(Close Window)
Topic: Now I have a voice issue
For a man doing a little girl voice there are some challenges. I don't want to do just the falsetto. I guess it will come down to the speech patterns. Sally Ann is supposed to be in first grades that makes her 6.

My mentor did a wonderful job doing a voice for his character Cindy but sadly he is not here to learn from.

Any suggestions other than just observe?
Not knowing this character's personality, the first voice I hear in my head for a little girl is a Lily Tomlin like "Edith-Anne" voice. She had a chronically stuffed nose and the voice was a lower register - not falsetto.
Mr. G:

Welcome to the Café, I looked at your website and it is impressive; it looks like you have been doing this for quite awhile.

Buzz
Hi Neale, for ny girly voices it helps me a lot, to "think girly"!
It's a bit like thinking the "m" while saying a word with an m in a ventriloquists way...

Best wishes

Christoph
I like Mr. G's suggestion. As I mentioned elsewhere, my falsetto is comic in the wrong way, like Art Carney in drag in an episode of the Honeymooners or something. Not what I would want for a little girl character. Since I have been trying to put a little girl character in my act for a while, I may give the Edith-Anne idea a try.
I like the stuffy nose sound but my sheep already has that (he is allergic to wool)
I also agree it will come down to little girl speech patterns more than just tone.
The big question - how do you observe little girls at play without appearing creepy.
Oh! Yes, these days, that could get you in trouble......
Wish I had a suggestion for you, but I had a really nice female figure I ended up selling because I just couldn't do a female voice that I found satisfying either to my ears, or for the figure.
Neale -
Have you ever seen me wearing a baseball cap and sunglasses? With the mustache, I look like every predator ever sketched by a police department!

How about purchasing some Barney DVD's? You could use them to listen to the voices and maybe get some concepts for your routines.
Tom
[quote]
On 2011-07-06 23:57, tacrowl wrote:
Neale -
How about purchasing some Barney DVD's?
[/quote]

Really, Tom! Don't we all like Neale too much to put him through such agony?

Bob
Yes, watching Barney videos would definitely be going above and beyond the limits of human endurance.
Barney is scripted by writers who are adults. Children rarely talk like adult screenwriters, so you won't get much besides a headache and possibly an annoying song stuck in your brain from watching Barney. No, you need to watch some Charlie and Lola episodes. Two real little kids, they happen to be British, but their speech patterns are the real thing, unscripted I believe, then the conversations are animated. It's very charming and GENUINE. Check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeEy9GDluU8

David
Upon listening again, I'm thinking they are actually scripted, but they retain a naturalness that I find very believable.
Thanks Mr Pitts. I will check them out.
Come on - Barney is annoying to adults, but kids love that show. Neale was looking for examples of girl voices - and there were little girls on that show.

Better than observing them live. According to Peanut - puppet boys don't do well in jail...
Listen to the Junie B. Jones audiobooks. For volumes 1-16 she is in kindergarten, and volume 17 on she is in first grade. I think the reader -- Lana Quintal -- does a good job.
It's true, my kids once loved Barney. But the tone of the kids' dialogue (and there wasn't much dialogue - it's mostly a singing and dancing show) was showy and inauthentic. Listen to a Charlie and Lola episode. I think it might be more useful for developing a little girl character.
Another option is to turn to any of the Nickelodean/Disney stuff on TV and watch a few shows. After a while, you will pick up the mannerisms and speech patterns, without looking like you should be on America's Most wanted.
Or watch Shari Lewis with Lambchop.
[quote]
On 2011-07-09 13:50, Mike Maturen wrote:
. . . any of the Nickelodean/Disney stuff on TV and watch a few shows.
[/quote]

I don't know about this. I think that Disney and Nick have some of the absolutely worst acting on TV -- the dialog doesn't generally represent how kids talk (unless they are imitating the TV show, usually sarcastically). I think more scenery gets chewed up per hour on the Disney Channe than through any other venue (including magic shows).
Hey Neale....man it is good to be back on the forum :)

One of the things that made Lambchop so cool was that Shari made LCs voice very quiet, like a very shy little child. Perhaps going with a shy little girl voice would be adding a different tone, rather than just doing something high pitched.

On a related note, I find it really amusing that some of the most infamous cartoon voices of young boys on TV today are done by women. Bart Simpson comes to mind.....

Mark
How about Miss Piggy voice from The Muppet Show, Frank Oz did the voice. Well not for little girl, but very good for that kind of character.

I think falsetto whispery melodic will be nice for a little girl figure.