(Close Window)
Topic: Sanada gimmick?
Does anybody use this? If you're not familiar with it, this is the gimmick that Jay Scott Berry uses for a lot of his work. I saw him use it personally and it looked great in his hands. I didn't have the cash to buy it at the time because I saw it at the end of a long day at the convention and you all know how that is Does anybody use this? If you're not familiar with it, this is the gimmick that Jay Scott Berry uses for a lot of his work. I saw him use it personally and it looked great in his hands. I didn't have the cash to buy it at the time because I saw it at the end of a long day at the convention and you all know how that is ;) Anyway...let me know what you people think of it?
It is a great utility gimmick . Definitely worth getting.
I don't think it works as well in close-up situations , but if you're a few feet away from the audience then you're ok.
(unlike the good ol' TT , which is easier to conceal in both close up and stage applications)

Jay Scott Berry's thinking applied to Sanada is excellent.
The JSB video/dvd plus the gimmick is a bit more expensive,
but the gimmick is only $6.00 or 7.00 from most dealers.

If you saw JSB using it at a lecture and you have a good memory and/or took notes then you probably have what you need without purchasing the video/dvd. Or consider getting JSB's lecture notes
"Illusioneering 2000" (maybe the current version has been updated to "Illusioneering 2003" ?)
Misdirections Magic shop had the notes in stock last time I looked, and Denny also carries those notes . I think the notes are about $10.00 and they cover more than just the use of the JSB version of Sanada (JSB's is known as "the Cloaking Device") .
Great item... get it. :pepper:
I definitely don't recommend it for close-up work, I always got caught using it close-up, even though I couldn't see it! But I can see how wonderful a gimmick it is, and how useful it could be, if only I could use it!
Paul
I use it in every close up show I do! I've used it in my sponge routine at my restaurant gig, 20 times a night, 5 nights a week for a nearly a decade!

It's even more invisible than a thumb tip, as it doesn't "stick out" from your hand. It's a beautiful. vesatile prop.

JSB uses a modified version that he calls the Cloaking Device. He covers the Sanada Gimmick with medical adhesive tape. This is required for the way he has adapted it, but it makes the gimmick much more visible, particularly at close quarters. I have the Cloaking Device, but I prefer the Sanada Gimmick. Also, the CD comes pre-sized, while you can size the SG to fit.
Thanks for pointing that out , Scott.

When I posted earlier that "I don't think it works as well in close-up situations" I was , of course, referring to JSB's "Cloaking Device" , not the regular Sanada .
I think Scott up there, must be the master. He vanishes 3 1.5" sponge balls with the SG and I just can't figure that one out. I don't feel comfortable with it like he does. I've never put one in production.

... and I don't want to use 1" sponge balls
... I'm in love with 2 inch sponge balls
I've found that the "Unnatural" curve that my fingers were in while using this was a dead give-away that I was doing something unusual. My wife noticed right away and said "What's up with your hand?"

I was also a little unhappy with the lack of any *REAL* and substantial space using this gimmick. I solved it by placing it in some boiling water for a few minutes, straightening it a little, and then letting it cool.

My hand now looks a little more natural, and there is tons of space that I can use now.

David.
Hey, now that's a good idea David.
That is a good idea, I may have to dust it off and try again!
Paul
Message: Posted by: Christopher Williams (Aug 15, 2003 01:36PM)
I got it when I bought CREAM and it is brilliant. Better than a TT
The best use of this device I've ever seen was shown to me by Fantasio and I think it's based on a Dan Garrett idea. You basically hold up your hand slightly curved as if you are holding something between the thumb and other fingers. You say, "An invisible egg." You then switch this invisible something to the other hand and say, "An invisible egg." You switch it again and there is an egg. You bring up a glass and crack the egg open. I was startled when I saw this because he did it right in my face.
Greg
[quote]
On 2003-08-13 07:49, Kronos9326 wrote:
I've found that the "Unnatural" curve that my fingers were in while using this was a dead give-away that I was doing something unusual. My wife noticed right away and said "What's up with your hand?"

I was also a little unhappy with the lack of any *REAL* and substantial space using this gimmick. I solved it by placing it in some boiling water for a few minutes, straightening it a little, and then letting it cool.

My hand now looks a little more natural, and there is tons of space that I can use now.

David.
[/quote]

I agree with Kronos. I shy away from my Sanada gimmick because it looks unnatural... like I have acute arthritis or something. It is a useful gimmick if used "quickly" as in Scott's PB&J routine. Mr. Guinn's routine is about the only use I have for the Sanada gimmick.
Henry Evans uses this gimmick to a very good extent in his latest DVD series. Worth getting if you're into it.
Henry Evans' use of the gimmick for in his back in time routine is great.
Dan Garret introduced me to this gimick at a lecture last year. I use it to produce an egg at the beginning of my shows as I talk about the meaning of magic.

I've not used it in closeup. I don't think it would fit what I do in that arena. But I've been very pleased with it for that one effect!
Right after Fantasio performed and explained how he did it I went out and bought a Sanada. I was completely baffled when the egg suddenly appear in an opened hand. It's beautiful thinking.
Greg
OK, everybody try this. Hold your hand in front of your face, palm toward you, fingers pointing to the side. Now let your hand drop to your lap or the table (Little finger resting on the leap or table), but relax your hand completely as it drops. Look at your hand. Unless you are deformed or tense, your fingers will be curled--considerably more so than when a properly sized Sanada Gimmick is in place!

The key to the Sanada (and I use it for tons of stuff besides my sponge routine) is to RELAX your hand that doesn't have it on--it will look very similar. Further, by holding something at the tips of the fingers of the that hand (like a purse frame in my sponge routine or another bill in my bill to lemon) the hand becomes completely natural and the gimmick invisible.

Remember, lay-audiences aren't sitting there thinking, "I wonder if he has some gimmick that looks like part of his fingers where he hides stuff?" It's obvious to you, because YOU ALREADY KNOW IT EXISTS!

I got one of these back when they were first released in The States and no one knew about them. I did a lecture tour and NOT ONE magician in the room at ANY of over 20 lectures had any clue how I was vanishing the sponges. In fact, just to be onery, at one lecture I put on a thumb tip that I carelessly flashed all over the place. I used the SG to vanish the 3 balls at the end of my routine. When i finished, a VERY well known "name" said, "That's the smoothest load of a thumbtip I've ever seen, but you need to work on hiding it from view more during the rest of the routine!" I smiled, sneakily and said, "Oh, I don't use a TT for this routine." I pulled off the empty TT and tossed it to him. The room went ballistic!

Kronos, I imagine your wife noticed right away for a couple of reasons. You weren't comfortable and were self-conscious because the SG was new to you and you didn't have confidence in it, and she's your wife. The people closest to us are so familiar with our everyday moves and mannerisms that they will catch us on anything that is even slightly out of sync. After you learn to relax and are comfortable, though, I'd bet my reputation that your audiences won't have a clue!

Frank--if you're having trouble with the load of the balls at the end of PB&J, you're working too hard! Or you haven't sized the gimmick properly. There's nothing to it. You have to use supersoft balls and you just jam them down in to the base of the gimmick. Then the other hand helps close the gimmick under cover of a false transfer. Perhaps it'll be clear to you if you watch my DVD explanation. Just one ball or a bill, billet, finger ring, etc, is a piece of cake.

I am a big believer in this gimmick, as you can probably tell. It has significantly increased the power and "Cleanliness" of my magic, both stage and close up. It is not as cumbersome or visible as a TT and is also MUCH more angle-friendly. I still use a TT, too, but I like the SG better, and it has never been exposed to the general public or sold in magic sets at toy stores. So you even fool "the wise ones" who know about the TT.

I cannot recommend this too highly.
Very well said Scott! This is an invaluable utility device!
I use this just about everyday when doing a short little routine when people ask me "show me something". It gets them everytime. :smiles:
I had taken for granted that the SG should best be used when holding/displaying something else like a purseframe other small object, so the Garrett/Fantasio idea of displaying an invisible "whatever" is really appealing.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a dealer that stocks a good SG?
[quote]
On 2003-08-22 21:39, chappy wrote:
Can anyone point me in the direction of a dealer that stocks a good SG?
[/quote]

Denny & Lee Magic Studio
http://www.dennymagic.com/
Just curious...I haven't actually tried it but how can you get away hiding an egg with the Sanada gimmick? It doesn't bend or collapse as a silk or sponge ball would? I have trouble enough looking natural with a spongeball.-
Sponge egg...

I sell SGs as well. $7 each + $1 postage.
Or egg skin...
tr
:cool:
These Sanada gimmicks go for around $8-$12 correct?
Yes, average retail is $10 + shipping.
[quote]
On 2003-08-17 01:19, Scott F. Guinn wrote:

Frank--if you're having trouble with the load of the balls at the end of PB&J, you're working too hard! Or you haven't sized the gimmick properly. [/quote]

Scott...could you give more details on sizing the gimmick properly?
I trimmed it to fit my hand but perhaps that is too small. I don't know. When I put 3 sponge balls in there, I have quite a bit of tension in my hand if they are to remain hidden. If I let up, they start wanting to spring out,etc.
There is a tendency to overtrim. Doing so makes the hand appear more cramped and also makes it harder to hold in loads. The way to size it properly is to first trim the sides so that the gimmick is just very slightly wider than your fingers. I always trim the sharp corners at the bottom as well, as they are uncomfortable for me. Now place the gimmick in position and put the item(s) you will be vanishing/producing behind it. Go ahead and use the other hand to close the gimmick if need be. You want to trim off the least amount possible where you can still hold the loaded gimmick in place. If it's too long, it will "pop" off--either at the tips or, more often for me anyway, at the base of the fingers.

I have found it helpful to trim just a smidge at a time--no more than a sliver of say 1/32 of an inch. better to have to do that 3 or 4 times than to cut off a big chunk and have it be too much. You can slightly alter the curve of the gimmick (I haven't found this necessary) by aiming a (hair) blow dryer at it for about half a minute or so. I don't recommend hot water or a really hot blow dryer for more than half a minute, as you could end up warping the gimmick and melting it rather than making it pliable.

For the PB&J finale, as stated above, it is imperative that you use supersoft balls no larger than 1 and a half inch diameter. When you're placing the balls in the gimmick, don't just set them there--jam them down to the base so they're all squished up in a tiny bundle. After the 3rd ball, the thumb of the other hand presses the gimmick flat under cover of the false transfer.

Hope that helps clear up some things. I am not the world's foremost expert on this thing, but I have used it literally tens of thousands of times, and I'll be happy to offer any help and advice I can on it.
Thank you. I now have a much better feel of the process. In your instructions to PB and J you just say trim to fit and on the dvd you blew right past it with a brief mention if I remember (only watched it once so far...but watched it all!!). I was afraid I might go to far. I have never used a sanada before and am not yet comfortable with it. Time and practice I am sure. Tomorrow I will take knife in hand and have a go at it.
Scott,
After the false xfer, how long is your hand dirty? I cannot remember. Do you ditch it going for the purse frame in your pocket? If I remember correctly you do not. You end up holding the purse frame with the dirty hand. Is that correct?

Frank
It would be difficult for me to answer Franks' question in depth without tipping the method of the routine, but suffice to say, you are not "dirty" for long, and even when you are you do not appear to be, thanks to the SG (great initials, by the way!).

By the way, Barusky, I would recommend scissors as opposed to a knife.
Following Greg's comments re. the egg this is something I do with a sponge ball also. I do a routine where I say, "I have this invisible ball but its rubbish! Look, it's invisible in this hand but as soon as I put it in my other hand its visible again. Back in my other hand and its invisible again, back to the other visible. Rubbish !" Give ball--with a disgusted sigh (if you can afford)--to spectator. I am quite clumsy but find it very easy in passing the "invisible" ball from one hand to another to release or reload the SG. Quite an amusing little routine which is pretty magical and the audience laughs whilst at the same time being pretty impressed. By the by, I only pass from one hand to the other twice (fairly quickly), because anything more would be boring or risky. Its a great gimmick. :bunny:
Wow,

I thought I knew all the hand gimmicks. Never heard of this one. Sanada Gimmick? I need to know more, but would rather be fooled by it first.

$8 - $10 is a good price for me. Now that the Sarasota and Ft. Myers Beach magic shops have closed forever, I have no way to see anything demo'ed, without driving to Miami (not), or Tampa (3 hrs).

Doug
I personally don't like using the Sanada Gimmick.
I find it really hard to fit with my hand and I really don't have any use for it.
It can be trimmed with a pair of scissors to fit your hand. It can be used to vanish, produce or switch any small flat or compressible item: silks, sponges, bank notes, billets, etc. By far one of the most useful devices ever created.
The first time I saw Dan Garrett do a few sponge ball moves with it I thought "What's up with his right hand?"

The egg appearance that he did did make it look a little more natural though.

I did however think the idea was cool so I bought one, brought it home, and trimmed it. Now it seems to be doing a fine job collecting dust. Until all I've heard about Scott's sponge ball routine and all of his advice I assumed it was one of those things that I'd foolishly bought that's fallen by the way side.

Now I really think I should get it back out for another shot....

I still have the mental picture of Dan Garrett's deformed hand though.....scary..
I bought one after a Demonstration/Lecture by Sean Taylor (an Australian Magician) at Andrew Wimhurst's house.
I had absolutely no idea how he vanished and produced the sponge ball in the routine he did. It was so visual that I just had to have it.
I have played around with it for a while but can't quite get a feel for it. I have smallish hands so I had to trim it. I haven't altered it too much from the original shape, but I cropped it to a point were it feels comfortable in my hand.
I am still struggling with the vanish and production of the sponge ball that came with it.
Are there any demo videos of the SG in action? I think that I might invest in the DVD.
Message: Posted by: Daryl -the other brother (Oct 27, 2003 12:21AM)
Produce an egg with a Sanada? I have purchased this gimmick with Scotts PB & J (great routine), and where it would benefit with an egg production is beyond me. Could someone PM me with a little more detail?
Sponge egg.
What is the colour of one of these like?

I'm quite pale skinned, would it affect how it would look in my hand?

Damien :worry:
Like a thumb tip, the color is not as important as some seem to think. However, a bit of make up can handle it if you are concerned about it.
Does anyone use the gimmick in question to vanish a silk barehanded? If so, what is the maximum size silk that could be vanished? I have a very thin Italian silk that is 18 inches I want to vanish. Thanks.
Jim
Like most gimmicks it's what you do with it that counts. I don't use mine at all, but I don't have Scott's routine either. I look at what effects that I want to present and then see which gimmicks can help. I do have a thing about natural hand actions, but some practice will help overcome that. It's cheap enough to find out if it's for you or not.
Scott is your routine available to buy over here in England from anyone?
It's available only through me, due to cost considerations--I would lose money on it by offering it through dealers.
Scott, about the routine you teach on your video, I have gathered it uses the SG, can it be done without the SG?

I know with a bit of imagination a lot of things could be done, but do you explain a cleaner method?

I'm getting the DVD soon and will probably get a SG just for trial.
JamesInLA... bare handed vanish? Use a pull if you can, or a hank ball and ditch in topit, pocket... make it simple.
There isn't a cleaner method as far as I'm concerned. But yes, I used to do the vanish without the gimmick before I knew about it. I'd do a false transfer and reach into the pocket for the purse frame. I don't think it's nearly as clean or strong, though and now I always use the gimmick whenever I perform the routine.
In answer to JamesInLA's question about a one-handed vanish with a SG, I don't think that would be practical. The silk has to be pretty small and flat at the moment of vanish. And with that much heat on it, I don't think the SG would be a good choice. The SG is far better for flash appearances from an "empty hand." (Or at least it seems that way to me.)

Henry Evans has a great combination silk vanish (left hand - doesn't use a SG) with a simultaneous one handed silk appearance (right hand - benefits from a SG). I can't recall the name he gave it, but it is in his lecture notes, and possibly on one of his DVDs. Henry's lecture was the first time I saw an SG used, so I bought one immediately, and now have another with Scott's PB & J.

I also saw a great impromptu SG that was a bonus on the "underground" Torn and Restored Newspaper video offered here at The Magic Café a while back by FTAMagician.

BroDavid
I own one and have never tried applying it.
It would be nice for bare handed productions.
I can see some real value in a sponge balls routine, as well as coins.
So what's the best source for information on working with the Sanada? I'm looking for sleights, moves and subtlety instead of entire routines. Or is it too new?

So who's going to write "Fifty Tricks with a Sanada Gimmick?"
The Sanada gimmick is actually very old.

I'm not an expert on the device, but Jay Scott Berry has some good ideas on it and he even markets some variations of the gimmick itself.

Also, as I mentioned in a previous posting, Henry Evans has a great use for the standard gimmick in a "back in time" type of routine that uses a clear glass and a silk. I don't want to reveal too much, but he uses the Sanada gimmick to Han Ping Chien a silk! Talk about thinking outside of the box.
Scott is obviously a master with the Sanada. I bought it early on; no one had much to offer on it. It seemed clumsy and awkard with very little space. I gave it up immediately and have no desire to relearn it, but Scott should put out a video on this. His posts indubitably indicate that he really has much to offer on it.
MartyK

Bobdomerous,
Just noticed your post. My sentiments exactly. You already have my nomination, Scotty.
Marty K
Perhaps I will...
Only use it for vanishing my "glowing" sponge rabbit routine for kids, in combination with a D'lite combo.
There's not room for much more in my hands, but this routine works out well.... :bigdance:
[quote]
On 2003-11-15 02:52, Scott F. Guinn wrote:
Perhaps I will...
[/quote]

Hi Scott,

Did you ever post a vid? And, do you have a web site?

Thanks,

Bruce
Bruce, I think Scott's website and "stuff" have been abandoned.

So I think your answer is NO!

Frank
Thanks Frank (I keep running in to you here). That's too bad. He seemed to have some good "stuff" going.

Bruce
I never posted a vid, no, and never intended to. My website and the rights to my books and DVD have been sold--I am out of the magic retail business. PB&J is no longer for sale as a separate item and may never be again. The books will be republished in either perfect bound or hardbound format and rereleased by the new owner. I can't speak to when that will be--I no longer have anything to do with it. The website address will link to his page when he gets it working and "up," so keep trying it:

http://www.greatscott-itsmagic.com

I am concentrating my efforts on performing for the public and on other areas of my life and am out of the business of selling to magicians.
Message: Posted by: radiantentertainment (Apr 15, 2004 08:59AM)
I want to thank Mr. Guinn for the advice on the SG. I have to admit I am not familiar with Mr. Guinns material on the SG.

I fell in love with the SG the moment I first watched it used. It was performed poorly but I could see the potential.I use the SG only for a sponge ball production, vanish, and reappearance now. These postings have started my gears turning for more though. Thanks to everyone.

To try to talk some of you into dusting off your SG I'll explain my sponge ball opening. I'm not a magic author so bear with me.

The vanishes are done in french drop position SG'ing the ball instead of dropping it. The appearances are done by passing the hand with the SG in front of the clean hand in a spell bound like move.

Using the SG to show a the invisible ball everyone plays it off as a joke. There is no heat on the SG at all. While transfering the invisible ball from hand to hand to display it to spectators on both sides direct attention toward a child by asking "Can you say alakazam?". The child naturally says alakazam. At that moment make the sponge ball appear in the clean hand.

Then after the appearance all eyes are on the ball as the dirty hand falls to the wayside. The SG is not loaded so the hand appears very natural. Raise the dirty hand and do a couple of transfers to display the ball to both sides again. This is also for consistancy. Since I use 2" super soft the SG is almost covered.

Ask a child if they can say alakazoo. When they do, vanish the ball. Do another transfer for display. Say alakazam to make the ball appear, after producing the ball offer it for examination. The split second that my left hand places the ball on the table to be examined I ditch the SG in my right pocket.

I find that after this simple set of moves my regular sponge routine has much more validity. It has became a much more powerful piece. If this explantion is not clear PM me and I will describe it in more detail. Let me know what you think.
First, while I truly appreciate the respectful attitude, please call me Scott. We are peers and hopefully will become friends, and I am no more important than anyone else here, so the need for formality and deference is non-existent when addressing me. If I were on the level of some of our more celebrated members such as Wesley James or Larry Becker, that deference would be appropriate, but I'm just a journeyman magician in Podunk, Idaho! (Again, though, I sincerely appreciate the underlying attitude!)

I think what you're describing is an excellent use of the gimmick. While there are many uses and applications, we must be careful not to "get greedy with a principle." Find as many uses as possible that add rather than detract from your routines, but do not insert the SG into a routine where it is not needed just because it can be inserted. And even if you have some awesome uses for it, I wouldn't use it for more than one or two routines within the same show. Just my opinion, yours may differ and still be equally or even more valid!
Message: Posted by: radiantentertainment (Apr 16, 2004 04:29PM)
Till a introduction I call everyone by there last name. Just a force of habit. From now on it will be Scott though.
I am in agreement with you. I only use the SG to open my sponge routine. I do a production, vanish, and reappearance then I rely on no gimmicks. The intial opening with the SG adds conviction to the rest of my sleights.
I'm may be starting at a Japanese steak house. I love the egg idea for this.
I think mentalist have better use of the SG then magician. Try it.
[quote]On Aug 15, 2003, Greg Arce wrote:
The best use of this device I've ever seen was shown to me by Fantasio and I think it's based on a Dan Garrett idea. You basically hold up your hand slightly curved as if you are holding something between the thumb and other fingers. You say, "An invisible egg." You then switch this invisible something to the other hand and say, "An invisible egg." You switch it again and there is an egg. You bring up a glass and crack the egg open. I was startled when I saw this because he did it right in my face.
Greg [/quote]

Can it be done sleeveless ?
DrVG - not sure if Greg posts on this thread any more.

Sleeves have nothing to do with it. The Sanada gimmick allows for concealment of the compressed egg skin.
You have to steal the real egg from somewhere with the right hand, but hardly a sleeve.

The key is the directed focus to the left hand with the apparent production of the egg after both hands are apparently empty.
But, this can be accomplished without the gimmicks at all if one in in control of the audience attention.

So, what is the result you desire? What effect will come before and what after? Then you can work backwards to method.
I love working with eggs and the breaking to show it is real is a questionable action as it suggests that the produced one may not be real.
Why would your audience think that? In the described effect above it was one to impress a magician.

Not saying you should not use this acquitment sometime in a routine, just that it may not be necessary depending on how your entire routine evolves.
Update...Scott Guinn's routines are now sold by Lybrary.com. There are about 50 different downloads available, including "Peanut Butter & Jelly". (Look on page 2.)

https://www.lybrary.com/scott-f-guinn-m-235.html