(Close Window)
Topic: Where is Roy Kueppers?
Does anyone know if Roy Kueppers is OK? - I placed an order, and emailed me with suggested improvements to my order - which I did and paid - and he replied that everything was good to go -

I have sent several emails and tried to reach him by phone (and left a message)

Is there a big convention or something?

Thanks..
David
He usually phones back very quickly but sometimes gets a bit backlogged with orders. The other big problem may be a Canadian Postal strike due for this week. Hopefully he is able to mail from the US.

Ed
Roy is very responsive to emails and you can usually get him on the phone.. If you are unable to do so, there must be something.. He might be out for a magic convention or for some shows. The season has started. I think you best option is to email him..
The original question really doesn't need to be posted as a new topic - does it?

A Few emails sent, no responses... so?

To me this type of post just sets the wrong tone, and can have the unwanted effect of sullying the name or service reputation of someone who is known as a quality producer. I know you may mean well, but why broadcast this to the whole gang? Ya I know, you expressed concern about Roy.. but asking...

"Does anyone know if Roy Kueppers is OK?" ...just comes off all wrong to me.

PM a few people who know him perhaps, I dunno. It's too easy to start rumors.
In a way, saysold1 is right. To answer the original question from rdwinc, PM sent.

Just to clear up any confusion from the original message, if I may, it was obviously intended as a question of concern. Mr. Kueppers is a very, very good craftsman and does beautiful work to rival that of anybody else I have seen/used products from. He is very good at returning calls/e-mails but as all magicians should know, when someone works for/by themselves manufacturing/producing products for others, as Roy Kueppers does, it takes a lot of time.

Please be patient and I guarantee you the level of quality, the craftsmanship and your satisfaction will be worth it, and you will be well rewarded!

I hope this helps.
How long did you wait?

Plus, once your order was settled, why were several more emails and phone calls made?

Jim
Dr J has my intentions correct - I'm not aware of all the convention and the fact a season has started. He has done nothing wrong, and I have purchased from him in the past and he has always responded in a day or two. I really expected a response like - "he travel during the month of May, or There was a major convention.

I have emailed him, and called him. He hasn't done anything wrong, and if you read that from my posting I'm sorry. Roy is 100% in my books - that's why I posted what I posted. This is a very tight community, and I'm just an outsider looking in.

Sorry for an negative feeling by anyone. But I just wanted to know.

David
Soon you will be inside looking out!

Things are a bit touchy here with regard to our precious gaff makers. There are so few, and they are so important to those of us who appreciate high quality craftsmanship. I have never seen anyone rip Roy here on the Café, but I understand the sensitivity given recent highly negative posts about other gaff makers.

Cheers,

Alan
Yeah, but face it: the thread title and initial post sounds like a bit of a rant rather than actual concern for Roy! And I still don’t know how long you have been waiting. If a day or so then you are simply being impatient; if a week or two then you might have a reason to rant a bit. If longer then you most definitely have a good rant coming.

Jim
Did you try calling him?
After an exchange of PMs, sounds like David has good reason to rant here. Over a month without word from Roy, according to David. I think I'd be a little -- umm -- concerned also.

Jim
Hey David. I've been in touch with Roy for the past 2 months. I spent the first sending him emails to find out more about some of his products and have spent the last month, after payment, keeping in touch and enquiring about my coins...I have no idea if they are even shipped out yet but I understand this isn't like fast food. Roy, based on his emails, which are replied within three days max, is busy. I'm sure a reputable businessman like him wont let his customers down.
Roy did have some major customer service issues a few years ago (search the Café). It appeared he got everything straightened out
and got back on track.
Thanks Kyle-
I got an email from Roy - still working on it.. should ship this week... Just a long as I know he's around...

David
A guy could go sit on the John for half an hour and have the entire Café "searching" for him, all the while implying that they think they're about to get ripped off.

[i]"But I was just worried about him"[/i] in this case translates into [i]"He hasn't returned my email and I sent it 20 minutes ago"[/i].
Hi everyone, just letting you all know that I am okay and thanks for your concerns about my well being ! I rarely come to the Café but am glad that I did this morning ! I am ( as always ) very busy but can assure each of you that your orders are in the process of being completed and there are no issues other than the typical back logged ones. It's hard to explain my process but what happens is that I have specific machines that do specific jobs and sometimes I have to finish a run of one product before I can set up and move on to the next. and sometimes I am making a hundred or more of one item for a distributor and have to complete that run before moving forward. The good news here is that I have invested big money into more equipment and am setting them up in such a way that the larger dealer/distributor orders will not slow down my custom orders. I have also done a bit of travelling to conventions etc lately because I feel the need to get out and shake some hands as well as show off some of my new products. I really enjoy meeting the people that support what I do and keep me doing what I love each day. Once again, I appreciate your patience and concern ! Back to the shop ! Roy Kueppers
Are we all good? Panic is over?! Life can resume?!
Good thing this did not turn into a gaff coin recovery mission! I'm totally relieved now.
[quote]
On 2011-05-23 10:49, egoli wrote:
...The other big problem may be a Canadian Postal strike due for this week...
[/quote]
Rotating strikes on now:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/canada-post-strike-begins-as-workers-walk-out-in-winnipeg/article2045582/

Laurie
? He's easily reachable by email and replies politely and promptly as far as I know.

Roy - let's discuss expanded gaffs ;)
Regarding Canada Post strike- lockout: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/union-calls-canada-post-lockout-irresponsible/article2061625/
I made my order with him on April 8 of this year. Each time I call him asking him when it will be ready, he tells me it will be ready the present week. I still received nothing.
[quote]
On 2011-06-21 22:06, Dynamike wrote:
I made my order with him on April 8 of this year. Each time I call him asking him when it will be ready, he tells me it will be ready the present week. I still received nothing.
[/quote]

Keep in mind that he is very busy and may be confusing one order from another, but he always gets the job done. I am still waiting on an order from March 18 that shipped out 7 days after I ordered it and it has yet to arrive. The issue is not Roy because he has even offered to re-make the order and ship it again. I refused that because it is not his fault. I myself have had some very big issues with the current Canadian Post strike, as a business owner, which have cost me a lot of money in using alternatives.

Also, keep in mind that he is currently adding new machinery to his shop to help with his workload, and that in itself is very time-consuming.

When you call, just make sure he understands unmistakably which order yours was and what was in it. In dealing with Roy, have patience and even the long waits will eventually be very well rewarded.
I have made two orders in the past from Roy. The first one got shipped almost the 2-3 days. The second one took a little bit more. So it depends on the amount of work he has to do. But I can assure you that it worth waiting for the coins..
[quote]
On 2011-06-21 23:43, Dr_J_Ayala wrote:
When you call, just make sure he understands unmistakably which order yours was and what was in it. In dealing with Roy, have patience and even the long waits will eventually be very well rewarded.
[/quote]
I did tell him my name. He clearly told me it would be ready the present week each time I called. I am assuming he already knew what the order was. It looks like he is just using those words but not really being honest to his customers. Businesses should be honest to keep good publicity.

I never heard anything negative about Schoolcraft and Lassen when it comes to timing. And I read they make the best quality coins. The last time I called Roy I told him I wanted a refund if the order is not completed the present week as he mentioned to me the previous times. He still has not refunded my order. I want the refund because I want to purchase from Schoolcraft or Lassen instead. And that way I will not have to worry about any strike dealing with postal delivery.

Dave, have you received your order yet?
American shippers can't even send stuff out to Canadians with USPS right now. USPS won't accept the items because Canada Post isn't accepting anything from them. I think the Corporation pulled quite a stunt locking out the workers. I suppose it's their prerogative but they're alienating the customers who've supported them in a big way right now. The workers were smart enough not to go to a nationwide full stop, at least. I appreciate that much.
I placed an oder this year from Roy and the following happened;

A: I received an email with the cost
B: I received an email accepting the order
C: I had an estimated time- not exact but a reasonable guess
D: I received an emial when I thought it would be don and was told it was complete, verified a detail
E: Email notification of shipment
F: arrival

Everything was as described, exactly what I ordered and the craftmanship was equal to anything else I have from the the two other major gaff makers.

NO problems , worries or anything else- I will order from again when I need coin material he manufactoers.

Class Act - nice guy would love to meet in person and really like to see his shop

Thanks Roy!
[quote]
On 2011-06-22 09:44, magicalaurie wrote:
American shippers can't even send stuff out to Canadians with USPS right now. USPS won't accept the items because Canada Post isn't accepting anything from them. I think the Corporation pulled quite a stunt locking out the workers. I suppose it's their prerogative but they're alienating the customers who've supported them in a big way right now. The workers were smart enough not to go to a nationwide full stop, at least. I appreciate that much.
[/quote]

Please feel free to post updates, Laurie. I have been waiting on a package of $250 worth of books for a month now.:angry:

Alan
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/ottawa-notebook/canada-post-debate-drags-on-and-could-for-days-more/article2073925/

“But the speeches are animated and lucid and passionate,”

I just heard a bit of one, sounds like the guy's asleep. :rolleyes:

Posted: Jun 24, 2011 2:21pm
Actually, it might be the translators who are unconscious.

Laurie

Posted: Jun 25, 2011 11:47pm
http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/story/2011/06/25/canada-post.html

After having a listen for several hours yesterday, I appreciate what the NDP was trying to do here. There are definite problems with this bill, and the tone it's been delivered with by the majority Conservative party. The NDP made the point quite repeatedly- understatement- and so it's documented, at least.

Laurie

Posted: Jun 26, 2011 7:12pm
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/mail-could-resume-tuesday-senate-passes-back-to-work-bill/article2075879/
Thanks, Laurie

Looks like we should be able to buy from Canada any day now.
You're welcome, Alan. Yes, the Canadian postal workers will be back on the job today, sorting the mail, and the mail will be moving again tomorrow.

Laurie
I want to thank those who sent me a private message/e-mail concerning your complaints. If anyone had a complaint with Roy Kueppers, please send me a private message/e-mail so we can work on a solution.
My Wand arrived today - WOW - I will say it was WELL worth the wait. In all fairness to Laurie - (which I have ordered from as well) - the US press has/had nothing about the strike. Thanks for keeping us posted!
David
[quote]
On 2011-07-01 16:05, rdwinc wrote:
the US press has/had nothing about the strike.
[/quote]
Agree with you there. I guess if you want news you can use, you have to come to the Café!

Seriously, thanks again Laurie.
Thanks for your comments, David, Alan. And you're very welcome. :) Mail's on the move again here, but there might still be some backlog.

Laurie
I still did not get mine.
[quote]
On 2011-06-23 17:28, leaycraft wrote:
I placed an oder this year from Roy and the following happened;

A: I received an email with the cost
B: I received an email accepting the order
C: I had an estimated time- not exact but a reasonable guess
D: I received an emial when I thought it would be don and was told it was complete, verified a detail
E: Email notification of shipment
F: arrival

Everything was as described, exactly what I ordered and the craftmanship was equal to anything else I have from the the two other major gaff makers.
[/quote]

That was my experience the first time I ordered an unexpanded set from him. Because I was so satisfied with the first order, nine months later or so, I ordered another set from Roy, (same type of set - different coins). It was many months and a lot of extra effort and expense on my part before I received a sub-par product from a very rude and reluctant Mr. Kueppers. Hearing accounts from others, I've noticed when things are good with Roy, they're great. When something goes wrong, (usually due to something minor on his part that could've originally been resolved quickly and easily), he tends to either not follow-through on promises or flat-out refuses to take responsibility or action - ignoring all attempts at contact and rarely delivering a quality product after any issues have occurred. This has been my experience and the numbers of accounts of similar experiences I'm hearing from his other customers continues to grow. The bad experiences with Roy have now far outweighed the good one I had with him and I have learned an expensive lesson about trusting this man or expecting professionalism from him. Nevertheless, I've kept silent on this thread up to this point...watching and waiting and not wanting to stir any waters or make any statements if my experiences were just very, very bad but still unusual or unlikely. But as I watch some come to his defense as no one seems to notice or mention the fact that DynaMike's April order continues to go unfilled and his communications go either unanswered or answered with promises unfulfilled, I'm compelled to toss my two cents in as a public service to anyone considering doing business with Roy Kueppers.

I'm learning that it's a coin toss as to whether you get good products and/or service from Mr. Kueppers - more so than with any other well-known coin gaff craftsman in operation today. Apparently, bad experiences with Roy Kueppers are not the exception, but are an equal part of the rule. So...buyer beware: To be fair, Roy Kueppers is capable of excellent workmanship and fairly decent customer service, (I've seen and experienced it); but there is a gamble in dealing with him and it seems your odds are just as good at getting sub-par merchandise, extremely slow, (or non-existent), service and even the possibility of extremely unprofessional responses to expectations that you simply, eventually, receive nothing more than what you ordered and paid for.
[quote]
On 2011-08-18 00:37, Bendy wrote:
[quote]
DynaMike's April order continues to go unfilled and his communications go either unanswered ... [/quote]
Same here.
Wow. I hope Roy (or someone who knows Roy) is reading this and these issues are taken care of.
I agree 100% and will never order anything from him after a similar experience.
[quote]
On 2011-08-18 22:00, BanzaiMagic wrote:
Wow. I hope Roy (or someone who knows Roy) is reading this and these issues are taken care of.
[/quote]
I have strong confidence he knows about this thread.
Dynamike I don't know whats up with your order. I have ordered three coin sets from him this year and one set today.some orders have took longer than others. he has been busy with shop work and conventions. I always call him to place and discuss my order with him. quality has always been excellent.i hope you get yours soon.
[quote]
On 2011-08-23 00:21, Dynamike wrote:
[quote]
On 2011-08-18 22:00, BanzaiMagic wrote:
[/quote]
I have strong confidence he knows about this thread.
[/quote]
Go back to the first page and read his post on this thread.

Aside from that, unlike many other custom coin makers, Roy deals with many different aspects of the market, making items for dealers to carry/sell, making props for the effects of many performers and their signature products, custom orders for everybody else, on top of going to conventions to meet and greet, having to travel quite a distance to gather the needed materials for his work and things like that. Putting in 14 hours a day, sometimes for all 7 days of the week, is not easy. Sometimes he has to look hard for certain things that are requested by people, and that can take time too. Once any raw materials are gathered (especially coins), they all have to be measured and sorted. All that leaves little to no time to reply to every single e-mail that he receives, which is why phone calls are much better. He also does not have any assistants and does it all by himself. Everyone needs to realize that once something leaves his shop through the mail or shipping company (such as UPS or FedEx), he has no control over it. No dealer in this industry does. If the shipping company screws up, that is their fault.

I hope this answers some questions people may be asking themselves about Roy.
Hey Doc... Your post is almost a copy of the last post you made right after a post by Dynamike. I think that all or most understand that Roy is a busy man and usually considered very trustworthy. However Dynamike's order was placed in April of this year - almost five months ago - and he claims that after repeated communications he finally asked for a refund if the last promised date was missed. Sorry but the "busy, busy, busy" excuse just doesn’t cut it in this case. Roy should ship the order or refund the purchase immediately to repair his reputation. If this was someone posting that we don’t know it might be overstated, but Dynamike is pretty well-known. I don’t think he is exaggerating his claim.

Jim
Jim, I agree with your entire post, and I thank you for pointing out the similarity. I posted this, perhaps un-necessarily, to merely re-iterate what was said in the other, similar post - especially for those readers that would just as soon skip over the first page.

There is no intent to make excuses for him in any way, nor would I for any other supplier in this industry, but it is what it is. Things do happen, including miscommunication, misinterpretation and poor customer relations, but if things were really as bad as some people make them sound, he would not be in business today. Nor would some of the other suppliers that have given customers the same issues. Hopefully, it is a live and learn way of life.
I ordered a wand case 2/11/11. After months or no responses to my emails/calls,it finally arrived 8/26/11, with the postmark 3/5/11. Sometimes I forget that customs also has a huge role in delays.
I finally received my order today. I can understand Roy being a busy man. But it is best for a good business person to be honest. If Roy would have told me from the start he is busy and it might be a few months to complete my order, I would have been more relaxed. But each repeat phone calls I gave him, he mentioned he would send out my order the end of the week, which he did not do. That is what made me frustrated. One of the times I told him if my order is not shipped by the end of the week, I want a refund.

Since he is so busy, why doesn't he get any help? That will help please his customers. It seems like after he receives his customers money, he has no concern when his customers receive what they pay for.

Since some orders took longer because of customs, it seems better to place an order with a manufacture within the country you are in.

Doc, I understand you taking over for Roy to support him. But why not try to support us by speaking to Roy about those who never received their order?
[quote]
Doc, I understand you taking over for Roy to support him. But why not try to support us by speaking to Roy about those who never received their order?
[/quote]
I appreciate that, and I would like to take the opportunity to say that I do, in fact, relate the issues that I see on here to him. It gets hard to be specific for him because I do not have names or other pertinent information about the customers in order to do so. I am going to try and see if he is willing to work out a way with me to help prevent things like the issues stated in this thread from happening, as much as possible. There are many different avenues to go with that idea, and it may take some time to work out details, but Roy really does care about things like this and he appreciates anyone telling him. He does feel bad when these things happen, and it does upset him too - especially when it is something beyond his control, such as the shipping company and their issues/problems, or customs.

NOW, what I would like from anyone here is suggestions on how they would like something to be handled, other than what has already been stated or getting refunds? What ideas can you give me to pass on that would help customers feel better informed? Would you be okay with talking to a middle man, so to speak, in order to get information? Of course, timing and promptness is an issue and that should be observed and respected.

All suggestions/comments are welcome, and feel free to PM me with any of those if you do not feel it should be posted openly. Thank you.

Dynamike: I am glad to hear that you got your order, even though it took this long!
I think most people would like to know, up front, what the turnaround will be. Unfortunately, in magic props, as in home remodeling, time frames are too often left fuzzy. The reason for this is many people would not order if they are given a long wait time, which, of course, is bad for business. The manufacturer wants/needs people to order, and will often leave turnaround dates fuzzy. There were times I was pretty unhappy with our kitchen remodeler. I ended up with a good product, but a bit of a sour taste in my mouth. Sounds like the experience of some here on this topic.

People who send money are perfectly within their right to ask for a reasonably accurate turnaround time.

As long as business (income) remains good, a manufacturer will do what is necessary to optimize clients and money. Only when being overdue with their services begins to cost $$$, things will change.
[quote]
On 2011-09-07 00:13, Dr_J_Ayala wrote:
NOW, what I would like from anyone here is suggestions on how they would like something to be handled, other than what has already been stated or getting refunds? What ideas can you give me to pass on that would help customers feel better informed?
[/quote]
I have a few suggestions that can help:

1. Roy mentioning to his prospects (before they become a paid customer) orders can take longer because of the out of country postage and Canada's customs.

2. Roy being honest with his prospects and customers about when he will have their order finished.

3. Roy issuing a discount to a customer if the order is not finished more than 30 days after the deadline he provides to his customers.

4. Roy emailing/calling a customer if he finds out he is going to be late (30 days or more) with an order.

5. Roy hiring a secretary to keep his customers updated if an order is going to be late if he has little time to do it himself.

6. Roy hiring and training a machinist to help keep his customer's orders up to date.

7. Roy mailing back the items to those who orders he never finished. (Doc, I will be more specific about a certain member I am talking about by sending you a PM. The member contacted me by sending me a PM).

I know how those feel that were treated unfairly because it has happened to me too. Doc, I surely hope you can help Roy with his business. If he is a professional business person, he will listen to you about those who are complaining. I want to see everyone with smiles on their faces.
I received a coin today from roy k. that I had him make for me. ike on 1 side and a copper artifact on the other side.i wanted something different. all I can say is ''wow'' I love it.
Dynamike - I am very happy that you finally received your order. - John Luka
Thank you John. I will show you my coins at the 15th Annual Motor City Close-Up Convention November 4-5 2011 held at the Knights Of Columbus Hall located at 24900 Brest Rd., Taylor, MI 48180. I understand David Roth is one of the magicians giving a lecture and having a workshop at the convention this year.
So is it even worth ordering from Mr Keupers? I don't want to spend my hard earned money if I will never get my coin gaffs...I've been trying to choose someone to purchase my coin gaffs from, but I am not sure...I emailed Lassen, never got a response...I emailed Schoolcraft, didn't get a response...I don't know what to do!
[quote]
On 2011-09-21 20:35, Trooper11040 wrote:
So is it even worth ordering from Mr Keupers? I don't want to spend my hard earned money if I will never get my coin gaffs...I've been trying to choose someone to purchase my coin gaffs from, but I am not sure...I emailed Lassen, never got a response...I emailed Schoolcraft, didn't get a response...I don't know what to do!
[/quote]

Patience is a necessity when dealing with our gaffers. They all get busy, and it does depend on what you want. If you want something that they already have laying around, the turnaround time is bound to be much quicker. If they are currently working on the item you want to buy - (For Lassen, I read that he is currently working on very high quality slippery sam dollars) - you have a good chance to get them fairly quick. If you want something unusual or that will take time to set up - well, it could take quite a bit longer, perhaps years for him to get back to an item he is known for. For example, there was a long (multi-year) gap where Lassen was not making any Cerberus sets. Now, I think he is finishing up on his last run for a while and it could be years before he gets back to it - but if the past is any guide, there will be significant improvements when he does.

The following advice has been given repeatedly by a bunch of Lassen's customers here on the Café: Call him! I can attest that he is honest, fairly prices his work and stands by his creations - which are first rate. We live in a great age with amazing new gaffs being created every year. Just remember that all of these guys are one man shops and they will remember you if you act like a jerk. If you want a more mass produced option - you could go to Tango, Johnson or Mark Mason/Bob Swadling - all quality makers of gaffs with good turnaround times. And with regard to Tango, no one else makes a TUC.

Regards,

Alan
Trooper
I have had no problem ordering from mr kuepper myself. he has made me 3 sets of coins this year.and is in the process of making me a set right now.i always call him and go over what I want from him.waiting time usally runs 1 to 2 months for order to ship.i have been very pleased with his work and his price.
My experience with Roy is 100% positive.
Nice coins and great service.
Ok I think price wise, I am going to try Mr. Keupper. If the quality is the same as the other 2 gaffers, I'll give it a shot...All I want is a walking liberty gravity flipper and a shell...I am not looking for anything to crazy...
[quote]
On 2011-09-22 15:54, Trooper11040 wrote:
Ok I think price wise, I am going to try Mr. Keupper. If the quality is the same as the other 2 gaffers, I'll give it a shot...All I want is a walking liberty gravity flipper and a shell...I am not looking for anything to crazy...
[/quote]
If that is all you are looking for, you might want to talk to Mark Mason. He has the Next Generation Flipper in Walking Liberty in stock for $125 (you will almost never have to replace the band - and if you do, it is easy - I watched Mark do it). I believe he also has the M******c shell that goes with it in stock. See here: http://www.jbtvusa.com/p0/JB-COIN-LINE/76.htm

His phone number is on his site and he has always answered my call or quickly returned my call (if he is not on tour).

Regards,

Alan

Regards,

Alan
Is his quality as good as the rest?
His quality is excellent also. and like banzaimagic said the band hardly ever needs changing.and if you ever have to you can do it in about 2 minutes.
Ok maybe I'll go that route...the coins I'm needing I'd rather have quickly then wait months for...thanks for the link!
Just ordered my first gaff from roy (an ellusionist artifact coin exp [ ) communication was perfect!
One more question in reference to the mark mason coins...is the flipper quiet?
Yes trooper it is quiet.
[quote]
On 2011-09-24 18:36, bowers wrote:
Yes trooper it is quiet.
[/quote]
Thank you!
Keep all of your orders up to date with us.
I ordered a set of artifact coins with an expanded shell and a pro flipper, around the 5th or 6th of this month. Before I placed the order, he said it would take about 2 weeks before it was shipped. It's going on four, and they haven't been shipped. I do agree with Dynamike, It would be nice to get a better estimate. If I knew they were going to take longer I still would have ordered them, but now expectations weren't met and it makes me anxious. All of my E-mails were answered with in 24 hours before the order was placed. Now, I wait a week or more with no response and have to send it again before I get a reply. On the other side, however, he was very helpful and friendly when he was helping be decide on what I wanted, and answering all of my questions. Hopefully the wait will be over soon and the coins will be great!

And just to clarify, I have no "beef" with Mr. Roy. Other than a few missed e-mails, he's been great to work with, despite me annoying him with all of my picky questions!
As far as missing those e-mails, I'm sure he gets a lot of them and that it would be easy to miss one. I can't imagine being as busy as he is!
I special ordered a slippery sam with 3 shaved inserts in Eisenhower dollars from Roy to use for "Ultimate 3 Fly". I'll let you know when I receive them!

Rick
[quote]
On 2011-09-28 13:40, Herr Brian Tabor wrote:
Before I placed the order, he said it would take about 2 weeks before it was shipped. It's going on four, and they haven't been shipped. I do agree with Dynamike, It would be nice to get a better estimate. If I knew they were going to take longer I still would have ordered them, but now expectations weren't met and it makes me anxious. All of my E-mails were answered with in 24 hours before the order was placed. Now, I wait a week or more with no response and have to send it again before I get a reply.
[/quote]
I think we should all start considering our custom gaff makers as "artists" rather than businessmen. On another thread, someone was asking about "brands" - as in, whether the Schoolcraft, Lassen or Kueppers brand is better. I don't think "brand" is the right way to think about these guys. With the exception of Tango and Johnson (and perhaps Mark Mason), most of our best gaff makers are one-man outfits who care more about the quality of the gaffs they produce than how quick they can do it. They don't have gofers, facilitators or people to run interference for them, like the bigger outfits do. I basically judge by 1) quality 2) honesty 3) sincere effort to communicate (in that order). Everything else just doesn't matter to me.

So far, I haven't read anything on this thread to make me think badly of Roy - he is apparently just really busy. In my opinion, if he misplaces an email or takes a while to respond and you have to send a second (or third) email to him, that's no biggie compared to, say, if he were to send out cruddy work and wasn't willing to make it right or otherwise acted dishonestly.

Just my opinion.

Alan
Alan, I understand your sentiment, however once an "artist" starts conducting business he must act as a businessman whether he likes it or not! If you're a one-man operation then only take on an amount of work that a one-man operation can handle. Sorry but that's a requirement if you want to conduct business. Otherwise people will start to call you something else entirely.

Thanks!

Jim
Things don't/won't change until the "bottom line" is affected. The best usually never have to worry about this, however. On the other hand, it seems that many know what to expect going in when they order a coin gaff, so there should be no real surprises.
I have to say I can relate to people feeling a little frustrated by the delivery times. I've made one purchase from Roy, so here's my story: (It ends happily, for the record)

I contacted Roy about having a wooden magic wand made last Christmas, we very quickly got through the spec (Roy was particularly helpful with suggestions, etc.) and I sent through payment sometime around the end of December last year. Over the next 5-6 months we had some back and forth, and there was an issue similar to the one Dynamike mentioned whereby I was several times told that it would be sent "this week" and it turned out not to be. When I did receive the wand I was initially pretty annoyed - I'd ordered a 2 piece wand and the one that came was only a single piece. I was just about to write back to him, and was twirling the wand between my fingers when my wife asked me what the problem was. I explained I had wanted a 2 piece wand, which would unscrew "like this... Oh!".

Turns out the join in the wood was so good that I couldn't see or feel it, and it was indeed the 2 piece wand I'd asked for. Morale of the story (At least for me), you might have to wait a while but *** he's a good craftsman!

I certainly agree to some extent with J-Mac - My background is in business rather than craft, and as a consequence I tend to value things like customer service and timeliness. Whilst I am ultimately very happy with my purchase, and I would go back to Roy and reccommend his products to others, I would say you have to expect people to call you out on it if you don't deliver in a timely fashion. I noticed earlier in the thread someone saying that asking 'Is Roy OK?' sent off the wrong message, but I'm afraid that if you don't want that kind of thing posted on the internet you really need to give great customer service. Note that this isn't aimed at Roy, as I know it wasn't him that mentioned it.

~ Pete.
[quote]
On 2011-10-21 09:03, PetePennekett wrote:
I was initially pretty annoyed - I'd ordered a 2 piece wand and the one that came was only a single piece. I was just about to write back to him, and was twirling the wand between my fingers when my wife asked me what the problem was. I explained I had wanted a 2 piece wand, which would unscrew "like this... Oh!".

Turns out the join in the wood was so good that I couldn't see or feel it, and it was indeed the 2 piece wand I'd asked for. Morale of the story (At least for me), you might have to wait a while but *** he's a good craftsman!
[/quote]

I think the great thing about this thread is that it gives us advance warning about what to expect when buying from Roy. For me, quality is paramount, not how quick I get it. Pete's experience is all I need to know about Roy. He's apparently a "pleaser", and he gives unrealistic (hopeful?) estimates to try to satisfy his customers. If he had a facilitator who had a more realistic understanding of how long he is going to take, or could send out emails when he gets really busy and has to put his custom work aside for a few weeks, then there wouldn't be as much of a problem. Alas, that would also increase the price.

I see your point, J-Mac, but so long as you are forewarned (by these threads) there shouldn't be a problem in ordering from Roy (or Schoolcraft, or Lassen, for that matter).

Regards,

Alan
Always remember great thngs take time.
Oh gawd, when will it stop already. Order...Delayed...Delivered.
another episode in gaff coin drama. yes, I have ordered from Roy and will plan to continue to do so. He is no freaking Waldo or Carmen Sandiego - jeez.
I ordered and paid for a set of coins to be made. This was during the first week of August.
It's now 3 months. Several emails I sent went unanswered and then out of the blue I get a message saying that he's working on my coins and thanks for my patience. It's now almost a month since that email and no coins or further communication. Hopefully my coins will arrive soon.

Jeff
I ordered 2 coins last week, got an email the same day saying thanks and that they have been sent!

That is service if you ask me.
Were these custom made boydy
I called him last week twice and no answer so he is probably really busy.
I finally heard from Roy and he was quite apologetic that he'd run into a problem with my custom coin set and needed to acquire new coins. Because the coins were rare it took him longer than expected. I feel much better now that I've heard back from him and am looking forward to receiving my custom coin set. Thanks for taking the time to let me know.
I just ordered a new c/s from Roy last week...hoping it doesn't get delayed in the mail...walking liberty/English penny...he's very friendly to deal with though!
That guy needs help if wants to keep all his customers pleased.
I received my C/S today in walking liberty/English penny today from Roy...quick shipping!! Very very nice quality!!
[quote]
On 2011-11-20 23:10, Dynamike wrote:
That guy needs help if wants to keep all his customers pleased.
[/quote]

Well Dynamike, it's like they say, you can't please everyone no matter how hard you try. Outside help will cost extra, adding to the overhead, which will drive prices up, and push other buyers away! Then the hired help has to be able to do the job without making mistakes. Given that all of that gets solved you STILL will have problems with the mail, customs, and manufacturing foul-ups. There can be many reasons why orders get delayed; lost paperwork, machinery malfunctions, family problems...anybody can have a bad day, or even several. Remember, people like these do not mass produce their products; they are craftsmen, and as such will not always do everything perfect. I will take it under advisement that if I order from any of them, to be aware that I might have to wait awhile.

In this forum I've read negative posts about Lassen, Schoolcraft, and now Krueppers. There's always Sasco, Tango, and Johnson. I hear that they ship pretty fast!

Sir Richard.
You are so right sir richard. good things take time. rome was not built in a day.
todd
This thread is pointless now.
[quote]
On 2011-11-21 17:16, Sir Richard wrote:

Well Dynamike, it's like they say, you can't please everyone no matter how hard you try. Outside help will cost extra, adding to the overhead, which will drive prices up, and push other buyers away! Then the hired help has to be able to do the job without making mistakes. Given that all of that gets solved you STILL will have problems with the mail, customs, and manufacturing foul-ups. There can be many reasons why orders get delayed; lost paperwork, machinery malfunctions, family problems...anybody can have a bad day, or even several. Remember, people like these do not mass produce their products; they are craftsmen, and as such will not always do everything perfect. I will take it under advisement that if I order from any of them, to be aware that I might have to wait awhile.

In this forum I've read negative posts about Lassen, Schoolcraft, and now Krueppers. There's always Sasco, Tango, and Johnson. I hear that they ship pretty fast!

Sir Richard.
[/quote]
To put it really short, "You should be honest to your customers." Don't forget about the boy who cried wolf. If you would review this thread you will really notice the problem comes from Roy telling his customers the product will be ready next week, but takes months to arrive. Customers on this thread claim it happen before and after the mail carrier strike. If he would have been honest with his customers this thread would have never got started. No one is complaining they were misguided like that from Schoolcraft and Lassen.

It deals the same with our customers. If you and your customer (A) set up a time for you to arrive to start your show at 5pm. You are about to start someone else's show at 5pm. You call customer (A) at 4:55 telling you will arrive in five minutes. You arrive to customer's (A) show at 6:30 instead. If your timing was like that in your neighborhood I am sure you will get bad publicity no matter how great your performance is.

Richard, if you received yours on time, good for you. Good for others too who received theirs on time. If he was a couple weeks behind in timing, I see no need to complain. I can understand that those who received their items multiple weeks behind schedule after hearing from Roy, "It will be sent this week" bringing it up in open forum. For now on I will order from Schoolcraft and Lassen no matter how higher their fees are because I rather order from someone I can trust.

Notice I never made any negative comments about Roy Krueppers' quality. If I thought it was bad, believe me I would have spoken up. The real complaint is his false timing, not quality or prices.

If Roy is a good manufacture or friend to you Richard, try to help him and advise him to be honest dealing with when he ships his customers' orders. If he listens to you, and starts to be honest, everyone will be happy. If you choose to stand up and defend him instead, I can see a lot more complaints coming in from his customers leaving him with less business.

If Roy gets professional help with his orders so they will be completed by the time he mentions, I see no problem.

Todd, I agree "Good things take time." Well why did Roy tell me it will be sent out "this week" at the start and after I called him each month to check on my order? Why couldn't Roy have told me it would be ready in a few months from the beginning?
[quote]
On 2011-11-22 04:36, Dynamike wrote:
[quote]
On 2011-11-21 17:16, Sir Richard wrote:

Sir Richard.
[/quote]
To put it really short, "You should be honest to your customers." Don't forget about the boy who cried wolf. If you would review this thread you will really notice the problem comes from Roy telling his customers the product will be ready next week, but takes months to arrive. Customers on this thread claim it happen before and after the mail carrier strike. If he would have been honest with his customers this thread would have never got started. No one is complaining they were misguided like that from Schoolcraft and Lassen.

It deals the same with our customers. If you and your customer (A) set up a time for you to arrive to start your show at 5pm. You are about to start someone else's show at 5pm. You call customer (A) at 4:55 telling you will arrive in five minutes. You arrive to customer's (A) show at 6:30 instead. If your timing was like that in your neighborhood I am sure you will get bad publicity no matter how great your performance is.

Richard, if you received yours on time, good for you. Good for others too who received theirs on time. If he was a couple weeks behind in timing, I see no need to complain. I can understand that those who received their items multiple weeks behind schedule after hearing from Roy, "It will be sent this week" bringing it up in open forum. For now on I will order from Schoolcraft and Lassen no matter how higher their fees are because I rather order from someone I can trust.

Notice I never made any negative comments about Roy Krueppers' quality. If I thought it was bad, believe me I would have spoken up. The real complaint is his false timing, not quality or prices.

If Roy is a good manufacture or friend to you Richard, try to help him and advise him to be honest dealing with when he ships his customers' orders. If he listens to you, and starts to be honest, everyone will be happy. If you choose to stand up and defend him instead, I can see a lot more complaints coming in from his customers leaving him with less business.

If Roy gets professional help with his orders so they will be completed by the time he mentions, I see no problem.

Todd, I agree "Good things take time." Well why did Roy tell me it will be sent out "this week" at the start and after I called him each month to check on my order? Why couldn't Roy have told me it would be ready in a few months from the beginning?
[/quote]
How much more would the sets cost if Roy added the professional help? I have never bought custom sets from anyone because I see no use for them and use "common" coin sets. If I decided that I wanted vintage coins custom made for me I still wouldn't do it because IMO the cost is not justified. If they were even more expensive that would shoot them way out of the ballpark. A good example of keeping the production cost down is this; Todd Lassen's wife used to help him in shipping out orders but according to his website she has taken a job 30 miles away so he's doing all of the shipping himself. Good help cost money and that cost has to be accounted for in order to maintain profits and stay in business. My point is that it's easy to be critical of others when we're not the ones involved in what's going on. You pays your money and you takes your chances. People make mistakes and are only human. Then there's always "let the buyer beware." Not trying to be offensive here, just understanding of my magician brothers and the problems they might face.

Sir Richard.
[quote]
On 2011-11-22 04:36, Dynamike wrote:
Why couldn't Roy have told me it would be ready in a few months from the beginning?
[/quote]

Because in sales, that would be the kiss of death.
So are you saying it is best what Roy did by saying it will be sent out the end of the week? C'mon man you gotta be kidding me. The kiss of death is really being unhonest with your customers so they will not come back to you, and begin to bad mouth you.

If he would have told the truth about a few months I would have still accepted it if it was average to all custom coin makers.
Mike, don't put words in my mouth accidentally :)

I never said "best" (or "right" or "moral" or "ethical" etc...). I am only saying what (in sales) *is*.
[quote]
On 2011-11-22 14:05, Dynamike wrote:
So are you saying it is best what Roy did by saying it will be sent out the end of the week? C'mon man you gotta be kidding me. The kiss of death is really being unhonest with your customers so they will not come back to you, and begin to bad mouth you.

If he would have told the truth about a few months I would have still accepted it if it was average to all custom coin makers.
[/quote]
Every quality gaff coin manufacturer does this. I recall my experience with Roy was better than my two purchases from Jamie in this regard, but I was happy with the quality of both men's products. I carry Roy's Okito box in my jacket pocket all the time, though I don't use it as an Okito.
[quote]
On 2011-11-22 16:07, caubeck wrote:
[quote]
On 2011-11-22 14:05, Dynamike wrote:

[/quote]
Every quality gaff coin manufacturer does this. I recall my experience with Roy was better than my two purchases from Jamie in this regard, but I was happy with the quality of both men's products. I carry Roy's Okito box in my jacket pocket all the time, though I don't use it as an Okito.
[/quote]
Estimation of how long things take is a problem with any quality custom builder of one time items, whether artwork, writing songs, writing books, or making high-quality gaffs. Only common, mass produced items can be made on a schedule. Give them all a break, guys!
Is there a word for beyond Ad Nauseam for this very enlightening discussion? It's good to know there are still people that can cast the first stone.
[quote]
On 2011-10-20 18:52, Rick11 wrote:
I special ordered a slippery sam with 3 shaved inserts in Eisenhower dollars from Roy to use for "Ultimate 3 Fly". I'll let you know when I receive them!

Rick

I received an email today from Roy. It is being shipped thru Paypal shipping and should arrive in 4-6 business days. The order was placed on Oct 13th. If the coins arrive on schedule, I will be very satisfied.

Rick
Roy emailed me today.
my custom made coin sets
are on the way.
todd
He's very good...the quality of my copper silver coin is perfect! The shipping was very very quick!
[quote]
On 2011-11-12 02:42, Jeff Christensen wrote:
I finally heard from Roy and he was quite apologetic that he'd run into a problem with my custom coin set and needed to acquire new coins. Because the coins were rare it took him longer than expected. I feel much better now that I've heard back from him and am looking forward to receiving my custom coin set. Thanks for taking the time to let me know.
[/quote]
I finally received my coins and it was well worth the wait...stunning! My only complaint is in terms of the communication which could have been better. I will likely order from Roy again but will do so knowing that it will probably take some time. My special order took 4 months and 2 weeks.

jeff
[quote]
On 2011-11-22 22:05, BanzaiMagic wrote:
Estimation of how long things take is a problem with any quality custom builder of one time items, whether artwork, writing songs, writing books, or making high-quality gaffs. Only common, mass produced items can be made on a schedule. Give them all a break, guys!
[/quote]
No offense, but you still don't get it do you? We are not talking about all the custom coin makers. The bulk of complaints are geared toward Roy only not the other custom coin makers. That is why this thread was started. If there was a thread concerning other coin makers in this forum, then I would say they must have a problem too. Let's just picture it takes the same amount of time for each one to make a certain custom coin. If Todd reports his will be ready in four months, and it arrives in about four months, that's cool. Now if Roy reports it will be ready in one week, and it takes about four months, Roy was not being honest. That is what this thread is mostly about. It is not about his quality. It is not about the best priced. It is not about who makes the best. It is simply about about the big difference in time he mentions he will ship the coins.

If it was only one or two people bringing this subject up dealing with Roy's timing, that would not be strong. There have been three magic shops listed with a lot of complaints from many members in different forums. That is how they got their bad name. I have read a couple of complaints from other magic shops. But that does not make it strong enough.

I got several complaints from my customers about a clown I subcontracted with was arriving really late to the gig I got her. Now I no longer use that clown anymore. Years ago there was a magician who would show up at kids parties with alcohol on his breath. I am sure he got a lot of complaints too. Other magicians in my area where not showing up like that.

To wind it up, all Roy would have to do is tell ALL his customers the truth by mentioning the time he will ship the order with closer accuracy. Next, he will not get so many complaints on this topic. Of course it is simply his choice. It is simply his customers choice if they choose to bring it up or not.
And I will still order from Roy knowing this. So this is my choice. Not a problem for me that requires the attention and elevation of awareness that you place.
Makin' some good points, Mike.

If I was Roy (or Todd, or Jamie) I would be here posting on the Café all the time. What a great way to stay in touch with customers!

Just a thought...
"Roy, would you...?"

"Todd, could you...?"

"Jaime, why can't you...?"

"Hey, Roy/Todd/Jaime, why didn't you answer the poster's question...???"

My guess is they probably don't post here for good reasons! :)
[quote]
On 2011-11-29 23:42, billappleton wrote:
If I was Roy (or Todd, or Jamie) I would be here posting on the Café all the time. What a great way to stay in touch with customers!

Just a thought...
[/quote]
Roy does have a post on the first page of this thread. His member name is mysta-magic.
[quote]
On 2011-11-29 22:32, Dynamike wrote:
[quote]
On 2011-11-22 22:05, BanzaiMagic wrote:
[/quote]
No offense, but you still don't get it do you? ... if Roy reports it will be ready in one week, and it takes about four months, Roy was not being honest. That is what this thread is mostly about. It is not about his quality. It is not about the best priced. It is not about who makes the best. It is simply about about the big difference in time he mentions he will ship the coins.
[/quote]
No offense taken. I actually agree with you about the value of this thread in warning Café members of Roy's problems in estimating time of completion. As I wrote in an earlier post:
[quote]
I think the great thing about this thread is that it gives us advance warning about what to expect when buying from Roy. For me, quality is paramount, not how quick I get it. Pete's experience is all I need to know about Roy. He's apparently a "pleaser", and he gives unrealistic (hopeful?) estimates to try to satisfy his customers. If he had a facilitator who had a more realistic understanding of how long he is going to take, or could send out emails when he gets really busy and has to put his custom work aside for a few weeks, then there wouldn't be as much of a problem. Alas, that would also increase the price.

I see your point, J-Mac, but so long as you are forewarned (by these threads) there shouldn't be a problem in ordering from Roy (or Schoolcraft, or Lassen, for that matter).
[/quote]
My point is these guys are not Wall Mart - there is no complaint department. When you are criticizing their business, they are likely taking it a lot more personally than you realize. As Todd wrote on his blog the other day, verbal "hugs and gentle reminders are welcome" - but nasty comments about his business practices are generally not well received. Unfortunately, some of the critical comments here on the Café have tended to be far sharper than perhaps is necessary or productive. For example, comparing Roy's delays to a performer showing up drunk to a kid's birthday party. That's kind of harsh.

Alan
[quote]
On 2011-11-30 04:10, BanzaiMagic wrote:
For example, comparing Roy's delays to a performer showing up drunk to a kid's birthday party. That's kind of harsh.
[/quote]
Don't get me wrong. I was not saying they had the same value. There are examples that are less stronger and more stronger. I just wanted to a realistic example I thought of quickly referring to how our customers would look at us, not meaning them as the same value.
Let's find out where he lives and do a "Occupy Roy" for more truthful turnaround times for his products.
Received my custom made dollar sun and moon set and a reverse dollar moon and sun set today. These are sweet! Excellent craftsmanship. It took about 10 weeks well worth it.
todd
One of the things that has frustrated me is I see people on here who ordered and got their coins, and I'm still waiting. Mine have been ordered in September and I just now got an e-mail saying they have been sent, even though other people have ordered and got their order while I'm still waiting. My experience has been that of dynamikes, I was told at the beginning it would take two weeks, and after that every week I got an e-mail saying they would be done that week, but next week it was the same. Hopefully, they are in the mail now like he said, and they are good quality. If the coins are good, I'm still happy. The only thing I would like to see change in Roy's service is a more accurate time estimate. If I had been told it may be a few months, I wouldn't have any problems at all. It's just I was told they would be shipped 2 weeks after order, and it's been 14 weeks. That's 7x longer than what I was told. I also feel like I've been forgotten sever times, given that later orders were filled for other people, so it's not a matter of "he's just busy".
There are a bunch of folks posting to this thread who should never buy custom coins.
Stick with Tango, Johnson, etc.

Face it, you're just not "custom coin" material.

If you were, you'd let the craftsman do his job in the time it takes him to finish it, whatever that might be.
That some folks can't wait without complaining reveals more about "the waiter" than it does the custom coin maker.

I waited 8 months for some of Todd's coins, with only the promise that they were "on the job wheel". No problem, and glad to get them when they were done.

That's what "custom" means...they're not sitting on a shelf waiting to ship.
[quote]
On 2011-11-25 19:13, Rick11 wrote:
[quote]
On 2011-10-20 18:52, Rick11 wrote:

Rick

I received an email today from Roy. It is being shipped thru Paypal shipping and should arrive in 4-6 business days. The order was placed on Oct 13th. If the coins arrive on schedule, I will be very satisfied.

Rick

My Eisenhower coin set arrived today and they are perfect! Roy has answered every email promptly and the special order took less than 2 months. Great service, Thanks Roy!

Rick
[quote]
On 2011-12-06 19:39, silverking wrote:
There are a bunch of folks posting to this thread who should never buy custom coins.
[/quote]
Let me correct that for you. "There are a bunch of folks posting to this thread who should never buy custom coins from Roy Kueppers because he has not been honest". Next time I will order custom coins from Schoolcraft or Lassen because there are no complaints on the review board about them.
[quote] I waited 8 months for some of Todd's coins, with only the promise that they were "on the job wheel". No problem, and glad to get them when they were done. [/quote]
If Todd told me 9 months, and it took 9 months no problem. Roy told me next week, and it took 4 months. Do you see a difference Silverking?
This is better than what I hear at the DMV...well as far as for broken record style discussions go. And there isn't even a language barrier on this one.
:lol: Yea I understand. The reason is because when new viewers enter this thread they do not read all the post. I have to explain it again and again.
So you have to wait?...so what?

You're really only continuing to whine about the same thing over, and over, and over, and over, and over again.
It was tiresome to read a month ago, and it's tiresome to read now.

You'd be best to buy coins off-the-shelf for that "instant satisfaction" vibe.

I hate to disillusion you, but when you order from ANY custom coin maker, you're going to wait longer than you either want, or were told you would have to wait.
Custom coin makers are ONE guy at a lathe turning coins, and that "one guy" doesn't have any magic dust that makes the real-world and his real-life move over so Dynamike can get his coins faster.

Maybe the coin-maker gets sick, somebody close to him gets sick, somebody dies, he gets in a car accident, his lathe breaks and he has to wait for parts from Germany, he breaks a bone in his finger and can't turn, he sprains his finger and can't turn, he takes some unscheduled time off because he's desperate for some time off...like I said, that's why it's called "custom"...don't want to accommodate these kinds of delays, then DON'T order custom coins.

To the statement that Roy told you "next week"?...big deal, you got your coins, and had to wait a bit longer than you thought you'd have to wait.
It sounds like exactly what it is...guy with limited patience, ordering a product that requires patience, and complaining endlessly about the fact that he ordered a product requiring patience, when he has absolutely no patience.

Most one-off custom makers are guilty of underestimating the time it will take for actual shipment to their customer...does that bother you?
If it does, DON'T buy custom.

Order off-the-shelf... some guys just aren't cut out for custom made coins.
May I suggest Dynamike that Soup to Nuts on this forum is the perfect venue and subject header for you to express your disappointment.
You might have a larger audience to evangelize the highly sinful dishonest behavior of Independent Craftsman Roy Kuepper's Bait and Switch tactics regarding his turnaround time.
A move over there would be a great thing I think.
Below is the exact description for the forum Soup to Nuts:

The forum description says it all:

What do you look for when shopping for magic?
What criteria do you use when deciding which dealer receives your hard earned cash, and why some may never hear from you again?
This forum is NOT to discuss specific dealers, but rather the things they do that make you glad, or make you mad. Voice your ideas and thoughts here
@ silverking. I can see you are getting just as much heated up about reading my post on this thread. The best advice I can give you is don't read my post. I am just expressing my feelings of how Roy did me wrong. There is no need for you to get angry over it. Me buying custom made coins is my prerogative. It has nothing to do with you. You getting mad about re-reading my post is your prerogative.

@ rklew64. Thanks man, but I feel no need to let it out of this thread. I am not trying to put Roy out of business. There are some members who did not have to wait as long as I did. And there is not enough members mentioning they were unsatisfied with his work.
Wow! Not sure whether to laugh or just shake my head at this thread. It's interesting enough that the complainers are still posting about their same old complaints, but more surprising that those complaining about the complainers feel the need to stop in and throw their stuff around! Who really cares? Apparently Roy doesn’t feel offended enough to post defending his business; he lets his reputation speak for itself. Might be something to learn there...

Jim
[quote]
On 2011-12-09 11:31, J-Mac wrote:
Who really cares?
[/quote]
Amen to that Jim.
After waiting four months waiting for an order I sent Roy an email asking what was up. No reply.

So I complained to the Better Business Bureau, The US Postal Inspector, PayPal, and the Canadian Consumer Protection Agency.

At this point I just want the money back.
Do remember what month and year you made the order?
[quote]
On 2011-12-15 01:32, billappleton wrote:
After waiting four months waiting for an order I sent Roy an email asking what was up. No reply.

So I complained to the Better Business Bureau, The US Postal Inspector, PayPal, and the Canadian Consumer Protection Agency.

[/quote]

No, no, Bill, remember what we were told earlier in this thread - you're just not cut out for custom coins. ;)
I think it is so cool of you Dynamike to work Pro Bono Publico for all those still not with their coins. Does it extend to online retailers?
[quote]
On 2011-12-15 01:32, billappleton wrote:
[/quote]

If you are unable to get a refund, please update this thread with your experience. Taking too long in delivering a quality product is one thing - dishonestly keeping someone's money when no product is delivered is on quite another level of bad business practices IMO.
[quote]
On 2011-12-15 18:30, rklew64 wrote:
I think it is so cool of you Dynamike to work Pro Bono Publico for all those still not with their coins. Does it extend to online retailers?
[/quote]
Only if I was part of it and I see another complaint about that business. A couple of years ago someone started a thread on the worst magic shops. I noticed the same magic shop that tried to scam me was listed. It turned into a long thread with at least 15 pages with so many major complaints dealing with that one magic shop only. But now the thread no longer exist.

I ordered a DVD from the certain magic shop by Paypal. I tried emailing and calling them in two weeks to see what was taking so long. I received no response. In about a month I canceled my order with them through PayPal. A lot of members did not cancel their orders within the 6 week period. They never received their product or any response back from the company.

After the thread was deleted I started another thread about the shop: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=313703&forum=98
About a week ago I wrote to Roy about a problem with my Cartel Coins. He very generously mailed me, the next day, a free replacement coin plus teflon and an abrasive material to clean my set. In my experience his customer service is excellent.
The federal law for people doing business here in the USA is pretty clear:

If You Do not Receive the Merchandise

The FTC rule states that the business must ship your merchandise within 30 days after the business receives your properly completed order, or within the advertised time period.

A business that cannot meet this deadline must notify you and give you the option of canceling the order and a free method of doing so (such as a postage-paid card). If you tell the business to cancel the order, it must cancel the order and refund your cash, check, or money order within seven work days (or credit your credit card account within one billing period).

If the new shipping date is 30 days or less after the original deadline for shipping, the business can assume that you agree to the delay in delivery if you do not respond to the notice of delay. The business must get your agreement to any delay over 30 days.

The FTC rule also requires the mail order business to have a reasonable basis for their claims about shipping dates.
Hi Everyone ! It's me Roy Kueppers. I rarely visit the Café but was told of this thread and I decided to check it out. It's saddens me to read the negative posts more than you know and I feel the need to reply with some explanation and insight. First I'd like to say that there is nothing in the world I would rather do than what I am doing. I have dedicated my career to Manufacturing Magic products for the past 22 years and what a great ride it's been ! I am still as passionate today about it as I was when I started. I first became interested in Magic at the age of 10 when I received my first Magic kit. My Father was a Tool & Die maker and I followed his footsteps in machining Tools & Dies and Molds for plastic mold injection etc. I then combined my knowledge as a performer with my talents as a Machinist and My Coin Gaffing Career was Born. Not trying to bore you all with this but just want you to first understand how much passion I have for Magic.

I will try to briefly explain some of the factors that contribute to delays in orders, lack of communication etc in my next post that I will work on now !

Okay, I'm back ! I want you to know that my intentions are always of the purist nature with every customer. I care about each customer and realize I wouldn't be doing what I love each day if it weren't for them. There are so many factors that take part in delays that it's very hard to explain. But I'll try. Although everything I make is Magic related, not everything is Gaffed coins and Wands and coin boxes. I also manufacture hundreds of products for other Magicians that most of you are unaware of. Therefore the delays are sometimes because certain machines in my shop are unavailable and are set up for other projects. I do have some stock of my product line ready to ship but not very much. The stocked items are usually the "common collection" items and very few "silver collection" items. Even some of the common collection items are not stocked. It depends how many extras I have time to run off when I am filling an order of a specific item. I really try to reply to all of my emails as I receive them or at least within 24 hours but on average, I am receiving approx. 40 or so Magic related emails. There, some do get missed and by the next day I am so flooded with so many emails again that they become forgotten. I make dozens of notes a day in regards to who to respond to and what items have not been received etc. but there are only so many hours in a day and I need to separate my email hours from my shop hours. It's a Catch 22 because I need to reply to all my emails and I also need to be in the shop. I also try to answer the phone each time it rings ( about 25 times a day ). Anyone that knows me would agree that I am a people person and enjoy talking to whoever calls. I always answer questions over the phone and hear what people have to say or ask. I think customer relations are very important in this business. My wife helps me in the office with filling orders, packaging etc. and does what she can to help with emails but honestly, it has to be me that replies. This operation is more than a typical online retail shop where the order is received, packaged and shipped. Actually that does happen daily and my wife does help with that part but many of my phone calls and emails are related to custom orders and require me to assist and Quote etc. It has to be that way. I would want to deal directly with my craftsman if I wanted to have something custom made as well. So this takes up much of my time each day. Once again, If I'm not in the shop, the orders aren't being produced.

When I set a timeframe for a customer such as 1 week, I am not trying to make a promise that I can't keep. It is my full intention to keep that promise and realistically, the order may only take 2 or 3 hours to make so it is a very reasonable delivery date to reach. It's what happens the following days that bring on the delay. There is a long list of things that come into play that delay an order such as a machine break down, or a repeat order on a released product that a dealer or distributor is in great need for, or I have to order materials or spend more time on the phone with customers than a normal day etc. When I fill a large order of a product, I may have it scheduled as a 2 day job on a machine and then have a custom order scheduled right after it on the same machine. This would be great but sometimes, another large order of the same product comes in and I keep that machine running since its already set up to fill that next order. It now delays the custom order. This is one of many examples of how an order gets behind.

I know this is getting long and not sure if any of you are interested in the details so I will wrap it up in my next post with what I am doing to make myself more efficient and and what steps I'm taking to keep everyone happy.

I had a dream 22 years ago of what I would like my shop to be some day and it is almost there! It has been a long and expensive road but the reward is incredible! Everything I sell is manufactured by me and in my shop. I have many machines in my shop and I keep adding more to reduce delays in shipping orders. I want to be more efficient and am constantly striving to achieve that. I recently purchased a couple more machines and am now setting them up for production. This also causes some delays in orders but it has to be done to move forward. I promise you all that I am doing my very best to meet delivery deadlines and will find ways to be more organized to do so. I know that I need to structure things a bit differently to accomplish this and will do that. I receive many emails from satisfied customers each day so I know that I am on the right path and that most of my customers are happy with the service, delivery & quality of my products. But I do also occasionally receive emails of concern or disappointment and that I need to control by looking at what I can do to make them as happy as the others. I realize that it is impossible to please everyone and some may choose other coin gaffers products over mine and I am completely okay with that. I do not claim to be the best nor do I think that I am. I have absolutely no issues with Todd or Jamie and respect them as I think they do me!

I also want to mention a couple other common issues that delay orders. The postal system lets me down a great deal and I speak directly with them on occasion about it but I get nowhere. I have a 1% "lost in the mail rate". The post office tells me this is not bad but trying telling that to a customer that has waited for a few weeks for a package that they were promised would arrive in a week or less as per the post offices delivery standards. Not easy to explain because the customer either believes me and allows me to reship or refund in which I lose either way because I will do what the customer chooses. The only solution to this is that each buyer pays the extra for tracking but even that system isn't the greatest through the post office because you have to wait 30 days before filing a claim. UPS courier is the best because but expensive. It can at least be tracked along the way. The post office tracking only shows proof of shipment but will not track day to day. Unfortunately, although the post office is so huge as a business in comparison to me and yet they have delivery issues also.

I would also like to ask that if you do not get a reply to your emails, please be persistent and email again until I do reply. As you know, when an email comes in, it is at the top of the list so when you resend the email, it will be at the top again. A big concern of mine as well with emails is that sometimes, they are sent to my spam or junk mail folders and I never actually receive them in my inbox. I definitely need to check these folders more often as I sometimes find them weeks or even months later. I realize that the senders are assuming I receive them and are upset with not receiving a reply.

In final I want to let you all know that I will always do my best to keep all customers happy and now that I have visited this thread, I am more aware of the issues and will strive even harder to do better. That is a promise! I have a 17 year old son named Shawn Roy Kueppers that is learning under me and will hopefully carry on the business thru the next generation. I myself will not retire from this unless Health stops me.

I would like very much to see this thread end by giving nobody a reason to add negative comments and that is now my goal! Sorry to those that have been disappointed and thanks for pointing out your concerns and making me more aware and thanks also to those that have replied with positive comments !

Sincerely,
Roy Kueppers
Roy,

First, thanks for taking the time to post here on the Café.

Everything you wrote confirms my previously held positive impressions regarding your business practices.

My only suggestion to you is that you should ALWAYS estimate longer than you think it will take to do your custom work and that you should include a standardized message in every email concisely stating what you wrote above. If you lose a customer or two because of it you will gain immeasurably more in quality of life.

If you would like some assistance in composing a concise statement to go in your email, pm me and I'll help.

Again, thanks for taking the time to post here.

Alan
Roy
I'm glad you came on here too.I've been a customer of yours a while also.
Even when it takes longer than you say, the coins I get from you are excellent and well worth the wait. I support you all the way, buddy. Keep up the good work.
todd bowers from Charlotte, NC
I have ordered from Roy in the past as well, and when he was ready to get to work on my coins, he sent an email, asking me to call him. We discussed the work thoroughly. I was impressed with his sincere interest in the work. One man can only stretch himself so far, and Roy seems extremely flexible. The man is very busy, and came on this thread quickly, early on, page 1, to explain himself. That in itself was an unusual and quite open and customer-centered response. A little benefit of the doubt, a grain of salt, a touch of grace and empathy, an ounce of patience, and a little homework from the customer's side could only harmonize. Would be nice to see more people working in that direction.

Laurie
Thanks Todd ! Always nice talking to you on the phone and appreciate your business !
Thanks for the Post Laurie ! It's toughter than people realize to produce the amount of products that I do and basically be a one man show ! Having said that, I also understand that customer service is very important and can only do my best to try and make that second to none !
Great to see a reply from you here, Roy! Thanks for commenting.

Take care.

Jim
Roy, I don't know you, but figured you're a first class guy. Also figured time management was an issue. Looks like you're doing better in that area. And figured you just needed more help! An assistant, in addition to your wife, or an apprentice to carry on your legacy. Glad you now have your son involved. By far the biggest problem you've been having is timely delivery with your products, summed up: Keeping your word. I keep thinking it would be wise for you to adopt the motto: "Under Promise, Over Deliver" as your mantra.

Thank you for taking your time to address this Board. It would be a real privilege to meet you someday. Tom
You're very welcome, Roy. :)
[quote]
On 2011-12-15 19:34, BanzaiMagic wrote:
please update this thread with your experience.
[/quote]

My complaint was resolved satisfactorily thanks Roy.
Thanks Roy. Hope you and your family have very merry Christmas.
todd
I can understand you did not like the negative remarks Roy. No one had any intentions to hurt your your business. The ones who were unsatisfied with your service (including myself) wanted to discuss this openly so there would be a solution. Thanks for taking your time to respond again on this thread.

It is good your wife is helping you. I am glad you are going to have your son assist you with your business too. Earlier I did give advise it would be better if you had help. I had a strong feeling you were behind with orders when I received mine at a late notice. Some members were thinking since they received their orders on schedule, you needed no help. I do know you have bulk loads to finish by seeing your products with Jay Sankey, Mak Magic, etc.

I do feel BanzaiMagic was right when he posted, "My only suggestion to you is that you should ALWAYS estimate longer than you think it will take to do your custom work and that you should include a standardized message in every email concisely stating what you wrote above." That way, if an order is behind, your customer will understand because you noted it to them in advance.
Want to say something but better not say anything.

Happy Holidays everyone. Oy Vey.
After reading Roy's clear, honest, and lucid post...it's apparent that some of the other posters to this thread need (besides remedial English lessons) to look up, and understand the word [i]"disingenuous"[/i]...after which they should wear the word like a cloak-of-shame for their incredibly over the top and lame reaction to not getting their coins NOW, because they wanted them NOW, and wouldn't be happy if they didn't have them NOW.
[quote]
On 2011-12-19 09:59, silverking wrote:
After reading Roy's clear, honest, and lucid post..........it's apparent that some of the other posters to this thread need (besides remedial English lessons) to look up, and understand the word [i]"disingenuous"[/i]..........after which they should wear the word like a cloak-of-shame for their incredibly over the top and lame reaction to not getting their coins NOW, because they wanted them NOW, and wouldn't be happy if they didn't have them NOW.
[/quote]
After what Roy explained your post shows you are still the only one who is heated up NOW. It shows you are still not going to let the matter diffuse NOW. It shows you want to keep this thread with negligence NOW.

Roy took his time to read our post and explain a lot to the members and his customers. It is no need for you to be upset over this in the first place, you were not part of it. Go ahead and take a deep breath or something NOW.
I do remember receiving a PM from you a couple months back Bendy. You might want to send Roy a PM too. I believe he is still willing to help resolve the issue in some type of way.
I can't help but to feel under attack here Bendy ! Not a good feeling but my take is that you are trying to hurt me. If you are unhappy and feel this strongly about how bad of a person and craftsman I am, I would have appreciated more direct emails expressing your issues so I could have resolved them or at least came to reasonable results. Which is what I thought happened.

You are free to have your own personal opinion of me but what I will not accept is you accusing me of deliberately trying to sabotage your gaffs. That is simply ridiculous !

Any craftsman would agree that each and every item they produce is one of a kind. NO two are ever the same ! I admit that some items may not be as good s they could be but I think that goes without saying and is a natural result of hand crafted products. I will never put down another craftsmans products but I will say that I frequently receive emails from unhappy customers of Jamie and Todd and am regularly told that my products are superior and that they too have occassional issues with timely email responses and slow delivery times. I'm sure that is sometimes the case. I can relate but am obviously not alone. I know both of these guys and am familiar with their gaffs and I can honestly say that both are great Craftsman and I respect them both. I consider myself no better than either. just goes to show that us gaffers/manufacturers each have people that like us and that dislike us. No different than GM, Ford, Honda etc.

I will continue to evolve in quality and service in a positive way but I would be kidding myself to think that everybody will someday only choose me as their Gaffer. But that doesn't mean that I won't be forever hopeful !

Dynamike is right in believing that I would still be willing to resolve this issue even knowing how you feel about me and knowing that you will never purchase from me again.

Roy Kueppers
It's a pity that Bendy had a such a bad experience with Roy and is still upset. I really don't think this is the norm amongst Roy's customers. I am a repeat customer of Roy's and have nothing but praise for the quality and the customer service. My very first order took some time and I wasn't expecting that. I have since learned what is involved and I am happy to work around it. What I do now is phone first and make sure that the item that I want is in stock and then I know I will get it real fast. Otherwise I have to accept that the item will take much longer and will have to fit into Roy's schedule. Last week there were 3 coins that I wanted and he just happened to have made one of them for a special order and had a couple extra. The other two are not on his web page but once again he happened to have stock. This means he was able to put them in the mail the same day and I received them today. I couldn't be happier. There is a 4th coin that I would like but as he doesn't have it in stock at the moment I realise that it could take weeks or even months and so I haven't bothered ordering it. Roy is a really nice guy and he really does try hard to keep everyone happy.

Ed
I also have nothing but praise for Roy! My special order coin set arrived within 2 months of ordering it. Roy answered every email within 24 hours and sometimes within 5 minutes. My feelings are that Roy is going to do his best, and if there is a delay its justified! Thanks again Roy, I'll be ordering again in the future.

Rick Normand
Roy must always have one eye on his inbox, he answers all my emails promptly.
I just received my coins yesterday. Despite a longer waiting time, they are beautiful! They are exactly what I ordered, and made perfectly! Quite frankly, they were worth the wait. I'm positive my future orders will be with him as well. Thanks Roy!
I have said it in the past here, and Roy has just recently re-stated the fact: If you are unhappy with the results of the products you purchased from him - call him and talk to him about it. Since he personally manufactures everything, he is able to guarantee them for as long as his business is in existence.

That being said, I have never had a negative experience with Roy or any of his products. The only problem I have ever had stemmed from those things that are out of his hands (literally, once they are shipped) - the shipping company and the customs department. Even so, my orders have usually come within a week or two of ordering them - even a few custom orders I have placed. I understand the problems with shipping companies and customs because I also ship food items to customers in Canada and have had my share of delays.

Roy, I hope you and your family have a fun, safe and Happy Christmas!

Joaquin