This one also, surprisingly, gets the adults while fooling the children.)

I also used to always perform the Silk to Egg. It always got good reactions but I got tired of the mess.
[quote]
On 2003-11-29 19:50, mattg wrote:
[/quote]
A Sucker Trick is a magic effect in which you steer the audience into thinking that they know hot the trick is done but the ending is something different or unexpected.
Egg Bag and Chinese Sticks can both have sucker elements in them. Half-dyed hank has a sucker element, in an understated way.
My absolute favorite sucker trick is Norm Niesons Vanishing Ketchup bottle.
[quote]
On 2004-03-13 23:03, Bob T. wrote:
My favorite is the Dye Box. Always gets a suprised look from the adults.
[/quote]
My favourite is the Man in the Moon.
It is like the sucker die box where the moon goes back and forth.
Spotty is my classic routine too. The key is to act as suprised as the children.
My favorite is Haunted House by Derek Rutt, it's similar to run rabbit run, but It comes with better gimmicks and ending.

Francis
I have been having an absolute blast with the "Jumping Silk" routine, the one with the three glasses glued to a tray, and the silk unexpectedly jumps into the middle cup. It's one of those routines where the joke appears to be on me -- not them. They go WILD. So simple and so silly, yet so much fun.
Quite a lot of my magic for children has a sucker element but I am always the sucker and the child is the hero. I find a get a much better response this way. At the end of a trick I want the children to be clapping, cheering or laughing rather than that feeling that they have been tricked by the magician.
My favorite is acrobatic silks improved by FAB magic. It is a trick that makes the magician look silly, and has a surprise ending. Of course it is just a pole with three silks on it, but performed with the right routine, and in the hands of a silly old magician it kills.
Ive always had great success with my Babbcock cube box. Works similar to a die box but different.
[quote]
On 2011-02-27 15:37, Al Angello wrote:
My favorite is acrobatic silks improved by FAB magic. It is a trick that makes the magician look silly, and has a surprise ending. Of course it is just a pole with three silks on it, but performed with the right routine, and in the hands of a silly old magician it kills.
[/quote]
I own one from FAB and it's going into a couple of my new shows. It works really well, putting the ones from other manufacturers to shame.
Revitalizing this thread, mine used to be any old die box.

But Smoky Mountain Pizza Box has taken its place. It's fun for everyone. The best.

Still looking for a better version of Acrobatic Silks than even the FAB version. In my opinion and without further discussion, the gimmicks should be larger than the other. But mine's a couple of years old and maybe they fixed that. PM me if you want or have more info on the effect.
Vanishing ketchup bottle in paper bag for me.
I build it up and wala gone.
Todd
I have gotten the most mileage out the die box, but at times I have most fun performing the 'pouring water from newspaper" as a sucker trick.
Depending on the sucker trick, I will typically not use a single volunteer, but have the entire audience be the ones that get fooled. If you play it properly its just fun for the entire audience to be wrong, but for one kid to be wrong in most instances that's just a bad idea. I always try to be very sensitive to how a kid might react.
The maximum amount of sucker tricks I use in my shows have been three. I have a fast pace using a lot of effects in my one hour show. If the magician uses a few tricks, I can understand more than one sucker trick is too many.
As someone else mentioned much earlier, the venerable
Fraidy Kat Rabbit is delightful.

It's a little more baffling than the Hippity Hop Rabbits and other "sucker" tricks designed chiefly for kids. This one will really fool most adults, too.

From a practical standpoint: It takes about one second to set-up or pack; it packs flat, yet looks large; it's relatively unknown to your audiences because not many performers are exhibiting this one these days; and it can be performed relatively close-up or just as effectively in a standard show at ground level or on a stage or platform.

I would suggest checking Gene Gordon's routine as a starting point for developing your own routine.

Julie
I have no problem using more than one sucker trick in a show. The key for me is to make sure the tricks are not too similar in the way they operate. For example, I would not do the Sucker Die box then do Pizza Oven Surprise in the same show.