(Close Window)
Topic: Are apps worth the hassle?
Ok, here is a question for anyone who has released a magic app for the iphone.Is it worth it?

I have some very cool ideas for apps that I think could be well received by the magic community. I just don't see how it is all that cost efficient. There seems to be more of an outlay in design and programming costs than for bringing say a DVD out and with a price of only $2 it seems difficult to recoup that outlay. magic is a pretty small market anyway and then you are limited again to magicians who only have iphones (although it seems quite a lot of us do)

I doubt I will get any real answers about how many apps people have sold or the profits they are making-certainly not on an open forum anyway! if anyone wants to pm me feel free :)
but if you can give me a rough idea of the number of sales the average magic app makes I would be ever so grateful.

Thanks in advance,

Matt
I'd love to know too if it's worth going through the trouble of making something like this...

I've recently just started playing with making windows phone 7 apps- and the market for that is MUCH smaller.

Durgy
Hi Guys,

All I can say is that I'm happy with the profits from iForce.

iPredict on the other hand hasn't been doing so well. (Even though it often gets better reactions)

Magic apps are just like any other app . . . if you market them, they can explode.

I agree that the market of magic is small, but I KNOW the market for magic apps is very large.
Everyone wants to be able to do something AMAZING. If you can allow them to do that on their device, with a powerful effect, that's easy to do, then you've got a great product that has a wide market.

I have sold iForce and iPredict to just about ANYONE you can imagine . . . 9 out of 10 people that come into contact with iForce purchase it (that includes the ladies).

My problems have been:
1. How do I show my apps to more people?
2. Magicians giving my apps fake 1 star ratings ( to keep the ratings low, so not too many people find out about them).

If I had the funding to solve problem number 1, then I would be a very rich man.
Greg Rostami

P.S. If you're wondering how many products I've sold, use the 9/10 stats with the number of views of iForce!? ;)
Aything new coming out soon Greg? Iforce pro?
Matthew, If you're the guy that has the last coin in 3 fly float visibly through the air from one hand to the other... If you're that guy... I'd love to see what ideas you come up with for an iphone app ;)

Sean
I have been wondering about the same thing, Matthew. I have developed a updated routine that is performed by a number of mentalists in the past, but this "app" allows a kicker.

-My routine takes a difficult to perform effect and makes it easy
-There is finally a finale' to this routine
-The participant uses their own phone, not yours
-The revelation of the routine does not happen on the phone
-You will just know things you shouldn't be able to know
-The theme justifies the entire process and method

I have received several quotes to develop the app, but it's just a chunk of change, if it just sits there (and one buys it).

Thanks for the honest and helpful comments, gents.

Sean
I have enjoyed excellent sales with several of my apps "No Freakin' Way", Magic Draw, BizCard Magic, and the two newest "Loose Change Magic" & "True Lies" also doing well without any real advertising yet.
The programming is done by me so I don't have any expense except my time. Almost every time someone performs one of my apps it leads to more sales. I perform for a living so this is a hobby for me and I am happy the monthly checks come in regularly.

That said the magic market is small and to really make it rich you need an app with as much universal appeal as possible.
I have released several iPhone apps previously 'Premonition', 'Faster than Calc', 'Mind Crystal' ...etc.

I am quite proud of the concepts of the apps above since all of them used principles which are quite original.

It's always fun to create something with iPhone as possibility is unlimited.

Alex Hui
I have released several apps for Andorid. One (Coin in phone) generates nice revenues, the others less. It's not a lot, but it's nice. Other benefits are that once the app is ready, there is no cost for each additional copy, and that you can sell 24*7 all over the world. I develop my own apps, my primary occupation is as a software developer. If you need help building an app, or need more detailed data, send me a PM.