(Close Window)
Topic: I was mugged
Excuse me for being gone so long, but I am still in New York performing my eight week mentalism tour. I finished my 7th out of the 12 locations three days ago. As I was leaving the theater from performing for a corporate event early afternoon, two guys mugged me in the alley. They took my briefcase dealing with all my effects and my wallet. I had my $4,500 check in my wallet from the event I just did. (The reason it was only $4,500 is because it was the best I could do to fit the customer's budget.) It is a good thing I had all of my cash from the previous events in the bank.

I quickly reported it to the police. Next I went to a few office supply stores to get ready for my next event on the same day.

In the evening after I finished my 2nd event that day, two police officers approached me in the lobby of the theater. They showed me a couple of photos, asking me were they the same two men who mugged me earlier that day. It was the same two men I responded. The officers gave me back my previous check, the wallet is still missing. They gave me back my briefcase case too. My material was only scuffled around with minor damage, nothing missing.

I have no events today. That is why I am going down to press charges at the police department in a few hours. They still have the two men in custody.

I am still wondering if I should go to court to get the men behind bars. I am nervous it might interfere with my future events. Do you think I should press charges on the two men?
Put it like this. Say you don't press charges. So they walk. Three days time they mug someone else. Maybe your mum. Maybe someone's young son. They this time they give them a proper kicking. civic duty and all that.
[quote]
On 2011-04-01 08:55, Withnail wrote:
Put it like this. Say you don't press charges. So they walk. Three days time they mug someone else. Maybe your mum. Maybe someone's young son. They this time they give them a proper kicking. civic duty and all that.
[/quote]

Remember Peter's Uncle Ben...
;-)
I wonder if this isn't an April Fool's thread. Yes? It sounds like something you would do, Dynamike :)

Regards, Steve
[quote]
On 2011-04-01 08:55, Withnail wrote:
[/quote]
Yes, that does make good sense. Does anyone else have any more suggestions?
Just make them disappear
That would be David Copperfield's job.

Oh yea. Another thing I am afraid of is if I do press charges, they might find out where I live at.
As a former crime reporter I can assure you it doesn't matter where you live - they don't think like that. Getting caught is an occupational hazard, and they will take their time and do it, with no come-back at you. As others have said, if you report this they will be dealt with. If you don't they will do it again.
My only reservation is that several of the States have the draconian three strikes rule. If New York is one of those states then I personally would not press charges.
Good to hear you escaped the ordeal unscratched, and got your check back. It could be a lot worse.
Press charges. Get them off the streets. Maybe they'll change their profession.
New York not one of those states Tony.
Press charges
Thanks guys.

Would anyone else be a FOOL and take it a different direction, especially on a day like today?
I would have thought as a "Mentalist" you would have seen this comming ;)
I did :)

Regards, Steve
No brainer. Press charges. As re: the 3 strike rule -- too bad NY isn't one of those states. These guys have no doubt done it before and if/when they get out will do -- or worse -- again. If this is their 3rd strike it's obvious they haven't learned yet so lock 'em up and keep 'em there.
[quote]
On 2011-04-01 08:26, Dynamike wrote:
I am still wondering if I should go to court to get the men behind bars. I am nervous it might interfere with my future events. Do you think I should press charges on the two men?
[/quote]
didn't you see spiderman!? if you let them walk away they will kill your uncle.. or something like that.. I don't know.. you live in USA.. over there you press charges and they get behind bars that's it.. do it
[quote]
On 2011-04-01 11:43, Dynamike wrote:
Thanks guys.

Would anyone else be a FOOL and take it a different direction, especially on a day like today?
[/quote]

Nice. ;)
For real? I'm calling B.S. on this one. No way the guys got caught and you got anything at all back. LOL!
[quote]
On 2011-04-01 14:30, joe yang wrote:
For real? I'm calling B.S. on this one. No way the guys got caught and you got anything at all back. LOL!
[/quote]I agree. Plus I'm from New York and we no longer have mugging. Only white collar crime on Wall Street. Anyway, I wish you luck with the rest of your New York tour!

Steve
What, this isn't real!!!???

I thought this must have happened on the way back from performing for Michelle Obama and...

Wait a second! :)

Just kidding. You had me for a second this morning, but any post by you on April 1 is suspect. Still, I remember you were disappointed last year when someone called you on it. I wondered how long it would go.
Lol
It was your paycheck amount that let you down on this prank lol ....
If this happened to me, I would have no difficulty in purchasing a weapon or if I already had a weapon to use it.

If you want to be prey vs. predotor(sp) then that is your choice.
]
Myself I [b]will[/b] the predator if someone tries to rob me.

The choice is yours.

If this is an April fools joke, I'm ok with that if not then take my advice and "PROTECT YOURSELF"
[quote]
On 2011-04-01 09:46, Dynamike wrote:
That would be David Copperfield's job.

Oh yea. Another thing I am afraid of is if I do press charges, they might find out where I live at.
[/quote]

You shoudl give them the money. It seems as though you are much better off than they are ... $4500 for a gig and that's your c price.

Let'm have it. You can make it up at another gig. They obviously can't.

Then mark the bills, as they walk with the cash call the fuzz!!!!

J
Thanks to all of those who did not spoil the April Fools joke too early. I am not in New York. I am still in Detroit. I was never mugged. I just wanted to see how you guys would respond on April Fools. :) I promise I will think of a better one for next year. Following are links to the April Fools' thread I listed for 2010 and 2009:

2009 http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=306444&forum=15

2010 http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=358929&forum=15

Thanks for the excitement everybody. I especially want to thank you guys for looking out for me incase I was mugged.
Go ahead and press charges on those two, but ask the judge to release Docc Hilford and Jon Stetson on bail so that they can finishes those string of dates they have booked.
Ahhhhh.... out at last!

What was everybody chatting about???

Hunh?
LOL
I did not know that Mike was a mentalist
[quote]
On 2011-12-02 20:17, Al Angello wrote:
I did not know that Mike was a mentalist
[/quote]

This is funny timing Al.
I thought I had remembered this, but I didn't look at the date and thought it was a reference to the "mugging" conversation in Little Darlings