(Close Window)
Topic: How many of these "most famous" scientists have you heard of?
http://is.gd/XHgbmO
Familiar with all in the top 25 except Oliver Lodge, Karl Pearson, James Jeans, and Ray Lankester.
Rather a comical metric: They count instances of the names in books. And how odd that two philosophers--Russell and Whitehead--a mathematician--Pearson--and a science fiction writer--Asimov--made the top 25.

And is it just me or is the list a tad Anglo-American?

John
Asimov had a PhD in biochemistry and was a science consultant for World Book Encyclopedia. Now if they'd picked Harlan Ellison or Spider Robinson, I could see your complaint.
Well, Magnus, since the method is to count the frequency of the names in English-language books, the preponderance of English & American names is not surprising. You do have Bernard, Bohr, Planck, Pasteur, Curie, Koch, and Weizmann - although Weizmann had a post at Manchester. The omission of real scientific heavyweights such as Helmholtz, Virchow, Nernst, Schroedinger, Golgi, Metchnikoff, Ehrlich, Mendeleev, Maxwell, De Broglie, Dirac, etc. is indeed surprising.
Woland-

Actually, there are 4,169 names on the list provided at the link. All of the ones you've mention, with the exception of Metchnikoff and Dirac are, in fact on the list. (No, I didn't go through the whole thing, but there is a search function at the top of the list and you can also view the list broken down into various categories.)

Bob
Skimming the first page most look familiar. I even remember what some of them did! :)
Thanks, Bob - I only looked at the Top 25.
Also the list was compiled by the frequency in which the scientist's name appeared on the cover of a scientific book. Asimov was very prolific and a lot of his output was of a fact-based scientific nature as well as "science fiction." (He admits a little embarrassment that one of his books was a manual on how to use a slide rule, published just about the time calculators were becoming the vogue and slide rules were on the way out!)

No. If scientific based books written (or compiled/edited) by the scientist was the basis of the list, then Asimov belongs here, right where he is!
Lewis Carroll in the top 10? I'm a fan, but even if you count his contributions to Mathematics and Logic, that's quite a stretch. And Maxwell doesn't show up until the 90s? This is really bizarre.
Well, landmark, it's based on the frequency of their names appearing in English-language books, I think, not based on an assessment of their actual contributions.
I only know 47, and only two are well known magicians.