(Close Window)
Topic: Tenyo's Most Ingenius Effects
Say what you will folks, but I believe TUNNEL OF DARKNESS to be the most diabolical Tenyo effect ever created. The fact that you can shed light into the tunnel's darkness is unreal. Then look at the dice, nuts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UdbTRUsjm4

Granted Magic Patagonia makes the effect look spectacular, but for magic like this to be mass produced, it's amazing if you stop and think about it.

EXCALIBUR, difficult to make work or not (oil), insane looking when done well. I'm pretty impressed by BARE BONES as well.

It's obvious these effects made Tenyo, TENYO, but it's crazy to me that these effects kill many effects costing thousands of dollars. So much for not doing plastic magic.

Tenyo fan for life.
-Sorry but for tunnel of darness you can't shed light into the tunnel's darkness lol It's faking video angles **** ....

-Excalibur works great but only on video ... because it make a lot of NOISE in the real life.

-Bare bones is just perfect one, nice trick in all situations.
Ahhhhh good to know about ToD and Excalibur!

What do you think qualifies as Tenyo's most ingenius tricks?
My votes for:

As apparatus: Mystery China Box, Bird Watcher.
As magic: Fortune Donut (I could have lived for 1000 years and never been able to figure it out!!!).
I agree on Mystery China Box, I also like Tricky Business...
From an apparatus pov, gotta go with: ditto, Mystery China Box, Blue Crystal (All Lubor Fiedler's stuff actually) & Future Clock.
What does you apparatus pov say to Mobile Illusion? It find it very visual....
Hey Nicolino,True nuff about Mobile Illusion. I think the part that really goes over well is the imstant restore just a second after the signature is complete.
I agree with everything said and would like to add Twister, Ultra Tube, Mirage and Billscape - four tricks I couldn't figure out after seeing Cormatches perform them :) The 'technique' used in Mirage still is kind of a mistery/puzzle to me, I'd love to open it and see how it works but then again it's worth a bit too much nowdays I'm afraid ;)
Thanx for the info about Mirage. Always thought it looked a little too bulky for my liking. To be included in with the other high-caliber illusions means I need to re-assess. Also wanted to thank you for leaving comments about Diminishing Cards review. I was a little slow in making the identity connection. Your Ultra Tube plays big in Canada. Did the Canadian coins ever aid in (forget which Tenyo) resolving the glitch problem?
Hah Glenn! Took me a moment before I realized :) Glad you like Ultra Tube
Excalibur is one I am still trying to track down... have many Canadian quarters to try it with <g>.
For me the best genuine tricks are for example:

1-Tricky business and Midas machine and mobile illusion : Succeed to make an very very strong impact with a very simple material ( tricky business) or with two pieces of plastic ( midas )is so impressive ! this shows the expertise of Tenyo.
2 - Mystery triangle is very good example of improving old easy to figure out trick to something that returns the brain.
3 - Prison box, impossible to understand before buy the trick.
4 - Magician match box, confined cube, trisector, twister, crystal pyramid, side track are ver good micro mechanisms and ingenius tricks.
5-Transpa vision is very simple but effective and Match stick is very very very clever too.
6- And for sure Mirage (i don't know how it work, gimmick extremely impressive), Diabolicus etc
7- Floating lady and Animation frame, or how to deceive the public with clever idea.
Yes, Prison Box...I almost forgot about it! Another winner by AC!
However, I still don't think it's examinable - my friend figured out something odd the second I handed her the item....
I would agree with many of the above tricks such as Billscape, Midas Machine and Sidetrack. I would add Invisible Zone which is also a great illusion.
Also some of their card tricks such as Sandwich Platter and Magic Painting.
I would add some of the optical effect too like 4D Surprise. They're just so cool.
[quote]
On 2011-04-04 19:31, DLF wrote:
I would add some of the optical effect too like 4D Surprise. They're just so cool.
[/quote]

4D Surprise is insane.
[quote]
On 2011-04-04 13:53, Killertweety wrote:
I agree with everything said and would like to add Twister, Ultra Tube, Mirage and Billscape - four tricks I couldn't figure out after seeing Cormatches perform them :) The 'technique' used in Mirage still is kind of a mistery/puzzle to me, I'd love to open it and see how it works but then again it's worth a bit too much nowdays I'm afraid ;)
[/quote]
yes...of course...Mirage!!!...great apparatus!!!...I had forgot this one...
As you mentioned is one of the few effects (maybe the only one???) that is a black box...after reading the instructions you know how it works...but you don't know exactly how works the internal mechanism...agree that is a mystery...somebody has acces to an X ray machine??? :D
Maybe its just me...but confined cubes is wonderful in my opinion.

I have another reason for liking this trick

I had a problem when one of the cubes became discoloured, making the trick impossible to perform. 1 email to tenyo, and 3 days later a new cube arrives in the post. Suddenly after 1 year of not being able to perform this trick, I could use it again. Like discovering it from new again.

Tenyo have excellent customer service.
I always wonder if Tenyo is aware of the blog I created. I'm always afraid they hate my rating system not always nice, so I've never sent a mail to prevent them ^^
Maybe you should sent them a link Stereo I'm guessing they would be interested... I may provide them some sort of inspiration for future effects judging from what you rate and why so they can match the criteria and possibly challenge their abilities to create something special...
[quote]
On 2011-04-12 09:24, anthony-in-japan wrote:
Maybe its just me...but confined cubes is wonderful in my opinion.

I have another reason for liking this trick

I had a problem when one of the cubes became discoloured, making the trick impossible to perform. 1 email to tenyo, and 3 days later a new cube arrives in the post. Suddenly after 1 year of not being able to perform this trick, I could use it again. Like discovering it from new again.

Tenyo have excellent customer service.
[/quote]

Great! I also love Confined Cubes however because I'm not a real magician I have trouble in one phase of the routine, you know what I mean I'm sure ;)

I doubt the customer service is the same if you don't live in Japan. I think you live in Japan, yes?
No question: Diabolicus.

For kids shows I really use What's Next a lot...as a quickie.
Eye of the Idol. Colorful, theme oriented and mysterious.
Killertweety

Indeed, but all the customer support was in English.

If you have trouble with "that" part of the trick, why not try the "advanced" version. It is a little harder additionally, but it eliminates that problem you allude to.
[quote]
On 2011-04-12 21:48, towledge wrote:
Eye of the Idol. Colorful, theme oriented and mysterious.
[/quote]

I have to agree, this is one of the coolest tricks I have seen. Very deceptive and puzzling. Furthermore, the theme and mystery truly do add to the ambiance.
Good idea Anthony, I will give it a try.

Eye Of The Idol (Tenyo I think misspelled it on their site - 'Idle') is a very nice trick indeed. You only have to watch the statue doesn't move 'by accident' ... .
Prison Box and Crystal Cleaver for me.
How could I/we forget Crystal Cleaver! Perhaps it is because it is so widely available (also copies) that we forgot that it was Tenyo that invented this fantastic mechanism in a miniature version :)
Prison Box is a gem too, though I wish 'some parts' of the trick were more 'stiff' and less 'flexible' so people wouldn't figure the secret out sometimes. You guys know what I mean I hope? ;)
What about xray files
Well Stuart I have this trick and actually almost never perform it ... . The secret is quite ingenious but there are better tricks on the market that have the same outcome (knowing what someone's card is) and are better. It is just so 'strange' to put your chosen card into this cardboard weird looking 'thing' ... .
True but if you can build it into a routine it can work wonders and never be suspected... I also have a personal favourite in Fortune Sticks,
I tried editing my post which was not possible anymore grrrrrrr ;)
I wanted to add it is very nice to have the card placed in the envelope facing AWAY from you ... this enhances the effect a lot :) Then again, the tricks does require 'enough light' if you know what I mean.

So indeed, I could be wrong; I can not give it an objective review afterall because I almost never performed it!

Anny suggestions about a routine Stuart?

Fortune Sticks is great but hard to do with difficult lightning conditions. I also have the 'pro'-version but it has the same problem.
Tenyo Elite looks to be an adventure definitely dead. :(
I hope one day they will explain how was their partnership with Tenyo, why they chose these trick ( moonspinner et fortune sticks) rather than probably other most vendor. :(
Fortune sticks is one that I do pretty often. You can repeat it again and again and spectators never guess it. The only problem I have with it is that the symbols start rubbing out after using it a couple of times. I would love to get the Elite version one of these days.

I never liked X-Ray File. To me the back of the file is way too suspicious looking and is just begging to be examined.
Its down to personal preference as with everthing in life... Im sure we'll all like effects others wont...
Hi Stereo:

I think this has been pretty well covered both in their posts, their website and in magazine coverage. Not sure if there is much more they can say. They have indicated that sales on the intial units were below expectation. No doubt a number of contributing factors including price, economy and selection of effects. They took a big risk on this project and hopefully at some point they will be able to continue. I have met two of the partners and they are great guys that love Tenyo as well.

There has been considerable chatter on what the effects should have been. Ultimately in consultation with Tenyo they choose two easier to produce effects to test the waters. I know we would love to see Diabolicus (which Tenyo has said even they cannot source the special t*&e), Crystal Cleaver, etc. The reality is that in the short term I expect there is little appetite to take on the large upfront tooling costs for these more intricate effects.

Perhaps if we all agreed on one effect and were willing to commit upfront, it could help sway them, howver I think the chances of that are relatively slim.

John

John
Thank you so much for the informations JM. As I am French and not very knowledgeable in the world of magic, I did not have access to this information. Thank you to explain me.
Indeed the debate on the choice of magic is endless. There were several effects that require only little means or material who surely would have had more success ( like sandwich platter, ultra tube, Match sticks Squeeze play or mobile illusion). It's a sad that such a lovely idea did not get the expected support of a fan of magic. :( Besides, I had proposed their showcase their tricks on my blog but they have not taken the time to take a photo in the style of the blog or even send me a copy of each one tricks. May be that it was already too late in their head. I realize that my blog still unconsciously affect the market and at their place I would not hesitate a second to try to be highlighted above.
In any case I tell them congratulations for their courage.
I am suprised Stereo that tney have not sent you what you needed to include their items on your site.

John
Yes they send me nothing, just ugly basic promo photo, Finally I managed all alone in searching the internet to find pictures more presentable and to find a review on the magic café forum. Anyway I have not made ​​the effort to showcase their products and make a special post in first page saw the little interest they have shown in my proposal to help us. Too bad for them.
Hi guys just been playing with a few more tricks I've found today while sorting out the magic cupboard and I had forgotten how good a trick QuickSilver is, totally baffling when done properly..