(Close Window)
Topic: Hauntiques
I just ran across a very interesting book called Hauntiques by some cat named Christian Chelman at a friends place, and I have to say this book has some good stuff in it! Very well written. Does anyone know if this is still in circulation? I checked Amazon but it's saying that it's currently unavailable.
William,

It is a good book. Also, very beautifully produced. Some dealers may have it, but I understand it is out of circulation. I am pretty sure my local shop has it in stock. I bought mine there a while back. Christian is a member here and can probably clarify.
Oh, nm. I just realized that Christian is the Curator. Man I feel silly, no wonder I felt like I knew the guy from somewhere X.x

Posted: Apr 20, 2011 11:51am
Ah thanks Paul. Also check your emails, I just sent you one this morning.
It's a great resource with a lot of ideas.

What I'd love is a full reference book for building bizarre props. Is there one, or should I start compiling one?
Jon,
You're currently working on Part 2 of Electronics for Magicians 2? After reading Part 1 and hearing of your plans for Part 2, I've been waiting for additional info on a pending release. Any info?
[quote]
On 2011-04-20 12:23, RandyScott wrote:
Jon,
You're currently working on Part 2 of Electronics for Magicians 2? After reading Part 1 and hearing of your plans for Part 2, I've been waiting for additional info on a pending release. Any info?
[/quote]
Yup, it's in the works. Over Easter, after I've cleared the queue of orders, I'll have a decent chunk of time to really push it on. And yes, there will be a section on radio control!
Capricornian tales By Christian is well worth getting your hands on as well.
Glad to see that you enjoy the books.
I didn't know he was a cat. Curiouser and curiouser...
Meeeeeeooooooooooow !
Both books by Christian are wonderful. Been in my collection for some years now and I love the story telling aspect of it.
Get themj both.

regards, Damon
I saw it still advertised on the website at Midwest magic in Chicago. I use to visit that shop years ago and he said that he likes to keep the website products up to date almost daily. I use to drive there like 80 miles; and he said to call him before I came down so to make sure he had the products I was looking for. Saw it on the site the other day. Excellent book.
The book (a limited edition of 1000, I believe) has been stated as being officially out of print and sold out for a month or two now. Your best bet is to search all of the online vendors to see if they have remaining stock.

I think I bought Penguin's last one 2 years ago and it was one of the luckiest finds I've ever had. It sits next to Capricornian Tales and will never be leaving my bookshelf.
I own Capricornian Tales and I anxiously await the appearance of Hauntique's to my bookshelf
LOL. This thread is hilarious! I thought that everybody knew about Christian's work. I have both of his books and wouldn't sell them for anything.

Cheers,

J.Warrens
I know for a fact Diamond's Magic has a copy «or two» waiting on their bookshelf for some lucky winner.
How do I know?..I was there yesterday.
Message: Posted by: Crossroads Mystic (Apr 25, 2011 08:46AM)
There is currently a copy for sale in Let's Make a Magic Deal.
~Gavin
Hi!

The book is out of print: I haven't got any copy left. However, I know there are some dealers, around the world, with one or two copies on their shelves (seen one in Italy last week...). The book is worth tracking down (and I'm not saying this just because I'm the publisher!) as it presents a practical way to merge storytelling with magic, with a number of stories that could allow anybody to create their own "legends" using Christian's plot as a starting point.

Currently, I only have available a few copies of [i]Paradise Lost[/i], an effect by Christian with apparatus, text and handling all in a single package...

Many thanks for supporting [i]Hauntiques[/i]!
Thanks for sharing the referral Marlowe - they now have one copy less! Just finished the order over the phone with Eddie.
Mr Pusterla, I wanted to know if you will publish the Compendium Sortilegionis, latest French book of Christian Chelman, in English?
Or do you know if this project will occur before a long time? or perhaps the Curator himself could give us an answer?
Until now, the project doesn't exist. I'm currently writing Fabula Hermetika, the third French tome about bizarre magic.
Maybe I'm missing something obvious here.....but, how about a second printing of Hauntiques. Everyone with their first edition would have their collector's edition and those of of that may have missed the earlier boat could get the second edition (with possibly a new introduction from the Curator? Possibly new thoughts on the effects? Possibly a boxed set with Capricornian Tales? Hey, it was woth a shot.)
I wish I knew French. Are there any German translations of any of the other books?
I know enough German to sort it out...
Hi!

In regards to Compendium Sortilegionis... Christian and I have discussed the option of publishing the book for the English market but the work behind it is huge as CS is a graphic book which will have to be re-designed completely and this will take a skilled designer some considerable time (without talking about the translation, of course). Furthermore, I should also publish another book with Christian's magic (including his work on the [i]Blitz[/i], the under-the-spread cull) but I'm not sure a book is the best media to explain this technique.

In regards to a reprint of [i]Hauntiques[/i] there isn't at the moment enough request to warrant it and a boxed set with [i]Capricornian Tales[/i] will necessitate some sort of agreement with L&L Publishing. Furthermore, I always planned a single print of [i]Hauntiques[/i], to increase its collectable value and to make it quite "special". Its print run was bigger than Christian Chelman's other books in French and bigger than many other bizarre magick books (think of Andruzzi's, for example). I'm not sure I will reprint it, but given sufficient requests, I may consider it.

So, for the moment, bad news, I'm sorry :(
To give you an idea of the complexity of Compendium Sortilegionis, I show you 2 pages from the book.
Fabula Hermetika will be even more complex...

[img]http://img830.imageshack.us/img830/477/compendium208web.jpg[/img][img]http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/8671/compendium172web.jpg[/img]
Okay. Officially. that's just not fair. Not fair at all.

Sometimes I wish I would have studied French in High School. Nooooooo, I just haaaaaad to study Spanish.

If only I would have known....

Those are beautiful graphics, Mr. Chelman!!
Thank you for the news, good or bad. I could perhaps found an opportunity for a second-hand Compendium, one day...
Now, I will wait for Fabula Hermetika (2012, 2013?)
That a "no" on any German editions of any of the books then?
Yep, only French.
We don't hurry for Fabula, it really depends the availability of Benoit, the graphist.
[quote]
On 2011-04-21 08:53, Marlowe wrote:
I know for a fact Diamond's Magic has a copy «or two» waiting on their bookshelf for some lucky winner.
How do I know?..I was there yesterday.
[/quote]

***! I'm heading to Diamond Magic tomorrow.....better call Eddie and tell 'em to put is aside for me!
Darn. Shoulda' took French instead of German then...
..........And now Eddie has NO copies of Hauntiques! >:-)
Matthew,

Try this site: http://www.laportamagica.it/Scheda.asp?ID=4087 - the book was available last week. Otherwise you could try my good friend Francis at Aquarius http://www.aquarius-magic.com/ but I can't see any in his catalog...

For Compendium... I've not said I'm not going to do it, just that is a very time-consuming project (but the material is [b]WORTH[/b] the work...).

Good luck,
While I understand there may be a reluctance to compromise...

How about a two volume set--perhaps bound together-- composed of the French edition in its entirety supplemented by an English translation of the text?

I'd buy it.
:) that's a good idea, but not very practical... The French edition (300 copies? Correct me, Curator!) is out of print and I believe that Christian Chelman's material should be presented in an artistic way, as his work is Art. A translation of the text would be perhaps suitable to study the material, but you will miss the Art of Christian's work that you could - in a limited way - perceive by reading a book that has been designed to give you a small idea of what you may feel by attending a performance (for lack of a better word...) of Christian's magic.

Only last year I had the good chance to sit down, once again, with Christian and to see his magic, and he's way ahead of anybody else in our field. Unfortunately, a book cannot describe sufficiently his performances (but it may give an idea of the direction to follow) and a video will lack tha magical atmosphere that Christian and his objects create in a live performance.

Watching Christian is like listening Doc Shiels telling one of his stories (another highlight of my magical career)... they are creating Art with their personas and going beyond what most "bizarrists" can do.

A translated and fully illustrated book is the only option - I believe - to honour Christian's material. It's also a bl**dy hard work! :)
Legendes Urbaines (500 copies) and Compendium Sortilegionis (800 copies).
Both sold-out.
[quote]
On 2011-04-28 15:34, MPMagic wrote:
Matthew,

Try this site: http://www.laportamagica.it/Scheda.asp?ID=4087 - the book was available last week. Otherwise you could try my good friend Francis at Aquarius http://www.aquarius-magic.com/ but I can't see any in his catalog...

For Compendium... I've not said I'm not going to do it, just that is a very time-consuming project (but the material is [b]WORTH[/b] the work...).

AH, what I meant was now he has none because I just purchased the last copy! :)

Thanks for the links though! I'm going to save and browse them.

Good luck,
[/quote]
[quote]
On 2011-04-28 16:52, The Curator wrote:
Legendes Urbaines (500 copies) and Compendium Sortilegionis (800 copies).
Both sold-out.
[/quote]

Got one of each :D (of course - and signed by The Curator himself! :D )
Another new fan of Magister C here. I have just bought and started to read Capricornian Tales and there is not quite the right verb of appreciation regarding the layout, illustrations and wit of the text.

K
I read the first half of Hauntiques as soon as I got home from Diamond's Magic today......simply amazing.
I'm glad I picked up Compendium Sortilegionis when I did (not long before it sold out I would guess) and I'm also glad I studied French in high school and kept up the interest in languages as a hobby. :)

I would almost go as far to say that even if you couldn't understand a word of it, the graphical artistry of CS would still make it worth owning (if you can find a copy now). Of course much more is gained from reading it! Also a small portion of the material in CS is available in English on the Surnateum website.

If you can find Hauntiques though definitely get it.

Looking forward to the new book when it's done.
Absolutely!

I'm going to be on the hunt for a copy of Compendium Sortilegionis...I can fake my way through French pretty decently (four years of French in high school, thank you very much!)

I'll also be on the look out for a copy of Capricorn Tales (which if I am not mistaken, is still pretty easily available....correct me if I'm wrong!)
Capricornian Tales is indeed still available and worth every penny!
Hauntiques is the only magic book that is not on my shelf with the others, because it is irreplaceable.
Tarbell is easy to find, Downs on Magic, all of the others can be found again without too much hassle.
Not so much with this one, so it is kept much more carefully.
After reading this whole thread to date, I can't believe I snapped up a copy less than a week ago!
This book is so much more.
This is what I love about Magic Café. I can't get a week without putting something on my wishlist, and staying away from it only makes it actually worse.

Hi, My name is Robert and I am a bizarre/traditional magicholic....(group in unison): Hi Robert.
Yeah, I was fortunate enough to grab a copy just a few days ago. Fabulous Tome!
Love hauntiques, and I really love capricornian tails
[quote]
On 2011-05-02 04:18, supercool wrote:
I really love capricornian tails
[/quote]
Deep fried with a bit of pepper and marmalade....mmmmmm.
[quote]
On 2011-05-01 21:22, afinemesh wrote:
Capricornian Tales is indeed still available and worth every penny!
[/quote]

Excewllent, that is next on my list!