(Close Window)
Topic: Basic Questions About What to Charge
I know this is very basic - so please no negative comments - but I have questions about what to charge. I paid for college doing magic 25 years ago. I've recently got back into it, but am not performing yet as I want to perfect a good stage and close up show. I was wondering if people know of any good resources or advice on what to charge? I am trying to figure out what a good 30-40 minute stage show goes for these days. I know there are many variables, but am looking for some direction. Thanks much!
What type of events - kids, corporate?
It would be impossible to answer that question. I know guys who charge $200 and guys who charge $10,000 or more. So you can charge as much as you want as long as people think you're worth that much.
I agree with Benji here; matter of fact he gave you the bottom to the top numbers.

I guess you could go from there, but perhaps if you tell us more about your show,
where/who you plan to market to; maybe, maybe we can give you something to start with????
It also depends on the area in which you live. For example, I live in rural Northern Michigan, with a ton of lower income and unemployment. I simply can't charge what someone performing in a major metro area can.

Plus, a birthday show in a living room will be charged differently than a corporate show or stage show.

I am starting to get back into birthday parties and school shows. I am planning on charging around $200 for a birthday party, and about $500 for a school program (10 minute motivational talk, 30 minute magic show and the rest of the time for meet and greet).

Any thoughts?
Call some local magicians, and ask them. I will give my prices to anyone that calls, or emails me.
Al, that is how I set my prices for b'day parties. I call around to all the others and then set my price higher than theirs. I, and a lot of mu clients, believe that "you can't get a Rolls Royce for the price of a used VW." It works, I'm busy.
I network with lots of local magicians in order to cover double bookings, and I recently raised my basic prices because I was cheaper than they were, so even after 25 years of performing I'm still adjusting my prices.
Thanks for the responses. I know it is a variable question. I was just curious if there were any writings on the subject. Thanks.
How good you are, who is your audience, how much do other local magicians charge, and where do you live are just a few of the variables that you have to plug in your self. This is not the kind of thing that you learn from books.

Is there a magic club near you where you can get an idea of what the local magic scene is like?
Jim Snack has written a Success-In-Magic Course, which has lots of praise.

Occassionally, he shares gems in posts, from his course.

Here is [url=http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/search_post.php?topic=139867&forum=44&post=4346868]one great post[/url] where he talks about 5 fee levels. He also shares this in his lectures.

- Donald