(Close Window)
Topic: Best Public Speaker I've Seen/Heard
I'm currently in San Antonio for a special education law conference. The keynote speaker of the event was Keith Jones, who gave an absolutely phenomenal speech. If he didn't do motivational speaking, he could just as easily do standup...absolutely brilliant stuff.

http://dasoultoucha.com/PublicMotivationalSpeaking.html
Cool....hope you have fun, and remember, what happens in San Antonio can get your arrested in San Antonio.
One of my fav public speakers, wish he was still alive.

Click here to watch a great speech:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuvZq8I1m_M
You're kidding right? Maybe you put the wrong link.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmvgKx1KoQg

Come on really, wake up!
Noooo, this is a joke, you made some phony video of a really boring guy. You almost got me McAllister!
I'm scheduled to be in San Antonio the end of the month. Let me know if you find any discoveries.
William Cooper always pushed the envelope, great talk show.
He is missed for sure!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEsesnzDBvA
He's a drag and discusses nonsense like UFO's.

Wait....here you go lil' fella:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyrlcoKRjn0

I'm kidding, here is the most logical video I've found on the TRUTH:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdWBjqUGgvU&feature=related
Wow, Southpark..

Very convincing...
This might interest you McAllister. I actually predicted the bombings in writing on a magic forum. I was called all kinds of things by an LA based self rightious fellow and he carried on afterward that they didn't know 'who' had done it. Not only did I predict it, I stated the people who would be behind it! Your guy didn't predict it, he said that CNN said Osama mentioned it, I called it on 9-9.
Ok, back to reality. Billy Graham was the best speaker public speaker I've ever heard.
Barack Obama.
And I say this as one who dislikes his presidency intensely.
His opponents knew he was a brilliant speaker, hence the "Teleprompter" meme.
But I don't think I've heard a better public speaker in my lifetime.
Good topic.
He said a lot of things, and because he spoke his mind he was killed. You can say what you want
Santa, but maybe take that chip off your shoulder. He was a very talented man, have a little
respect.

I thought an old geezer like yourself had more respect
for people?

I predict a silly counter debate from St Nick again.

You want to believe what your Gov tells you, what
you see on television. Keep being forced fed,
get fatter and more uneducated.

Your insults and bullying are slightly amusing
but sad and childish.
I watched him for thirty seconds and wanted to smack him, I can imagine people wanted to kill him.
Mr. McAllister,

I donít usually come out and say this to anyone on a public forum butÖ..you and your favorite speakerís opinions are absolutely ridiculous! And as far Cooperís claim to have predicted 9/11Ö.never mind, itís ridiculous! This is childish.
That's your opinion, but you're wrong lol.
[quote]
On 2011-03-05 22:26, landmark wrote:
Barack Obama.
Good topic.
[/quote]

Yes, I have to admit, Obama is pretty good. But lets not get all Ga-Ga, Reagan was a far better speaker than Obama.
Oh Reagan:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7INABbOnLI
[quote]
On 2011-03-05 21:32, McAllisterMagic wrote:
One of my fav public speakers, wish he was still alive.

Click here to watch a great speech:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuvZq8I1m_M
[/quote]

What do you like about his speaking? How do you find him affecting or perhaps influential?
[quote]
On 2011-03-05 23:02, McAllisterMagic wrote:
Oh Reagan:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7INABbOnLI
[/quote]

Okay - he was a bit howdy-doody - but he did seem to be speaking to/for traditional American values.
Just saying he projected a suitable and reassuring image to the public.
[quote]
On 2011-03-05 23:00, Ken Northridge wrote:
[quote]
On 2011-03-05 22:26, landmark wrote:
Barack Obama.
Good topic.
[/quote]

Yes, I have to admit, Obama is pretty good. But lets not get all Ga-Ga, Reagan was a far better speaker than Obama.
[/quote]
Can't agree with you there. Reagan was effective in an avuncular way some of the time, but quite often befuddled, where you'd have to pinch yourself and go, what did he just say?
The one politician who actually swayed me with his rhetoric was Jesse Jackson. He spoke in New York during a primary run for the presidency (I forget which year this was, maybe 1984?), and I had no intention of voting for him. After listening to him though, I voted for him. He was enormously charismatic in person then, and very persuasive.
Persuaded a lot of companies to pay him off I tell ya.
Obama. ;)
[quote]
On 2011-03-05 22:12, McAllisterMagic wrote:

William Cooper always pushed the envelope, great talk show.
He is missed for sure!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEsesnzDBvA
[/quote]
Oh yeah, I've heard of him. He's the 'free citizen' who shot the sheriff's deputy in the head in (I think) Arizona.
Get ready for the one legged excuse Balducci.
Winston Churchill. Greatest orator in history.
For those who vote for Obama, good grief. He is not a great public speaker at all. Yes he has smooth transitions from one thought to another without awkward pauses, but don't mistake this for good speaking. He employs endless umma and ahhs and says very little. His voice lacks emotion and passion.
On a list of world leaders judged by speaking ability past or present, he probably wouldn't make the list.
Sincerely , Rod
[quote]
On 2011-03-06 08:07, magicfish wrote:
For those who vote for Obama, good grief. He is not a great public speaker at all. Yes he has smooth transitions from one thought to another without awkward pauses, but don't mistake this for good speaking. He employs endless umma and ahhs and says very little. His voice lacks emotion and passion.
On a list of world leaders judged by speaking ability past or present, he probably wouldn't make the list.
Sincerely , Rod
[/quote]

Then imho, you miss the point of being a good or great speaker...

By your definition, James Earl Jones would qualify, which he doesn't... (Although he is a good orator.)

Obama, and other great speakers, is good because of those "weaknesses" you point out.

Imho...
Sorry Pakar, I respect your opinions, but that post made absolutely no sense.
I wouldn't dare put myself on any great public speaking list, but I do have two public speaking awards and was voted valedictorian my graduating year. So, pakar, I would argue that I do have a clue about public speaking. To the average voter, mr. Obama sounds like a real smooth talker, and he is. But a great public speaker he is not. In my opinion.
Rod
[quote]
On 2011-03-06 09:45, McAllisterMagic wrote:
[quote]
On 2011-03-06 08:31, Pakar Ilusi wrote:
[quote]
On 2011-03-06 08:07, magicfish wrote:
Sincerely , Rod
[/quote]

Then imho, you miss the point of being a good or great speaker...

By your definition, James Earl Jones would qualify, which he doesn't... (Although he is a good orator.)

Obama, and other great speakers, is good because of those "weaknesses" you point out.

Imho...
[/quote]

Obama really??

If he was a good president, he would have pulled his troops out of Iraq yesterday!
[/quote]

Well, now you're talking about something else altogether bro...

Strange to bring that up when we're talking about best public speaker.

I think you wanna talk about something else... But, that's another thread. ;)
Yes, I think we're talking about two very different things. As I said, I don't agree with Obama's politics at all, nor as per Magic Santa's post do I think Jesse Jackson is the model of virtue. But I do think they are excellent speakers.

Churchill is another very strong candidate, most of whose views I don't ascribe to, though I think the intent of the OP was to pick someone somewhat more modern.
Obama has always reminded me of Bush 2. When he's speaking from a written speech he sounds very good. When he's speaking off the cuff he struggles to find the right words and many times doesn't.

I guess it depends on what your criteria is for a great public speaker. Is it some one who can read a speech well and sound convincing. Is it someone who can ad lib and say powerful things. I think there's many factors involved.
Zig Ziglar. The guy has a way to engage the audience, get the message across, get you to like him, and still do it with humor. Aside from that, Winston Churchill (the real one, not the one in "The King's Speech" :) ).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eS2rJP-udUs
When Obama speaks it is very contrived and inconsistent. Sounds like he's making it up as he goes along- too many ummms and ahhhhs.