(Close Window)
Topic: Flea Circus
Not sure if this is the place to post this, but does anyone have information on building a flea circus? I have seen the book at magic inc, but have not bought it yet. Any thoughts on this subject would be welcomed.

Rest
Abbott's is where you should check. There is a new pop-up book out there that has a flea circus to perform in it (the book does all the work for you) and there is a very talented mentalist in Germany named Ralf Froelich that has the best flea circus I have seen in a veeeery long time.

PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
Try here

http://www.pe.net/~magical/flea/plans.htm
Thank you both for your input, I know about both of these, although Ralf Froelich is new to me, does he have a web site? I guess I will have to surf the web and see what I come up with.

Thank you,

Rest
Hi Rest...

Doc Dazzal here...trained flea meister extrodinare! Check out my web site at: http://www.docdazzal.com for exclusive trained flea info...continued success!

Best Regards,
Doc Dazzal
Magic, Inc., Chicago. Tom Palmer's Flea Act book - I believe they still have a few copies.

Lee Darrow, C.Ht.
Here is my circus http://www.tilfordillusions.com/fleaCircus.html
Coldthorn
I think a flea circus would be so cute, I'd love to see one somewhere.

Anabelle :giving:
Tilford magic is marketing an electronic version. Sounds good, but rather expensive (6500$)
Yes, that's my child. 6 months to build - 2 years to work out any "bugs" pardon the pun! I also lost a thumbnail in the process-and nearly my thumb.
Sounds good ventman - I love this kind of stuff, even if I'm afraid it wouldn't really fit in my mental show!
Does somebody can tell me the difference beetween the flea circus sold by Stevens Magic Emporium at 2750 $ and the one sold by Tilford which look exactly the same but is much more expensive.
I am totally "itching" to have a flea circus...

Um...nevermind...
Is there anywhere online to see a Flea Circus video?....Either one from years ago or a modern one.

I saw one litte video online but the quality was horrible and I have a cable modem and new computer.
The problem with almost all the flea circuses I have ever seen is that the performers make the props do all the work. My friend Johnny Meah used to do a flea routine in circuses. He made it play well by giving the flea a personality. He looked upon it as a vent act without the dummy. He would talk to the flea, then listen for the answer and tell the audience what the flea said. This way the act played well for a thousand people. The only trick he did was have the flea jump back into the small paper bag that Johnny kept him in. Johnny used the old finger snap bit with the bag. It would surprise the audience and make them laugh. So if you are going to build a flea circus, don't just give the fleas funny names, make them truly come alive.
The first one I saw was at Huber's Museum on 42nd St (NY) in 1949... I loved it!
Slim
Slim,
I just came across a number for Roy Heckler's son. I will be giving him a call and let everyone know about this if there is anything to tell.
[quote]
On 2003-09-15 06:25, highmagic wrote:
Sounds good ventman - I love this kind of stuff, even if I'm afraid it wouldn't really fit in my mental show!
[/quote]

Have you ever thought about a flea circus mind reading act?
Todd...would be interested in the results of the Heckler call as well. Would be interested in his feeding schedule etc. on his arm. (uh).

(Can just visualize Meah doing that pantomime bit...hahaha...with that BIG deliberate great voice of his.)

Fortunate to have seen the Heckler show many times.

I use to talk with Andy Kaufman about it on the phone. It was one of his favorite spots to hang. Me too.
I have been gathering the materials to build my first flea circus and have purchased nearly every book I could find through extensive physical store and e-searches. I would LOVE to hear some words of wisdom from Mr. Heckler... and Mr. Robbins has set my mind a-cranking, too. Thanks.
Omnibozo
Omnibozo
What books have you got on the Flea Circus?
Mario
You want to buy or build a flea circus?

Alright, it costs you 2.750 $ (+50 $ shipping), and you can buy one:
http://www.stevensmagic.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=4418

Or you buy the "Building Kit" with a video and a CD for 55 $:
http://www.stevensmagic.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=4426

Have fun!

Magixx
To learn how to do a 100% real flea circus, try to get a copy of the irregularly published magazine "Shocked and Amazed" put out from the atomic books site. You want Volume 2. It might be tought to find, but it is real, not a trick.
The "real" flea circus is also discussed in Ricky Jay's "Jay's Journal of Anomalies" (the collection in one volume).

Yours,

Paul
The article in Shocked & Amazed is a reprint of the chapter on Roy Heckler from Bill Ballantine's book Wild Tiger's and Trained Fleas. The reprint might be in The Best of Shocked & Amazed that is currently in print.
Hi:

I've been performing my flea circus for nearly six months now...and what Todd Robbins says is true. You have to BELIEVE in the fleas. While you can certainly build your own flea circus (which, if you're handy isn't so bad) or you can even purchase one. But the key to it all is the patter and script you come up with. That's what will ultimately "sell" your circus. Make the little buggers (pun completely intended) come alive.

I'm dancing a precarious line right now, because, strangely enough, I'm running into people who don't want to book me because they don't want fleas in their home.

Talk about being a victim of your own hype!!!

--Jon
Hi All, I build very unique flea circuses with amazing effects, I do not have the time to devote to building these as I would like to - just do it in my spare time.

I have sold them worldwide. You can click onto http://www.freewebs.com/caputocollection/

Once on the homepage, click onto the 'Flea Circus Link'

Chuck
You can build your own here is plans
http://www.hanklee.org/xcart/product.php?productid=7057
Tony Andruzzi as Tom Palmer also published a booklet on the Flea Circus, if you can find it.
Here is an account of the Alberti Flea Circus, with a dozen photos:

http://www.sideshowworld.com/FCAlbertiFC.html

This was a great show! Jim Alberti spent about two hours talking to me between shows. Not content with reading the Tom Palmer book (which is very good), he looked up Tony Andruzzi himself years ago and got the story on the act first hand. The props for his show are based on the Tom Palmer approach.

Todd is absolutely right about the flea circus. Even with the most sophisticated of props, nothing much happens in a flea circus. The demands on the performer are huge. If you can't pull this act off with a paper bag, an embroidery hoop, and a pair of tweezers, an automaton costing thousands of dollars isn't going to work either.

Yours,

Paul
The June 2006 issue of Genii magazine has a very nice article on the Hakan Varol Flea Circus, made in Germany. Hakan Varol was at the dealer's room in FISM demonstrating this very nice mechanical Flea Circus. He also has a web site, I will post the link if I can find it.
Here is the link to Hakan Varol's web site: http://www.hakan-varol.de/
I built my own flea circus, from Walt Noon plan. Very nice...
Ssucahyo's Flea Circus is FIRST CLASS all the way...beautiful job my friend...professional to the hilt.
(you had sent me photos awhile ago)
Ssucahyo built it from scratch?
Hi, the instruction is in the video taped, and I have to imported from US (mr. Noon suplied me)for some part, like the carousel, water pump.
I think the taped is crystal clear and easy to follow.
Doug, your Dark Museum also first class...till today I always proud to show that to friends and use in in my bizarre act!!!
Yeah...but your's is more 1st class than mine is 1st class.
Doug....even my fleas very scared to view your shrunken head...few days they can not work!! they really shock!! now I never put my Dark Museum near my fleas...
One of my circuses are currently for sale on Ebay, it is up on Sept. 29th, you can see it by searching my name on Ebay's homepage.

Chuck Caputo
Hey Chuck! You need to stop by the Café more often! How's stuff?