(Close Window)
Topic: Silk To Egg Versions
I was wondering what most people use for silk to egg routines. My local magic shop is selling Tenyo's version. And online people mainly sell a version by Viking. I just want to know what people think of either one. Thanks. I am going in on Wednesday to see about purchasing one for myself. Thanks!
Brian
Take care!
Brian,

You may be better off buying a copy of "The Encyclopedia of Egg Magic", wriiten by Donato Colucci and published by Hermetic Press.

In the long run you may find that purchasing the book is a better investment than purchasing either of the marketed effects that you've mentioned in your posting.

Regards,

John
I couldn’t tell you which “Silk to Egg” is the best. All of the gimmicked versions are pretty much the same. A couple (Vernet being one) even break open to prove they are real. Most of the gimmicked Silk to Egg’s that I have seen vanish small silks. Less than 18 inches is small to my thinking.

Years ago (about 35 years ago if you want to know the truth), I saw a magician perform the Silk to Egg (it was J. B. Bobo at one of his School shows in Texas) and loved it! I went home and thought about how it could be done. I put together a version that I included in my act and it got a good response. I never thought about using a gimmicked egg!

I vanished a 24-inch silk, and showed the egg. I then “accidentally” flashed the hole on the egg. I appeared embarrassed that I was found out. Did a bit of Magic, and peeled the hole off the egg. It was a corner of a silk and it stuck out away from the egg like the corner of a hank would, glued on a bit of black paper (any bit of paper seen around the bit of silk looked like a hole in the egg!). I broke the egg in a glass and bowed!

No Gimmicked egg was used. One egg, with a gimmick stuck on it, one 24-inch silk, one dye tube and one glass to break the egg into is all I used to accomplish this minor miracle. It was months later that I discovered that Bobo used a gimmicked egg!

Pick one, and perform it! Plastic, ceramic, or brass (there is a brass one on eBay right now), they are all pretty much the same. It is the effect you are looking for, not the prop!

Hope this helps.
Thank you guys for your posts. I am interested in this subject because I just got a copy of "The Magic of Michael Ammar." I love his routine and wanted to practice it. :)
Thanks
Hey Brian!

I got the Viking Magic egg (BTW, someone told me that this is the one that M. Ammar uses now) on their web site for $9. Then just get three [18 in.] silks and presto, you're set! The reason you need three: you need two for the routine, then one to cut up and make into the "spot" on the egg. Attach a little piece of the third silk to the egg with some double-sided tape. This looks way better than the suggested sticker!
Don't cut up an 18-inch silk for a spot of silk! That is why the magic God invented 9-inch silks! I know most people believe that they were made for TT's but NO, they were made for silk spots on the back of an egg! Use a bit of the silk's corner so that it looks as if it is sticking out of a hole.

Hope this helps!
Thanks guys for the imput! I'm off to the magic shop now. Take care! :) :hamburger:
Oops, mumblepeas, you're right.... I have a 9" silk that I cut up. I didn't mean to say
'buy 3 [i]18 inch[/i] silks.' Get 2 [i]18 inchers[/i] and 1 "9 incher." Oh brother, today must not be my day! :rolleyes: :bawl:
Jeff, I suspected that is what you meant! I just didn’t want our friend Cool to accidentally destroy an innocent 18-incher!

I’ve seen the Viking Magic egg and I believe it is a good one. Not a bad buy!
If you can find a copy of the GREAT book by Lewis Ganson called [b]"The Magic of Faucett Ross"[/b] (try H & R Magic Books)

Ross gives the work on the T. Nelson Downs version. Very clean. No gimmicked egg is used, no switch.

Karrell Fox has a similar version in one of his books which he seems to have arrived at independent of the Downs version.

If you're going to use a fake egg and switch then I concur that the Viking Magic egg is very good. Most Viking stuff is superior. Wish they had wider distribution on their items.

"The Magic of Faucett Ross" by Lewis Ganson was published by Supreme Magic in England and is just begging for a reprinting. If you find a copy consider yourself blessed. (Ditto for any and all of the Karrell Fox books.)

[quote]
On 2002-04-23 10:22, mumblepeas wrote:
It was a corner of a silk and it stuck out away from the egg like the corner of a hank would, glued on a bit of black paper (any bit of paper seen around the bit of silk looked like a hole in the egg!). I broke the egg in a glass and bowed! No Gimmicked egg was used. One egg, with a gimmick stuck on it, one 24-inch silk, one dye tube and one glass to break the egg into is all I used to accomplish this minor miracle. [/quote]

Excellent touch, mumblepeas, using the bit of round black paper under the silk to suggest a hole. Your thinking is very similar to the version I mentioned that is in one of Karrell Fox's books. (name escapes me at the moment and I'm not on the home computer). Great minds think alike!

I love Karrell Fox's approach of EFFECT over Method. Who cares (except other magicians) if the method behind an effect is accomplished by knuckle-busting sleights as long as the effect is [b]the same[/b] from the audience point-of-view?
Not to worry mumblepeas, I would never destroy an 18 incher. I went to the magic shop, I saw the Tenyo version... it's very small. I don't like it. I am going to get the Viking version. But I searched their website, they don't have the egg's for sale by themselves. Where did you look exactly to find the egg you got Jeff?
Brian,

You have to search for "egg." Here is the link though, to make it easy. That address is [url=http://www.vikingmagic.com/cgi-bin/dc.pl?keywords=egg&html=full&key=482&options=]Here![/url]
Hope this helps!
Jeff,
You saved my life! Jk. :) Thanks for the link! I'll email ya soon.
John Pezzullo said that there is a book on the topic of egg magic well in the Tarbell course in magic there are a couple of chapters on the subject so you could look there for other ideas.

Regards,
TempleMagic
I purchased my complete routine from Duane Laflin several years ago, and it has held up extremely well after dozens of performances (I take very good care of my props) The egg is ceramic, and looks great. I sprayed it with a couple coats of low lustre finish just to help in keeping it clean. I don't know if he's still carrying them, but if he is, I highly recommend them for the value and the quality. Best regards, Christopher
My sister-in-law was heavily into ceramics several years ago and she made an egg that holds an 18" silk easily. Once you find a routine you like (Ammar's is very good), trot on down to your local ceramic shop and see if someone will make one for you. They are great!

:stuckinbag:
Y'know, I was at a local "paint it yourself" pottery place, and they have an egg that EXACTLY matches the Viking Silk to Egg gimmick. Anybody want one? I guess that if you even wanted to paint it a custom color, you could do that and have it glazed, but it looks VERY realistic just off the shelf.

Steve Thomas
Scout around craft shops and craft departments of large department stores. You may find white plastic eggs that are easy to cut with an Exacto knife. They are dirt cheap and you can't tell them apart from real eggs from 3 feet away.
Just be careful and do not drop your ceramic egg during your performance. :)
Hi,

The encyclopedia of silk magic vol. 3 has a large chapter on Silk and egg effects.

Joke shops have good inexpensive plastic eggs.

Yours faithfully

:devilish: Dan Kirsch :devilish:
I have the Vernet version, keep looking. The extra handling this model requires would be better devoted to a good switch.
I have used the Rice's Silk to Egg routine from Encyclopedia of Silks for thirty years. It is a great routine, very sensible and clean. I highly recommend it.

I have always used the Tenyo eggs, which I like because of the small size, equal to a small-medium size egg. I use dark blue 18" silks, and dark blue Avery stickers for the hole on the real egg.

The plastic egg and the Avery sticker both look great from even a short distance.
I have an old spun copper gimmick for this effect. It was, I believe, marketed by California illusionist Jim Conley in the 1960's. It is totally self contained, requires no switch, no real egg, or anything else. It sounds great! In fact, it is well made and could be effectively used on a large stage; but for closer work the gimmick would need to be painted like an Easter egg to hide where it cracks apart. This is an option that you might read or hear about. Unless you have a reason for a fancy painted egg, I would not suggest this method. I mention it for completeness in this topic. I think there is a plastic version being made by someone today.
Jim
I have seen Greg Wilson (Mark's son) perform this in his stage routine. And I saw Rich Marotta present it during a lecture. It is really a strong piece of magic. It made me go back to Tarbell Vol 1. I like the idea of using a dye tube to use a bigger silk.
Find out the manufacturer and quality of the egg before buying. I bought the catalog item
"silk to egg" from Hank Lee's on-line and was very disappointed with the quality of the egg received. It is literally a white plastic Easter Egg, complete with two egg halves glued together. I would not use this egg in performance, although it may be useful in an Easter egg hunt.

I should mention that I am still a happy customer of Hank Lee's. I have been ordering from them for 20 some years.
I've used most of the above mentioned, and I don't think it makes a big difference. The routine usually involves telling the audience that it is a "cheap plastic egg with a hole..." anyway... why do you want one that looks absolutely realistic? I use the self contained method when I'm doing a lot of back to back shows, but prefer ending with a real egg... I do think it adds something to be able to offer it to someone at the end.
I love the Mark Wilson version of the silk to egg with the half dollar as the magic wand. I don't know if it is his original or out of Tarbell, etc. :idea:
Just wanted to mention that I had a chance to perform for the 3rd graders at my daughter's elementary school. Included the version in "The Magic of Michael Ammar." Never felt any heat and got a great response. Months later, one of the children saw me at the neighborhood pool and remembered me as the magician. When I asked her if there was anything that she remembered or particularly enjoyed from the show, she said that this was the effect that she enjoyed the most. When I think real hard, I remember how powerful this effect was for me the first time I saw it as a non-magician.

Keith
Oscar Munoz recently lectured at our club, and he performs an excellent version of the Silk to Egg that DOESN'T use a fake egg - he only uses a real one!
You don't have to use a gimmicked egg. You could do a silk to egg using a changing prop and still achieve the same effect and you are clean then.
For those of you who want to use a gimmicked egg that looks realistic try this...

Take a real egg and poke a hole in the back (where the hole usually is for this effect). Empty the contents of the egg through this hole, and wash the egg out. If you are careful you can enlarge the hole with a razor blade or good pair of scissors. Leave the hole about 2/3 the size that you want it to be in the end.

Wash the egg out.

Make up some plaster of paris. Pour some plaster into the egg (fill the egg about 1/4) and swirl it around. don't worry too much if it comes out the hole, as it will sand off later.

Tip the remaining plaster out of the egg. Wait for that layer to dry, and repeat until you have quite a thick coating inside the egg (not too thick or you wont fit anything in there!)

Once this is done and dried, you can sand back the edges of the hole until they are the size you want, and as smooth as you want.

This is suprisingly strong once it is done. It will not be suited to all routines, but it is very realistic (well it is real!) and I know the guy that taught me had been using the same egg for about 6 months, so you can get a bit of use out of them.

Chris.
I'm thinking seriously of adding this effect.

I'm thinking real egg with the Mumblepeas (way ta go, Harry!) gimmick (earlier in this thread), a toppit with the sleeve pockets, a dye tube, and a large silk.

The idea is to use this as a running gag.

Do you really think, I'd be so sneaky, underhanded, and unprincipled as to use a FAKE egg with a hole in it? Why, if they never found out about me using such a dispicable method, they'd kick me out of the magicians union.

HOW CAN I PROVE that this is a REAL egg??

BREAK IT??

Do you realize that everytime you break an egg you are ABORTING a chicken??

I just can't bring myself to do it.

Set the egg aside, do another effect (maybe a flag effect, say. Go back to the egg, and inform the audience it's UNPATRIOTIC to end a life (even a potential chicken life) without "voting" on it.

You could stretch this out by inventing nonsence all through your routines, and finally break the egg as a finale.
I am getting a topit made into my jacket this week. I immediately thought of silk to egg. I figured another good way to do silk to egg would be by use of the topit. Anyway, tell me what you think.
Brian
Check out The Magic of Michael Ammar. It has a great silk-to-egg routine in there.
Has anyone purchased the Super silk to egg. I think this is the one that is a real egg and coated in plastic. I saw it at Tannens magic. Looked good and he droped it to prove it is solid. But does this strength hold up over time?
I have read this thread and I still am having trouble deciding on my first Silk to Egg routine. I don't know any routines so ideally, I would like to buy an egg that comes with a routine. Does anyone have any suggestions on a good egg and routine sold together?
The Best Silk to egg routine I have found is the 1st one I ever purchased. The sterling egg routine from DeVoe magic. Of course they are out of business for years in St. Louis,MO.

I have the Tenyo egg, but it is somewhat transparent. I painted the egg with Epoxy spray paint found at good hardware stores. Then I could use a colored silk other then white.

I also have the Viking egg, and the egg-traordinary eggs on the market. They are rather large eggs to handle. The egg-traordinary eggs are advertised to come in small, medium and large all the same price.
Bill

bill
I was in Hobby Lobby the other day, and found that they sell very realistic looking ceramic eggs in white and brown for 99 cents each. They also had some paper mache not so good looking eggs 3 for a dollar. I bought one, made a hole with my Dremel tool, and am very happy with it.
I have a plastic egg. I have sprayed it with white paint out of a spray can- use flat white- sometimes advertised as eggshell. It perfectly duplicates the egg colour. For the "spot" on the egg I use a round Avery sticker and colour it to match the silk in use. It is easy to remove. Cheers.
When silk to egg is mentioned, I am thinking of the Comedy version. The explaination that leads the audience down the path, but then you break it to prove it is a real egg and not a fake one.

You show your audience that you are using a fake egg with a hole in it.

To change a silk to an egg, without proof is not very magicial. I like the "Standing Ovation" I receive with the explaination version.

Bill :applause:
I inherited a great presentation for a vaudeville magician, and use an egg made of resin. I use a shuttle pass to change the eggs...timing. Keep it simple, the audience has no thought or knowledge of duplicates.

In addition, I have (got on ebay) Don Alan's version, made by Howard Bammann, where you reverse the trick pouring the egg white/yolk gooey stuff back into your hand, produce an egg and pull the silk back out. When I first saw Don do this it blew me away.

Remember, it is the routine and presentation. Keep the METHOD SIMPLE.
Wow thanks much Pete,

I have always been a big Don Alan fan. I have never seen that - guess he never did it on any of the available televised appearances. That is one I wish I could have seen.
There is a less known version called "Super Silk to Egg." It is very decent and the creator is a very nice guy.
Pete, can you elaborate a little bit on the Howard Bammann without revealing too much?
Here is your source for Silk to Egg eggs. They manufacture them. They also have non-hole eggs.

http://www.tirofoginc.com/EGGSACTLYEGGS.htm

These are ceramic type eggs, and come in 3 sizes. They are like the Viking egg, maybe a little thinner wall.

Many years ago Sterling Magic Co. which is out of business now made a resin egg. I used it for about 20 years until one day while packing up after a show I dropped it on the concrete floor. It cracked. I could have glued it but I would not be happy with that so I just made my own when the Mork & Mindy plastic egg with candy was on the market. I painted it and it worked perfectly. Now that Easter is here again there are many sources for eggs.

The original resin egg was actually coated over a real egg. The yoke stain was still inside. It was a yellow resin. Then I guess it was painted or baked on white coating.

What is the difference to the "Super Silk to Egg" compared to say the Viking or Rice Silk to Egg? Is the egg ceramic or is the routine the Super? What make it Super?
I’ve been interested and have been creatively thinking about approaching this routine in a simplistic, straightforward manner and thought I would share it with others to see what input you may have.

Rather than using a switch in the second part, why not bring out from the side coat pocket, in the left hand, in a concealed manner to the audience, a flexible thumbtip and the real egg. The audience already assumes that to begin with that you already have something concealed in your hand because of the first part of the routine demonstrating the putting of the silk into the fake egg.

If necessary, take a smaller silk, i.e., 9” and push it into the thumbtip (pretending to push it into the “fake” egg).

You’re completely clean and can dump the thumbtip. If you wish, you can bring out a wand and tap the egg. You can then roll the real egg around in your left hand explaining to the audience that you want to make sure that they don’t reveal the opening in the egg with the red silk showing through the hole in the egg; otherwise, this is a dead give away as to where the silk located. Proceed to peel the sticker off and break the egg.

Tell me what you think (pros/cons). Any input would be greatly appreciated. Does this have merit/ potential?
Man is it time to update this thread!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
[quote]
On 2004-03-28 02:32, wmhegbli wrote:
Here is your source for Silk to Egg eggs. They manufacture them. They also have non-hole eggs.

http://www.tirofoginc.com/EGGSACTLYEGGS.htm

These are ceramic type eggs, and come in 3 sizes. They are like the Viking egg, maybe a little thinner wall.

Many years ago Sterling Magic Co. which is out of business now made a resin egg. I used it for about 20 years until one day while packing up after a show I dropped it on the concrete floor. It cracked. I could have glued it but I would not be happy with that so I just made my own when the Mork & Mindy plastic egg with candy was on the market. I painted it and it worked perfectly. Now that Easter is here again there are many sources for eggs.

The original resin egg was actually coated over a real egg. The yoke stain was still inside. It was a yellow resin. Then I guess it was painted or baked on white coating.

What is the difference to the "Super Silk to Egg" compared to say the Viking or Rice Silk to Egg? Is the egg ceramic or is the routine the Super? What make it Super?

[/quote]

The Tirofog eggs are not ceramic but actually made from real eggs.They feel exactly like a real egg yet are as tough as nails. I squeezed mine as hard as I could and it did not break,although I don't recommened doing that.

Question for Chris Z

How do you get the plaster to adhere to the membrane that lines the inside of the egg?
Why would you want the plaster to adhere to the inside of the egg? You don't want a solid egg when you finish.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Silk to emu egg anyone?
See more emus at
http://www.dachshunds.biz the Magic ian family farm.
---------
You know, why not just blow out some real eggs and chip a hole out of the side of one, for the silk. Then, you wouldn't have a problem, have the expense, and certainly wouldn't have to worry about matching or realism after the switch?
Plus, I could see some real comedy effects, like crushing the egg and sprinkling eggshells over the real egg (magic pixie dust).
Ain't nothing like the real thing, baby!
I'm still highly impressed with Bob Sanders version of silk to egg, but I noticed that Mark Wilson recently released his silk to egg routine and props through Hocus Pocus, though I have no clue of what the props are like.

I bought Bob's at TAOM and have love both the feel and handling of these eggs. I still do my own routine, which isn't too unlike Mark Wilson's but different enough.
Hi Bob,
If I understood the original post the objective was to reinforce the interior of the empty egg shell with a layer of plaster. If the plaster doesn't adhere to the interior of the shell which is lined by the membrane ( and it won't) you end up with loose blobs of plaster inside an egg shell.
[quote]
On 2008-12-19 01:31, manal wrote:
Hi Bob,
If I understood the original post the objective was to reinforce the interior of the empty egg shell with a layer of plaster. If the plaster doesn't adhere to the interior of the shell which is lined by the membrane ( and it won't) you end up with loose blobs of plaster inside an egg shell.
[/quote]

For reinforcement, try polyurathane. It is essentially just a strong plastic surface. It is used on some "blown" eggs. I don't use it for anything but painted surfaces for protection. It is tough! (Plaster is not very tough and cracks easily.)

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders has a good version of this. He also has a walk around version. You would be wise to contact him.
Ray
Does anyone do a version of silk to egg without a pocket? I really like the routine, but usually perform without a jacket, just shirt with rolled up sleeves. I was thinking of using a small box of some kind on my stand; the silk initially vanishes to the box, use it like a pocket. It could also hold the glass to break the egg into; the box would hold all the props. What do you think?
Message: Posted by: Michael J. Douglas (Dec 23, 2008 08:12PM)
Profgizmo,
I've seen people do that before. Duane Laflin has a nice version like that in a set of his lecture notes.
Someone, whom I strongly suspect lurks on these forums from time to time, sent me a surprise package for Christmas of a Mark Wilson Silk to Egg. The props are very good. The egg is a strong resin material, looks and feels good, handles easisly, two red silks, A nice plastic wine glass for breaking the egg into at the end of the trick. A signed and numbered certificate of authenticity, and a DVD of Mark's routine. Excellent props and material, and Mark's routine is a classic one which he has performed many times over the years. I know hocus pocus carries them, and probably Mark and Nani have them as well, even if they aren't up on the website yet.
I thought it would be worth mentioning propdog sell a really good version of the egg. I would recommend it.
I am trying to find one I saw in a Japanese convention. It's made of soft shell. Can anyone offer some info?
I enjoy Lance Burton's version
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAzDrC_OHjU
Mark wilson's version suggested by joseph it also very entertaining as well.
[quote]On Nov 7, 2016, AndreOng1 wrote:
I enjoy Lance Burton's version
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAzDrC_OHjU
Mark wilson's version suggested by joseph it also very entertaining as well. [/quote]

Lance Burton has not released his version to the Magic Community and has not given anyone permission to use it.
Lance Burton's performance is amazing. Hope he release his version one day.
This is the old standard routine for silk to egg found in many magic books. Lance Burton does a marvelous job of it.

Dovelite ceramic eggs are sold around the world and are used by the pros all over the world. Our eggs will hold a 24" square silk. They are available in white or brown eggs. There is also a Walk-Around Version that resets for walk-around table magic.
Lance Burton performs a purely sleight of hand version using only a real egg and a silk only, no fakes. You can find the television appearance posted on YouTube. It was some kind of day show, but have been a local small talk show.

Experienced magicians can see and figure out what he is doing.
Is there a Tenyo version of this trick?
[quote]On Apr 7, 2021, mir11 wrote:
Is there a Tenyo version of this trick? [/quote]

There is but the common complaint with it is that the egg is too small. I have always found it to be just fine.
Another advantage of the DoveLite ceramic egg is that it will also hold 6 of the super soft 2" sponge balls. This can be handy for repeat routines.

These are never available in dealer shops.

I look forward to getting back out on the road and doing silk and egg lectures. Covid-19 has been a major interruption to the world of magic. (I've gotten my shots. Have you?)
Shows are opening back up. We are getting orders for our Silk to Egg and Walk-Around Silk to Egg props again here in the USA.

There is no easier way to vanish a silk in the 20th Century Silk routine.
[quote]On Nov 26, 2016, Bill Hegbli wrote:
Lance Burton performs a purely sleight of hand version using only a real egg and a silk only, no fakes. You can find the television appearance posted on YouTube. It was some kind of day show, but have been a local small talk show.

Experienced magicians can see and figure out what he is doing. [/quote]

Here is one performance of Lance Burton and the routine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAzDrC_OHjU
Karrell Fox wrote up the no gimmicked egg silk to egg in one of his books.
[quote]On Jun 19, 2021, hugmagic wrote:
Karrell Fox wrote up the no gimmicked egg silk to egg in one of his books. [/quote]

Good point, I think it is in For My Next Trick.
There is also the Zimmer Egg Gimmick. Not so widely known, but an option, for a no switch egg.
Back in the 80s there was a fun version from Supreme magic. It was a silk transposition where after you offer to show how it is done, you put the silk back into the egg. But instead of it turning into a real egg the silk changes into a different color one in the egg. The original colored silk is produced from a pocket. It is fun additional segway if you have another routine using two silks.
The Tarbell Course has something like 5 different handlings for Silk To Egg classic effect.

I had a friend that learned all versions in the course, and he performed all versions for me when I visited. Really different handlings for each one.

I like the original version by Sterling. Always gets good reactions.
I'm learning a version taught by Dan Harlan on a Tarbell silk to eggs video (#19), I really like the thinking behind it. At one point he shows the "fake" egg with the silk showing in the hole, then lights the silk on fire (it's flashpaper). There's more to it but I don't want to give away the routine, but it has a cool extra convincer.