(Close Window)
Topic: 3 balls
Message: Posted by: J.G. the magnificent (Jun 3, 2011 08:29PM)
Intersted in reading material on the old three ball effects. Also three and three ball in a net.
Frank Garcia, THE REAL SECRETS OF THE THREE- BALL ROUTINE, 1978.

It may be difficult to find but still the best work on the subject.
David Roth has a Three Ball Routine on DVD and in print.
The original Silent Mora " Balls and Net" manuscript is available from Jay Leslie at thehouseofenchantment.com .
John luka has a nice routine in print in both of his books. sol stone also has a nice 3 ball routine in his video.
the luka routine has a startling beginning.
According to something Dai Vernon mentioned on the WGM DVD about the 3 ball trick, he learned it from the description in Edwin Sachs' book Sleight of Hand. The chapter in question is very circumspect when describing the trick. It is the chapter on Chinese Magic. I do have the book, but I have to say you'd need to be a magical marvel like Vernon to get much from the description there.

Aldo Colombini has a version of it as well. See his website.

-Patrick
Scarne's routine in the orirginal "Stars of Magic".
Message: Posted by: J.G. the magnificent (Jun 4, 2011 10:00AM)
Thanks all big help I think I have more than enough to add to my list. Still more is appreciated though. Can never do to much reading.
If you want to actually see a mash up of John Luka and the Vernon version on youtube. You can go here. This guy also lists several other good sources on the subject, via video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jq0sIIb3q4
Love that handling Kent! Excellent.
The only method I know so far is from the Roth DVD.
Johnny Thompson's handling is well worth giving a try (on vol. 1 of his dvd collection)
Johnny's is the best I have seen. It has the best way of doing the necessary move.
WGM Series has a DVD dedicated to the 3 ball trick.. It is quite good..
Ed Marlo's [b]Silver Spheres[/b] from Racherbaumer's [i]Arcade Dreams[/i], pp. 170-180.
Anybody know where to the get the rubber balls used in the Roth routine. Just want the solid color red or blue or yellow. Don't want to buy wholesale/bulk. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

-Frank
Message: Posted by: cupsandballsmagic (Sep 21, 2011 04:07PM)
You can go "high end" and use Fakini's or go to a toy shop and pick up some power balls...
The last time I saw a magic shop packaging of Roth's routine, it came with three play balls such as what you would find in a vending machine. You can usually buy an assortment bag at toy shops for a few dollars.
The Johnny Thompson routine (one of my favorites and also the best I have seen) if desired, is available by itself from http://www.yourmagic.com but if you get Volume 1 of Commercial Classics, you get more material. Either way, both are very much worth the money.

I also happen to like the Roth routine.
John Rogers has a stand up version called, "Walrus 3 Ball Routine."
Danny Archer's three ball routine is worth a look as well
[quote]
On 2011-09-21 16:49, Frankm6 wrote:
Anybody know where to the get the rubber balls used in the Roth routine. Just want the solid color red or blue or yellow. Don't want to buy wholesale/bulk. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

-Frank
[/quote]

Its hard to find 4 same solid color superballs in a package together...You could get lucky it a vending machien if you ha da lot of quarters to try with...I lucked out this summer on the Wildwood NJ boardwalk in an arcade...I was able to pick 4 solid balls from a bin...
Romaine has the Perplexing Pearls on his manipulation DVD from MagicMakers.
[quote]
On 2011-09-22 08:18, tm613 wrote:
[quote]
On 2011-09-21 16:49, Frankm6 wrote:

Thanks,

-Frank
[/quote]

Its hard to find 4 same solid color superballs in a package together...You could get lucky it a vending machien if you ha da lot of quarters to try with...I lucked out this summer on the Wildwood NJ boardwalk in an arcade...I was able to pick 4 solid balls from a bin...
[/quote]

You can try here:

http://www.orientaltrading.com/neon-bouncing-balls-a2-39_1109.fltr?prodCatId=389122&tabId=4

You're bound to find four of the same color out of 144 balls, and have enough left over to sell to your magic friends!
On the WGM video, there are several different kinds of balls used by different performers. Johnny Thompson appears to use the same crochet balls that come with most cup and ball sets. Nice routine. Fernando Keops appears to use red lacquered wood balls. I found that these work fine with the Vernon move (mine are clear-coated), but not with the version of the move that Thompson credits to Oscar Pladduck (the spelling may be wrong, I'm going by what I heard). Roth uses rubber balls. I love his patter. His move isn't much different from the one Thompson uses and looks really darned good.

I've been working on this trick for a while and use rubber balls. I got them in a set of 5 at a toy store. They came in a clampack and were hanging on a rack. The deceptively simple move is rather harder than it looks! At least, the move isn't hard, but making it look clean and smooth is challenging. I'm finding this a really worthwhile trick. So far, I am doing it impromptu and just dropping the balls into my hat while it sits on a table.

-Patrick
Message: Posted by: J.G. the magnificent (Sep 22, 2011 03:57PM)
All these are very good thanks will definetly add recomendations to my list.
I have been using the Fakini Balls for the three ball routines by David Roth and Frank Garcia.

I cannot recommend the Frank Garcia Book enough...it is really a good book.

I have used the Crochet balls , the Sherwood balls and regular Super balls as well.

The Draun routine is also a good one with a cool story about pearls if you can find white balls.
For the Draun routine I have used Marbles as well. The Draun Routine is in his book Secrets Draun from the Underground by Richard Kaufman.

Once you learn the moves it is easy enough to adapt.
Mike
Message: Posted by: J.G. the magnificent (Sep 22, 2011 08:11PM)
If anyone needs white balls you could prabably use styrofoam ones sold in craft stores. They have some balls that have denser styrofoam that is very solid. They don't have much weight but could probably still be used. I could imagine cutting them in half and hollowing to insert fishing wight before gluing half's back together.
John Rogers used to sell a set of 1.25" silicon Fakini balls. This a rare size, you can't find them anywhere else. They are highly visible, any larger and you could not manipulate them for the effect. I use them with the Roth routine, when you perform Roth's climax for this trick it is extremely startling because of the size of the balls.

The average, "super ball" from a toy store is 1", the extra 0.25" per ball makes a big difference.
Donnie Buckley from Rings N Things - http://www.rnt2.com - has super balls available that are little billiard balls. I think they are just over 1 inch in size, and he has cue balls available. They are sold in sets of 4, all matching, for use in cups and balls routines.
I found a local magician did a wonderful job just using foil balls. He just crunched up foil wrap into a tightly shaped ball.

I was lucky enough to get a 1" set made by Pressley Guitar of Texas. They are made out of billiard ball material.
I remember seeing a set of stainless steel multiplying balls, which looked very nice. I have no idea if they are solid or hollow, but they were selling around $65-$70/USD and I think I saw them advertised through Steven's Magic Emporium. I cannot remember how big they were, but it was more than 1" - that part I am sure of.
[quote]
On 2011-09-22 23:06, wmhegbli wrote:

I found a local magician did a wonderful job just using foil balls. He just crunched up foil wrap into a tightly shaped ball.

[/quote]

See my post citing Marlo's [b]Silver Spheres[/b].

Brian
Message: Posted by: J.G. the magnificent (Sep 23, 2011 11:51PM)
Wonder if ball bearing's could be used?
They can....I got pin balls ...they are an inch in size and work great.
They are much heavier than regular balls and will take getting used to. I would advise learning the routines with both Rubber balls and pin balls if you go that route. It can cause some interesting surprises for the performer if you don't prep.
Mobius
[quote]
On 2011-06-04 11:25, kentfgunn wrote:
If you want to actually see a mash up of John Luka and the Vernon version on youtube. You can go here. This guy also lists several other good sources on the subject, via video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jq0sIIb3q4
[/quote]

You fooled me. Thank you!
I would think that ball bearings could be used except for the double rollup move that is common to many routines. As far as routines go, I'm partial to the Johnny Thompson routine.
An L.A. Pro, Lou Serrano has a truly magical experience for those who like the three ball trick. It uses ball bearings.

http://www.steelballmagic.com/

Highly recommended.

KG
Dollar stores and 'FiveBelow' are a magician's BEST and WORST friend.

I say 'best' because you can find all kinds of interesting props in great abundance and dirt cheap.

I say 'worst' because, unfortunately, you can also find pretty good tricks, dirt cheap, in their novelty section.
My local FiveBelow actually sells 'Card Warp' for 5 bux. Ugh.
There is a chain of stores in the US called "Party City." They sell the 1 inch "bouncy balls" in various colors as singles. During certain times of the year, you can find colors that are particularly appropriate for certain holidays. For example, during the Christmas season, you can find red balls and green balls, which can be purchased individually. During the Hallowe'en season, you can get black balls and orange balls.
Has anyone used ping pong balls for this effect? or are they to big to use.

thanks
Donnie
Ping Pong balls are kinda big but they can be used. They also tend to smash pretty easy or dent.

You must have huge hands Majik_1
Message: Posted by: J.G. the magnificent (Sep 25, 2011 03:12PM)
Not only are there ball selection enormous but you can find cups. Many other wonderfull items I have gotten odd ball things of all sorts there I cannot rave enough about that store. It is my favorite non magic magic shop. Craft supply stores are great too.

[quote]
On 2011-09-25 01:38, Bill Palmer wrote:
There is a chain of stores in the US called "Party City." They sell the 1 inch "bouncy balls" in various colors as singles. During certain times of the year, you can find colors that are particularly appropriate for certain holidays. For example, during the Christmas season, you can find red balls and green balls, which can be purchased individually. During the Hallowe'en season, you can get black balls and orange balls.
[/quote]
[quote]
On 2011-09-25 01:38, Bill Palmer wrote:
There is a chain of stores in the US called "Party City." They sell the 1 inch "bouncy balls" in various colors as singles.
[/quote]

I will have to keep that in mind - like William, I have found many other useful things there in the past for magic, but I have never seen these particular bouncy balls - unless they are the milky neon balls. Thanks for the info Bill!
I just remembered that you can buy the same balls used and sold by David Roth and they can be found here:

http://www.newyorkcoinmagic.net/roth.htm
I was lucky enough to find a double set of red, yellow and green 1" bouncy balls at a dollar store. I use them in a Defensive Driving course I teach on the weekends. The students really enjoy this bit, because they are not expecting it and what happens.
Regards,
John
David has always supplied super balls when the routine is purchased but always used silicone balls to perform as I recall.
The best are presley balls
The best balls are the ones you enjoy using . I had Presley balls and hated them. I like Fakinis. Johnny Thompson uses crochet balls. Marlo used foil balls . Just " Gidder Dun". What ever worx!
Excellent advice, Rich!
Ok yes I cant argue with that why did you hate presley balls please?
For me the tackyness of the fakinis make me feel like I have more control. the presley balls are just too slick for me. I just traded my Presley's way for a set of cups.
Message: Posted by: J.G. the magnificent (Oct 5, 2011 06:15PM)
Appologize if I sound ignorant or offensive haven't started three balls yet. However from watching videos of the effect looks as though it does not require good grip. They are just held in hand and slipped through the fingers. Can you explain padre rich? Just curous.
JG...it really depends on the sleight of hand your going to use more than anything else. Some balls work better for certain sleights.
Yes, some balls are better for certain moves/sleights than others, as Mobius points out, but there are other balls that will work with any sleight or move. If you practice with two or three different sets of balls, of varying materials and weights, you should be able to use any type out there.
I've been experimenting with MANY different types of material for balls. I am not actually convinced that the phenolic balls are the best (certainly not the best all rounder anyway.) They feel classy and elegant but I have quite dry hands and so I prefer the Fakini's for their "tack." Also I have one routine that uses more than the standard number and carrying the phenolic balls around is "clattery" and heavy.

I'm still looking into many other types of ball because the net I have is quite delicate too. One great aspect of them is the noise they make when they hit each other when dropped into the net. I have to say that I don't own Preslley guitar balls but they are made of the same material so I am assuming they handle and feel the same. Although mine are untreated.

For me, the jury is still out. I have been performing a routine of my own for a while and though it works with many types, I have still yet to settle on the "perfect" ball.
J.G- My last staemment was pretty self explanitory . This is for me . I prefer fakinis because I feel they give me the edge I need for my routine which uses all the standard moves and one of my own .Your question goes back to beginning of what I think is a question that no one can answer for anyone else "wha are the best ball" . Find out for yourself - use 'em all.