(Close Window)
Topic: Tunnel Of Darkness?!!
Hey All,

Has the world gone mad.....an unboxed Tunnel of Darkness selling for 205 ($340) on Ebay!! Surely a record!!??
[quote]
On 2011-05-04 07:08, macmac wrote:
Hey All,

Has the world gone mad.....an unboxed Tunnel of Darkness selling for 205 ($340) on Ebay!! Surely a record!!??
[/quote]

It's a fluke. Card Changer went for $160+!

Spikes like this aren't really indicative of actual market value but must be calculated into the median market value.
How about the Mystery Of The High Hat without packaging that went for 288 USD! There are a couple of people (one that I know of) with too much money buying some stuff ... as Houdini said this isn't the real value of the tricks.
Value is an interesting thing. One thing is clear the rarer items continue to maintain strong value. Good news for those of us with considerable collections... makes it tough if you are building a collection
ToD is a wonderful effect but it's honestly not that rare. It's old and scarce, but not rare.

I think what's most remarkable is that Tenyo tricks continue to defy the economy. It amazes me that in tough times, at any monetary amount, Tenyo tricks garner so much interest and result in so many sales.

As previously stated, if you're a die-hard collector and you really need a trick, and, you have the money, $350 for ToD probably seems like a fair price. That said, eBay completed auction searches reveal a much lower average price point for ToD.

In all reality, ToD is a $150-200 trick BNIP, I wouldn't pay a penny more it.

Also keep in mind that really cool trick videos (such as those done by MP), drive up the price of our collections.

I think if a Tenyo magic price guide were to be produced, many would be surprised to learn our tricks aren't as valuable as we think as prices would be based on long-term averages, not peaks.
Tenyo I think falls into a unique niche in magic collecting. It is very easy to track your collection and identify the pieces you are missing. As your collection grows the desire to complete the collection intensifies. I think it is the same phenomenon as collecting cards or figurines as a kid... only more expensive! Tenyo items also have a unique "play value" which makes them desirable. At the end of the day the value of any one item is whatever someone is willing to pay... while there will be spikes overall prices have trended up the past year on the older items. As you point out in a soft economy that seems unusal, however research has shown that afforable luxuries or treats can do well in softer economy, as people look for relief from the pressures around them.

John
Yeah!! It's that *** Magic Patagonia and his professional quality Tenyo presentations on Youtube, making these tricks look so cool, and artificially driving up the price for the rest of us. Let's get him!! :)
You are correct cyberdave, actually myself, Killertweety , Nicolino and a few unnamed others have been seceretly funding the Magic Patagonia video project, once prices hit the peak we will begin strategically selling off our collections!

John
I never said his video work was a bad thing, if anything, it's great for us. Jeeez...
Houdini103126 I assume you realize those posts are "tongue in cheek". I think we all agree MP's videos are great.

Cheers,

John
Wow...thank you for the words guys!!!...I really enjoy making these videos and playing with my Tenyo stuff...
[quote]
On 2011-05-04 19:11, J M Talbot wrote:
Houdini103126 I assume you realize those posts are "tongue in cheek". I think we all agree MP's videos are great.

Cheers,

John
[/quote]

John,

I do ;)
Houdini,
I wasn't being sarcastic; I agree with you. Magic's excellent presentations have sent me on some quests for some of the Tenyo tricks myself.

BTW, if you can believe it, the word they starred out isn't the word you would think. It was d*mn.
[quote]
On 2011-05-04 14:11, J M Talbot wrote:
You are correct cyberdave, actually myself, Killertweety , Nicolino and a few unnamed others have been seceretly funding the Magic Patagonia video project, once prices hit the peak we will begin strategically selling off our collections!

John
[/quote]

Sssssshhttt! :innocent:
[quote]
On 2011-05-04 14:11, J M Talbot wrote:

John
[/quote]

Lol John! :cheers:
And now after seeing the DiFatta video fo Nostradaus Clock I wish I'd bid on it, lol!
Nostradaus Clock is not a good trick.
I disagree Stereo - perhaps it's not very easy to perform, but to name it 'not a good' trick ... ? It does require some practice and sometimes the 'gimmick' doesn't work fluently in my version, but when it works and you perform it right it's a real fooler imho.

Btw I especially like the fact you can hand everything out for inspection before the trick (you know, the 'rattling' sound the clock makes).
I have one signed by the creator, it was unopened but I never arrive to make it work and let examine because impossible to make the rattling sound without press the bouton.
Design and plastic is poor quality. I largely prefear Masuda's Frozen in Time.