(Close Window)
Topic: Gypsy Balloon by Tony Clark ... a wonderful piece of magic!
It starts with a helium-filled balloon attached to a string.
Little by little, you tear the string into small pieces.
Bunch the little pieces into a ball and attach the ball to the string of the balloon.
A magical pass, and the balloon begins to rise in the air. As it does, the string gets longer and longer, until it is fully restored.

Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=romjJo2ZBFs
Very nice take on that routine!
Smart.
That looks really beautiful
I'd like to see it without the edits personally but it is a nice idea.
Nice. I love the new presentation. I haven't touched gypsy thread yet. Easy to handle? Thread quality? Thanks!
Beautiful!
Anyone know the music used? (very pretty) Sent Tony an e-mail and he said he doens't know the name of the song...but he did remember it was from a movie soundtrack? Anyone?

Cody
It's called Heart of a King from Man in the Iron Mask.
[quote]
On 2011-04-07 05:34, Andrew Zuber wrote:
It's called Heart of a King from Man in the Iron Mask.
[/quote]

That's why I love this forum - so many helpful people here :)

Stefan
I forgot to mention, I charge 8 bucks for looking up song titles. I'll shoot you a Paypal invoice, Cody.
I mis-read this has Gypsy in Balloon and got excited
Name of song is shown on the bottom right of the YouTube clip :)
This is a great idea on a classic. The only draw back is having to stop off at the party store and get a helium balloon for each show.
Piece of art... I will put it on my cart....
[quote]
On 2011-06-06 09:12, wmhegbli wrote:
This is a great idea on a classic. The only draw back is having to stop off at the party store and get a helium balloon for each show.
[/quote]

My thinking on this is to go to Target and pick up one of those little portable helium tanks for $19. Never have to take it out of my trunk. Just go to my car and fill a balloon before every show. Don't know how much it cost to get a balloon inflated at a party store, or how easy they are to find one all the time, but for $19 for a small tank in the back of my car, that seems more convenient.
A buddy of mine showed me this & it is beautiful in person.

Mike
Anyone know about temperatures and helium tanks?

Can you fill up balloons from your car in the middle of summer or winter? (in Chicago)
Great Effect.

I see a lot of potential for my Stage & Motivational Speaking shows.

Only would like to know if the set up is easy in order to be able to perform it at mid show.

Cheers!
I bought this and cant speak any higher of this wonderful alteration of the gypsy thread. Well worth the price and packs flat plays huge. If I had three thumbs this effect would get it *******
I can't get my helium tank to pack flat...but the routine is fantastic!

Cody
LOL, ok minus the helium tank. At least you can keep that in your car/van. Nice Cody
Ace Hardware has a tank called "The Helium Balloon Kit". http://www.acetogo.com/product/helium-balloon-kit-50ct.html I saw this a few days ago then got the ad for the Gypsy Balloon from Denny and Lee's. I thought this would work great together. According to the instructions, the balloons are easy to inflate. Definitely will get both next week.
I am concerned of all the people who think that it is a good idea to have the helium tank left in the trunk of a car or in a closed truck or van. This I worry, is not a good idea.

Safety warning:

All helium tank cylinders need to be secured. Helium is a non-toxic, non-flammable gas, however it is dangerous to breathe in the gas from the cylinder, or even from an inflated balloon. We recommend that you transport the helium tank cylinder in the trunk of your car. If you must transport it in the passenger compartment, make sure it is secured and you have at least one window open at all times. Do not store tanks filled with helium near an open flame or in direct sunlight. Do not store in an area where the temperature may exceed 120 degrees.
Close helium tank valve tightly after each use.

We all know if it is 100 degrees outside, a closed vehicle will well exceed 120 degrees.

Be safe my friends!
A simple solution might be to travel with the tank in your trunk and then move the tank inside it is hot out that day.

As for the product itself. This idea is brilliant and very well done Tony!
Message: Posted by: GrassosMagicTheatre (Jun 14, 2011 02:44PM)
I just bought the DVD. Great effect! However, the string that came with it is still pretty hard to break (cut my finger). Anyone else have a better resource for the thread?
Can the balloon be handed out immediately or is there "Clean up"?
Seems like this should have been a magazine article and not a dvd for sale.
Stucky,

You can hand out the balloon immediately. No clean up.

John
Dustman drives a pinto. So I see no problem keeping it in his trunk.
Never the less it's a clever and beautiful application.
I think it's a real gas..
String is included, but no balloons...
After buying this- I purchased my helium tank at the local Party Supply store and was doing this right away. This is a very easy routine to accomplish. Though it is easy- it is a fantastic piece of magic. The DVD instructions are very nice- short and sweet- to the point. What I really like about this besides being so easy to do is that you can present it different ways- i.e. serious or comedy etc. I found more string at the local Joann Fabrics. You should be able to find extra string easily. Can't wait to perform this at next gig Friday!

RNK
I love this effect but I'm having a hard time breaking the thread that is supplied with the dvd. and when I do break it, my hands end up with a slight rope burn. This effect is very smooth in terms of rhythm, and I don't want to break that look by fumbling or having a hard time trying to break threads.

I will check out the thread suggested by gospel dan, but in the mean time, Does anyone have any other brands of thread they can suggest?
Goto a fabric store and ask for super fine yarn. I think the measurement are 2.75 mm thick- works great.

RNK
I received it!
A wonderful piece of magic ... and much easier then I thought!
I used it for the first time in a performance today and it was terrific. The fact that the rope is a bit difficult to break worked to my advantage. My grimace and body language emphasized that the rope was real and not gimmicked. People came up afterwards to inspect the balloon and string after the performance when they thought I wasn't looking and their expressions were priceless.

Thanks Tony!
I ordered it from the above link and received mine today. This thread is perfect!
When I have bought tnr flash thread by henry evans I could not believe how much I could like any other version of the gypsy thread effect. This is terrific and I am sure it has amazing expressions.
I believe this basting thread is TOO thin to look like strings attached to balloons. Also from a distance (stage) it may not be as thick as you might like it to be. Tony's string, agreed is not manufactured just for this trick, has the perfect look and thickness for what balloons at fairs, circuses etc. look like. Furthermore, 800 yards @ $29.95 is enough for 240 performances OR 12 cents each show. Hardly breaking the bank. I would be far more interested in finding cheaper helium. A $50 tank is good for 50 balloons or $1 per performance.

John
Tony's thread is WAY too tough to snap.... OUCH!!
Try leaving a little slack before breaking as well as using the edge of the hand instead of the little fingers. It certainly is a knack, but, once you find the "sweet" spot it's easier.

John
Saw Tony Perform this routine in the castle this afternoon. It was nice! I liked how the balloon got taller at the end of the trick! Now that was magic! I have no clue!
Performed this Friday for the first time- closed with it and just have to say- what a delight it was to hear all the gasps from the audience as the balloon rose and the rope restored and the voices saying. "How did he do that? That is amazing!" Thanks Tony for releasing this- a surefire winner!

RNK
Is there any good levitation's that would work well with this balloon trick?

I was thinking, as you hold the helium balloon you start to rise up off the ground/stage, then pull yourself back down. It might be very surprising and it could be very funny as well.
Dan,

The Gypsy Balloon does not use thread, it uses string. Think along the lines of what the baker use to wrap your pastry box with. This is the kind of string you might see balloons at a fair or circus tied with. The basting thread I think would be perfect for the regular Gypsy thread routine. Tony's balloon version really needs a more "volumous" string. It's true that you don't HAVE to buy Tony's, but by the time you run around to find, try, evalute and get the "right" kind of string, it might be less costly to buy the spool directly from Tony or your local magic store.

Good luck,

John
"I was thinking, as you hold the helium balloon you start to rise up off the ground/stage, then pull yourself back down. It might be very surprising and it could be very funny as well."

Great idea, It's actually Rudy Coby's idea and he gave permission to Paul Daniels who used it on his TV show

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iY-pbXnGpZg

The first who did the Gypsy thread on a balloon is Markus Zink from Germany...
[quote]
On 2011-06-06 18:10, Michael Dustman wrote:
[quote]
[/quote]

My thinking on this is to go to Target and pick up one of those little portable helium tanks for $19. Never have to take it out of my trunk. Just go to my car and fill a balloon before every show. Don't know how much it cost to get a balloon inflated at a party store, or how easy they are to find one all the time, but for $19 for a small tank in the back of my car, that seems more convenient.
[/quote]

I was wondering about that. I figured the Helium tanks were prohibitively expensive. But 19 bucks is not bad. And the thing is portable and can be kept in your trunk? How man balloons can you fill from one of those things? Hundreds?
I have performed the normal gypsy thread by getting a young person on stage asking them to cup their hands to catch the pieces as I use scissors to cut the string. For the restore I have them hold one end as I pull the other. This has played very well for me. I just wonder of those who are having issues with breaking the string could do the same and in the end give the balloon to your helper to take off stage.
Just a thought, I have yet to buy this.

-Floyd
[quote]
I was wondering about that. I figured the Helium tanks were prohibitively expensive. But 19 bucks is not bad. And the thing is portable and can be kept in your trunk? How man balloons can you fill from one of those things? Hundreds?
[/quote]

I bought one today and it travelled in the trunk of my car for 5 hours. The cautions say not to expose to direct heat. The box says 30 balloons, depending on the size of course.

John
This got rave reviews from Craig and David at the Wizard product review, but I cant see how it differs from the standard gypsey thread apart from adding a balloon !! can any one comment?
[quote]
On 2011-07-01 10:15, daffydoug wrote:
[quote]
On 2011-06-06 18:10, Michael Dustman wrote:
[quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Hello Daffy! I bought my tank for $38.00 and it is good for approximately (30)thirty 12inch size ballons.

Best,
RNK
Does a helium tank store well?

Thanks!
Dan.
[quote]
On 2011-07-13 22:57, Amazing Magic Co wrote:
Does a helium tank store well?

Thanks!
Dan.
[/quote]

In a trunk- at home- or just over time?

RNK
Any of the above.

Dan.
[quote]
On 2011-07-13 12:08, NFW wrote:
This got rave reviews from Craig and David at the Wizard product review, but I cant see how it differs from the standard gypsy thread apart from adding a balloon !! can any one comment?
[/quote]

No we can't as that would involve discussing the secret and that is against the rules of the Café. You pretty much hit the nail on the head, it is a different way of presenting the Gypsy Thread.

--------------------------------------------

Remember the more you get away from using thread, the more you will need another way of working the trick. That being said, I found some twisted twine string with about 8 or 10 strands to the string. I removed 1 strand, and it broke very easily. It could be used, but then I would have to invent a new handling.
[quote]
On 2011-07-14 13:31, Amazing Magic Co wrote:
Any of the above.

Dan.
[/quote]

Dan- you don't want to let the tank sit in excessive heat. Other than that- no worries. The helium in the tank will not go bad-ever. It's a sealed tank that's pressurized- nothing to go wrong unless you do not close the valve all the way after using it.
Excellent ... Thank you. I was trying to decide if I should get a small tank or just buy an inflated balloon as needed. Your explanation makes sense that a tank should be stable.

Thanks again!
Dan.
The "Dollar Store" sells all types of Mylar pre-filled helium balloons for, that's right, a dollar. That way you can pick a special occasion balloon or whatever for you show. It would probably look better than a standard balloon and reflect light better as well.
[quote]
On 2011-07-18 11:25, davidpaul$ wrote:
The "Dollar Store" sells all types of Mylar pre-filled helium balloons for, that's right, a dollar. That way you can pick a special occasion balloon or whatever for you show. It would probably look better than a standard balloon and reflect light better as well.
[/quote]

Great Point David! Thanks for pointing that out- A nice way to "customize" a little more!

RNK
Has anyone in the UK got this and if so have you found a source for the thread? I have been to a couple of habidashery shops with no luck. I will probably end up ordering from Tony himself. I don't know if any dealers in the UK will stock the thread in the future there must be a call for it now.
OK friends...I just split the Clark thread into half - very slowly - works like a charm and now I can perform twice as much this wonderful trick ; )
Best,
T
I have purchased both the DVD and extra string site unseen. This is a complete bait and switch. The string uses to demonstrate on the video is not the string provides or sold as refill. When I asked the dealer if it was he himself was under the impresion that it was. The string provided is closer to dental floss. It does not look as good on stage to thin to be seen from the back of theater. You will see the balloon so you will understand the routine but will not see the string very well.If you are doing a birthday party show it's fine but there is a learning curve because the volume of string is not as on the video so it makes the prep a little more challenging to do the dirty work. I love this idea but would like the actual string to be made available, nothing is impossible to find.

Ben
Again- 2.77mm super soft yarn- looks big like string and breaks beautifully like butter!

RNK
Wow, this thread has been seriously censored!!!! Here's to another thread destroyed by corruption and cover-ups. So much for magicians helping magicians when this site covers-up for those who are sponsors here.
[quote]
On 2011-06-20 20:07, Rickybobby wrote:
I love this effect but I'm having a hard time breaking the thread that is supplied with the dvd. and when I do break it, my hands end up with a slight rope burn. This effect is very smooth in terms of rhythm, and I don't want to break that look by fumbling or having a hard time trying to break threads.

I will check out the thread suggested by gospel dan, but in the mean time, Does anyone have any other brands of thread they can suggest?
[/quote]

For some reason, I have had my posts deleted, and others as well for sharing good advice and information. I don't care to know why they were deleted. I think it's safe to know why they were deleted. All I did was provide information where to get basting thread. You can find basting thread by searching google. I recommend staying away from buying $30 spool of thread from Tony Clark because it's way over-priced, and as we have heard from many so far, his thread is hard to break. Many were not pleased with it.
I think this is a great update to the Gypsy Thread......... so now it's in the shopping cart
I have been playing with Tony's string and also found it very difficult to break, so I untwist it before breaking, and it seems to break a bit easier. The "kite string" I got with the DVD, however, is obviously not the same stuff he uses.

I will probably experiment with the super soft yarn, however...
[quote]
On 2011-08-04 10:54, ClintonMagus wrote:
I have been playing with Tony's string and also found it very difficult to break, ........ The "kite string" I got with the DVD, however, is obviously not the same stuff he uses.
[/quote]

For you it is "very difficult to break".
For me it is "impossible to break".

I advize everyone to FIRST search for string that breaks easy and THEN order the trick.
With the string that is delivered with the trick, it is impossible to do the trick as smoothly as the creator does.
I find that......
[quote]
On 2011-07-26 09:01, RNK wrote:
Again- 2.77mm super soft yarn- looks big like string and breaks beautifully like butter!

RNK
[/quote]

To add further to the description provided by RNK...get 'pure wool' yarn. I believe it usually comes in an 'off white' color. Very visible...parlour or stage....and like RNK said it breaks easily. I believe ...Bev Bergeron {?}...mentioned this on a VHS video tape. Remember those? :)
I used this weekend,and had great reactions.I was working a fair, so you might have to be alittle more careful if outside.I got great reactions from the crowd, when I closed my shows with this.And I don't have any problems breaking the string,in fact I hand the pieces to the girl that I have on stage and I have her role them into a ball.Great effect!

Michael
[quote]
On 2011-08-04 19:23, RicHeka wrote:
[quote]
On 2011-07-26 09:01, RNK wrote:

RNK
[/quote]

To add further to the description provided by RNK...get 'pure wool' yarn. I believe it usually comes in an 'off white' color. Very visible...parlour or stage....and like RNK said it breaks easily. I believe ...Bev Bergeron {?}...mentioned this on a VHS video tape. Remember those? :)
[/quote]

Yes I agree I got wool yarn and it works a treat.
I have found that by brining the string under the pinky and back up over the middle finger and using the middle finger as the point to break is so much easier and it makes beautiful snapping sound......

Give it a try....

Dorian
I have a few new questions for you guys working this routine.

1: Can you use the same balloon over and over again, re-gimmick it for multiple performances (so that you don't waste helium).

2: If you can re-gimmick a balloon multiple times, how long does the balloon last? 1 week, 3 weeks etc. I know it will be law of averages, but your best guess would be appreciated.

Steve
The balloon will only last about 6 -8 hours. It's a great giveaway, and I found helium tanks at walmart for $20.
Steve, I think the balloon really should be given away.

Especially as there is nothing to find ;)
Nice trick but a little pricy for essentially a 5 minute DVD I thought. $19.95 would have been spot on.

- agree that the inlcluded string is totally unworkable. Maybe Tony has got Hulk-strength fingers or something, I couldn't even break it.
Performed this for the first time New Year's Day. I agree with RNK. The response was great! Just the kind of mouth-dropping facial expressions (literally) magicians LOVE to see! As a pastor, I used this to illustrate a biblical truth for children (and adults). I do this regularly; however, this particular effect is SO VISUAL it is leaps and bounds beyond the original gypsy thread. The helium-filled balloon truly "raises" the quaint little gypsy thread routine to a stage-sized effect visible to a large audience.

As far as those having trouble breaking the thread, having read aceofhearts' suggestion, I walked into the congregation (church setting), and made my way from the front toward the back and had five different people (on the aisles) make the cuts with scissors. This involved a number of the members of "audience" and removed any question about whether the string was actually cut in multiple pieces. For me, this is actually stronger than breaking the thread myself.

Again, the effect played great, and I enjoyed performing it, too! It was definitely a Win/Win effect for me! It's so visual it truly is magical!
Making the cuts with scissors- what a great idea. I do agree that this would be much stronger than breaking the thread yourself. Thanks for sharing!

RNK
To make helium balloons last much longer you could put stuff called Super High Float in it. You get that online from various balloon suppliers. I should last 3 or more days that way - maybe long enough for a weekend of gigs I'm guessing.
I recently got this and would recommend it to anyone. Its brilliant, classy, and magical.
Thanks for the recommendation for super high float. I'll be looking into that.
I must agree that the effect is very good and very magical. Very happy owner of this. :)
I have just started practicing with this however I am having trouble keeping you know what inside the n••k of the balloon, I have turned it I••••e o•t as per the instruction but it keeps turning itself back again I have tried to make sure the neck is long enough. Has anyone else had this trouble and if so has a solution to it.
Thanks
Rowland
Never had that trouble. Try making your b#$l a little bigger.

RNK
I recently was privileged to see a performance of this effect by my good friend David..."Darkwing". My first thought as a magic enthusiest was, what a novel approach on the presentation of this effect. It seems almost an obvious next step in the evolution of the effect...wish I had thought of it! My hat's off to the magician who thought of taking it in a different direction. Maybe "Darkwing" will chime in on this, and, offer up his experience(s).

Thanks to all...Michael
Rowland, I had the same trouble. I think it's the thread being too thin. I'm going to switch to a thick easy to break yarn - the thickness will help I bet. The thread it comes with is no good- you can't break it with your fingers anyway. I tried the glow gypsy thread sold by Penguin, it breaks easy but it's too thin.
Hi Dan thanks for your feedback I had a feeling that could be the problem, it is such a shame that there seems to be such a problem getting the right thread for it as it is a great trick..I am in the UK and I have tried loads of places to get the thread with no luck. I have found some that is easy to break but as you say it is thin. Anyone in the UK found any thread ? Would love to hear from you.
I was at a yarn shop today and found a good yarn that should work. It breaks easy and is thick and colorful. Just go to a yarn shop and have them help you find something good. they let me break a piece in the store to see if it's the right thing. It's a single ply wool.
[quote]
On 2012-01-03 03:50, mralincoln wrote:
Performed this for the first time New Year's Day. I agree with RNK. The response was great! Just the kind of mouth-dropping facial expressions (literally) magicians LOVE to see! As a pastor, I used this to illustrate a biblical truth for children (and adults). I do this regularly; however, this particular effect is SO VISUAL it is leaps and bounds beyond the original gypsy thread. The helium-filled balloon truly "raises" the quaint little gypsy thread routine to a stage-sized effect visible to a large audience.

As far as those having trouble breaking the thread, having read aceofhearts' suggestion, I walked into the congregation (church setting), and made my way from the front toward the back and had five different people (on the aisles) make the cuts with scissors. This involved a number of the members of "audience" and removed any question about whether the string was actually cut in multiple pieces. For me, this is actually stronger than breaking the thread myself.

Again, the effect played great, and I enjoyed performing it, too! It was definitely a Win/Win effect for me! It's so visual it truly is magical!
[/quote]

Happy to hear this worked out for you. I too have found this to be very strong. Glade I could help

Floyd
I was also at a yarn shop ,and went around trying to break different yarns. I have found one which I will try later, my only concern is whether it might go a bit wooly ( hope this makes sense) if it fits all the other criteria I am sure I can find away to stop it looking wooly :)
Ok just been and tried it and it works perfectly, looking forward to putting it in my show, if anyone in the uk needs any info on it please pm me.
Hi Rowland, I have pm'd you re the thread but did you also solve the problem with the balloon n--k.

Barry
Hi Barry yes the thread I pm'ed you about cured the problem, the problem is caused by the ball being too small
[quote]
On 2012-02-03 09:19, rowland wrote:
I have just started practicing with this however I am having trouble keeping you know what inside the n••k of the balloon, I have turned it I••••e o•t as per the instruction but it keeps turning itself back again I have tried to make sure the neck is long enough. Has anyone else had this trouble and if so has a solution to it.
Thanks
Rowland
[/quote]

I'm having the same problem. I can't seem to fix it. I've tried making the balloon bigger still to no avail. Any suggestions? Maybe try different balloons? I'm out of Ideas..
For those of you who have had trouble breaking the thread that Tony Clark provides, he has added a small video to his website with some tips on breaking the thread.

http://www.tonyclarkmagic.com/magicshop/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=86

I personally haven't had the issue or have had problems keeping the thread where it's supposed to be. Be sure and tie off the balloon as high as possible. Very nice routine and easy to modify for lots of different venues. I used it at a fund raiser for the Utah Foundation for the Blind and while breaking the thread into different pieces, talked about how everyone can help make the foundation work by listing different ways to help each time I broke the thread.

Mike
[quote]
On 2011-07-18 11:25, davidpaul$ wrote:
[/quote]and the will last much longer than home blown balloons
Anyone got any tips for how to prevent the ball untying prematurely?
Hi trickychris,

I also came across this problem when learning.Its quite simple really , when you wrap the string round the bundle maybe 3 or 4 times you have to pull the string very tight on each wrap but particularly the last wrap so it bites the bundle.You will have no problem then.

Hope this helps, let me know.

Barry
Would this work with glow thread?
[quote]
On 2012-04-20 13:49, magicduro wrote:
Would this work with glow thread?
[/quote]

If you can easily break the thread I don't see why not.
I have the original spool of thread and I am very pleased with it.

My bigger problem is to "let it stay where it belongs" during performance. It always wants to go out.
My solution is to use super-glue to make the ballon thing smaller.
Same here kollo. I might have to try your superglue idea.

Thanks for posting it.
Super glue idea sounds good, I have also experienced this occasional problem and I have been using a slightly thicker yarn which still breaks easy but bulks the you know what up a bit, if he super glue idea works this would make it more fool proof.
I LOVE Superglue
: )
If anyone is truly troubled with the breaking of the thread, please let me know via PM. I don't want to take away from the sales of Tony's easy break thread but I've come up with a readily available, and easy, solution.

Thanks Café!
-Dane
[quote]
On 2012-06-03 16:29, kollo wrote:
I have the original spool of thread and I am very pleased with it.

My bigger problem is to "let it stay where it belongs" during performance. It always wants to go out.
My solution is to use super-glue to make the ballon thing smaller.
[/quote]

Brilliant. Thanks for that :)

DD
Sorry for the delay to those that have messaged me about my personal method and handling. I've sent it out, please let me know what you think!

Dane
Message: Posted by: richard_mentalism (Feb 26, 2013 12:50PM)
[quote]
On 2013-02-25 19:18, mrdane wrote:
Sorry for the delay to those that have messaged me about my personal method and handling. I've sent it out, please let me know what you think!

Dane
[/quote]
Hi Dane,
I have PMed you right now.
Message: Posted by: richard_mentalism (Feb 26, 2013 12:56PM)
I have started to do this trick and I face two problems:
1. Breaking the thread, but I overcome it with scissors.
2. My main problem is that most of the time I do not succeed to keep "it" inside the n**k and "it" gets out of there before time. I am very frustrated from that.
Any advice on my second problem will be most appreciated, if needed by PM.
Thanks!
Richard
Richard,

as I have posted earlier use superglue and it works perfect, so that you can perform with confidence

Kollo
Message: Posted by: richard_mentalism (Feb 26, 2013 02:24PM)
Kollo,
Thank you, I will try it.
I was just afraid that the superglue will not attach to what it is not supposed to attach (you certainly understand what I mean), but I will certainly try it.
I have performed this, and they TOTALLY loved it, it wonderful piece of magic.
The superglue works perfect.
Regarding breaking the thread I found a string which is very easy to cut by hands and it seems to me to be the best solution.
Can anyone tell me how long the reset is, or do I need another balloon ready to go?....Thanks....Scalito
You need another balloon as you give it away, reset is only a couple of minutes
Here my solution about the "stay in" problem.
If you put some "blue tac" inside and rub it a little bit, then you remove the "blue tac". Some rests will stay inside. This is enough to hold the "0"
I've been doing this with a water balloon to great effect.

I like to put my own spin on things.

DD
[quote]
On 2013-03-09 16:17, Axel Hecklau wrote:
Here my solution about the "stay in" problem.
If you put some "blue tac" inside and rub it a little bit, then you remove the "blue tac". Some rests will stay inside. This is enough to hold the "0"
[/quote]
Typical Axel :) I have used a Chapstick to do the same
Tony Clark has come out with Gypsy Thread 2.0. It uses a mylar helium filled balloon that you can find at dollar stores and they last forever. The balloon can be used over and over unless you give it away. The secret to the 2.0 version is terrific. I have been trying to come up with a new closer for my shows and I think I will give this a try. You can find it at Penguin Magic or AmazeKids.com and also Tony Clark's website. He also sells his new easy break string.
I have both versions and like version 2.0 much more. Word of caution, I would not perform this effect outdoors or anywhere that a fan or strong vent is nearby. It is a very strong closer and you end in a position that is an obvious applause cue. I start my show with this behind my backdrop. My 2nd to last routine is strong enough to close with just in case anything goes wrong.
Any suggestions for sentimental or comedy patter/presentations for this terrific effect?
Sentimental patter you want someone else to give you? Lol. Sums up magicians.
My patter is really effective ie for a senior group I talk about how much they had to overcome in their life or in years past.. I rip a piece of thread for each problem .. bad weather politics children who whatever etc... then I say my show was to get you to forget these bad things for a short period of time or I would say my show was to maybe give you some relief from all that and maybe some renewed stamina to go on.. then the thread unfolds...this can be altered to any age group and really easy for children... I kind of make it up on the spot given the ages in front of me... it is strong way to end

Marty
I saw Michael Carbonaro's touring show last month, he closed out the show with this while singing Pure Imagination. Was a nice way to end a show.