(Close Window)
Topic: What is the most $$$ you ever spent on a book?
What is the most you ever spent on a book?
Which one - and why did you have to own a copy?
I've never really paid an outlandish amount for any of my books. I believe the most I've ever spent on a single [magic] book was $75 for Harry Lorayne's The Classic Collection Volume 2. I got it mainly for Controlled Spelling and the HaLo Aces effects, although I have found many other great things in there as well.

Although you didn't ask, I think it would be interesting to hear if people thought it was worth the price. And to answer my own question: Yes!
One hundred GBP for The Compleat Invocation (Vols 1 & 2 - single volume hardback edition, 1986). It was a lot of money to me at the time! Masses of highly stimulating material, though many presentations are not to my taste.

Also the Karl Fulves sets: The Pallbearers Review (Vols 1-10 in three hardback volumes, 1993) and The Chronicles (hardback, 1997). I think I paid about 150 GBP for the lot. Brilliant encyclopaedic stuff. Worth every penny.

Mike
I bought the Siegfried and Roy tribute book.
More than I would care to think about for some of my rarer magic books..........Same for some of my general library books...........= O

regards,
Dr. Albo books. Think the most I paid for one of those was $300. Ultimate Okito is on my want list if I can find a copy when I am ready! Bill is the Siegfried and Roy tribute book the one that has the items stuck on the pages (letters etc)?
M.I.N.T - Vol 1 and 2
[quote]
On 2011-06-03 15:44, Banester wrote:
Dr. Albo books. Think the most I paid for one of those was $300. Ultimate Okito is on my want list if I can find a copy when I am ready! Bill is the Siegfried and Roy tribute book the one that has the items stuck on the pages (letters etc)?
[/quote]

Yes, that's the one. This book is an example of a really well-produced magical experience. It even has some DVD's with it.
I paid $300 US for a 1st edition 5th impression of Greater Magic
That's probably about right for that particular book. There are people who collect variations on [i]Greater Magic[/i]. When I got my first copy, they were still available for about $15.00. There were THOUSANDS of copies of this book printed. This would have been in the 1950's. I sold all of my books about 1961.

When I got back into magic in 1972, it took me a long time to find a copy. They were selling for $285 - $325 back then. They weren't really rare, but everyone wanted one. So that drove the price up.
I remember Al Flosso telling me that someone came into the store and told him Macy's had them on a dump table for 50 cents a piece. He bought as many as he could.
$125 for Kaufmans Greater Magic last month. $100 plus for a bunch of books required for graduate school - most a big rip off. Medical books are the worst and most expensive.
Here's a hint when buying books for school. Go online and buy the "Teacher's Edition" on the class or subject/s you're taking. This works especially well for grammar and high school classes.
I'm not a collector, the books I buy are for the value of the contents.

Several years ago I bought a copy of Neo-Magic. I think I paid around$85 for it.
The was way before the reprint came out or any talk of it.

I been fortunate to find many excellent out of print and hard to find books for a bargin, by being patient.
I've spent countless hours going through the many used book stores in the Detroit area and Ann Arbor, when I lived there.
I found a copy of Kaufman's Greater Magic for around $50.

Those bargains got harder to find as a result of the Internet and Abe Books.

Now I tend to look for bargains on Ebay.
Nine dollars.
A sphinx magazine PDF from Lybrary.
I haven't been in magic a long time though, so that's probably why I haven't spent much on books or DVDs.
[quote]
On 2011-12-27 17:11, henri loik wrote:
Nine dollars.
A sphinx magazine PDF from Lybrary.
I haven't been in magic a long time though, so that's probably why I haven't spent much on books or DVDs.
[/quote]

That is if you mean magic books. Obviously I've spent more than nine dollars on other books.
$500 (including buyer's premium) for Dr. Daley's personal copy of Stanyon's Magic, which he had bound into four hardcover volumes. Although it was expensive, I still don't regret it, as it really is a one-of-a-kind.

Jeff
Pleasant Nightmares for $60 because I am a big fan of magic spook shows
$1800 for Essential Robert-Houdin Elegance Edition but I got it for a better price...Also I spent a lot for Punx books, The Legendary Scroll of Maskelyn Ye Mage ( I have two now!) and many other. I just love books, in the past I have chosen many times not to have even the basics, even starving for days(!) in order to save the money for a book!

You are now a true collector. Welcome to the club. :)
[quote]
On 2012-01-18 21:59, Kevin Connolly wrote:

You are now a true collector. Welcome to the club. :)
[/quote]

I can name many other treasures I managed to collect all those years, very interesting website Kevin!
First edition Erdnase....but paid more for one of the original Dai Vernon $20 Manuscripts #12 of 12 copies.
[quote]
On 2011-12-24 16:59, motown wrote:
I'm not a collector, the books I buy are for the value of the contents.

Several years ago I bought a copy of Neo-Magic. I think I paid around$85 for it.
The was way before the reprint came out or any talk of it.

I been fortunate to find many excellent out of print and hard to find books for a bargin, by being patient.
I've spent countless hours going through the many used book stores in the Detroit area and Ann Arbor, when I lived there.
I found a copy of Kaufman's Greater Magic for around $50.

Those bargains got harder to find as a result of the Internet and Abe Books.

Now I tend to look for bargains on Ebay.
[/quote]

The book stores here are still a great place to pick up used magic books at a good price. Also the Wunderground Magic Shop always has some great bargains floating around on used books at fair prices. They're in Clawson just 15 minutes outside of Detroit Proper. Worth stopping in to look to see what they have - they rarely list their stuff on the net.
[i]Magic of Robert Harbin[/i] for more than I paid for my first car.

As for why, I wanted to get the real work on his chair suspension, the Zig Zag Lady and a whole host of other things.
Message: Posted by: Marshall Thornside (Jan 25, 2012 08:09PM)
I think most of the books in our collection were
gifts to my mom and dad.

Especially the one from Dr. Albo.

With the exception of the Tarbell Course
that my mom said my father had to have even
though he didn't need it. And purchased it from
Uncle Jay. Of course, we didn't know he was
in Vol. 6 until about 5 years ago.

Although, I personally bought Beating a
Dead Horse Book for $45. That's probably the
most...

Otherwise, all my college text books were expensive,
if we are county anything outside the magic realm.
I paid about $200 for my copy of Magicomedy.
Gosh, I can't wait til I can brag about something like this. I'm a relatively new professional and I'm still sinking money into equipment! Right now, I think the most expensive book purchase I've made is Tom Stone's Vortex for $50. As for most cash dropped on a book set, I picked up (or I should say, my folks picked up for me) the Tarbell Course in Magic for about $175 from Best Magic in Anaheim in the mid to late 90's. When I can afford it, I suppose I'd love to be able to pick up an autographed Houdini book. Any of those floating around?
"When I can afford it, I suppose I'd love to be able to pick up an autographed Houdini book. Any of those floating around?"

There's one floating now on ebay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1908-Harry-Houdini-Signed-Robert-Houdin-Book-Magic-/140654810489?pt=Antiquarian_Collectible&hash=item20bfae1579

Pete
[quote]NaathanPhan wrote: ... When I can afford it ... [/quote]
That's the key. The good news is that, with respect to long-gone magicians, Houdini's signature is by far the most common and readily obtainable, and if you'd be satisfied with his signature on correspondence (versus in books), over the next few years there may be a relative flood of documents bearing his signature.
Buy Houdini while you can. Whatever may or may not comes to the market, will eventually be absorbed.

With Houdini plays, books and movies in production, there is reason to buy the most desirable autograph in magic in 20th century. Houdini interest is steady, while the others come and go.
Lately, $125 for the Kaufman edition of Greater Magic last October. Historically, many books over a hundred dollars when I was in graduate school.
$350.00 for The Magic of Robert Houdin. L&L paid the postage.
[quote]
On 2012-02-22 16:11, Kevin Connolly wrote:
Buy Houdini while you can. Whatever may or may not comes to the market, will eventually be absorbed.

With Houdini plays, books and movies in production, there is reason to buy the most desirable autograph in magic in 20th century. Houdini interest is steady, while the others come and go.
[/quote]

However, as magicians and collectors die, their treasures reappear on the market. It's a big cycle. That's one reason the magic auctions are a good source for interesting items.
Someone just scored an 8 volume Tarbell set on Ebay for $119.00
I bought "Magic 1400-1950" by Steinmeyer for $135.00 on Amazon last month.
If I had $4000, I would buy the Albo set.
Three that are the most expensive I have ever bought. The Magic of Robert Harbin, The Unmasking of Robert Houdini autographed by Houdini, and Dictionaire Encyclopediques by Jacques Lacombe. Guess which one was the most expensive. And these three were the most desirable to me from a collector's point of view. Now, if I could just get an Albo set.
The original 1931 edition of Hofzinser's Card Conjuring from a Potter & Potter auction last year. It was something like $275.00. Auctions will kill you with that 20% buyer's premium.
For a single book, the most I've shelled out is $200 for a copy of Card Craft by J.K. Hartman.

For a set, I recently purchased Best of Friends 1&2 for $360. I would not have paid this much under normal circumstances, however these were part of Doug Henning's collection, given to Jim Steinmeyer to sell by Doug's widow, who in turn gave them to Andy Greget. That's where I bought them. They are my favorite part of my book collection due to the fact that they are signed by Harry Lorayne to Doug. Worth every penny to me.
$220 for the 8th edition of 'Greater Magic'.

$250 for a signed copy of John Mulholland's 'Beware Familiar Spirits'.
I think I paid $150 for The Secret Ways Of Al Baker. It's a beautiful book, worth every penny. Not a ton of effects from it that I use (not any, actually) but it got me into mentalism and especially billet work. I should re-read it now, probably see it with a whole new set of eyes.
I purchased the 5 volume set of Cervon's Castle Notebooks for $900. I bought them one volume at a time as they were released by L&L. By taking advantage of their 10% off when purchasing 3 items, I was able to get each volume for $180.

I had long been interested in these legendary notebooks and felt sure that they would increase in value over time, which for me, justified the cost.

I read them over a few months and then sold them for $1250.

I was lucky to sell them at that price. A complete set recently sold at auction for $1600, but that is generally not the case.
I paid $500 for the 4 book "Collectors Workshop Set of Goldston's Locked Books" in mint condition.
All four are bound in maroon leather with gold foil stamping on the fronts and spines. As with the originals, three of the books have hasps and locks.The set includes :
*4 BK Collector's Set - #53 out of 250* printed in 1991'
1) Great Magician's Tricks by Will Goldston (HB)
2) Exclusive Magical Secrets by Will Goldston (w/Hasp, Lock, & Key) (HB)
3) More Exclusive Magical Secrets by Will Goldston (w/Hasp, Lock, & Key) (HB)
4) Further Exclusive Magical Secrets by Will Goldston (w/Hasp, Lock, & Key) (HB)
I made a small glass display case for them. At $125 per book, when divided, I still think it was a bargain
as well as a good investment. Not to mention the great conversions surrounding the comparison
to the locked magic book in the Harry Potter movie.
Hi Guys,

So I was able to grab a deluxe Collectors edition of Apocalypse. What are your thoughts.
[quote]On Jun 18, 2016, 412zad0n wrote:
Hi Guys,

So I was able to grab a deluxe Collectors edition of Apocalypse. What are your thoughts. [/quote]
Are you enjoying reading them?

If so, you got a good deal.
Thanks Tim. Turns out I've become a magic book collector. Always looking for good magic within the pages of a book.
$350 for Roy Benson by Starlight.

And, it's WORTH IT!
Not a single book, but spent quite a lot on the 4 book deluxe set of the Vernon Chronicles. I am really enjoying going through them. Still on vol 1, so much more to go.
$170 CA for 1st edition Professional Card Magic by Cliff Green from the library of Col. Harlan Taylor.
$600 for "Mahatma" (leather bound set) from Kaufman and Greenburg. The set was limited to 350 cloth bound, and only 50 leather bound, I believe. I'm not sure it's the most expensive I've purchased, but it's certainly up there with the priciest ones I've collected.
‘Professional Secrets: A Life in Magic’ by Geoffrey Durham. It has excellent advice throughout. There’s currently a used copy on Amazon going for $675.00, which makes the $200.00 that I paid for it an absolute bargain.
Magic Rainbow- Tamariz. $200 CA
Been a while -- and I have had to sell some to survive medical bills --

The multi-volume and cased set of Doc ALBO'S Magic of Okito and some supplements (all exceptional in practical information and beauty) was about $1850.00 plus.

A complete set of Magick by Bascom Jones before Collector's compiled editions were issued several years later -- $750

The number 4 of limited edition (of 250) of the Complete Works of C. A. George Newman. $275 many years ago - they now go at auction for about $1000.

I have a floor to ceiling collection (48:x96") of mental/occult/bizarre and seance material plus a smaller 48" x 36" bookcase of materials on and in support of "readings, cold, hot and magical. The materials in the floor to ceiling collection usually ran between $35 to $150 per volume, the readings material (exclusive of the complete and very detailed handwriting analysis looseleaf volumes ran an average of $35 a book with the handwriting course running about $750 at the time.

I hope to not sell these volumes to raise living funds and to find somewhere or someone (other than the Magic Castl, but more like the NY Public Library for a permanent collection donation as part of my estate -- and being 78 now I have to think of that.

And, probably as you already know, unless someone active in the trade or craft is interested in the contents for use or research,to civilians the books are not even worth the paper they are printed on even for reporters and expose' writers who would attack "true belief"and fraud by using exposure of these show business and magician's principles and routines.
Sounds like a wonderful library Chmara.
Good for you. I hope it brings you joy. Nothing compares to a personal library.